Author Topic: James Labrie is playing 'Me' in The Theater Equation  (Read 9731 times)

Offline Tim van Duijn

James Labrie is playing 'Me' in The Theater Equation
« on: May 22, 2014, 06:51:04 AM »
As many of you know, James Labrie participated in Ayreon's the Human Equation. He played the role of 'Me' in this rock opera.

This album will be played 3 times in its entirety september next year in a theater in the Netherlands and will feature many musicians who played on the album.

Minutes ago, it was announced that James Labrie will perform as 'Me' (his original role) in The Theater Equation , as it is called. As a dutch guy i am very excited and i managed to get a chance to buy tickets early so i won't have to miss any of this.

More info here: www.thetheaterequation.com

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
Re: James Labrie is playing 'Me' in The Theater Equation
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2014, 08:22:58 AM »
Who?

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2014, 08:25:12 AM »
Wow!!!! This is indeed great and unexpected news!
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Online The Letter M

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2014, 08:25:49 AM »
Holy crap! He was the one vocalist I didn't think they would get for the performance!!! Now there's definitely a chance this thing will get recorded and released professionally. I cannot wait!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2014, 08:31:06 AM »
Am I the only one who thought James' performance on THE was kinda.... Average? I'm not a fan of that album anyway, but the few songs I did like didn't have James on them. He sounds way better on the other 2 albums released that year.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2014, 08:37:30 AM »
Am I the only one who thought James' performance on THE was kinda.... Average? I'm not a fan of that album anyway, but the few songs I did like didn't have James on them. He sounds way better on the other 2 albums released that year.

I think it was spot on. Not overbloated, just the right amount of high notes and a lot of his calm and warm singing. And the mix is awesome as well.

Then again, THE is probably in my top 10 albums of all time, so I tend to grade every performance on it as "perfect".

This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2014, 09:58:44 AM »
Thats pretty awesome.  I was underwhelmed by the album but I would totally travel to see this if I got the chance (and it were in the states). 

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2014, 10:17:01 AM »

I think it was spot on. Not overbloated, just the right amount of high notes and a lot of his calm and warm singing. And the mix is awesome as well.

Then again, THE is probably in my top 10 albums of all time, so I tend to grade every performance on it as "perfect".
I agree with you. He was good on that album, especially when he was singing in his middle range.

Great news, is there anything on filming performances? It's been a while since I listened to The Human Equation, I have to remind myself of that glorious album (it's among my favorites) :D
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline lithium112

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2014, 10:32:23 AM »
Yeah James was pretty awesome on THE. That's also by far my favourite Ayreon album. I will sadly not be in the Netherlands but would love for this to be recorded!

Offline EdenHazard

• INVENTORY!
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2014, 10:34:41 AM »
I think he really nailed that one. Not over the top, just did what fitted the respective songs and delivered every line perfectly. In my opinion it is part of his strongest output.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2014, 10:47:32 AM »

+1

Wow. I hope they capture this on film for a future DVD release. Is Mikael going to participate?

Offline Tim van Duijn

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2014, 11:05:16 AM »

+1

Wow. I hope they capture this on film for a future DVD release. Is Mikael going to participate?

Well, if they can manage to get James Labrie (imo the biggest name of them all) they can also get Akerfeldt for his role. But i guess it's a matter of schedules. If Devin Townsend could do his job then the whole thing is complete:)

About the DVD release, they are working on that to make that happen.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2014, 12:08:54 PM »
...Whoa!!

I was not expecting that!

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2014, 12:14:41 PM »
I think he really nailed that one. Not over the top, just did what fitted the respective songs and delivered every line perfectly. In my opinion it is part of his strongest output.

He didn't sound that good to me. Maybe it was the way he was mixed. I don't know.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2014, 12:35:21 PM »
He sounds bloody glorious - thoroughly rich and warm.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2014, 12:38:56 PM »

This. He sounds better in THE than in a good number of DT albums actually.

This is pretty great news and really looking forward to it. A DVD release would be awesome. :metal

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2014, 01:07:51 PM »

This is pretty great news and really looking forward to it. A DVD release would be awesome. :metal
It's funny because I can say the same thing for Bruce Dickinson. Have no idea what kind of magic Arjen do but he sure knows how to push his guests to the maximum. Both BD and JLB have never  sounded better imo.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2014, 01:12:08 PM »

It's funny because I can say the same thing for Bruce Dickinson. Have no idea what kind of magic Arjen do but he sure knows how to push his guests to the maximum. Both BD and JLB have never  sounded better imo.

The Chemical Wedding is pretty close to being a perfect metal record. Bruce sounds amazing and better in that album than in many IM albums. Not all, but many. Same goes for JLB imo.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2014, 01:16:07 PM »

The Chemical Wedding is pretty close to being a perfect metal record. Bruce sounds amazing and better in that album than in many IM albums. Not all, but many. Same goes for JLB imo.
Totally agree, love TCW!
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2014, 01:56:19 PM »
Wow! This is super good news! I wish I could see this live. It's gonna be awesome, "The Human Equation" is one of my favorite albums of all time (one of my Top 5).

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2014, 02:21:33 PM »
This sounds amazing, hopefully there will be a live release.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2014, 03:57:14 PM »
Well, I forgot about the pre-registration and missed it, damnit!  :sadpanda: I am a Dutch guy, so I really, really hope to get still get a chance to buy tickets. Now with Labrie in I think the chances are smaller (was not worried about it before). Lets hope for a proper live release, too.

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2014, 05:26:13 PM »
Well I've always heard about the guest role on the Ayreon album from a few people, so I guess I better get around to actually listening to it...
« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 05:40:11 PM by Rodni Demental »

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2014, 05:03:32 AM »
Wish I could go.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2014, 05:26:20 AM »
Interesting news.  Definitely my favorite of the Ayreon projects by a long shot.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2014, 05:39:43 AM »
When I found out I was like  :hefdaddy
THE is one of the best things in the history of things, so I'm pretty excited about this.
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2014, 07:56:21 AM »
Not an Ayreon fan, but it's cool that they got James to do this! :tup

Offline billybobjoe1881

« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2014, 08:45:20 PM »
Thanks to this thread I now have another new band to check out.

Offline Milzinga

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2014, 12:23:55 AM »
I may have to travel for this. Wow that would be incredible to see live. I've been a fan of Aryeon nearly as long as DT.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2014, 06:47:58 AM »
Man there are so many people here that I never see in the general section or GMD of the forum. Come over guys, enjoy the diversity of DTF!  :tup

Anyway I shouldn't say to much though because I probably spend 90% of my weekly time on the non-DT sections of the forum. Still a DT fan if you wonder!  :metal

Offline robwebster

« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2014, 07:48:43 AM »
Man there are so many people here that I never see in the general section or GMD of the forum. Come over guys, enjoy the diversity of DTF!  :tup
Equally, there are a lot of people in GMD and the General section that I never see in the DT section!

We should set up an exchange programme.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2014, 07:57:11 AM »
I approve your solution.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2014, 12:12:54 PM »
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2014, 12:29:18 PM »
I'm a huge Ayreon fan, but was never able to connect too strongly with "The Human Equation"

That said, I'd probably buy a DVD of this if they film it.  Ayreon is one of the few remaining bands that I collect everything he puts out.

Online Skeever

« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2014, 07:06:23 PM »
I don't think the vocals for ME are any better than the vocals in DT, but the melodies themselves are much better than the typical DT vocal melody. For me, DT vocals have always been the most unimportant part, and obviously not the main strength of the band, but to be honest it's pretty amazing that people can come up with something to sing over those crazy parts at all.