Author Topic: New Live Release: BREAKING THE FOURTH WALL discussion thread  (Read 219541 times)

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
Re: Upcoming DVD of the Boston Performance (3-25-2014) BREAKING THE FOURTH WALL
« Reply #875 on: September 19, 2014, 05:06:29 PM »
 :lol
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #876 on: September 19, 2014, 06:05:18 PM »
I hate to say this, but although I was really looking forward to this DVD, the mixing of the orchestra really, really bothers me. In the SDV video, from 2:49 you can see the orchestra playing but you can barely hear them. And I have a pretty great stereo set. I had to strain to hear them on both my stereo set and on my decent headphones (Sennheiser HD205). The mixing of the Orchestra on Score was way better. I'm really disappointed.

Good god man, I don't agree with using youtube as a scapegoat to blame all sound issues on, but at the very least wait til the DVD comes out to hear it properly. Simple fact is, it's too soon to know for sure. I bet it's not too soon for people to preemptively judge the entire performance based on two songs with youtube encoding though. It might very well be a fair representation of the mix, but it still won't be identical to the native sound that the DVD will output. I'm sure the discussions will be all over this forum in about a week and a half. ;)

Also, when you said SDV it properly confused me aswell. :P

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #877 on: September 19, 2014, 07:05:35 PM »
Yea, I think youtube gives a good idea of the mix, but the blu-ray will have the definitive sound and until we hear that, we should reserve our judgments on how this will sound.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #878 on: September 19, 2014, 08:38:32 PM »
I'm not judging the final product, but I do agree that when I heard the clip, I could not hear the orchestra *AT ALL*. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #879 on: September 20, 2014, 11:51:39 AM »
I hate to say this, but although I was really looking forward to this DVD, the mixing of the orchestra really, really bothers me. In the SDV video, from 2:49 you can see the orchestra playing but you can barely hear them. And I have a pretty great stereo set. I had to strain to hear them on both my stereo set and on my decent headphones (Sennheiser HD205). The mixing of the Orchestra on Score was way better. I'm really disappointed.

Good god man, I don't agree with using youtube as a scapegoat to blame all sound issues on, but at the very least wait til the DVD comes out to hear it properly. Simple fact is, it's too soon to know for sure. I bet it's not too soon for people to preemptively judge the entire performance based on two songs with youtube encoding though. It might very well be a fair representation of the mix, but it still won't be identical to the native sound that the DVD will output. I'm sure the discussions will be all over this forum in about a week and a half. ;)

Also, when you said SDV it properly confused me aswell. :P
Sure I'll wait, but the fact that it's 1080p on Youtube and still doesn't sound very good (with regard to the orchestra mix) does at least say something, don't you think?

Offline Grizz

« Reply #880 on: September 20, 2014, 12:41:48 PM »
1080p doesn't mean jack diddly shit in terms of audio quality, except that the associated Youtube format has a slightly acceptable bitrate.
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline Onno

« Reply #881 on: September 20, 2014, 02:43:34 PM »
Fair enough, I thought the audio qualities on Youtube were directly related to the video qualities.

Offline Miss Bangkok

• Forum Slut
« Reply #882 on: September 20, 2014, 02:45:35 PM »
If people can't hear the orchestra it's because they have piss poor hearing. It's loud and clear, especially the strings. It's hilarious when people say things like "I couldn't hear the bass" lol, that's because they don't know how to pick it out in the mix. People like that wouldn't hear it if it bit them in the ballsack.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #883 on: September 20, 2014, 03:07:51 PM »
If people can't hear the orchestra it's because they have piss poor hearing. It's loud and clear, especially the strings. It's hilarious when people say things like "I couldn't hear the bass" lol, that's because they don't know how to pick it out in the mix. People like that wouldn't hear it if it bit them in the ballsack.

The fact is that it's way quieter than say the keyboards or the guitar. Bringing it up in the mix a bit would be much appreciated, just like the bass. In a band setting, the bass should be nearly as loud or as loud as the guitar. (See: Rush)
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Grizz

« Reply #884 on: September 20, 2014, 03:16:25 PM »
Fair enough, I thought the audio qualities on Youtube were directly related to the video qualities.
Oh, well on Youtube it is. It's pretty low though.
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline Onno

« Reply #885 on: September 20, 2014, 03:24:52 PM »
Well, thanks. I suppose I have piss poor hearing then.

The fact is that it's way quieter than say the keyboards or the guitar. Bringing it up in the mix a bit would be much appreciated, just like the bass. In a band setting, the bass should be nearly as loud or as loud as the guitar. (See: Rush)
Agreed.
When I started the Strange Déjà-Vu video, at first I thought I could hear the orchestra well, but when I listened a bit better I heard that actually almost of it was Jordan's keyboard. That's why I referred to the 2:49 point; at that point there isn't a lot of keyboard, and I have to strain to hear the orchestra there.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #886 on: September 20, 2014, 03:45:20 PM »
As I mentioned before, 2:46 - 2:48 the keyboards are tacit ("not playing anything" for non-music people) and the orchestra is playing something.  Strain all you want, its just simply not in the mix for that portion - as in absent.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #887 on: September 20, 2014, 05:14:29 PM »

It depends on what the bass does too though. If it's doing a groove or a countermelody like what Rush often does, then yea it should be close to guitar. If it's merely doubling the guitar, which is common for DT, then it should be a bit lower, to just add texture to the mix. Otherwise it could become abrasive.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #888 on: September 20, 2014, 05:36:50 PM »
Yeah, I'm not sure Rush is the best example.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #889 on: September 20, 2014, 06:01:05 PM »
I hear orchestra well from 2:00 to 2:40 and from 4:00 to the end. In other parts of the song guitar is too loud so I gues it's lost in mix due to it. But I believe it'll sound even better on DVD/Bluray.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #890 on: September 22, 2014, 06:05:16 AM »
I hear orchestra well from 2:00 to 2:40 and from 4:00 to the end. In other parts of the song guitar is too loud so I gues it's lost in mix due to it. But I believe it'll sound even better on DVD/Bluray.
4:00 onwards is much better. 2:00-2:40 I'm not really convinced by, I can hear the strings a bit but not really anything beyond Jordan is doing with his keyboard patch anyway.

Still, I'm not judging the actual thing, and agree that it might be better on disc. Just a bit concerning that the orchestra [/i]might[/i] be so underused in the mix.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline genome

« Reply #891 on: September 22, 2014, 05:38:23 PM »
I highly doubt it will be much different on disc, YouTube's compression is rarely so severe that it will affect the balance of instruments you're hearing. It might be slightly crisper and have higher fidelity but I'd wager the mix is pretty close to what you'll get on Blu Ray, unless this is another rough mix like that first TLG video (which I doubt).

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #892 on: September 22, 2014, 07:29:33 PM »
I highly doubt it will be much different on disc, YouTube's compression is rarely so severe that it will affect the balance of instruments you're hearing. It might be slightly crisper and have higher fidelity but I'd wager the mix is pretty close to what you'll get on Blu Ray, unless this is another rough mix like that first TLG video (which I doubt).

I think the biggest difference will be in the equipment, since a lot of people will be listening to the Youtube mix on computer speakers instead of whatever device they play their DVD/BR on. I use my computers for both with good headphones, so I don't expect the final mix to sound very different to what I'm hearing on Youtube.

This is probably the stereo mix too, so it will likely sound a bit different on the surround sound mix. But I really don't expect the stereo mix is going to sound noticeably different to the Youtube video.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #893 on: September 22, 2014, 07:46:43 PM »
For Blu Ray's with lossless receivers it will be a huge difference.   I've seen this director's work before and he hasn't disappointed me yet.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Grizz

« Reply #894 on: September 22, 2014, 08:09:45 PM »
Chycki did the sound. And I don't think that a lossless lineage will be much different from 192kbps AAC.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #895 on: September 22, 2014, 08:10:27 PM »
For Blu Ray's with lossless receivers it will be a huge difference.   I've seen this director's work before and he hasn't disappointed me yet.

The audio mix is Chycki; the director is not involved with that as far as I know. I'm sure the video will be great though. Even from these two videos, I'm enjoying the camera work a lot more than LALP, which disappointed me a bit in that regard.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #896 on: September 22, 2014, 08:23:43 PM »
As mentioned before, there were likely issues with the isolated orchestra tracks, which may have suffered from the live guitar sound bleeding into their mics, so it may not be an issue of just adjusting the mix.  Hypothetically speaking, if Rich raises the sound of the orchestra, he may upping the guitar bounce back as well.

Offline Grizz

« Reply #897 on: September 22, 2014, 08:35:26 PM »
Curse the incompetent live sound engineers!

Offline Vlasto

• The DAY is nigh...
  • DT.net Veteran
  • John,14-6
« Reply #898 on: September 23, 2014, 01:16:54 AM »

Exactly
-------
… sure the sound will be more refined on BD, but won’t considerably change perceiving of particular instruments …

Offline genome

« Reply #899 on: September 23, 2014, 05:17:50 AM »
FWIW I do kind of like the live energy of the mix going on. The only thing I'm really not a fan of is JP's tone.

Offline the_silent_man

« Reply #900 on: September 23, 2014, 06:05:27 AM »
Hey guys, new to the forums, but have been hanging around for a while :) When I get more time I'll post a bit about myself and my rankings etc.

I was wondering if anyone knew if there will be any bonus features on this release? It has been stated in press releases that there will be, but looking at the released back cover of the DVD, it doesn't state any whatsoever (which is strange as they're usually listed if there are any).

From the clips seen, the sound & performance of the concert looks supurb to me, but it'll be disappointing if there's no extra material, as I always really enjoyed the documentaries.
I was hoping for stuff like the intro video to be available in HD as well as maybe some behind the scenes stuff etc.

Anyone have any info on this.

Many thanks, and glad to be a part of this awesome forum :D

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #902 on: September 23, 2014, 10:35:06 AM »
Hey guys, new to the forums, but have been hanging around for a while :) When I get more time I'll post a bit about myself and my rankings etc.

I was wondering if anyone knew if there will be any bonus features on this release? It has been stated in press releases that there will be, but looking at the released back cover of the DVD, it doesn't state any whatsoever (which is strange as they're usually listed if there are any).

From the clips seen, the sound & performance of the concert looks supurb to me, but it'll be disappointing if there's no extra material, as I always really enjoyed the documentaries.
I was hoping for stuff like the intro video to be available in HD as well as maybe some behind the scenes stuff etc.

Anyone have any info on this.

Many thanks, and glad to be a part of this awesome forum :D

Hopefully the intro video will be tacked on to the start of the show.....can't see why it shouldn't be. It's their music playing, so there shouldn't be any copyright issues...

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #903 on: September 23, 2014, 02:38:05 PM »

The audio mix is Chycki; the director is not involved with that as far as I know. I'm sure the video will be great though. Even from these two videos, I'm enjoying the camera work a lot more than LALP, which disappointed me a bit in that regard.

Yes but that's the same combo as the 2 Rush Blu Ray that I love so there. :lol 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #904 on: September 23, 2014, 02:54:54 PM »
OK, dumb question that I think has been covered, BUT...is the ONLY way to get the CD is to buy the BR from the Roadrunner site?? Is this right?

I seem to remember similar confusion when LALP came out, but they store near me did have a DVD/CD package.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 03:03:46 PM by TAC »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #905 on: September 23, 2014, 03:38:52 PM »
OK, dumb question that I think has been covered, BUT...is the ONLY way to get the CD is to buy the BR from the Roadrunner site?? Is this right?

I seem to remember similar confusion when LALP came out, but they store near me did have a DVD/CD package.

I'm pretty sure it is a RR exclusive.  It doesn't say so on the site but when I completed my order of it it said "Roadrunner exclusive" so I'm guessing its a RR exclusive

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
« Reply #906 on: September 24, 2014, 05:18:53 AM »
The Blu-Ray is $15 on Amazon and $25 on Roadrunner.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #907 on: September 24, 2014, 08:41:03 AM »
The Blu-Ray is $15 on Amazon and $25 on Roadrunner.

I wish amazon had the BluRay+Audio version.   :censored

Offline Jinx

• The Unicyclist's #1 fan!
  • Shaaaamaan take my haaaannd!!
« Reply #908 on: September 24, 2014, 08:48:01 AM »
Strange question but...

Is there actually any bonus features for this? Looking at that back cover, theres no indication of any at all, and the running time on Amazon states 2 hrs 39 mins which sounds about right for the concert!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #909 on: September 24, 2014, 09:46:35 AM »
Running times never include bonus features, only the main feature.  So that has no bearing.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.