Author Topic: Top 25 Video Games Lists! v. CableX's "Worse Than My Top25 VG Music" (pg. 62)  (Read 231544 times)

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Re: The Top 25 Video Games Thread! v. Retro Time! (pg. 12)
« Reply #595 on: September 19, 2014, 09:17:43 AM »
I'm too young to know all these games :lol .

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #596 on: September 19, 2014, 09:24:36 PM »
#6 - Tecmo Bowl

Released 1989 for NES

Yes, four plays.  That's all you get.  It's all you need.

Upon it's release, Tecmo Bowl became one of the best and most beloved sports video games of its era.  It featured 12 teams from the mid/late 80's, each having a unique 4-play playbook and player personnel.  This was also the first console game to have rights from the NFLPA, so it had real players.  I loved using Chicago because Walter Payton was my all-time favorite player, and he is one of the best players in the game.

Bo Jackson is the fastest offensive player in the game, and one of the most powerful players overall.  Of all the legendary things he is known for, aside from the "Bo Knows" commercials, this is the thing that people remember him for.  It raised his status from legend to immortal.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #597 on: September 20, 2014, 11:44:40 AM »
Tecmo Super Bowl was a massive improvement over the original.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #598 on: September 20, 2014, 11:48:47 AM »
Tecmo Super Bowl was a massive improvement over the original.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #599 on: September 20, 2014, 12:34:01 PM »
while I agree, I never played the original version of it very much.  However, the hacked ROMs of TSB are spectacular (college teams, all-time teams, super bowl winners, etc).
Winger would be better!

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #600 on: September 21, 2014, 03:32:32 PM »
A bit late, but I love Blaster Master! James and Mike (of Cinemassacre/Angry Video Game Nerd fame) recently made a Let's Play of that game that's quite fun. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIGRkncz31I
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #601 on: September 22, 2014, 10:26:37 PM »
#5 - Discs of Tron

Released 1983 as an arcade cabinet

This is not the 1982 arcade game Tron, which featured four mini games: Light Cycles, Tanks, MCP, and I/O Tower.  However this game was meant to be a fifth section of that original, but programming was not complete in time for the release.  Similar to the original Tron it uses the same "fighter jet" joystick to move Tron, coupled with a spinning rotary knob to aim your disc throws left, right, up and down (by pulling up or pushing down on the knob).

This game is a mash-up of the Jai alai and disc battle sequences in the original Tron film.  I should also state here that I LOVE that movie.  It's one of the first movies I can ever remember seeing (E.T., released one month prior to Tron, was the first movie I can remember seeing in the theater).  The lighting, the sound effects, Bit, the Light Cycles, and that awesome opening sequence.  Simply magical for my 5 year old eyes and imagination.  Oh yeah, and that ridiculously big door.  Now THAT is a big door!

Anyway, to start the game, you are on a single platform playing against Sark, also on a single platform, throwing up to three discs at a time.  The objective is to either hit the opponent directly with a disc or force them off their platform into the abyss below.  As the game goes on, the platform configuration changes in number and in height.  In some stages there is also an electric barrier that passes between the players and they must first knock out "windows" in the barrier before they can hit their opponent.  Sark has a couple of nasty tricks up his sleeve in the form of chasers and bombs that he throws at you in addition to his discs.  I always loved the sounds effects in this game as well.  The soundtrack was sparse, so you really got the full effect of the cracking explosion of the discs if they collided in mid air, and the bouncy thud as you moved from platform to platform.

Simple? Yes.  But I had the ability to actually BE Tron and knock the crap out of that smarmy Sark with my identity disc.  That, my friends, was simply awesome.  And I paid quarter after quarter for that experience.
Winger would be better!

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #602 on: September 22, 2014, 10:57:19 PM »
That is a bizarre cabinet. It seems weird to waste money on an enclosed cabinet without making it a sit-down game in a true cockpit design. I wish I was old enough to appreciate Tron in its own time since I was an 81 baby. Seems way cool though.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #603 on: September 23, 2014, 08:08:28 AM »
it was actually released in a couple different cabinet formats.  The enclosed cabinet shown above, and a traditional open cabinet.

The enclosed "environmental" cabinet was trying to put you in the position of Tron.  Your feet were on a disc made of concentric circles just like the character in the game.  When you died in the game, the disc below you and about a thousand other lights went crazy in the cabinet.  The sound in the cabinet was pretty awesome as well.  You heard the discs flying by your head and it really amplified the game to another level.

Also, the enclosed cabinet had a sort of half-seat to rest on while you played.  Here is a better look.

Winger would be better!

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #604 on: September 23, 2014, 08:11:48 AM »
I'd also think it'd add to the allure. You kind of get to play the game in private as opposed to a bunch of people watching you play over your shoulder.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #605 on: September 23, 2014, 08:28:21 AM »
I remember Discs of Tron.  Being in the cabinet was like being isolated in the arena with Sark.  Don't remember much else other than not being good at it at age 8.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #606 on: September 23, 2014, 07:26:06 PM »

Mount a vibrating device on that and I'll set up my auto-draft.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #607 on: September 25, 2014, 10:02:39 PM »
#4 - Spy Hunter

Released 1983 as an arcade cabinet

When I was age 7 - 10 or so, my parents would go to the local mall usually once every couple of weeks to walk around, shop, look at stuff, whatever.  My primary goal during these visits was to bum as many quarters off my parents as I could and then sprint to Aladdin's Castle as fast as possible.  I knew every secret path through the department stores, the layout of the clothes racks and mannequins, and the best way to navigate the flow of foot traffic in the main mall corridors.  My mission was to play Spy Hunter.

I can remember when my parents would pick me up after these sessions I would imagine that they were actual vehicles from the game and I would bounce off them trying to "wreck" them on the side of the road as we walked to the mall exit.  I'm sure they loved me for that.

The game had an awesome interface with that combat-jet style steering wheel with all the special function buttons.  Smoke, oil, missiles, and dual machine guns were all at my finger tips.  You could even drive the car through a boathouse and come crashing out the other side speeding down a river since the car has now been converted into a fire-breathing speedboat.  The thing that always confused me about the game is that some of the cabinet artwork also showed a jet, but you never get the chance to convert to that.  I've read that the designers had planned for it, but simply ran out of available memory.

The game had a top down perspective and was a vertical scroller.  Your car was blazing fast, so this was a high-action game and you could wreck yourself very quickly without sharp reflexes.  Various enemy vehicles would gang up on you: the normal car with wheel spikes, the bullet-proof "fatty" car, the drive-by shooter in the limo, and a helicopter dropping bombs.  In each new territory, you could call for a weapons van you could drive into to replenish your special weapons.

Similar to Blaster Master, this game has a freaking awesome vehicle that inspired many fictional stories and artwork from me.

Finally, the other cool draw for this game was the electronic version of the awesome Peter Gunn theme.  A spy classic!
Winger would be better!

• DT.net Member
« Reply #608 on: September 25, 2014, 10:23:30 PM »
Very good writeup, Anne HATHaway. I've really enjoyed your literary style thus far but this one may be the best. I really wanna try this game now as you've made it sound extremely fun.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #609 on: September 25, 2014, 10:45:56 PM »
Anne HATHaway

awwwe, you guessed!!

Thanks for the kind words.  Really fun game although I assumed most would know it or would have at least seen or heard of it.
Winger would be better!

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #610 on: September 26, 2014, 08:39:33 AM »
Top notch arcade game.  I blew many quarters on this one myself.  The graphics were pretty groundbreaking at the time too.  One of (if not) the best sit-down games of the time
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #611 on: September 26, 2014, 08:09:36 PM »
Hell, yeah. I remember playing the console version of this game at a friend's house one time and having a lot of fun.

Now I just want to play it again...

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #612 on: September 28, 2014, 10:11:55 PM »
#3 - Bionic Commando

Released 1988 for NES

Originally, this was to be a sequel to the popular Commando arcade/NES game, and you can see a bit of that legacy in the top down run-and-gun sections of Bionic Commando, although those are a small fraction of the overall game action.  This is a vastly different game than Commando, and although gameplay is similar to the arcade game it was ported from, it is also very different from that incarnation as well.  In this game, you are tasked with rescuing your pal Super Joe (the main character of Commando) and also discovering the mystery and secrets of the Albatros project.

This was a very unique game at the time with the primary mode of movement being a bionic grappling arm that allowed the player to swing and pull himself forward or up.  The grappling arm was necessary because even though this was a platform game (mostly), the primary character could not jump.  Weapon upgrades are available from wide-range gun, bazookas, and machine guns.

The flow of the game is somewhat non-linear in that you choose which areas to direct your helicopter to on the main map.  You drop-in to the zone which is either hostile or neutral.  Before exploring each area, you had to choose what weapon to use, what special object to carry, and what communications device to bring.  Each one was vital to your success on that level.  One of the big gotchas of this game is that only certain communication devices worked in certain areas, so you had to keep track to be able to figure out where to go and how to proceed.  Eventually, you learn that the bad guys are trying to resurrect the dead "Master-D" which is a not so disguised version of Hitler.  After defeating Master-D and his "Albatros" machine, you have a really cool 60 second timed level to go back into the enemy base, rescue Super Joe, and escape by hooking your bionic arm onto a helicopter as you fly away while the enemy base self destructs.

This game has one of the most memorable deaths in video game history.  I give you Hitler's Master-D's exploding head:

Winger would be better!

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #613 on: September 29, 2014, 12:41:38 AM »
I love the old school-nes of your list.  :heart

I've never tried that particular game myself but I've seen plenty of it, and it does seem awesome.  :tup

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #614 on: September 29, 2014, 09:58:02 AM »
Also first mainstream game with a "swear".

My friend Bryan and I lost it when Hitler-D called us "damned fools".  Bryan and I weren't particularly close friends, but that one sticks out.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #615 on: September 29, 2014, 10:18:10 AM »
Also first mainstream game with a "swear".

My friend Bryan and I lost it when Hitler-D called us "damned fools".  Bryan and I weren't particularly close friends, but that one sticks out.

Yes!  I cannot believe that slipped through the Nintendo censors.  Complete laugh riot in our group of friends whenever we got to that point in the game.
Winger would be better!

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #616 on: September 30, 2014, 09:49:02 PM »
#2 - Wolfenstein 3D

Released 1992 for PC

The game that basically created the first-person shooter genre.

I got my first PC in 1992 and I remember my dad coming home one day soon thereafter having visited one of the many generic pc/software stores that had popped up everywhere at the time.  Among the things he brought home was a curious shareware floppy disc entitled Wolfenstein 3D.  I was hooked from the moment I fired my first shot at a Nazi guard.  The maze-like level maps, secret doors, the ability to change weapons, find ammo, health, and treasures.  I spent untold hours wandering the halls of these vast Nazi strongholds.

The game consists of three episodes, each containing 9 maps/levels (plus a secret level).  Naturally the enemies you encountered became more and more hard to kill and better armed as you went along.  At the end of each level, you were presented with sort of a report card that told you what percentage of treasure you collected, enemies you killed, and secrets doors you opened.  Gameplay is very tense, the sound design is very good for the time, and the moody soundtrack sets the perfect tone as you run down long corridors and search rooms while hunting down your captors.

Unlike Bionic Commando, this game made absolutely no attempt to hide references to nazism, swastikas, etc.  Several of the rooms and maps are based entirely on swastikas.  Hitler is boldly included as the primary bad guy (naturally).  The theme song is the Nazi Party's anthem.  Although Nazis and Hitler are portrayed as the enemy, this led to the banning of the game in Germany that continues to this day.  My understanding is that even the free web browser version is unplayable if accessed while in Germany.

If you are interested in more about the creation of this game as well as the guys that went on to create Doom and Quake, there is a great book called Masters of Doom that details the history of id Software.  These guys were at the leading edge of creating masterful games, rendering graphics, and pioneering game engines.
Winger would be better!

Offline masterthes

« Reply #617 on: September 30, 2014, 10:26:19 PM »
Is that Hitler in a robot suit?  :lol

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #618 on: September 30, 2014, 10:33:00 PM »
yes, yes it is.
Winger would be better!

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #619 on: September 30, 2014, 11:54:07 PM »
I was more of a Doom guy myself in '92-'93, but I'll give a tip of the hat to the overall 3D quest/map games. This was the invention of the FPS genre.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #620 on: October 01, 2014, 01:16:35 AM »
yes, yes it is.
And what a glorious sight it is.

In hindsight, it kinda reminds me of the movie Nazis at the Center of the Earth. Also featuring a robot Hitler. :metal

Offline Randaran

• The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth
« Reply #621 on: October 01, 2014, 01:57:19 PM »
Eh, I prefer Super 3D Noah's Ark.  :biggrin:
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol
My anime can beat up your anime.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #622 on: October 01, 2014, 02:05:42 PM »
Love Wolfenstein. Like jingle.boy, I'm more of a Doom guy though. Doom 2 was the first video game I ever "played", in quotes because I have memories of my grandpa controlling movement and letting me press the shoot button when necessary. The nostalgia. :heart And that game still holds up well today IMO.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #623 on: October 01, 2014, 05:20:55 PM »
So, I'm guessing E.T. at number one, right?  :biggrin:

Offline Randaran

« Reply #624 on: October 01, 2014, 05:44:57 PM »

What else could it possibly be? It is truly a masterpiece that stands far above all other games. 10/10, no doubt about it.
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #625 on: October 01, 2014, 09:29:52 PM »

I had/have that game.  One of the most frustrating games I can ever remember playing.  Terrible controls and visuals.  An absolute mess of a game.
Winger would be better!

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #626 on: October 01, 2014, 10:07:59 PM »
Superman 64 probably.

Hell yeah on Wolfenstein. That was the very first PC game I ever played. I used to go to a friend's house and we'd play the game together, he would control movement and I'd shoot the gun. We played through at least five or six Wolfenstein episodes like that. Then we moved on to Doom when that came out. I'm more of a Doom guy, but there's no denying how cool Wolfenstein was back in the day. An absolute classic that helped to create an entire genre.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #627 on: October 02, 2014, 06:59:08 AM »

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #628 on: October 02, 2014, 07:06:12 AM »
Big Rigs or GTFO.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Randaran

« Reply #629 on: October 02, 2014, 07:01:18 PM »