Author Topic: New Live Release: BREAKING THE FOURTH WALL discussion thread  (Read 219319 times)

Offline PetFish

What's the point of saying John Myung plays those pedals?  They should credit Jordan Rudess with playing the Riffer, the Continuum, the Waveboard, the iPhone, the iPad, the iWut, the Yo-yo, and the spoons.

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
Well, if there isn't any bonus material, why the double DVD?

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning

"2DVD" "complete with special bonus features"

And yea that is kinda funny how they credit JMX like that, but not Jordan Rudess for iPad and Roli Seaboard.

Offline Rodni Demental

Who's says there's no bonus features? I just assumed we didn't know much about what the content will actually be.

https://www.dreamtheater.net/preorder
On March 25th, 2014, Dream Theater performed at the Boston Opera House with very special guests from the Berklee College of Music orchestra and choir. Filmed and directed by Pierre and François Lamoureux, and mixed and mastered by Richard Chycki, Breaking The Fourth Wall (Live From The Boston Opera House) is over 2 hours in length, complete with special bonus features.

Edit: Looks like above poster beat me to the punch by about 20 seconds.  :lol

Offline Xenon

I wonder what the bonus are.
Maybe footage for the reharsals with the orchestra or something like that.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
As long as they have the stand alone version of that intro animation, I don't care what the other bonus features are.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.

Because a single blu-ray can hold about 5x the data as a single DVD. By splitting the show up into two DVDs they can increase the quality of the video and audio. Still won't be as good as the Blu-Ray, but will be better than a single DVD.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Xenon

As long as they have the stand alone version of that intro animation, I don't care what the other bonus features are.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5

Blob, you really outdid yourself.  :hefdaddy
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Jinx

• The Unicyclist's #1 fan!
  • Shaaaamaan take my haaaannd!!
To the folks who have preordered - Is the money taken right away or on despatch of the item? Cheers  :tup

Good question. All places are different, but I THINK Amazon might charge once the item is shipped. You might want to contact Amazon, or whoever you're pre-ordering from.

I was thinking about that Official DT page. Since the BD/3CD is "exclusive" (apparently) to that site.

Offline Grizz

Bonus feature speculation: Meanwhile, at B.B King's...
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline RaiseTheKnife

While this new version sounds more balanced, I'm partial to the earlier version.  Lotta ambient room under James voice and overall a lot less polished.  Personally, I don't mind a little refinement to a live release, although Luna Park might have been too extreme in that direction.

I can only imagine what's going on behind the DT curtain.  I mean, there was clearly a change in the sound.  Are they reading our posts and making tweaks?

Anyway, can't base everything on the quality of a Youtube clip.  Looking forward to the final BluRay sound.

Offline Sycsa

I can only imagine what's going on behind the DT curtain.  I mean, there was clearly a change in the sound.  Are they reading our posts and making tweaks?
While it sounds appealing, I can't really imagine that the guys working on the release are that incompetent and/or humble at the same time to base their work on internet feedback. Pointing out flaws on artwork is a different kind of animal.

Love that the keys are so loud this time around, that's the most needed change compared to LALP & DT12. That's nothing new though, Live Scenes had louder keys than SFAM and Budokan had that loud bass I was hoping would return on this release. Oh well, can't win 'em all.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline erwinrafael

So the left and right mix of MM's drums is based on Stage Left and Stage Right. Not MM's left and MM's right. So I would expect a complete reverse in speaker sounds for the drums compared to DT12.  :lol

Offline Syzzle

To the folks who have preordered - Is the money taken right away or on despatch of the item? Cheers  :tup
Well my bank statement is already showing that the money has been taken out, but they did say it would show 2 charges 1 of which would just be a confirmation not an actual charge.

Offline mikeyd23

While it sounds appealing, I can't really imagine that the guys working on the release are that incompetent and/or humble at the same time to base their work on internet feedback. Pointing out flaws on artwork is a different kind of animal.

Love that the keys are so loud this time around, that's the most needed change compared to LALP & DT12. That's nothing new though, Live Scenes had louder keys than SFAM and Budokan had that loud bass I was hoping would return on this release. Oh well, can't win 'em all.

I agree, I can't imagine these changes being based off of feedback, especially this close to the release date. At this point, this thing has to already be finished in mixing and mastering and off to production to have it ready to ship in month.  My guess is that an earlier version of the mix/edit was uploaded to YouTube accidentally. The question is why did it take several days of that video being posted, accumulating over a hundred thousand views before it was taken down and replaced? Weird stuff man... The good news is that the new video looks and sounds amazing!

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member

Because a single blu-ray can hold about 5x the data as a single DVD. By splitting the show up into two DVDs they can increase the quality of the video and audio. Still won't be as good as the Blu-Ray, but will be better than a single DVD.

Of course, I should've figured. Still, extremely pumped for this release.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
So the Blu-Ray/3CD won't be widely available like Luna Park was? Awwww. I remember when CiM came out, it was hell finding the version with the CDs. How long's this special edition up for pre-order?
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline JRuless

*ring ring*
"Hello...Petrucci speaking..."

"Hi John, euhh..they expect something like bonus features..so euh...maybe.."

"Yes?"

"Maybe we could arrange...a little bit of a YOU and..you know?

*tuut tuut tuut*

"..John?"

:P

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
I'll get the standard DVD edition. I'm not obsessed with quality :p

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
LALP is why you shouldn't get documentary makers to direct a live DVD. Compare it with Budokan and it's like night and day.

Budokan looks like a bona fide rock show whilst LALP looks like a band playing at the disco night of their school.

Offline Sycsa

That has a lot to do with stage lighting. Budokan was restrained and classy, LALP had way too many bright colors. It just looked tasteless. It's not fair to compare anything to Budokan anyway, it's a one of a kind DVD in terms of visuals, looks like a movie rather than a concert.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline Xenon

I wish they go back to more dark lighting. And a more obscure atmosphere in the stage.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
After buying the Xbox One months and months ago, I just had to get the Blu-ray version. Better quality for a decent price and the ability to actually play the disc? Yes, please.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline Jinx

I wish they go back to more dark lighting. And a more obscure atmosphere in the stage.

Hmm I disagree. The stage setup this year was fantastic. The graffiti wall, the Enigma Machine, the HUGE screen. I loved it!

Offline mikeyd23

Hmm I disagree. The stage setup this year was fantastic. The graffiti wall, the Enigma Machine, the HUGE screen. I loved it!

Yeah I agree, the stage setup this tour was superb.  It all comes down to how its captured on film though, that makes a big difference. What looks good in person can easily look bad on film if not handled properly. From the looks of TLG video, the visuals on this release look pretty great, IMO.

Offline Xenon

Yeah I agree, the stage setup this tour was superb.  It all comes down to how its captured on film though, that makes a big difference. What looks good in person can easily look bad on film if not handled properly. From the looks of TLG video, the visuals on this release look pretty great, IMO.
Oh, I like all of those things. I'm not a fan of all that Shiny Lights and Colors Colliding  :lol
I dig the 1 colour per song lighting   ;D

Offline RaiseTheKnife

Also consider that years ago video format was limited in capturing degrees of light and the results were often smudgy and dark.  Perhaps this is what you are referring to by "dark lighting?"

Offline Jinx

Oh, I like all of those things. I'm not a fan of all that Shiny Lights and Colors Colliding  :lol
I dig the 1 colour per song lighting   ;D

I agree, in the live setting the lights add to it but, especially in the case of LALP, viewing it on the TV didnt really have the same effect.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

Same here, I can only hope that their visuals get more intense/impressive each tour.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Check out Epica's Retrospect DVD if you want to see how the stage lights can look terrible on video.

I thought from the one clip we can see, the crowd looks very dark (you cant even really see them besides the dark figure of them from the shots behind the crowd) as well as essentially everything that is off stage.  I think that helps the stage lighting with the video.  I think this stage/lighting/video was really awesome in person and I think it got captured pretty well in the video as well.  However, one thing I love about concert videos is to see the crowd reaction, so hopefully there are some shots of them on the rest of the DVD.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Finally got around to watching TLG....sounded great even on youtube! IMO they are indeed a different, better DT these days....you can see/hear the difference in their performances and body language.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
When is Amazon going to have the BluRay/CD Combo. Grr

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
That's what I would do as well, but this time I'm skeptical. It's said that the BD+3CD package is an official store exlusive.

Oh. I hope not. GRRRR.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
They should seriously release this kinda stuff on DTF first as a test, let us nitpick it to death, and then fix everything that's "wrong" about it and release it to the rest of the world. xD

Exactly. If it's something we DTFers now it's how to nitpick about every little detail :lol

It's still not perfect, there's no MP.