Author Topic: Top 25 Video Games Lists! v. CableX's "Worse Than My Top25 VG Music" (pg. 62)  (Read 231625 times)

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
I never played this one until getting Sonic Mega Collection on GC a few years ago. If this game had the spin dash attack it'd be perfect. Aside from that, the level design, graphics, and music are excellent and I had a true blast playing it but it did just feel a tad lacking compared to the fun I had with 2, 3, and S&K because of the spin dash's absence. Still a 9/10 game any day of the week though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbVZPu_JM6I
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
I never played this one until getting Sonic Mega Collection on GC a few years ago. If this game had the spin dash attack it'd be perfect. Aside from that, the level design, graphics, and music are excellent and I had a true blast playing it but it did just feel a tad lacking compared to the fun I had with 2, 3, and S&K because of the spin dash's absence. Still a 9/10 game any day of the week though.

Some versions of S1 have the spindash included. If you're into emulation, you could probably easily get it.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

• DT.net Member
Thanks for the heads up dude! I think once I eventually beat it regular style, this is something I'll look into.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Outcrier

I never played SH2, but it's one of my favorite VG OSTs ever.

Love the old Sonic games.

:tup
I love the classic Genesis/Mega Drive Sonic games. The speed is earned, not given, and speed can reward you with shorter, alternate paths. Now they mistakenly think Sonic games are all about instantly going 1000mph all the time.

Quoted for truth.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 10:20:03 PM by Outcrier »
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

Fucking Labyrinth Zone.

Offline Cable

23) Snake’s Revenge (Metal Gear- kind of)

Sure, Hideo Kojima had no part in this game. But that is a *good* thing. Kojima is great, while at the same time creating historically placed events that never could have occurred. MG2:SS was the beginning of the far fetched crap, where SR was mostly believable. Was the real Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake all in all a better game? Yes. Especially when we talk about the added features that made stealth much more enjoyable. However, the MSX2 was a far superior spec’ed machine to what the US market had. When this was out, all I had was a NES. To me, this game was better than the original MG port on NES.

I actually enjoyed the side scrolling, and the story had a good twist. The music was also stellar. I played this game a lot back when, and also gave me a little scare here and there.

***Tropical, Open world? FPS***
---

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
I'm a huge fan of the Sonic series but never played/know very little of the Silent Hill series.

Next up, Far Cry 1/2/3?

Just Cause 1/2/3?

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
I played through the first Silent Hill and quite enjoyed it.  With that, I went out and bought a used copy of SH2 and never got around to playing it.  I REALLY want to though.  There are games I'm stuck not finishing on the Playstation, so maybe one day I can revisit it and beat those and finally play SH2.

Offline Cable

I'm a huge fan of the Sonic series but never played/know very little of the Silent Hill series.

Next up, Far Cry 1/2/3?

Just Cause 1/2/3?

Correct!

22) Far Cry

I beat this game between the start of this thread and now. I had the game since 2003, but did not beat it. It was good enough to chart.

One of four FPS’s on my list, and to me the most unique gameplay wise.

Far Cry is somewhat like an FPS game I was hoping to be created, since playing them mostly since their inception. So many were run and gun, and it got way stale after awhile. Halo was already out at this point, but I didn't play it. So the smart AI of flanking you, and retreating was new to me. The main standout of the this game was the ability to approach outdoor missions in a variety of ways. My favorite was sniping enemies from as far away as possible. The tropical setting made this truly a enjoyable thing, as scoping around for enemies in the great looking environments in 2003. I remember there was a valid debate if this game looked better than Doom3, with full tilt hardware.

The story was not the best ever, but for the genre pretty good. A twist, bad voice acting, but it worked. The trigens could be creepy when they appeared, and hard to bring down at times. Those rocket ones are hard at first, but even the small ones are a pain. The ending part with the bunch of rocket guys, and snipers was a huge challenge. I needed to use a hint to hide around a door to do it.

***”what a horrible night to have a curse”***
---

Offline Cable

21) Castlevania II: Simon’s Quest

This game rocks, AVGN be damned. He has kind of even said a chunk of his opinion was hyperbole. Sure, the game was cryptic, and had slow transitions from day to night. Apparently the cryptic nature was a part of the game, so we did what we did back then; asked friends, called the hint line, or in my case, we used Nintendo Power. But I do not even recall being bothered by any of this as a kid.

Despite the shared nature of the game, me and brother could never figure out why we used to get one of the colored endings, then the black and white one. It was only when I played it as an adult that I read that it was based on time. These are things that make me appreciate the game more. The game stretched maybe a bit too far with certain things. I also find it funny that the whole “Metroidvania” subgenera started at Symphony of the Night, yet this one had RPG elements.

Some great innovations here- day to night, flame whip, RPG elements, and the tunes. Really not a bad one on here, with the now iconic Bloody Tears. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjazC45Qkww The bosses were nothing, but if you didn’t know to attack Dracula when he was appearing, he would destroy you.

***The Wii at its finest, with the guy in green***
---

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
Loved. This. Game.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
I love FarCry 1. I remember that I couldn't wait to try the game with my brand new video card. It was gorgeous at it's time and it was fairly tough in some areas as well.

Never played any of the Castlevania.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
Haven't played the last 3. I always hear about the Castlevania games, but have never played one for some reason.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
I always hear about the Castlevania games, but have never played one for some reason.

Offline Cable

20) The Legend Of Zelda: Skyward Sword

The controversial highest placement of a Zelda game for me on my list. I thoroughly enjoyed this game. To me, it was the best realization of the Wii for one of the big three franchises. Prime 3 was cool (didn’t play the trilogy pack), but it didn’t have the motion control like SS did.

I never have held Zelda as this great “open world” franchise, or neither a great story overall. Frankly, I grow tired of the trend of open world. It seems like any game that has a piece of that, people go nuts over it. And if it doesn’t, the game stinks. I had no problem with the hub feature. I do understand home many would though.

The story was pretty cool too. I still think Nintendo’s timeline is bogus. When I read the Gamespot review of Twilight Princess, I think it said that game was another reimagining of Zelda. To me, that is what most Zelda games are, a retelling basically of the story.

I had great fun with the boss fights, getting out of my seat so I could be more precise. The second play thru was also enjoyable. What probably makes this game important for me is it was a coupling of a new way to play a game, with a known franchise. Unfortunately it looks at this time it will be all for naught though.

***"S.T.A.R.S."***
---

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Prime 3 was cool (didn’t play the trilogy pack)...

If you enjoyed Prime 3, I highly recommend getting the trilogy. I don't know how much it is going for these days, but I think it is highly worth it.

And I agree with you about the Zelda timeline. I don't give a crap where a Zelda game fits in the timeline when I am playing it. I just want a fun gaming experience. Sadly, I found SS disappointingly lacking in enjoyment.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
I've never played it. I've never been a big Zelda guy for some reason. I did however love OoT.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
Haven't played this one yet, because we only got a Wii recently. I love the Zelda series though, so this still gets a :tup .

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
I only got around to playing this and TP just last year, because I only got around to buying a Wii last year. :lol I enjoyed SS quite a bit but was very disappointed with TP.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
I only got around to playing this and TP just last year, because I only got around to buying a Wii last year. :lol I enjoyed SS quite a bit but was very disappointed with TP.

Was it the Wii version of TTP? The port seemed like a bit of an afterthought to me, but I've only played the GC version, and it's easily my second favourite behind OoT.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member

Was it the Wii version of TTP? The port seemed like a bit of an afterthought to me, but I've only played the GC version, and it's easily my second favourite behind OoT.
Yeah it was the Wii port, but that wasn't why I wasn't impressed with it. I'd have been just as disappointed with the original Gamecube game.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
Fair enough. TTP doesn't seem to get much love for some reason, so that doesn't surprise me, but I thought it was great. I don't know what the general consensus on SS is by comparison, but I'm sure I'd like it too.

• DT.net Member
Twilight Princess actually has one of the highest aggregate scores of any Zelda game iirc.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
Does it? From my casual discussions on forums, I always gathered the response was very mixed at best, so I'd be glad if that's not the case. How does SS compare?

Offline Cable

I enjoyed TP, and played the Wii version. I cannot remember everything honestly though. To me, it was a spruced up OoT. Then again, SS could somewhat be considered like that also.

I feel the best Ganon(dorf) fight so far was in TP. But I honestly cannot say TP is better than OoT or LTTP.
---

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
I feel the best Ganon(dorf) fight so far was in TP.
That was one of the things I was most disappointed with. :P

Offline Cable

19) Resident Evil 3: Nemesis [1999]

Not the best in the series, and is basically RE2.5 due to the same setting. I could have easily put 2 on the list, but I got so much more replay out of 3. The game also to me was the scariest in the series (I stopped at 4). I only officially own(ed) 3 and 4.

Nemesis was unpredictable when you did not drop him twice in each encounter if I remember. For example with the picture below of the text. If you go into the station instead of fight, Nemesis most likely will enter the station off camera, and then just somewhat randomly appear at some point. All of sudden you would get the door animation, and snap, there he is in your face with creepy music. The guy seriously was tough because he just kept coming, and he was quick. And of course, the jump scares were still all there. Nemesis therefore makes a lot of the game for me. The quick turn-around move was useful too in some instances with him.

I got a lot out of the Mecenaries game once you beat the game. If you do well enough, you can grab infinite ammo items and rip thru the regular game. I think I had to do this at least 8 times. And each time was just as enjoyable, because I could lay waste to Nemesis easily. He deserved it after all the anguish he caused me!

***Octacon***
---

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Never played the 3rd, but loved the first two.

Offline Cable

18) Metal Gear Solid {1998}
music - https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=45829.msg2095747#msg2095747

If no one noticed, I obviously like a bit of nostalgia. Plenty more where that came from! Anyway, due to me playing the Metal Gears released on NES, I was well aware of the franchise. I did not however know about the real Metal Gear 2. Regardless, it was a long wait until this one. I will never forget it either. I had gone to Funco Land to pick up Castlevania:Symphony of the Night. On the backside of the liner notes/book for the game was an add for MGS. I about lost my crap. I knew exactly what it meant, I had no reservations about buying this game day one.

So I followed this game to a tee. I bought the magazine that came with the demo disc, and played the heck out of that. The full game itself didn’t really let me down. My only real gripe for this game is what I sort of already mentioned for Snake’s Revenge. The game had a distinct time period, and there was supernatural stuff involved. I have nothing wrong with that, but my issue is your character is not supernatural. So that makes things worse for me. Either go no real supernatural, or go all the way. Then again, I guess having unlimited lives is supernatural at the core, so yeah.

Any way, this game brought the franchise to the 3D realm in glorious fashion. I think it has aged pretty well, which a lot of the games of this era haven’t. While the radar was a bit cheap, it worked with the camera angles that may have been limited on purpose. I got a good amount of replay value from this one, wanting to replay it for the stealth camouflage and the bandana. The VR missions (including the extra disc) further extended the enjoyment for me.

The story was quite engaging too, and while it had a lot of dialogue, it was not weighed down by excessive amounts as later games in the franchise would be. It also had superb voice acting in my opinion. In this time frame, voice acting was still new. As a result, some games were quite bad and/or cheesy with voice acting (Castlevania SOTN!) MGS had no issue here, and there was not a bad voice actor if I recall.

***A Voodoo2 GPU to run the 2nd of this FPS***
« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 05:07:20 PM by CableX »
---

Offline Cable

17) Quake II {1997}

QuakeI may have been the more pivotal Quake, moving the franchise to true 3d, and set up internet play. And Q3 was a multiplayer powerhouse, that to this day is still used. Q2 was special to me. It was when my brother bought a new computer, and then I bought an upgraded 3d GPU for it (Voodoo2). It was still a rather new technology back then. The game basically was a big title in the early 3D graphics card era. As such, it also brought to us the Railgun, so well inspired from the Arnold movie Eraser.

So the is the first game without John Romero, as he was fired and busy squandering millions of dollars at this point. As much as John Carmack is the better of the two, this game probably signified the big switch in id. From this point on, the games were more about looking great, then actually being great games all in all. However, I feel this one was not really subject to that. This also was probably at the height of id’s influence mostly. Games still licensed this engine, and Unreal was still being developed. Half-Life as well, which used a modified QuakeI engine. Halo, COD and so on were still in the early thought stages too. As a result, this was as advanced as an FPS was at the time.

The story, like other id Software stuff wasn’t remarkable. But I had fun in the single player. The game had a rocking metal/industrial soundtrack by Sonic Mayhem (I think they are called). And the game was just smooth to me, and I got so much time sunk into the multiplayer of that online. This is the last FPS that I really played a lot over a span of time, and also the one I spent the most time playing multiplayer in. Despite having a dial-up modem, I still had fun back then with it.

***A random Wii game, a 1st party rehash of a party Mario has***
---

Offline Cable

One more today, two tomorrow so I can be on the pace I want.

16) Wii Party {2010}

Basically this is Mario Party, but stripped down in a way. It is nothing special, but fun with a group of people. It is even more fun because it is a very casual game, that can be random. This is what made the Wii very appealing, and what I value so highly about it. I doubt what Nintendo does a lot of the time, and also have sworn off modern games mostly. Therefore, I am biased. But the Wii to me represented a welcome shift in gaming, gimmicky or not. My posts about VR reinforce this, as I am now about new gaming experiences, not having people I shoot look like a real person.

So the Wii, and Wii Party to a degree, offered me new ways to play games, and have fun. Some Wii games were like board games to me, in that it is about the fun with others in a sometimes random, sometimes skill setting.

I have a lot of time spent with this one among family and non-game people so to speak, because it was fun for everyone. The game also did not require button destroying like I heard is prevalent in Mario Party titles. The Wii MP titles were not really button mashers however.

Regardless, the first party Nintendo polish really shines through on this game. The big hallmark to me for this game over Mario Party is the speed of the game. It was quickly to rip through menus and games, where as Mario Party 9 could take a long time.

***The Blue bomber’s appearance, sliding in with his finest IMO***
---

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm a huge fan of MGS, I played the hell out of the game and just ordered the disk again so I can replay it this summer.

I never had a chance to play Q2, I was a big fan of Q3.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
Played a lot of Q2 back then. Great gameplay, great graphics but meh story. Played mostly single player because I sucked in multilayer.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Cable

15) Mega Man 3 {1990}

-Music post- https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=45829.msg2097166#msg2097166

This game does nothing really the best in the franchise, at least for the first NES 6 MM games. It doesn’t have the best music (MM2), the most features (MM5 or MM6). It isn’t the hardest (MM1). The story isn’t told very well (MM4-MM6 do it better). But MM3 easily is number two in a lot of those categories. Second hardest one IMO, second best music IMO. And it has many top cuts of music- intro, all of Wily stages music, ending. Stellar boss themes.

It also did the cool thing of rehashing all of the robots from MM2. And those guys were much harder in this game than MM2. I recently played through the game, and I lost a fair amount of lives on several robots and stages.

MM3 also brought to us Rush, which was basically just a central mod of two of the 3 number items from MM2. Most importantly, it brought us the slide. The unique thing about the slide is it replaces a duck feature that would be nice, but still makes it a challenge to use it due to the forward movement. So care is needed when performing it.

The enemy robots had some unique items. Shadow star was a weakened MetalMan blade, but we had the Top Spin. Also Gemini laser, and the Search snakes all were not just a projectile.

Thinking more about it, the balance of weapons in this game was great, and the last of the three with useful items. MM4 started the controversial MegaBuster. The thing with MM3 is that the weapons are not overpowered, and make fighting the bosses not a drop in the hat. MM2 you could rip through the game with MetalMan blades. Something like Hardman Knuckles was a weaker CrashMan bomb. The game just had this great balance overall IMO.

***Comstock***
---

Offline Cable

14) Bioshock Infinite {2013}

Alright, here is my second to last modern AAA game, and could be one of my last ever at this rate. It also is my last modern AAA game that was on multiple platforms. So fair warning here!

I will probably repeat what has already been said. But I will try to not do too much of that, including repeating myself too much.

My only disappointment with this game was the gameplay mechanics. I know Bioshock/System Shock were not known for fantastic improvements in AI and gameplay. More so it seems it was about the RPG elements, and game narrative. But still, it’s 2013 for this game- I still feel like I’m playing Doom for a lot of these games. However, the battles I had were epic. The open feel of the spaces allowed me to take different approaches. So I would spend 30-60 minutes I think on some of them. This was a nice contrast to Bioshock, with the natural closed nature of Rapture. Those Handymen battles were a giant pain, and were the somewhat equivalent of Big Daddies. Although Big Daddies were more numerous, and a more creepy concept overall. The Handyman battles were more chaotic for me, and more scary.

An Eff you to the Songbird battle. At first I enjoyed it, but reading opinions about it, the battle ratcheted up the difficulty WAAYYYY too much. But the hardest battle should be the finale battles.

[Spoilers]

The story is amazing. I still do not fully understand everything about it, but that doesn’t detract from it. It is more amazing the more I think about it, or just stuff happens in my life. I generally don’t put stock into the infinite universes. But something that really hit close to home was the this Booker took this path, this one also did, but those other ones didn’t. Like life decisions we make, there is always at least one alternate path. And what does that create?

[/Spoilers]

Almost as good as the story was the environment. I know Bioshock1 gets all the praise for Rapture, as it has in this thread. And rightfully so. But I legit felt like it was the early 1900’s here. Everything was done so well. And of course there is the racial inequality at the forefront basically. But the immersive details in the game were amazing.

[Spoilers]

Comstock does not trump Andrew Ryan as a villain, or his overall character. His motivations were weak to me, where as Ryan was done so well and made sense. That said, Bioshock1 as I said here lost WAY too much steam IMO after Ryan. The game’s highpoint was there, and that was 66% into the game at best. Infinite’s twist went ALL THE WAY to the end. But the game kept going, and truly did end brilliantly. The peak was no doubt at the end. I loved how you were able to walk around still as the story was unfolding.

[/Spoilers]

***QB Eagles, QB Bills, QB Browns, Bo Jackson***
---