Author Topic: Top 25 Video Games Lists! v. CableX's "Worse Than My Top25 VG Music" (pg. 62)  (Read 231493 times)

Offline Randaran

• The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth
Re: The Top 25 Video Games Thread! v. The Age of the Scorpion (Pg. 5)
« Reply #245 on: July 17, 2014, 04:16:13 PM »
Rayman was my first game franchise. I prefer the first and third to the second, though it too is great. It is easily one of my favorite platforming series.
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol
My anime can beat up your anime.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #246 on: July 17, 2014, 05:31:52 PM »
While i played Rayman 2 a bit, i always leaned towards the Crash/Spyro series.
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #247 on: July 17, 2014, 09:26:30 PM »
11. Tomb Raider III: Adventures of Lara Croft (1998)

Shut up. It was 1998.

Yeah, the graphics of this game are definitely... questionable, all the more now, 16 years later. You know what else is a little substandard? Fucking nothing. This game is awesome if you can get over the admittedly outdated graphics. The four locations aren't just very different in looks, but also in the game mechanics, and the fact that you can choose the order in which you visit them makes the game a little more open. Not a lot, but Tomb Raider has never really been big on open-world, so I'll take what I can get. The story is typical Tomb Raider, but not bad, just nothing special. Plus, this game is really, really challenging, far more than most of the later installments, and to find the bonus level really requires some obsession, not just looking down the path on your left when a sign points to your right, as it seems to be in some games nowadays. Plus, you can explore Croft Manor, which is always fun. Again, this might be a case of nostalgia contributing its part to the rankings, as this was the first Tomb Raider that I played, but that's not the sole contributing factor, and I suspect that I would rate this game similarly high, even if it weren't my first of the series. If you don't mind some questionable graphics, then this is definitely a game that you should pick up, though I wouldn't advise for a Tomb Raider newcomer to start with this one.

Batman: Arkham City (2011)

One of the game's first boss fights.

Batman is cool, no doubt about that, but in a way that is hard to capture in a video game. Arkham Asylum wasn't bad, but it was definitely missing something that I can't quite name, not even now, after Arkham City fixed that. I guess it's the bigger world? Maybe. I really don't know. To get to the point of this, though, Arkham City is everything that I wanted from Arkham Asylum. Bigger world, more hidden stuff, better fighting system, better bad guy encounters... you name it, Arkham City has probably got it. As you might have noticed by now, I like open-world games, and this one is the epitome of that. The world isn't THAT big (not comparable, to, let's say, Fable), but it doesn't need to be, and it's imagined gorgeously. Nothing is just there, there's small details everywhere that convince you that the makers of this game didn't just slap a big world there to have one, but they really imagined every nook and cranny of it. Playing through the main story and all the side quests is easily a thing of 20 or more hours, and to find all the Riddler trophies hidden throughout (which I never quite managed, I think I was missing one or two) is another endeavor of epic proportions. If you like Batman as a character, then I can't imagine you not liking this game. (It also contains a Catwoman DLC, and it's pretty sweet.)
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #248 on: July 17, 2014, 09:40:12 PM »
Nice! Two more games I love. TRIII was the first TR I really got into, as it released right as my addiction to games solidified and I played the hell out of it. Those graphics were friggin' gorgeous for '98.  :lol :metal Arkham City is one of my favorite games of this recent generation, and you said what I feel. Except I would add that the game's extra costumes are magnificently magnificent. I cannot WAIT for Ark HamKnight.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
I tried Arkham City out, but couldn't get into it. I found the combat pretty boring because it's so easy, and the plot seemed to be nothing but forced excuse after excuse to give another Batman villian a cameo in the game.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #250 on: July 18, 2014, 10:17:44 PM »
Another two that I doubt anyone has played!

9. Scrapland (2005)

Ship combat is a large part of the game.

American McGee Presents: Scrapland, more commonly referred as Scrapland 'cause ain't nobody got time for dat is an open-world 3D game set on the asteroid Scrapland, in the robot city of Chimera and all its locations. You play as D-Tritus Debris, a robot that constructed himself from scrap parts and are assigned the position as a reporter upon arrival. You are quite quickly lured into investigating a series of murders, which are only remarkable because the murdered robot's matrices have been stolen from the Great Database, a machine that immediately allows reconstruction upon death, meaning that no-one is overly concerned with the concept of dying on Scrapland. As you work yourself through the game, you uncover a conspiracy with quite a few nice twists along the way. Plus, this is truly open-world, allowing you to go pretty much every where you want at any time and doing what you want, be it challenging other people to races, to combats, blowing up traffic ships and collecting the loot or stealing parked ships and selling them for money. You can explore both in your ship on the outside and on foot in the various buildings all across Chimera, and it's awesome. One thing there could be more of are side-quests, which are nearly non-existant, but given how a) great the story is and b) how much fun you can have even outside any given quest, it's really not a big deal.

8. Monkey Island II: LeChuck's Revenge (1991)

Side-by-side comparison of the original and the 2010 remake.

The Secret of Monkey Island was great. This one is even better. The whacky humour is back, as are the endearing anachronisms and the hilarious characters, but it's all amped up a notch. Stan the Used Boats Salesman is now a Used Coffin Salesman, because, as he figures, in this business, "unhappy customers are less likely to come back and complain", and he's great again. The puzzles just walk the line between whacky and completely unlogical, and zombie pirate LeChuck is a great villain. Plus, there's a truly baffling ending, which is still the cause of much discussion between Monkey Island fans today, simply due to the fact that on one hand it makes no sense at all, on the other hand, it makes a lot of sense - anyone who's played the game knows what I'm talking about. Plus, you can come across a telephone that allows your in-game character to call the LucasArts helpline. If that isn't cool, I don't know what is.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #251 on: July 18, 2014, 10:24:59 PM »
Arkham City is a great game.  I'm in the midst of Arkham Origins atm.  Can't wait for Arkham Knight... it's gonna be the catalyst that gets me to ps4.  Great franchise.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #252 on: July 19, 2014, 03:22:19 AM »
Arkham City is a great game.  I'm in the midst of Arkham Origins atm. 
Same! How far in are you? I'm digging it, though it's not nearly as smooth as City (the grappling to travel around the city is really awkward) and the story isn't as engaging.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #253 on: July 19, 2014, 09:42:10 AM »
Keep in mind that Arkham Origins isn't by Rocksteady (the Arkham series creators).
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #254 on: July 19, 2014, 09:57:26 AM »
Arkham City is a great game.  I'm in the midst of Arkham Origins atm. 
Same! How far in are you? I'm digging it, though it's not nearly as smooth as City (the grappling to travel around the city is really awkward) and the story isn't as engaging.

I'm about 1/3 of the way through.  I just played as the Joker, though it was a pretty much an enhanced/interactive cut scene.  I've only noticed a few times where the grappling was like 'WTF... throw it already!'... it doesn't always pickup the grapple point very quickly.  Otherwise, I'm enjoying it.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #255 on: July 20, 2014, 02:21:51 AM »
Moving on! Not long to go now!

7. Psychonauts (2005)

The insanity that is The Milkman Conspiracy, probably the best designed level in the game.

If there is one person in the gaming world that has not been involved with a weak game yet (some are better than others, sure, but none are bad), it's Tim Schafer, co-creator of the Monkey Island series and known for other awesome games like Grim Fandango or Day of the Tentacle. This game further proves that rule - it's amazing. It's a platformer, but oh man the design is frickin' glorious. You play as Raz, as young boy aspiring to become a Psychonaut, someone who can enter people's minds and psyches to obtain information, manipulate them or free them from their personal demons. Throughout the game, you explore a series of real world settings and mental settings, and while the real world doesn't really offer that much variety, that's more than made up for by the mental worlds, which are about as different as they could possibly be. Some of these worlds include the explosion-happy armed-to-the-teeth mind of a former soldier, the Spanish alleyways of a painter possessed by bullfights or the M. C. Escher-esque landscapes of The Milkman Conspiracy, set in the head of a paranoid asylum guard. Along the way, you gain various psychic abilities, ranging from Invisibility to Telekinesis to Psi-Blast, which you can use to attack pretty much everything. Add to that a fairly interesting plot with some nice twists and turns, great characters and some awesome humour, and you have a winning combination that just might be my favourite of all Tim Schafer games.

6. TRON 2.0 (2003)

TRON was a fairly awesome movie from 1982, about a guy that gets digitalised into the inside of a computer and fights viruses and stuff there. In 2003, we got an awesome sequel in form of a video game, creatively titled TRON 2.0, which the most recent TRON Legacy promptly discounts as canon.  :censored Anyway, that game sucked and this one doesn't, so I don't care much. Back on topic, this game is cool. It's a fairly straight-forward first person shooter with some platforming elements thrown in, but again, the environment is crafted so expertly that I just don't give a fuck about that. It all takes place within the digital world, and there are so many cool things that represent digital processes in a creative way (viruses corrupt you, security programs try to kill you if you don't have the correct identification, you need proper authorisation for pretty much anything) - basically, what makes this game so entertaining is that everything that you come across is explained by a counterpart in the digital world, and most of it actually makes a lot of sense. The graphics are a little outdated, but due to the way that they are presented, much like in XIII, that doesn't really matter at all. Plus, you have the light racers here that were made famous in the movie and that returned in TRON Legacy, and they're one of the few obligatory mini-games within a game that I don't despise, which is another plus.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 09:16:39 PM by Scorpion »

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #256 on: July 20, 2014, 03:55:24 AM »
Psychonauts never clicked for me. But I played it quite recently and never got engaged into the story and the graphics looked kinda lame on my computer. I know it's from 2005 and graphics aren't everything, and that's fine, except I didn't really get hooked on the story. If I had discovered it when I was younger and at the time it came out, I might have really liked it more.

Overall I gotta say your last few picks have had some really colorful games, judging from the pictures. Tron and Scrapland both look colorful and exciting.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #257 on: July 20, 2014, 04:05:14 AM »
Psychonauts never clicked for me. But I played it quite recently and never got engaged into the story and the graphics looked kinda lame on my computer. I know it's from 2005 and graphics aren't everything, and that's fine, except I didn't really get hooked on the story. If I had discovered it when I was younger and at thei time it came out, I might have really liked it more.

That's understandable. If I hadn't played Psychonauts with... I think I was 13 or so when I first played it, then I doubt that I would love it so much, but it just struck a chord with me, and that's probably a large part of why I love it so much, even today - though there was a time when Psychonauts topped my list.

Overall I gotta say your last few picks have had some really colorful games, judging from the pictures. Tron and Scrapland both look colorful and exciting.

That's a good thing, right? :D I have heard that as a negative in the past quite a few times ("It's doesn't have anything going for it, so they decided to just make it colorful to gloss over that." was the reaction of a friend to whom I lent Scrapland ages ago), so just checking. Anyway, I totally get that most people don't have a lot of time to play games, but most of the games on this list are sufficiently old enough so that you could probably find them rather cheaply, if you ever want to check them out.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #258 on: July 20, 2014, 04:48:15 AM »
I can only judge those games on the picture you provided, but they look colorful while still looking detailed and rich. There's something quite special about large and epic games where you find yourself stunned by the sheer size or epic feeling of your surroundings. I'm struggling to come up with examples, but I remember the first time I played WoW (which was also my first MMORPG) and just how stunned I was. I had played for 2-3 hours and explored one tiny island when I found out that the whole world in the game was like 100 times bigger than what I had seen in that short time. That's a sense of being in awe almost, you wanna play the game but you also can't help just looking at the environment.  :D

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #259 on: July 21, 2014, 02:36:09 AM »
5. Alice: Madness Returns (2011)

First section of the second level.

The Dollhouse in all its glory.

This is one of the most disturbing games that I have played. Other games are far better at all-out horror, but no game I know of is as twisted and dark as Alice: Madness Returns. Based on Lewis Caroll's character, the games' Alice is an adult, who has lost her family in a fire that she believes herself to be the cause of. Throughout the game, you traverse different locations in Wonderland, which are all beautifully designed, in order to find out more about a corrupt entity destroying Wonderland, and with it, your mind. While starting out beautiful, the levels get darker and more twisted as you go along, with everything culminating in level 5, The Dollhouse, which is probably the single most unsettling level in a video game that I have ever played. Yes, it's nothing spectacularly original, as far as the mechanics go (it's pretty much just as simple platformer), but holy hell, the story and the atmosphere throughout are really something else. Recommended for anyone that likes some psychological horror in their games - in my opinion, it doesn't get much better than this in the genre.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #260 on: July 21, 2014, 02:39:33 AM »
I'm late to the party, but it's nice to see XIII get some. Considering the way it ended, it's a shame it will never get a sequel. My favorite part in that game was when you infiltrate The XX's meeting in that castle. I remember thinking how mysterious, intriguing, and fun the story was.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #261 on: July 21, 2014, 03:27:22 AM »
Alice: Madness Returns intrigues me. I've never played it, but your description does make it sound pretty awesome. I don't mind the gameplay not being particularly innovative as long as it's not annoying, but story/atmosphere are what I like the most in my games. Might have to check it out!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #262 on: July 21, 2014, 03:32:55 AM »
If you're interested in how the game looks, have a look at these two videos.

Alice: Madness Returns - Teaser Trailer
Alice: Madness Returns - Launch Trailer

The first one was released pretty early and the game doesn't really look quite that good, nor do the areas shown actually exist in the game, but the real game is similar in tone and style.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #263 on: July 21, 2014, 10:07:01 AM »
I've never played anything from your Top 10, but I'm still intrigued to see the rest of your list. I also like the pace your list has, I never felt the updates take too long.  :tup
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #264 on: July 21, 2014, 10:17:32 AM »
Oh yeah, meant to say, I enjoyed Psychonauts quite a bit. Not amazing by any stretch, but a lot of fun and really good considering its small budget.

And I'm appalled that I still haven't played the Monkey Island games, they look right up my alley.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #265 on: July 21, 2014, 10:19:43 AM »
I also like the pace your list has, I never felt the updates take too long.  :tup

This verily, I feel that I may live to see the rest of the entries!

Also Psychonauts is so amazingly awesome and is a big reason why I love adventure games so much (and also emphasis on puzzles). It was a sleeper hit to be sure. But yeah for the most part your list is pretty obscure and I like that.

RIP DTP.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Sacul, can you put me on the waiting list, I posted on the front page but was never added.
Holy crap, how did I miss you twice? Just added you, sorry :angel:.

Oh, and btw, in what console did you play that Alice game?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 11:44:54 AM by Sacul »

Offline Cable

« Reply #267 on: July 21, 2014, 05:39:18 PM »
I've never played anything from your Top 10, but I'm still intrigued to see the rest of your list. I also like the pace your list has, I never felt the updates take too long.  :tup

+1 across the board.
---

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member

PC. Not sure if I mentioned that already, but I have only ever played on PC. I never had any other gaming consoles.

Offline Cable

PC. Not sure if I mentioned that already, but I have only ever played on PC. I never had any other gaming consoles.

Curious if a couple of games will appear very soon here, based on your time periods of games (two decades+), and your exclusive system. But your list has been a great surprise, so I'm not expecting it! It also goes to show how many games almost fly under the radar on PCs.  :-\
---

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #270 on: July 21, 2014, 09:07:17 PM »
4. Dishonored (2012)

Some of the most difficult enemies throughout the game, especially as they cannot be brought down non-lethally - the Tall Boys.

As you probably know by now, there are a few things that, if executed properly, almost always make me speak positively about a game. One of these things is an open-world mechanic. The other (though that hasn't come up that much) is a game mechanic that allows the player to make choices throughout the game, with real consequences following the choices made. And while Dishonored isn't really very open-wold, at least not compared to proper open-world games, there are enough elements of the genre, like huge settings and plenty of side-quests to tickle my open-world fancy. Plus, the way you can make choices here is pretty great, and unlike other games with choices, where there's a different cut scene at the end, here the consequences are a lot more realistic. If you kill lots of people, some side-quests are blocked off, there are more rats and weepers around the city and many other people approach you in a different manner than if you go through the game killing few people (which is denoted by the Chaos Factor - High Chaos means lots of killed people, Low Chaos means few killed people). But enough of that, because that's not the only cool thing about this game. The whole atmosphere is amazing - the setting is pretty much a steampunk version of Victorian London (though in-game, it's called Dunwall, but eh), and the whole world is designed so amazingly that I can't help but be enraptured by it. In addition to that, there is a whole back-story to the world that's just waiting to be uncovered, lots of side-missions, super-powers that never make things too easy - especially when you encounter enemies that have them too... really, everything about this game is amazing (except the AI dialogue, which is embarassing). And if you want a challenge, try going through this game on the hardest difficulty without killing anyone. It can be done, but it is really really hard... though very rewarding if you manage it, and requires a whole lot more thinking than the "let's kill everything in our path" approach. Really, that's what's so great about Dishonored, in a nutshell - there's two completely different games hidden in here, who just happen to share a plot, depending on the approach that you choose.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #271 on: July 21, 2014, 09:18:38 PM »
Now this is an update I can appreciate the hell out of.  Fantastic game.  Although, I was quiet disappointed with the final 'boss'... I just slowed time, and blinked right up to him and BOOM!  Haven't gone back to it, but I suspect sometime I will.  It was a terrific game.  Very much a feel like Assassin's Creed, but much more complex gameplay, story and how to use your powers.  Loved this one.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #272 on: July 21, 2014, 09:39:15 PM »
I don't know if I missed something while playing it, but it was a huge disappointment for me. The main story is quite short and nothing too original. I heard that if I finished it on 6 hours or less, I was doing it wrong and not exploiting the side-quests and the powers. So I replayed the game, trying to find all the damn stones and "side-missions". But what I found was that with 2 or 3 powers was enough, and that the only secondary quests were a) unlocking a strongbox, b) rescuing somebody, or c) killing some of those assassins with powers. And then I found the game to be really linear.  Killing affects people in the city? Man, besides enemies, I've only seen 2 or 3 civilians on the whole game.
But I didn't expect that plot twist on the middle of the game - it was certainly interesting. I was thinking of giving the DLCs an opportunity since they seemed interesting, though. The bottom line is, I don't think is a bad game at all, but it didn't survived to my hype, it wasn't what I expected.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #273 on: July 21, 2014, 11:00:15 PM »
I couldn't get into this one. I didn't dislike it, but I didn't have any motivation to continue the story past about the halfway mark. It's cool and I enjoyed my time with it but I didn't love it. There were other games too similar to it that I liked a lot more. Nice write up though and perhaps one day during the inevitable droughts I'll revisit it and hopefully finish it!

RIP DTP.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #274 on: July 22, 2014, 02:47:20 AM »
Late to the party, but following this. Lots of interesting games on your list that I haven't played yet Tom :tup

Online Skeever

« Reply #275 on: July 22, 2014, 04:36:09 AM »
Really awesome list so far!

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #276 on: July 22, 2014, 07:36:51 AM »
The other (though that hasn't come up that much) is a game mechanic that allows the player to make choices throughout the game, with real consequences following the choices made.

Have you played Heavy Rain?  Pretty much every choice you make effects something else in the game down the line, and there are more than a few endings.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #277 on: July 22, 2014, 08:20:52 AM »
The other (though that hasn't come up that much) is a game mechanic that allows the player to make choices throughout the game, with real consequences following the choices made.

Have you played Heavy Rain?  Pretty much every choice you make effects something else in the game down the line, and there are more than a few endings.

I have not! Sounds like I'd enjoy it though, I'll have a looksie into it.

Offline soundgarden

« Reply #278 on: July 22, 2014, 10:01:19 AM »
Definitely agree with Dishonored.  A great art-style / culture in a game always draws me in and Dishonored really did it well.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #279 on: July 22, 2014, 11:45:46 PM »
3. Prince of Persia: Warrior Within (2004)

This is probably an unpopular choice for favourite of the Prince of Persia series, let alone Top 3 of all games, but I don't care, because this game is awesome. Yes, it's a lot more gory than the first one, and the soundtrack isn't as good, but I don't really care about that, because I really really love the story, and the atmosphere. The whole thing is set on only one island, but it's really big anyway, has plenty of awesome locations that differ quite a bit from each other, making it a varied game. Plus, there are some really awesome time-travel elements here, not just the "I can rewind time when something goes wrong" from the first game - the whole story is based on time-travel, its consequences and its inherent dangers. It's also a lot longer than you probably think, because... well, let's just say there's a part about half-way through the game where you think it's over, but it really isn't. What else? Oh yeah, combat is really really good, with there being quite a few cool combos, the option to pick up the weapons of fallen enemies, and there are a few really good, varied boss fights throughout the game - plus, multiple endings. Though what sort of sucks is that the ending that most people will get is actually the wrong one, because the sequel continues from the other one. But I digress. This game is awesome, has a great, intricate plot with a lot of time-travelling that is used in an awesome way, and it's just all-around a lot of fun.