Author Topic: Could DT carry on with just JP?  (Read 6744 times)

Offline JLa

Re: Could DT carry on with just JP?
« Reply #70 on: June 01, 2014, 10:10:16 AM »

Offline Aythesryche

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #71 on: June 03, 2014, 10:48:28 AM »
 I think the real question is if JP can continue on without DT. Based on everything I know about the guy and his passion for music, I'm going to say yes.

I'm also going to give my opinion on some things I've read in another thread about the band breaking up in a few more albums: I think most of this speculation of when the band would dissolve is based on what the opinion holder would do. No one knows exactly how all the band members of DT feel about this in the abstracts, regardless of what they say to interviewers.  All I can personally do is base an opinion on some good ole' deductive logic. Their history, what I know of those guys, what they've said and their passion for music tells me a lot of their potential next moves.

Can you honestly see JP giving up on music because he's tired? Think he's going to just hang out at the park and feed the birds for retirement? Perhaps he will want to sit in some rocking chairs on a porch with his wife and talk about the good old days while sipping on some tea for the next 25 years after retirement. Or any of the other guys. I don't think so. At least, not for long. If the band does decide to call it quits, I can almost guarantee you that either they will eventually get back together or they will just simply move on to other places in the music world. People that spend the majority of their lives passionately writing and performing music successfully usually just don't give it up entirely. This isn't some normal miserable 9-5 job that most people can't wait to quit and retire from. I think these guys will be involved in writing/recording and performing music until the day they die.

Now the next real question... What comes after DT? Personally, I am genuinely interested in seeing what the next chapter holds for these guys after DT, if they do in fact decide to throw in the DT towel temporarily or permanently. Regardless of what ends up happening to DT, I think these guys will always be doing stuff together in one way or another. They are all the best of friends and that won't get turned off just because they discontinue as DT.

I think one thing is certain, after DT is long gone, their legacy is going to include an almost unprecedented amount of eclectic music.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #72 on: June 03, 2014, 01:56:12 PM »
What comes after DT?

I can see James carrying on working with Matt on solo albums (Including touring!) and getting into theater.

I can see JP getting some form of Solo band together and performing.

I can see JR focusing on his tech stuff... as well as putting out his solo stuff. I can also see JR, JP and MP getting together and performing LTE / instrumental stuff together (kinda like MP / DS are doing)

I can see Mangini going back to session work / teaching

The tough one is JMX. What would he be doing after DT? Teaching? Session work? Touring with JP as part of his solo band?
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #73 on: June 03, 2014, 03:06:50 PM »
I have barely listened to DT at all in the past year or more, and I'm not a huge fan of the Roadrunner era in total, so it's not like I'm being super emotional about all of this, but seeing them still playing something but not together would be saddening and beyond weird for me. Like, seeing someone else play with JP instead of MM, or seeing JR do unrelated stuff, or seeing JLB playing a DT ballad in a setlist without anyone there. I dunno, man.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Aythesryche

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #74 on: June 03, 2014, 05:15:40 PM »
I have barely listened to DT at all in the past year or more, and I'm not a huge fan of the Roadrunner era in total, so it's not like I'm being super emotional about all of this, but seeing them still playing something but not together would be saddening and beyond weird for me. Like, seeing someone else play with JP instead of MM, or seeing JR do unrelated stuff, or seeing JLB playing a DT ballad in a setlist without anyone there. I dunno, man.

I can understand where you're coming from. It especially makes sense and would be heart breaking if we were to see them break apart now or anytime soon. Perhaps it will be easier to swallow and more understandable/acceptable for the fans later on in their careers when things start to wind down little by little over time.

@JayOctavarium I think Myung would be content to tag along with whatever the other guys toss his way. He just strikes me as the kinda guy that is completely in it for the music. As long as he's able to keep those bass lines rolling, I don't think he'll ever give up.

Offline haceeb

• When you surrender to the light, You can face the darkest days
  • I am bent, not broken
« Reply #75 on: June 04, 2014, 03:26:41 PM »
JP is God so therefore he will manage.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: June 05, 2014, 07:23:45 AM »
I am always baffled when people pull out the "they'll retire sooner than later" thing. Guys, JP is 46. Yeah, sure, Jordan is 57, which means he's got like 10-15 years more until he gets to what is usually considered a serious age for a musician that plays a more sedentary instrument. Even then, don't you think he'll get into working on a huge load of instruments that will make playing physically easier until then? Come on, he's the Wizard.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

Offline RedKlouD72

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #77 on: June 30, 2014, 07:45:15 PM »
this is always such a grimm, yet fascinating topic to speak on.

JP won't quit.   He is commander and chief of that band, and I judge him to be someone to respect a system of checks and balances within the band's operations in order to keep the ship afloat.
But if all of a sudden, James John Mike and Jordan were no longer on board, I couldn't see him scrambling to assemble a new Dream Theater. I think he'd feel like there's a serious loss of dignity to be suffered in doing that.  However, if the members left one by one over the years on good terms... and the band was with him to agree to push through and bring on a new member each time, I could see John carrying the band into the 2030's with a lineup consisting of 4 new bandmates.  I'd say "JP won't let it go on without Myung," but if Myung quit early enough, I think JP may want to get a few more tours in to support himself and family. Or not?--I mean, what do I know.   You just Can't forget the fact that Dream Theater is a source of income for the guys though.

I think we could see a farewell Jordan tour one day. I mean, he could just up and leave on a shorter notice, but I don't know if he would.  He's the oldest by a bit, and might have to just retire from touring one day and insist the band go on without him. 'Come See the last Tour with Rudess!' - that would probably be a decent marketing scheme.

They're only human.  They have monetary needs like the rest of us.  And I judge the current members of DT to all be less dramatic than Mike Portnoy. I mean, systematically put the band on hold for 5 years (or even 2 years), that's a pretty drastic and dramatic suggestion. Kinda like just trying to make the story of Dream Theater some sort of movie script.  I guess I still can't get over how bad of an idea I thought that was.
Ludicrously speedy or infectious with the slow-mo

Offline Enalya

« Reply #78 on: July 18, 2014, 03:27:38 AM »
No. Because JLB.

And talking about retirement and 'when will they quit' makes me so sad to have discovered them so late :'(
Hope to enjoy their concerts for many years more. Although I do think they should stop at the point where they are pooping out tunes (creativity is gone) or uncontrollably shaking due to Parkinson's.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #79 on: July 18, 2014, 04:36:22 AM »
They could and might go on with just JP, but I wouldn't be interested at all.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #80 on: July 18, 2014, 06:25:09 AM »
Yes JP could carry on by himself.

He could just program all the drum parts like he did for ADTOE.

:neverusethis:

Offline tiagodon

« Reply #81 on: July 21, 2014, 04:43:12 PM »
Tosin Abasi composed and recorded a whole album all by himself, with pre-programmed drums.
Yes, JP could just do the same and put out a DT instrumental album!

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #82 on: July 21, 2014, 04:44:17 PM »
Yes JP could carry on by himself.

He could just program all the drum parts like he did for ADTOE.
I love you, Kotowmang