Author Topic: Could DT carry on with just JP?  (Read 6746 times)

Offline puppyonacid

• DT.net Veteran
Could DT carry on with just JP?
« on: May 21, 2014, 08:29:29 AM »
I know. Bit of a lame question.

I just thought of it. After discussions about MP and his role it seems the general consensus is that DT would really be no more if JP wasn't at the helm.

So....what if through some totally unlikely series of events there was a major overhaul in the next couple of years that saw JP as the only current member still in DT. Could DT survive? I personally think not. I think that JLB, JM and JR are almost irreplaceable as they are sort of the fabric of what DT is. I dunno. Be interested to see what people think.
This post was brought to you by Puppyonacid and subsequently ignored.

DTF's resident thread killer

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: Could DT carry on with just JP?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 08:31:44 AM »
With just any one member of the band, it's not DT, even if it were JP. I'd say that generalization extends to pretty much any band.

Except Whitesnake.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2014, 08:39:50 AM »
If JM left, then JP would be the only original member, and in that sense, I think think they could still go on and be successful. But if the current line-up split up and left JP as the lone member, I doubt he would try to go on. Even if he did, they wouldn't last very long IMO. I think they could replace anyone but JP and JLB and continue the success they're having. A new voice so late in the game pretty much cements the band as one only for die-hards. Just my $.02.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2014, 08:57:17 AM »
I'd say no. He's the main songwriter, but he also has his signature sound. Any replacement would either have to copy his style and receive endless negative criticism or have his own style to which it wouldn't sound like DT anymore. It works for Iced Earth because that's all Jon Schaffer, but I'd imagine if the other guys in DT wanted to continue without JP, it just wouldn't work.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2014, 08:59:37 AM »
JP and JLB are equally indispensable, the latter being the only truly unique and inimitable color on DT's palette. With these two remaining in the band, they could get away with calling it DT regardless of who they play with. It wouldn't be DT with just one of them though.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2014, 09:29:04 AM »
JP and JLB are equally indispensable, the latter being the only truly unique and inimitable color on DT's palette. With these two remaining in the band, they could get away with calling it DT regardless of who they play with. It wouldn't be DT with just one of them though.

My thoughts exactly.  There could be a different bass player and even keys player, as long as JLB and JP were still in the group I would and could still think of them as DT.  If JLB left JP by himself, then it would probably be time to start a new band,  :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2014, 10:01:02 AM »
Could DT carry on with just JP?

No.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2014, 10:04:23 AM »
Yes. But with the stipulation that no new members are added, the band will consist solely of JP.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2014, 10:20:03 AM »
Whoops, I read the title wrong.

With JUST JP? Maybe, but most likely not.

Offline emtee

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2014, 10:45:40 AM »
A band can carry on with 1 member, or even no original members if they still have the legal rights to the name. The question is
will anyone still buy the music.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2014, 12:47:34 PM »
But the spirit would carry on.

Offline tiagodon

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2014, 01:23:41 PM »
I don´t see JLB as indispensable. Well, he and JP are “the face” of the band today. But the only guy carrying the spirit of the band is JP. JLB is just the voice and the guy in the middle of the stage. JP is the entrée, the main course at a meal. The other guys are just sides. JP is indispensable. DT dies without him. He could replace them all and the spirit would still carry on.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2014, 02:54:40 PM »
He could replace them all and the spirit would still carry on.

Not even close.

The closest thing we could get to DT without the other 4 members is if JP got together with Portnoy, Moore and Dominici. And even at that point, the 'spirit' as it were, would be completely different.

I'd say DT could lose any one member, and after some time, still regain that magic that made them DT, as they did with Mangini. But 2+ members are gone, and it would probably feel like a very different band to me.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2014, 03:01:41 PM »
Purely circumstantial.  We don't know who's leaving and why and at what time.  Let's say Myung left DT and they got a new bassist.  JP would be the only original member left, but the identity of the band would still remain.  JR's the second newest member, but if he left the band's music would be affected a lot more.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2014, 07:23:53 PM »
Honestly, I think JPs guitar style is highly representative of what makes DTs sound, and of all the different aspects and facets, is probably the essential element necessarily for DT to continue. So Could DT carry on with just JP? Probably.

Offline billybobjoe1881

« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2014, 08:12:12 PM »
James LaBrie would have to stay for DT to carry on.  I don't see how you'd be able to replace him.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2014, 08:13:42 PM »
I think it could, but it would kind of be like when Tony Iommi carried on as Black Sabbath with different members.  It worked and they created some amazing music, but their popularity was abysmal.

If it was just JP and JLB though, definitely.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2014, 08:35:29 PM »
With just any one member of the band, it's not DT, even if it were JP. I'd say that generalization extends to pretty much any band.

Except Whitesnake.

Completely disagree with theory. 

I think it could, but it would kind of be like when Tony Iommi carried on as Black Sabbath with different members.  It worked and they created some amazing music, but their popularity was abysmal.

Agree.  And this was exactly the band I was thinking of.  I don't understand how people can say it is not a band if it is just one member.  It is a bit of a tough pill to swallow if all of the sudden 80% of a band is fired and just one person remains BUT I personally think the current Black Sabbath is less Black Sabbath-like than when Tony Iommi was the only original member.  The current one has no Bill and Ozzy sounds like absolute crap.

Anyway, unless it was a gradual thing I don't think the public would buy it but it could still work.  If the music was still good I would still call myself a fan. 

Offline The Dark Master

• Veteran of the Psychic Wars
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2014, 08:49:13 PM »
With just John Petrucci, no.  He is the main songwriter, for both music and lyrics, but part of what defines the sound of Dream Theater is the voice of James LaBrie.  While they did go through other singers before JLB joined the band, the simple fact of the matter is that very few people know, and even less actually like, the sound of WDADU and the Majesty Demos.  For all intents and purposes, James is the only singer Dream Theater has ever had that most fans have heard, and he is therefore the only voice of DT that matters (and I don't say this lightly; I love WDADU and the Majesty Demos, but the reality is very few others share my feelings concerning those early recordingts).  With JLB being the singer on every DT release from the past 23 years, to attempt to bring in another singer at this point (or later) would be tantamount to career suicide.

Now beyond that, I think the rest of the band members could probably be changed without too much of an upset.  As difficult as it is to imagine Dream Theater without John Myung, if they absolutely needed to, I'm certain DT could find another bass player of comparable talent.  The real question for me is that, with John and John having been in bands together since they were 12, would Petrucci want to be in a Dream Theater that did not include John Myung.

As for Jordan, while he is a big contributor in composing the music of DT, there were two keyboardists before him on four albums, with one of those records still bearing the honor of being the band's most commercially successful album, and another being held in very high esteem by much of the fanbase.  Whenever Jordan decides to retire, if the other members of DT wish to continue on as a band, I'm sure they could fine someone else to take over on the keys.  Perhaps Derek would reunite with the band, or it could be someone new entirely (I'm not holding my breath for a reunion with Moore), but they could certainly carry on without Jordan.

Lastly,  it goes without saying that they could replace Mike Mangini if they absolutely needed to.  No offence to MM, of course, but while he is of the highest class of virtuoso talent, if needed, the band could conceivably find another drummer to fill the position.   Much like the keyboardists, I'm not sure if they would reunite with Portnoy, or if they would just bring in a completely new member, but if they ever needed to change drummers again, they could certainly do so.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 09:17:23 PM by The Dark Master »

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2014, 08:55:20 PM »
Assuming JP were the only member left of the current line-up? Not a chance.

JLB is the voice of DT. They could get away with the replacement of Charlie Dominici because they had only one album out and were still a pretty undeveloped band trying to find their sound. JLB was one of the defining elements to tying everything together as they fell into place. As for JM and JR, one could argue that they don't contribute as much to DT's overall musical direction and songwriting, which would be true, but while JP stands at the forefront of what they're all about now, the others are a magnificent support that keeps the entire structure stable. It's possible DT may survive the replacement of JR or JM, but for JP to be the sole one left, the sound would be far too different to not even being DT anymore. JP might carry on, but not without immense backlash and disinterest from the fanbase (it's pretty safe to assume that the fanbase would consider DT dead at this point).

Offline Grizz

« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2014, 09:01:46 PM »

Except Whitesnake.
What about King Crimson?
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline The Dark Master

• Veteran of the Psychic Wars
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2014, 09:06:43 PM »

Except Whitesnake.
What about King Crimson?

Or Savatage (Jon Oliva), Megadeth (Dave Mustaine), Iced Earth (Jon Schaffer), etc.

There certainly are bands that have essentially revolved around only one guy for the entirety of their careers, and could endure a revolving lineup of musicians.  Dream Theater, however, is not one of those bands....

Offline gentaishinigami

« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2014, 09:45:36 PM »
I think it could.  It wouldn't be the same, but that is not to say it would be bad.  Perhaps he gets a female singer, or a different style of singer and it works out equally as good as labrie.

IMO JP is the core of what makes DT sound like DT (well, and crazy keyboards).  Listen to Suspended Animation and you can still hear that core DT vibe coming through. 

If you put another guitar player in there DT would sound nothing like it does now.  For instance, JLB solo albums.  Still JLB singing, MM on drums half the time, a guitar player that's channeling JP pretty hard at times and still doesn't "sound" much like DT (yes, I'm aware its stylistically different music).

All that said though, I feel like DT probably only has 2-3 albums max left before they all say "F it - time to retire and spend time with the family".   At their current schedule that would put Rudess at 63 when the 3rd album drops! @_@  So, hopefully the lineup can hold together and they can continue to shower us with great music.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2014, 10:19:41 PM »
All that said though, I feel like DT probably only has 2-3 albums max left before they all say "F it - time to retire and spend time with the family".   At their current schedule that would put Rudess at 63 when the 3rd album drops! @_@  So, hopefully the lineup can hold together and they can continue to shower us with great music.

This is one of the things about DT I'm a little confused by.  The band seems to be acting like they'll basically be making music until they die.  I'm not sure they've really thought about their end game as a band because I don't think they see there being one.  But they have to stop at some point, don't they.  The music they play is really hard to play.  Don't you get too old at some point?
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline gentaishinigami

« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2014, 11:19:50 PM »

This is one of the things about DT I'm a little confused by.  The band seems to be acting like they'll basically be making music until they die.  I'm not sure they've really thought about their end game as a band because I don't think they see there being one.  But they have to stop at some point, don't they.  The music they play is really hard to play.  Don't you get too old at some point?

I can see them all making music till they are gone, but I can't see them holding DT together for that long.  I figure liek above we have a few albums left from DT then they will split and do solo albums and colabs with other artist instead.  DT just seems too demanding to do in your mid 60s to me.  Then again JP is much younger (hes only 46 vs rudess 57) so who knows how it'll all turn out.

Offline cookienut

• Far Away From Home
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2014, 11:50:24 PM »
Yes they can.

JP could easily cover drums, guitar, bass, keys and vocals all by himself.

Offline gentaishinigami

« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2014, 11:59:59 PM »
Yes they can.

JP could easily cover drums, guitar, bass, keys and vocals all by himself.

I think the only thing I haven't heard/seen him play was keys.  He proved he can sing with The Spirit Carries On demo, bass is pretty easy if you can play guitar, and he played drums in Nightmare Cinema iirc.

He could play them all in the studio, and live he could have a troupe of animatronic bears (ala those 80s Chuck E. Cheese's ones) that would play the other instruments to backing tracks.  He could then call it Bearly Dream Theater!

:biggrin:

Edit:  Untalented artist rendition of said band (I couldn't figure out how to do the MM bear in a percussive way   :sadpanda:)

« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 02:37:51 AM by gentaishinigami »

Offline Invisible

« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2014, 04:05:05 AM »
 :rollin :rollin :rollin  :hefdaddy

Jokes aside, it would depend on the timing. If the others all leave at once, then absolutely not, but one at a time, starting with JM/JR and finally LaBrie, it could happen, though not very likely.

As for the age, I've seen quite a number of great keyboards/piano players who are way older than JR, the thing is maybe the 3 hours set, but the keyboards themselves are not as physically demanding as singing or drums I think. I've seen injuries from every other of the band members instruments, singing being the first on the list, but also hand injuries from guitar players, but from keyboardists it's more rare I believe. I may be dead wrong though since I barely play them.

Offline Sir Walrus Cauliflower

« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2014, 06:21:36 AM »
Would he?
No.

Should he?
No.

Could he?
maybe
I feel strangely honored to be following up a post from Sir Walrus Cauliflower.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2014, 07:05:05 AM »
Would he?
No.

Should he?
No.

Could he?
maybe

Basically this.  He probably would not, and it's a matter of opinion whether or not he "should" - though most seem to agree that when it's just one guy left, it's not really the same band anymore.  But he probably could.  To a lot of people, JP's guitar is what makes Dream Theater.  To others, it's that plus the musicianship and songwriting (of which JP is a big part) and JLB's voice, and the rest of the package.

But the comparison to Tony Iommi and Black Sabbath is a good one.  I never thought of Black Sabbath as "his" band, but apparently Tony Iommi thought so at some point.  If something happened in the future, and a Dream Theater album came out and JP was the only guy left, I have to admit I'd at least check it out.  And it would probably be pretty good, too, because it's JP and whoever he got to play with him, who I'm assuming would also be good.

« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2014, 07:44:38 AM »
Would he?
No.

Should he?
No.

Could he?
maybe

Basically this.  He probably would not, and it's a matter of opinion whether or not he "should" - though most seem to agree that when it's just one guy left, it's not really the same band anymore.  But he probably could.  To a lot of people, JP's guitar is what makes Dream Theater.  To others, it's that plus the musicianship and songwriting (of which JP is a big part) and JLB's voice, and the rest of the package.

But the comparison to Tony Iommi and Black Sabbath is a good one.  I never thought of Black Sabbath as "his" band, but apparently Tony Iommi thought so at some point.  If something happened in the future, and a Dream Theater album came out and JP was the only guy left, I have to admit I'd at least check it out.  And it would probably be pretty good, too, because it's JP and whoever he got to play with him, who I'm assuming would also be good.

I would definately check it out too. And you're right, it probably would be good, but I get the feeling it wouldn't sound like DT. If JR, JLB, JM, and MM all just left, he might as well just call the band something else, start a new one, or work on solo stuff.

Even if everyone left and Portnoy came back, I doubt there could ever be DT without James.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2014, 09:42:12 AM »

I can see them all making music till they are gone, but I can't see them holding DT together for that long.  I figure liek above we have a few albums left from DT then they will split and do solo albums and colabs with other artist instead.  DT just seems too demanding to do in your mid 60s to me.  Then again JP is much younger (hes only 46 vs rudess 57) so who knows how it'll all turn out.
I dunno man, how old is Tony Levin? There are certainly people in progressive rock playing techy stuff who are pretty old. And the Tony Iommi comparison is a great one - it probably couldn't happen if they all left at once, but even though it's unimaginable to us now, everyone else (not the hardcore part of the fanbase or outside it) would probably go along with it.

And while I personally couldn't imagine DT without James, there's basically a bunch of people who downright hate on him so that would be a good scenario for them :lol

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline emtee

« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2014, 09:45:55 AM »
I would still buy their albums if JLB wasn't singing. Just one fans opinion though. Listen with an open mind has always been
my philosophy, especially when it comes to established bands with lineup changes. Some are swings and misses and others
really sound great.

« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2014, 09:48:14 AM »
I would buy the album and listen for sure, at I'm sure it would be good. But without James, I think it should be released under a different band name or collaboration. James makes a up a HUGE part of DT's sound.

Offline gentaishinigami

« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2014, 09:48:34 AM »

I dunno man, how old is Tony Levin? There are certainly people in progressive rock playing techy stuff who are pretty old. And the Tony Iommi comparison is a great one - it probably couldn't happen if they all left at once, but even though it's unimaginable to us now, everyone else (not the hardcore part of the fanbase or outside it) would probably go along with it.

And while I personally couldn't imagine DT without James, there's basically a bunch of people who downright hate on him so that would be a good scenario for them :lol

I'm sure they could keep playing, I'm just not sure they would want to hold such a musical commitment like DT that late in life when they could be finally spending time with family and whatnot.  I'm sure they could still play as well, but I meant DT is demanding more in the touring/promotion area.  They could still do music but less touring and more side-project type stuff.

Also, I'm sad my poorly shopped picture only got one laugh!   :|