Author Topic: Top 25 Video Games Lists! v. CableX's "Worse Than My Top25 VG Music" (pg. 62)  (Read 231534 times)

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

Yeah!  I may not comment much, but I'm always following.

Same here. I may not contribute much due to the fact that I haven't played a lot of these games, but I still enjoy reading the write-ups to them.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
8. Super Mario Sunshine (2002)

The first game I got for my gamecube that didn't come with the box (Melee), this glorious game is still my favorite entry in the Main line Mario story. The story as a little kid had me deeply invested, I wanted to clear Mario's name desperately, and I had a shit ton of fun doing. The addition of F.L.U.D.D. was a very welcome addition to Mario games, it added a ton of dynamic to how you could play, and spraying enemies in the face tickled my fancy. The level designs in this were absolutely gorgeous as well, and how they represented the paint and toxic filth was perfect, it just looked like a blight on the landscape.

Overall, the best addition to the Mario series, there's not really anything you can fault this game with, it's the perfect addition to a legendary series.

Offline adace

Not my favorite Mario game but still a classic. :tup

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
I quite liked Sunshine, especially all of the fun moves with the FLUDD. I gave up on it because of the ridiculous platforming levels though. Mario actually has too many moves, so he'll randomly kick jump off a platform or do a flip jump to his death instead of what you want him to do. And platforming in 3D is retarded enough to begin with. :lol
Not sure which I prefer out of this or Mario 64 gameplay-wise, haven't played any more recent Mario games. They don't compare to the 2D ones like SMW though.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
I'd definitely take Sunshine over 64. I think they really refined the gameplay and design a lot in this game, and the FLUDD is an interesting and unique addition that works very well. It's great visually, aswell.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
I'd definitely take Sunshine over 64. I think they really refined the gameplay and design a lot in this game, and the FLUDD is an interesting and unique addition that works very well. It's great visually, aswell.

I agree with all of that, except that I still overall had more fun with Mario 64, mostly just because of those impossible platforming levels without the FLUDD stopping my progress completely. Mario 64 is rough around the edges and shows its age even compared to later platformers on the 64.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
Just bought it last week. Damn shame I can't start playing it til my memory card arrives in the mail though.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
I agree with all of that, except that I still overall had more fun with Mario 64, mostly just because of those impossible platforming levels without the FLUDD stopping my progress completely. Mario 64 is rough around the edges and shows its age even compared to later platformers on the 64.
I was irritated by a few of those platform stages in Sunshine aswell, but I managed to get through them, I guess they didn't bother me as much as they did you. My memory is probably faulty but I didn't think they were mandatory.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
I was irritated by a few of those platform stages in Sunshine aswell, but I managed to get through them, I guess they didn't bother me as much as they did you. My memory is probably faulty but I didn't think they were mandatory.

You can of course do others things, as those games aren't linear, but at some point you do have to do those platforming levels to be able to progress. Some were easier than others, but that kind of platforming in 3D is too fundamentally flawed to rely on to that degree imo, so it wasn't even fun hard for me, it was just frustrating.
If it weren't for those levels, it would be no contest that I'd prefer it over Mario 64. It's high quality, as Mario games always are.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
Oh trust me, some of them were definitely frustrating and not fun-hard for me aswell. I must just have a higher threshold for pain. :lol

I'd say the flaw is that they aren't optional. I remember the game having some optional ones of those platform stages, because I do remember getting too annoyed at one or two of them, but I still defeated Bowser and finished the game despite skipping them. So that's probably why I don't remember there being mandatory stages.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
Oh trust me, some of them were definitely frustrating and not fun-hard for me aswell. I must just have a higher threshold for pain. :lol

I'd say the flaw is that they aren't optional. I remember the game having some optional ones of those platform stages, because I do remember getting too annoyed at one or two of them, but I still defeated Bowser and finished the game despite skipping them. So that's probably why I don't remember there being mandatory stages.

Maybe I just didn't manage to find the next level/thing that I was able to do, I don't know. It's been a little while since I last played it. I'm a pretty casual gamer these days, so I'm sure my pain threshold isn't too high.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
I remember trying to play it on a GC emulator some years ago - it seemed a decent game, but it quickly bored me. My nostalgia makes me prefer the 64 edition, but damn, the Galaxy series is close. It was really amazing how Nintendo refreshed the franchise with two amazing titles - Mario in space!. Yeah, they are easy to finish, but difficult as hell to 100% complete them.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
I played a little Galaxy on a friend's system (I don't have a Wii) a few years ago. Didn't see what all the fuss was about to be honest.

Offline Xenon

I'm re-playing Mass effect trilogy. Oh the feels.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
 :millahhhh
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 04:18:09 PM by TioJorge »

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
Why the FUCK are we talking avout Mass Effect in here you moffa fuckas
EDIT: I've got an update coming, this game is the tits.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 04:25:56 PM by Dark Castle »

Offline Xenon

Sorry I thought this was the Video game thread, not the TOP 25. My bad.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

Never really gave Sunshine a chance.... maybe someday, as I own both the game and a Cube. Was never into 64, but Galaxy was the shit!
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline Cable

Never really gave Sunshine a chance.... maybe someday, as I own both the game and a Cube. Was never into 64, but Galaxy was the shit!

Agreed about Galaxy. I did not play Sunshine, but my one friend said he liked it as he showed me 5 minutes of it. I am one of the few people that is not over the moon for Mario 64 I guess. Not sure if it was a launch title, but too hard due to the 1st real Nintendo attempt at 3D platforming I felt.
---

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
Please remove me from the list. I might not live to see it.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Are you sure? Maybe Dark Castle needs a small rush.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX

7. Halo Reach
Best Halo game for me, played and continue to play with friends, GRIFF BALL amirite? Campaign is no slouch either, and multiplayer maps and modes are fantastic.
6. Mario Kart 8
Easily the best entry in the series, you know Mario Kart, but this takes it to the umpteenth level. Play it yourself, don't be a fuck and just get a Wii-U already
5. Super Smash Bros Brawl
My favorite, from the gameplay to the character list. The new ones are sure to overtake but this series just gets better and better
4. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
Fantastic game, great story, gameplay is fun as heckles
3. Pokemon Colosseum
Controversially my favorite Pokemon game. The protagonist is the most radular ever, underground pokemon fighting, and rescuing pokemon from evil as fuck dudes combine to make me love everything about this game.
2. Red Dead Redemption
Everything is fantastic about this game
1. Wind Waker
Best Zelda game, best game period. Ocean exploration is fun you naysaying babies, gorgeous art style, fantastic dungeon design, and a story full of heart, drama, and action.

There, how's that for you  :censored
My fucking apologies school has picked up and I choose to prioritize that first over this. I should have known to predict my future and have seen how busy school was going to get what with Lab groups we don't get to pick until the first day of class.
Just move on to the next person,

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
Great finish! Not a fan of the Zelda series (sacrilege, I know!), but both Halo Reach and Red Dead Redemption are some very worthy choices. Might have to replay the latter, it's been ages... If it interests anyone, I didn't mind your pace DC, of course real life should take priority over DTF! Hope it isn't too bad with school at the moment. :hug:
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
I would actually like to take on something like this, so sign me up if possible. :)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
Most of these games are far too new for me to have played. :lol

I think I've played Reach. All of those Halo games blur together for me, since I've never owned them, but played a decent amount of the multi-player with friends. They're always a ton of fun.
And I wouldn't even call Wind Waker the best Zelda game on the console, let alone the best Zelda game, let alone the best game. But my copy came with the bonus disc of OoT/Master Quest, so at least it came with the best game of all time. :P

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
of course real life should take priority over DTF!
Absolutely! But if things do get busy/stressful and mean you're holding people up here, it's generally a good idea to say so and put yourself on hold until things calm down, so that other people can have their turns.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
I guess I'll start now? Yes, I will. Don't hesitate to comment on DC's last update, though, I just want to get through this rather quickly, as I'd like to finish this in the not too distant future.

A note before I start: there are a few quite popular franchises in gaming that are not represented on this list. Blame my dad, as 90% of my gaming experience comes from raiding his chest of PC games. Sorry guys, there was never any Zelda in there.

25. Flatout 2 (2006)

Yes, this game is stupid and has no story. Yes, its main selling point is the ability to destroy your opponents cars in the races, which is completely ridiculous. Do I care? Not one bit. This game is one of the two games that I used to play regularly with my buddies during my time at boarding school, and, oh man, it's just insane amounts of fun. No matter if it's a derby event (a certain number of cars in a an arena - no rounds, just destruction, until only one is left) or a stunt (launching your driver through the windshield of your car at the right moment to achieve something, like scoring a goal on a soccer goal or performing a ski jump, jumping as far as you can), whenever we got our computers into our common room and fired up this little beauty, the following hours were always some of the best fun that I have had playing computer games. Note: the hilarity of this rises exponentionally if you are drunk while playing this, or start out sober and get more and more drunk while playing.

24. Fable - The Lost Chapters (2004)

This game is somewhat an anomaly on this list. As you'll notice, I don't really go in for RPGs at all, and this is one of the sole exceptions. Maybe it was because it was my first RPG, and after having 100%-ed (nearly!) this one, other RPGs didn't seem like a game worth my time? I dunno. Either way, this is cool. Yeah, the storyline is probably the least original thing ever - young hero's parents are murdered, he is taken in by a Guild, which teaches him magic and fighting and all that, after which he embarks into the world, accepting quests and side-quests, while deciding if he wants to be good or evil. A few things that set this apart from other RPGs: one, there are real impacts on the game later on, whether you're good or evil, not just stuff like "If I massacre the whole town, random NPC #26 will look at me disapprovingly four side-quests later", like I've seen in a few RPGs (probably not good ones, but, like I said, the whole genre isn't usually something that I delve into). It's also very open-worlded, and a very big world. Plus, you can't get everything in one playthrough, which, while somewhat annoying, is also something that is rather logical, because of course there would be different options available to a saint than to a guy that abducts children and sacrifices at evil temples. Anyway, enough rambling - this is the only RPG that I have seriously played, and while few other games in the genre hold my interest, this is definitely a good one that you can invest countless hours of your life into, if you are so inclined.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
1. Wind Waker
Best Zelda game, best game period. Ocean exploration is fun you naysaying babies, gorgeous art style, fantastic dungeon design, and a story full of heart, drama, and action.
I liked the idea of the sea exploration more than I like the way it was implemented. I know it's an ocean and supposed to be vast and mostly empty, but I think they could have done more to make it interesting - more things to fight, for one, could have relieved the tedium. I don't know how many times I just aimed my boat at the next objective and then set down the controller, only to arrive at my destination after about 10 minutes, completely unharmed. It just isn't exciting at all, I don't consider it good gameplay if I can put the controller down and just watch.

Other than calling it the best Zelda game, I won't argue with your other points. It plays great, and it looks fantastic. Probably my favourite Ganondorf battle, too - I loved going toe to toe with him in a sword fight like that. It was a great location/circumstance for the battle to take place, aswell.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
I don't know how many times I just aimed my boat at the next objective and then set down the controller, only to arrive at my destination after about 10 minutes, completely unharmed.

I once just aimed the boat, took a piss break, and came back and it was still going uninterrupted without having been hurt etc.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni

7. Halo Reach
Best Halo game for me, played and continue to play with friends, GRIFF BALL amirite? Campaign is no slouch either, and multiplayer maps and modes are fantastic.
6. Mario Kart 8
Easily the best entry in the series, you know Mario Kart, but this takes it to the umpteenth level. Play it yourself, don't be a fuck and just get a Wii-U already
5. Super Smash Bros Brawl
My favorite, from the gameplay to the character list. The new ones are sure to overtake but this series just gets better and better
4. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
Fantastic game, great story, gameplay is fun as heckles
3. Pokemon Colosseum
Controversially my favorite Pokemon game. The protagonist is the most radular ever, underground pokemon fighting, and rescuing pokemon from evil as fuck dudes combine to make me love everything about this game.
2. Red Dead Redemption
Everything is fantastic about this game
1. Wind Waker

There, how's that for you  :censored
My fucking apologies school has picked up and I choose to prioritize that first over this. I should have known to predict my future and have seen how busy school was going to get what with Lab groups we don't get to pick until the first day of class.
Just move on to the next person,

Wow.... pretty interesting to see Mario Kart 8 on your list, considering that it wasn't released until after you started your list.

Sorry if my post offended you. And while school should come first, some consideration for others would have been nice.

Offline Cable

I don't know how many times I just aimed my boat at the next objective and then set down the controller, only to arrive at my destination after about 10 minutes, completely unharmed.

I once just aimed the boat, took a piss break, and came back and it was still going uninterrupted without having been hurt etc.

I totally wanted to get the GCube version to play on the Wii. But when I read comments like these, and then heard that the WiiU rehash fixed the problem, I don't really want to get it. I really am interested in it because it always looked cool to me. Just didn't have a GCube, and prob won't get a WiiU.
---

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
I totally wanted to get the GCube version to play on the Wii. But when I read comments like these, and then heard that the WiiU rehash fixed the problem, I don't really want to get it. I really am interested in it because it always looked cool to me. Just didn't have a GCube, and prob won't get a WiiU.
Well to be fair: The long sailing sections we're referring to are mostly the early parts of the game when you haven't discovered anything, and they are alleviated a great deal after a certain point in the story where you unlock these tornado things that teleport your ship around the map (although to nitpick again, I'd have liked if there were more of these tornadoes scattered around). Also, other than a short, slightly boring treasure hunt later in the game, every other aspect of the game is fine. Great, even.

I'd still highly recommend it to anyone who's played and enjoyed any other 3D Zelda title. Hell, even if you have never played Zelda but like these sorts of action/adventure games, I'd still recommend it. The good most definitely outweighs the bad by a significant margin.

Offline Cable

I think maybe I'll pick it up then. Considering that I loved Skyward Sword, which I feel had a more polarizing response.
---

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran

just wait until my turn.  You'll probably be saying the opposite!  :lol
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni

just wait until my turn.  You'll probably be saying the opposite!  :lol

I like it already! Unless your list includes Magnavox Pong, I don't think you could go too oldschool for me to appreciate.