Author Topic: New Live Release: BREAKING THE FOURTH WALL discussion thread  (Read 218554 times)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: New Live Release: BREAKING THE FOURTH WALL discussion thread
« Reply #1996 on: November 11, 2015, 01:32:49 PM »
I was just listening to the CDs in the car and the back vocals in The Mirror are definitely JLB, I don't see why JP felt the need to lip sync..
I'm 90% sure the back vocals in the final section of Illumination Theory are lip synced too, it's still JP of course as it is on the album but he's not singing it live for some reason, anyone know?
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline James Mypetgiress

• Call me Dani. I have grown to hate this username.
« Reply #1997 on: November 11, 2015, 01:47:43 PM »
I noticed this as well. I would be intrigued as to why. Unless JP can do a seriously good JLB impression.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1998 on: November 11, 2015, 01:53:50 PM »
And there's other stuff that is blatantly on a backing track like guitar harmonies and you don't see JLB holding a guitar for those 2 seconds.

So many bands now use backing tracks and play to a click live that nobody would even care.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #1999 on: November 11, 2015, 02:13:44 PM »
And there's other stuff that is blatantly on a backing track like guitar harmonies and you don't see JLB holding a guitar for those 2 seconds.

So many bands now use backing tracks and play to a click live that nobody would even care.

You cannot see JLB holding a guitar like.... NEVER!  ;)

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2000 on: November 11, 2015, 03:59:42 PM »
I don't have a problem with the backing track, I just wanna know why the lip syncing.
I really like JP's live vocals, "Is there fantasy in refuge? God in politicians?" section in Voices LSFN and As I Am from Budokhan were great examples on him harmonizing with JLB.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2001 on: November 11, 2015, 04:08:51 PM »
I have no problem with backing tracks, but I prefer JP to either really sing (as in we can really hear him use his voice) or just let the backing tracks be backing tracks.  I get they probably want it to look live and that's the reasoning.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2002 on: November 11, 2015, 04:10:55 PM »
The lip syncing of background vocals is a complaint for me.

Honestly, I'd rather him sing it live than have any backing track.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline pcs90

« Reply #2003 on: November 11, 2015, 04:37:55 PM »
Yeah, either he should sing it live, or they should use a backing track and he just doesn't pretend to sing it live. No reason to fake it.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2004 on: November 11, 2015, 08:20:50 PM »
I have no problem with backing tracks, but I prefer JP to either really sing (as in we can really hear him use his voice) or just let the backing tracks be backing tracks.  I get they probably want it to look live and that's the reasoning.

This is how I feel about it. I don't have any problem with backing tracks for vocals, it's just the visual of lip syncing that has looked a bit silly to me on the last two DVDs, one of my few gripes with them.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2005 on: November 12, 2015, 06:28:42 AM »
Isn't it at all possible that JP sang the lines live but it post production said, "Oh, god...that's awful, have James overdub some vocals to clean that up." Or, he is singing along with the backing tracks but for the same reason, had them cut from the recording.

He is the producer after all.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #2006 on: November 12, 2015, 06:32:43 AM »
Isn't it at all possible that JP sang the lines live but it post production said, "Oh, god...that's awful, have James overdub some vocals to clean that up." Or, he is singing along with the backing tracks but for the same reason, had them cut from the recording.

I've pretty much always thought something along these lines. My guess is the idea was to blend the JLB backing track and JP's vocals and then JP got a little self conscious during the mixing process and his vocals ended up buried.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2007 on: November 12, 2015, 06:35:23 AM »

They had the backing tracks live though, with JP equally inaudible, not just on the DVD.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2008 on: November 12, 2015, 06:37:11 AM »
reading comprehension error
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2009 on: November 12, 2015, 06:38:22 AM »

They had the backing tracks live though, with JP equally inaudible, not just on the DVD.

Is this from people who were there ?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2010 on: November 12, 2015, 06:50:42 AM »

No of course not, we all just make up stories, then pass them down from generation to generation until story becomes myth, and myth becomes fact. The hope is that one day, historians will dig up the DTF server and recover the database, and write a new world history based solely on our own accounts of events. Then we will have won.

Offline Moor

• The more the merrier
« Reply #2011 on: November 12, 2015, 07:15:57 AM »
I already asked this question in another thread, but everyone ignored me.  :sad:

I'll try again here.

Does anyone know what those weird creepy monster things in the Illumination Theory animation are supposed to be?

Where do they come from? Why are they here? Where do they go when they die?

I want to make a book about them.

Fix'd

HAHAHAHAA  :lol :lol priceless

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2012 on: November 12, 2015, 07:33:29 AM »

No of course not, we all just make up stories, then pass them down from generation to generation until story becomes myth, and myth becomes fact. The hope is that one day, historians will dig up the DTF server and recover the database, and write a new world history based solely on our own accounts of events. Then we will have won.
:clap:
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #2013 on: November 12, 2015, 07:55:58 AM »
I already asked this question in another thread, but everyone ignored me.  :sad:

I'll try again here.

Does anyone know what those weird creepy monster things in the Illumination Theory animation are supposed to be?

Where do they come from? What are their desires, thoughts and beliefs? What sort of culture do they come from?

I want to make a book about them.

Truly have no idea. I'm curious as well
The artist who created the animation for IT has an account on here and had some threads going about the video.  I'm still trying to find the threads.  I'll post a link if I find them.

*Edit - found it.  His name is Thomas Pasieka which is also his username.  Here is a thread where he is talking about the video https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=38531.msg1748631#msg1748631

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2014 on: November 12, 2015, 10:04:20 AM »

:emo:

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2015 on: November 12, 2015, 11:55:33 AM »

:lol

I was there and the show was ear piercing. I was under the mezzanine and the sound was bouncing so the small, audible stuff like backing vocals were missed.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #2016 on: July 19, 2016, 09:12:03 PM »
I used to think JP's vocals had been removed in post-production due to them not sounding good, but for example, on the Wacken thing, that's totally him and it doesn't sound bad, in Budokan he does a good job.
However, it appears JP has done this since a long time ago, I recall reading MP saying that most of JP's voice in LSFNY was re-recorded, except during Through Her Eyes.

Jatruccyundessgini

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #2017 on: July 19, 2016, 09:19:50 PM »
On Illumination Theory, the pre-recorded track of JLB saying: "Hate Dividing Us, Love Reminding Us" are louder than the actual vocal from the live show and it always bugged me--or maybe it's just me
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Drinktheater

« Reply #2018 on: November 13, 2016, 05:44:34 AM »
It is an awesome live performance.

Now who else here got the goosebumps during Space Dye Vest live? I was like oh crap I creamed my panties when John soloed over the outhru of Space dye Vest
And she listens openly

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2019 on: November 13, 2016, 07:53:59 AM »
I just recently saw the Breaking The Fourth Wall for the first time last week and Space Dye Vest was honestly the low point for me in the concert.

I just don't think the song translates well live.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2020 on: November 13, 2016, 02:56:05 PM »

Now who else here got the goosebumps during Space Dye Vest live? I was like oh crap I creamed my panties when John soloed over the outhru of Space dye Vest

Goosebumps? No, but that's, I think, when I turned it off. SDV is not an epic song, trying to make it one just misses the point that Kevin Moore had when he wrote it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2021 on: November 13, 2016, 03:37:25 PM »
I liked it. The live solo JP did was one of the best guitar solos I've ever heard. I feel like it's slightly altered on the official release. Anyone else feel that way? Rumbo??
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2022 on: November 13, 2016, 05:05:39 PM »
It's funny, I enjoy it more on the DVD.  It was so ear piercingly  loud that a lot of the song were hard to enjoy.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2023 on: November 13, 2016, 06:29:31 PM »
It was fucking loud, but Nick's boot is fantastic. And he captured JP's SDV solo perfectly.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2024 on: November 13, 2016, 06:32:42 PM »
Hell yeah.  You know why it was great?  He borrowed a hat from me to hold his microphone.   I was so tempted to make it a B's hat. :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2025 on: November 14, 2016, 09:01:52 AM »

Loved the guitar solo outtro.

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #2026 on: November 14, 2016, 11:50:15 PM »
Still my favorite live release of theirs. Fantastic. Looks fantastic. Sounds fantastic. Is fantastic.
Check out my various music projects - I’ve got concept albums, singer/songwriter, rock, metal, prog, and more coming soon:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #2027 on: November 15, 2016, 02:23:28 AM »

Goosebumps? No, but that's, I think, when I turned it off. SDV is not an epic song, trying to make it one just misses the point that Kevin Moore had when he wrote it.

You're right. I did not feel that mood I feel when I listen to the album version. With a song like that, it takes away from it. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2028 on: December 06, 2016, 04:11:55 PM »
So the discussion in the MM thread inspired me to watch Illumination Theory from BTFW. His drumming, though complex, is pretty accessible.

But I wanted to say this: I simply do not trust the "liveness" of this release. Did I actually hear a harmonized guitar bit? And damn is the orchestra distracting. Apparently they used the studio version for the middle piece, but does anyone know about the rest of the song?

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2029 on: December 06, 2016, 06:11:44 PM »
So the discussion in the MM thread inspired me to watch Illumination Theory from BTFW. His drumming, though complex, is pretty accessible.

But I wanted to say this: I simply do not trust the "liveness" of this release. Did I actually hear a harmonized guitar bit? And damn is the orchestra distracting. Apparently they used the studio version for the middle piece, but does anyone know about the rest of the song?

Well, for the harmonized guitar he may be using a harmonizer pedal. Or just a backing track.
fanticide.bandcamp.com