Author Topic: New Live Release: BREAKING THE FOURTH WALL discussion thread  (Read 218529 times)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Re: New Live Release: BREAKING THE FOURTH WALL discussion thread
« Reply #2065 on: December 09, 2016, 09:00:58 AM »
I have heard harrowing stories of riggers for whom the actual show time is the only time when they can rest. So, they get maybe 4 hours of sleep at night, and then pass out during the actual show, only to get up at the end and tear down the stuff.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2066 on: December 09, 2016, 09:11:07 AM »
That's cool Bosk.

On one of the Maiden DVDs they even went into so much of what the crew does, that they even featured the person that does their laundry. You just don't think about those things. And like any other job group, there are surely strict time and budgetary constraints so everyone is up against it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2067 on: December 09, 2016, 09:19:03 AM »
That's cool Bosk.

On one of the Maiden DVDs they even went into so much of what the crew does, that they even featured the person that does their laundry. You just don't think about those things. And like any other job group, there are surely strict time and budgetary constraints so everyone is up against it.
Yeah, I saw that.  And through getting close to bands like DT and Y&T, I have gotten some good insight into it over the years.  That is why I always jump in on those economic discussions about how "rich" bands get from touring and am quick to point out that there is a TON of expense that most fans have no clue about.  It's not simply "band gets 50% of the house take after expenses and splits it 5 ways" or anything remotely like that.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2068 on: December 09, 2016, 09:23:36 AM »
When I saw Devin Townsend Project a couple months ago, I was so surprised to see the guitarist and keyboardist on stage setting up their own instruments before going on.  I feel like that is them trying to maximize their budget or give their roadies a break maybe.  There definitely isn't a ton of money to be made in the business, it's about a love for the music.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2069 on: December 09, 2016, 09:25:51 AM »
That's cool Bosk.

Yeah, I saw that.  And through getting close to bands like DT and Y&T, I have gotten some good insight into it over the years.  That is why I always jump in on those economic discussions about how "rich" bands get from touring and am quick to point out that there is a TON of expense that most fans have no clue about.  It's not simply "band gets 50% of the house take after expenses and splits it 5 ways" or anything remotely like that.

Right. I have also heard offline that these last couple DT tours have been VERY expensive.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #2070 on: December 09, 2016, 09:34:18 AM »
  And through getting close to bands like DT and Y&T, I have gotten some good insight into it over the years.  That is why I always jump in on those economic discussions about how "rich" bands get from touring and am quick to point out that there is a TON of expense that most fans have no clue about.  It's not simply "band gets 50% of the house take after expenses and splits it 5 ways" or anything remotely like that.

Exactly right. I've been fortunate enough to have access to a few bands over the years that are just as big in name, but not currently as popular as DT. And it's expensive to get out there as a headliner and tour. You have to limit the size of your crew (who usually perform double and triple duty), and it's not posh hotels and the like all the time. The expenses are high. Most club sized and very small theater headliners, they depends on merch sales to make ends meet. And it's not always profitable.

I mean, look at King's X -- they are a historic band. Every musician credits them. They can't get gigs that make sense financially. Look at the small clubs bands like Fates Warning and Queensryche play? Sure, it's cool, but they are not rolling in dough. They have to pay everyone, and whatever is left, the principals of those bands get. Sometimes, it's not much.

Dream Theater is in a little better position, but not as much as some people think. It costs a ton of money to put the production on they do every night. it wouldn't surprise me in the least of this last leg of The Astonishing tour barely broke even. And that's not a slight to DT -- it's just how it is.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2071 on: December 09, 2016, 10:36:12 AM »
You see JP talking to his guitar tech occasionally (which I find delightful)...

JP and Maddi are pretty tight.  Even after the shows are over, it seems like Maddi is rarely more than a few feet away from wherever John is.
Maddi is a trip.  Meeting him was one of the highlights of the show the other night.  That is one funny dude.  His job is apparently 60% guitar tech, 40% electrical engineer.

He also appreciated the fact that my eldest daughter (who was with me) is named Maddie.  :lol
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2072 on: December 10, 2016, 07:21:38 AM »

Peter Gabriel has a really cool live DVD called "Downside Up" where they make a point out of occasionally filming below stage to show all the guys being busy.

"Growing Up," actually. ;) But yeah, it is most excellent.  :hat

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #2073 on: December 10, 2016, 11:09:46 AM »
JP is way too loud on Luna Park.

This. My blu ray is all JP

But I wasn't even there!

:jamaritard:

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #2074 on: December 12, 2016, 09:10:42 AM »

Peter Gabriel has a really cool live DVD called "Downside Up" where they make a point out of occasionally filming below stage to show all the guys being busy.

"Growing Up," actually. ;) But yeah, it is most excellent.  :hat
One of my very favorite live concerts ever.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2075 on: August 13, 2018, 09:14:58 AM »
Epic bump!

I feel stupid because maybe I missed something...but is the CD out of print or something? I’ve checked Amazon and it’s streaming only, and on eBay I can only find the DVD and BluRay.

What the French, toast?
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2076 on: August 13, 2018, 09:17:33 AM »
There is no CD.  It is and had always been DVD/Br only.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2077 on: August 13, 2018, 09:22:11 AM »
Weird....the Wiki page says it was released as a BR/3-CD package, and even gives a track listing for the CDs....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breaking_the_Fourth_Wall?wprov=sfti1

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #2078 on: August 13, 2018, 09:24:58 AM »
Weird....the Wiki page says it was released as a BR/3-CD package, and even gives a track listing for the CDs....

This is correct. I have it. My friend was pissed because he doesn't have a blu ray player but still wanted the cd so he never bothered.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2079 on: August 13, 2018, 09:41:51 AM »
Interesting.  If true, then I stand corrected.  ...but I also stand highly confused.  :lol  I ALWAYS buy both CD and video (DVD/BR) of live releases, if available.  And I seem to remember being disappointed that there was no audio version of this release, and being disappointed about that.  Let me check my sources and get back to you.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #2080 on: August 13, 2018, 10:11:35 AM »
Yeah, Apple Music and Spotify both have the audio to this. However, neither have Live at Luna Park.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline Learning2Live

« Reply #2081 on: August 13, 2018, 10:34:17 AM »

This is correct. I have it. My friend was pissed because he doesn't have a blu ray player but still wanted the cd so he never bothered.

+1 as I have the Blu-Ray/3 CD version as well.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2082 on: August 13, 2018, 10:51:42 AM »
Work is going really well, so I’d be willing to spend a bit to get my hands on one (don’t want to get outrageous) but I can’t even find a used one on eBay...which is kinda odd. I mean even rare stuff usually makes a listing, even if the asking price is too high.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #2083 on: August 13, 2018, 11:49:37 AM »
I just checked discogs and they have pages for it but none available.  I can't remember but I'm thinking this may have been something you had to order directly through Roadrunner. 

Epic bump!

I feel stupid because maybe I missed something...but is the CD out of print or something? I’ve checked Amazon and it’s streaming only,

Well, you can download it, too.  I hate downloading but there is that option on Amazon, not just streaming. 

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #2084 on: August 13, 2018, 12:14:03 PM »
If you want a high-quality version, check out HD Tracks.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2085 on: August 13, 2018, 12:32:03 PM »
JP is way too loud on Luna Park.

This. My blu ray is all JP

But I wasn't even there!

:jamaritard:
And,, John Petrucci was way too quiet on Live at Budokon dvd..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2086 on: August 13, 2018, 12:57:47 PM »
I think the BR/3CD was a limited run. It's no longer on RR's website but the stand alone blu ray and DVDs are.

https://store.roadrunnerrecords.com/artists-1/dream-theater.html

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2087 on: August 13, 2018, 02:28:51 PM »
Well ya, but I can get those anywhere.

I’m going to keep my eyes open, but if anyone happens to see one for sale, let me know.

Or even if anyone here is willing to sell theirs. I’d drop a C-note if it was absolutely A+ mint condition.

EDIT - that would be for the entire BR/CD bundle in original packaging.

Offline 425

« Reply #2088 on: August 14, 2018, 07:59:00 PM »
I never got this when it first came out, and I was also disappointed to find the CD was no longer available.

I'm trying to be more relaxed about things like this, though, so I went for the standalone Blu-Ray and bought the audio download separately.

But hey, I'm listening to this for the first time now, and I quite like it! JLB sounds really good on the Awake stuff, which is where I worried he'd struggle. And I'm happy that this has several songs that have never been released live before. I'm starting to ease back into listening to prog, and I'm finding that listening to live performances is something I like quite a bit more than I used to (which is why I decided to get this and am even going for OIALT, which I'd also never had).
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #2089 on: August 14, 2018, 10:19:46 PM »
Yeah, James sounds amazing on this.  In fact, the whole band does.  The recording is damn near flawless but I felt like Petrucci's guitars were a little low but nothing major. 

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #2090 on: August 14, 2018, 10:38:04 PM »
Ya, can’t decide if this one or Score is their best live film. Funnily enough, both of those tours are tied for my favorite DT show. Coincidence?

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2091 on: August 14, 2018, 11:13:36 PM »
I feel like I should like this release more. I am a huge Awake guy, and while I love the Scenes just as much The Overture, SDV and TDoE aren't my favorite songs from that album. I am not big on DT12 but the selections from that album are good. Visually and aurally it is solid. I just can't put my finger on it really. Unless it is burnout from DT concert videos, which is certainly a possibility. 
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #2092 on: August 15, 2018, 06:16:28 AM »
Loved this release and I also got the BR/3CD version as I always like to have the cd version of any live release if it's available.  First couple of songs sound a bit muddy guitar wise but this picks up as the show goes on and guitars sound great.  This reflects the show that I saw though when I thought the sound was not great early on and picked up as the show went on.  JLB sounds awesome on this release as well and sings the Awake stuff pretty much flawlessly, again reflecting the show that I attended earlier in the tour.

Like others have said it is very close with Score for their best live release for me.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #2093 on: August 15, 2018, 07:05:57 AM »
I just wish the orchestra on Score was a really good one. Or, you know. At least in tune.
Apart from that, Score is pretty damn awesome.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #2094 on: August 15, 2018, 10:33:59 AM »
I never really noticed any issue with the orchestra on Score to be honest. I love the version of Metropolis Pt 1 with the orchestra, probably my favourite version of that song.

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2095 on: August 15, 2018, 11:43:44 AM »
I just wish the orchestra on Score was a really good one. Or, you know. At least in tune.

What do you mean?  :huh:
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2096 on: August 15, 2018, 12:18:04 PM »
Ya, that gets a major ??? from me as well.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #2097 on: August 15, 2018, 12:30:48 PM »
I think BTFW blows Score out of the water.  Setlist is much better.  Performance is better too.  James sounds great in both but he has a bit more grittiness and fullness to his voice in BTFW.  Plus, yeah...the orchestra is a bit out of tune in parts with Score.  Thankfully it isn't *that* noticeable as many here seem to have not noticed. 

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2098 on: August 15, 2018, 04:21:49 PM »
Setlist wise, there are some songs on BTFW I can do without, but overall it's pretty damn good.  Score, I pretty much liked all the songs and the performance was great.  The orchestra was a little out of sync and may have missed a few notes here and there, but still enjoyable.

Both Score and BTFW rank high in my book.  :tup
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #2099 on: August 16, 2018, 07:05:00 AM »

What do you mean?  :huh:

There are certain instruments in the orchestra in Score that are out of tune. It's been discussed a lot since Score was released.