Author Topic: New Live Release: BREAKING THE FOURTH WALL discussion thread  (Read 218556 times)

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
Re: New Live Release: BREAKING THE FOURTH WALL discussion thread
« Reply #1820 on: October 30, 2014, 05:52:10 AM »
Yeah I really, really like this release. Not to be pissy, but Live at  Luna Park was such a dissapointment, soundwise. 
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Jinx

• The Unicyclist's #1 fan!
  • Shaaaamaan take my haaaannd!!
« Reply #1821 on: October 30, 2014, 08:26:09 AM »
So does anyone know whats up with MM during IT? Just after the "Grace before glory" it cuts to him during that first keyboard/drums part and he shakes his head and looks pissed off. Did he mess it up? I cant hear a mistake of he does!

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1822 on: October 30, 2014, 10:09:32 AM »
I only have 4 complaints about this release.  Illumination Theory, Enigma Machine, Along For The Ride, and JLB talking too much.  Everything else is nothing short of awesome.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1823 on: October 30, 2014, 10:17:43 AM »
I only have 4 complaints about this release.  Illumination Theory, Enigma Machine, Along For The Ride, and JLB talking too much.  Everything else is nothing short of awesome.

JLB talking to much? They cut out like 80% of the jibba jabba.

This live version of Enigma Machine actually opened my eyes to it. I didn't really care for it previously.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1824 on: October 30, 2014, 10:59:12 AM »
Wow, really?  Well, the 20% they left in is still too much.  As far as EM goes, never liked it and the live version still doesn't do anything for me.  Behind The Veil is my fav and they didn't even play it.  :\   When it comes to DT albums, 12 just isn't my luck number.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline perfey

• Stiletto in the sand
« Reply #1825 on: October 30, 2014, 11:52:11 AM »
Really good DVD, watched the last part of it yesterday. Really liked the atmosphere, the setlist, the choir and the audience seemed to be into it.

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
« Reply #1826 on: October 30, 2014, 02:33:19 PM »

This live version of Enigma Machine actually opened my eyes to it. I didn't really care for it previously.

I think maybe he meant talking during the song. I also think he says "let me hear you Boston" and such WAY too much. Not a huge problem I guess though. Thought the same thing on LALP.

And re: Enigma Machine, you are incorrect*
*source: BTFW DVD/Blu-Ray

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1827 on: November 01, 2014, 03:46:29 AM »
I finally got the new DVD and I'm loving every minute of it.  :heart

Offline Jinx

• The Unicyclist's #1 fan!
  • Shaaaamaan take my haaaannd!!
« Reply #1828 on: November 01, 2014, 04:06:34 PM »

I think maybe he meant talking during the song. I also think he says "let me hear you Boston" and such WAY too much. Not a huge problem I guess though. Thought the same thing on LALP.

And re: Enigma Machine, you are incorrect*
*source: BTFW DVD/Blu-Ray

That whole "let me hear you Boston" thing only bothers me because its seemingly met with nothing. Obviously not the case live but still... same with the Luna Park DVD

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1829 on: November 01, 2014, 05:16:46 PM »
I can agree with that part, it is weird to not hear a reaction.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1830 on: November 01, 2014, 08:00:05 PM »
I was there.  There was no shortage of us screaming.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1831 on: November 01, 2014, 08:16:52 PM »
Oh yeah, we screamed our lungs out. The lack of reaction is a mixing issue, not an audience issue.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Grizz

« Reply #1832 on: November 01, 2014, 08:31:28 PM »
Probably has to do with too much of the band bleeding in because the volume is too damn high
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1833 on: November 01, 2014, 08:33:43 PM »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1834 on: November 02, 2014, 04:41:49 AM »
Yea I don't doubt the audience reacted, just can't hear it. Same with Luna Park, you can see the audience react but can't hear it. Pretty minor but kind of odd considering the crowd is a large part of what makes love concerts unique IMO.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #1835 on: November 02, 2014, 05:59:39 AM »
Yea I don't doubt the audience reacted, just can't hear it. Same with Luna Park, you can see the audience react but can't hear it. Pretty minor but kind of odd considering the crowd is a large part of what makes love concerts unique IMO.

LOVE concerts? What a treat! ::)

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1836 on: November 02, 2014, 06:58:39 AM »
I love me some love concerts  :lol

Offline olliemedsy

« Reply #1837 on: November 02, 2014, 03:13:19 PM »
I'm not sure if this has been discussed yet, but upon watch Breaking the fourth wall today, I noticed during JP's guitar solo in Breaking all Illusions that the drums audio and video don't match up at 8:14. Does anyone have any information on the editing of this DVD?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCwj0ndqeUE
Modify message

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1838 on: November 02, 2014, 03:16:52 PM »
Certain parts were patched and rerecorded for the DVD, yeah.

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #1839 on: November 02, 2014, 04:35:51 PM »
Yea didn't notice that one. Looks like it was overdubbed for just a second there.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #1840 on: November 02, 2014, 05:21:21 PM »
That time stamp appears to be in sync to me.  I'd be very curious to listen to a boot of this show at some point.  As far as dubs are concerned, I think they did a great job of maintaining a fluid live feel through out the DVD.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #1841 on: November 02, 2014, 06:33:35 PM »
Watched it around 8 times. What exactly appears out of sync? The left hand hitting the snare softly? Because I can hear the hit.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #1842 on: November 02, 2014, 06:52:28 PM »
Is the HD Tracks version that different from the audio of the Blu-Ray? My primary experience is with the HD Tracks FLAC files, which is in my mobile phone and computer, and I don't really experience any of the complaints (JM inaudible, bass drums not audible, orchestra not audible, audience not reacting when JLB says "Hello, Boston!"). I use in-ear phones, so I guess that boosts the bass sound.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #1843 on: November 02, 2014, 07:16:34 PM »
There's an interesting one in Trial of Tears. At the end of the "Hidden by disguise" section he does those huge drum fills. At the very end, when he rolls down the toms, two of his hits don't register. Now, he either hit the air on purpose/for some reason they didn't record/they overdubbed that part. (7:55 if you watch it on YouTube)
« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 07:27:51 PM by Sycsa »

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1844 on: November 02, 2014, 07:23:34 PM »
There's an interesting one in Trial of Tears. At the end of the "Hidden by disguise" section he does those huge drum fills. At the very end, when he rolls down the toms he two of his hits don't register. Now, he either hit the air on purpose/for some reason they didn't record/they overdubbed that part. (7:55 if you watch it on YouTube)

I didn't spot that one before. I don't think he's air hitting, I think he's definitely hitting them hard. I don't know why they wouldn't register though.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1845 on: November 02, 2014, 07:30:31 PM »
Not that I want to start rumors, but I always viewed those "they just overdubbed those 5 seconds" statements with a little bit of suspicion. I have a bit the suspicion that when they decided to overdub, they overdubbed more than that, to keep the sound consistent.

Offline Grizz

« Reply #1846 on: November 02, 2014, 08:05:08 PM »
Sound consistency? For all we know the recording is direct from JP's guitar and pre-amped later, in which case overdubbing is easy.
I wouldn't doubt it now that I think about it.
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1847 on: November 02, 2014, 08:11:41 PM »
You don't just tee off the guitar input and then pre-amp it later in the studio. Because there's a whole daisy chain of effects that were activated live that you'd be missing (and thus having to recreate).
For the recording of the DVD they will have taken the same signal that went to the PA. And matching that without the punch-in being too obvious is not that easy.
Also, if you have ever compared the soundboard recording of the ACOS EP covers with the CD version, you know that DT, when they overdub, can overdub quite extensively.

Offline Grizz

« Reply #1848 on: November 02, 2014, 08:47:21 PM »
When you say same signal that went to the PA you mean went to the board right?
The signal chain goes something like this, right? And the recording would be between mic and board?

Guitar -> Axe/Other FX -> Triaxis -> Recto cab -> Microphone -> Board -> EQ/other FX -> PA -> Speakers

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #1849 on: November 02, 2014, 10:39:18 PM »
At exactly 8:17 you hear a ride and see him hitting a crash.

JP also bends the very last note of the solo, and it doesn't match the audio. That whole last fast scale up could be overdubbed. It's way too fast to be able to see if the notes match up. But the last note is visibly overdubbed because of that bend and the picking (he picks like 10 times and you only hear about 4).

Didn't notice any of that until now, though.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #1850 on: November 03, 2014, 12:28:36 AM »
But he did hit a crash in 8:17 with his left hand. Maybe you are referrign to the right hand crash hit in 8:18? :p

I am having fun watching the YT videos at the 0.5 speed to check this stuff out? LOL

Offline In The Name Of Rudess

« Reply #1851 on: November 03, 2014, 12:39:51 AM »
At exactly 8:17 you hear a ride and see him hitting a crash.

JP also bends the very last note of the solo, and it doesn't match the audio. That whole last fast scale up could be overdubbed. It's way too fast to be able to see if the notes match up. But the last note is visibly overdubbed because of that bend and the picking (he picks like 10 times and you only hear about 4).

Didn't notice any of that until now, though.

About that last scale, you can actually see Jordan cringing a bit there in the background. In the Sonisphere video of TEI where JP misses a bunch of notes in the solo Jordan has that look too.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #1852 on: November 03, 2014, 03:13:26 AM »
At exactly 0:01 I sat back and let the show kick my ass.

I don't know how some of you guys can even enjoy the music at all when you're so busy nit-picking everything.

Yes, "we wouldn't be prog fans if we didn't" and "welcome to the Dream Theater Forums" and all that noise but, man, seriously.

:facepalm:

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #1853 on: November 03, 2014, 03:30:51 AM »
I immensely enjoyed every minute of this release and, precisely for that reason, I watch it a lot. After multiple viewings, these things just pop into your eyes, especially if they're related to drums or vocals, as it's very obvious if something doesn't sync up there. You don't have to be nitpicky, if you're immersed, attentive and know what's going on, you'll spot these involuntarily.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1854 on: November 03, 2014, 05:09:11 AM »
At exactly 0:01 I sat back and let the show kick my ass.

I don't know how some of you guys can even enjoy the music at all when you're so busy nit-picking everything.

Yes, "we wouldn't be prog fans if we didn't" and "welcome to the Dream Theater Forums" and all that noise but, man, seriously.

:facepalm:

Personally the "ignorance is bliss" attitude disturbs me, as if noticing details is a negative thing, because I don't see it as a bad thing at all. Just because we notice something, doesn't mean we're not enjoying the hell out of it at the same time!
It's just being observant, and for me it's an extra level to the experience to enjoy. I love noticing all of these little details, and appreciating that these are real people doing their best to give us something great. It's like "Where's Wally (or Waldo for the Americans)" for your TV! :biggrin:
I could point out little things like this on all of DT's DVDs. It doesn't make me enjoy it any less, it just gives me one more unique thing to discuss and share with other fans.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.