Author Topic: New Live Release: BREAKING THE FOURTH WALL discussion thread  (Read 218548 times)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Re: New Live Release: BREAKING THE FOURTH WALL discussion thread
« Reply #1750 on: October 19, 2014, 10:02:43 PM »
Unless Mark Twain did an SNL skit making fun of Trekkies, I'm pretty sure the Shatner attribution is correct.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1751 on: October 20, 2014, 12:37:27 AM »
Unless Mark Twain did an SNL skit making fun of Trekkies, I'm pretty sure the Shatner attribution is correct.

Mark Twain, Abraham Lincoln, SAME THING!

Offline Nefarius

• Named Nefarius since before it was cool.
« Reply #1752 on: October 20, 2014, 05:00:36 AM »
Bought the BluRay and watched it.

Good:
+ overall very nice to look at
+ nice and detailled drum sound
+ present keyboards

Bad:
- massive overcompression
- buried vocals and orchestra
- almost inaudible choir
- overall very strange EQ choices
- weakly balanced guitar tone under three layers of blankets

It's a lot like a live DT show standing right next to some bass and midrange speakers.
You're pretty close to the action but it's exhausting and you're drowning in muddy tone.

All in all a huge waste of having an orchestra and a choir. :sadpanda:

Greetings...
Nef

Offline sylvinception

• His name is Tyler Durden.
« Reply #1753 on: October 20, 2014, 07:12:13 AM »
The more I watch the blu ray, the more I think that the live version of "Space-Dye Vest" is the one of the most beautiful things performed live by DT so far.  :chill :chill :chill

Back to this set list, without any song from "Images & Words"... How many bands can afford to let such a "classic album" beside, while still being able to deliver such a killer show ??
This tells you a lot about their genius. :hefdaddy

Ps : Expect to see and hear I&W performed ENTIRELY during the next tour. :metal :corn :tup
OH MY GOD, I'M WATCHED!!!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1754 on: October 20, 2014, 08:31:40 AM »
Expect to see and hear I&W performed ENTIRELY during the next tour. :metal :corn :tup
Why?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1755 on: October 20, 2014, 08:34:35 AM »
I would expect to see the normal I&W song usage next tour.  I dont see any reason for them to play most or all of it.  Also will depend on whether they do the Evening With format for the next tour.  I do expect the other DT12 songs though.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #1756 on: October 20, 2014, 09:13:34 AM »
 At least The Bigger Picture should be played on the next tour, considering the amount of praise it got when DT12 was released.

Offline sylvinception

• His name is Tyler Durden.
« Reply #1757 on: October 20, 2014, 09:35:17 AM »
Expect to see and hear I&W performed ENTIRELY during the next tour. :metal :corn :tup
Why?

Just a feeling. ;D
OH MY GOD, I'M WATCHED!!!

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1758 on: October 20, 2014, 11:49:55 AM »
I would think FII will have some more prominence the next tour.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1759 on: October 20, 2014, 11:58:28 AM »
I am holding out hope for a return of Hell's Kitchen.  And pairing it up with Lines in the Sand would be amazing.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1760 on: October 20, 2014, 12:12:45 PM »
I am holding out hope for a return of Hell's Kitchen.  And pairing it up with Lines in the Sand would be amazing.

Yea that would be really awesome.  If they do that, DT better be ready for another live release. 

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #1761 on: October 20, 2014, 01:31:36 PM »
I think that if they start touring in 2015 before the new album comes out like they did with ADToE, they might celebrate ACoS and Octavarium (album) as it would have been 20 and 10 years since they respectively came out. Just pure speculation though.

Offline Grizz

« Reply #1762 on: October 20, 2014, 02:24:50 PM »
"This year we're celebrating the anniversary of one of our fan favorites! Could it be that epic from 2005? What about 1995? Or perhaps that amazing tour from 2000?" (Crowd going nuts.) "That's right! The song whose anniversary we're celebrating is... RAW DOG! Yup, released five years ago and can you believe we never played it live?!? And, for this single song, we have a special treat. Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome, back for one last song, Mike Portnoy and Kevin Moore!"
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #1763 on: October 20, 2014, 03:34:57 PM »
Why?

Just a feeling. ;D
A Change of Seasons seems like a safe bet. The only song I wish they'd dig out from I&W is Take the Time.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #1764 on: October 20, 2014, 05:55:27 PM »
"This year we're celebrating the anniversary of one of our fan favorites! Could it be that epic from 2005? What about 1995? Or perhaps that amazing tour from 2000?" (Crowd going nuts.) "That's right! The song whose anniversary we're celebrating is... RAW DOG! Yup, released five years ago and can you believe we never played it live?!? And, for this single song, we have a special treat. Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome, back for one last song, Mike Portnoy and Kevin Moore!"

:rollin

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #1765 on: October 20, 2014, 06:06:49 PM »
Remember when some people were making a fuss about JR making a mistake in his solo in the studio version of AFTR, that is, his first note came in late? I find it funny that that is how JR played it in this live version. Maybe it was not a mistake after all. :p

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #1766 on: October 20, 2014, 06:10:08 PM »
I noticed that too! Totally not a mistake. ;)

Offline sfam2112

• "Oops!" Insurance Salesman
« Reply #1767 on: October 20, 2014, 06:38:29 PM »

I like you.  :tup
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/tommybrittmusic

"I love to rock. I love to rock hard. I love hard rockin'! I LIKE TO ROCK!! I LOVE TO ROCK!!!!" - Colin Mochrie

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #1768 on: October 20, 2014, 06:42:18 PM »
Remember when some people were making a fuss about JR making a mistake in his solo in the studio version of AFTR, that is, his first note came in late? I find it funny that that is how JR played it in this live version. Maybe it was not a mistake after all. :p
My impression always was that it wasn't a mistake and it wasn't late, since he hit the note right on the beat, only it needed to slide up (simulating a Minimoog) from a low, barely audible note, thus it felt like it was late.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #1769 on: October 20, 2014, 09:24:03 PM »
Man im getting old. 10 years on Octovarium next year, That's nuts. Then again I can remember seeing them in 1988 so;;;;;;;;;;;; yeah im old lol

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #1770 on: October 21, 2014, 01:51:12 AM »
My impression always was that it wasn't a mistake and it wasn't late, since he hit the note right on the beat, only it needed to slide up (simulating a Minimoog) from a low, barely audible note, thus it felt like it was late.

You should see how it was used as a poster child for bad production in one of the threads here. :p

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #1771 on: October 21, 2014, 03:14:57 AM »

I like the way it comes in after the beat, very proggy.
Still can't believe how many people on a prog forum complain about it :lol

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #1772 on: October 21, 2014, 05:52:42 AM »

That'd be pretty cool.
Though I still say they need to bust out You Not Me!
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1773 on: October 21, 2014, 09:01:09 AM »
Plus, Rudess' keytar looks cool.

It looks like a toy my kids would play with.
I have no problem with it in principle, it just looks shit and tacky. It would be like seeing JP play one of those death metal pointy BC Riches.

Offline the-glass-prison

« Reply #1774 on: October 23, 2014, 06:30:20 AM »
Finally got round to watching it. I'm going to watch it again on the laptop as I've noticed a few saying the sound quality is so much better. My only moan is that I feel that sometimes J P guitar isn't loud enough on some of the songs. Anyone else agree?

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1775 on: October 23, 2014, 09:14:02 AM »
Finally got round to watching it. I'm going to watch it again on the laptop as I've noticed a few saying the sound quality is so much better. My only moan is that I feel that sometimes J P guitar isn't loud enough on some of the songs. Anyone else agree?
We already got a Live at Luna Park for a loud JP  :lol
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1776 on: October 23, 2014, 09:15:31 AM »
I think it's refreshing to have a release where the guitars don't overwhelm the mix. The mix on BTFW is their best of the MM era.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline FlashCE

« Reply #1777 on: October 25, 2014, 12:15:42 AM »
I want to listen to this but I don't have a DVD player, having a MacBook and all lol.

It's also not on iTunes.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #1778 on: October 25, 2014, 01:11:42 AM »
you might want to try HDTracks, with the Mac compatible formats.

Offline changing_seasons

« Reply #1779 on: October 25, 2014, 06:01:29 PM »
I still can't believe what JP played in the second half of the first solo in Lie. I never thought I would say these words, but he totally ruined it for me. He took what was an interesting and totally unpredictable guitar line and turned it into a plain and boring scale run. For a couple of seconds, you wouldn't be crazy thinking Kirk Hammett was suddenly playing with Dream Theater. I kinda hope he forgot the actual solo and just had to make something up on the spot. The rest of the show is pretty awesome though!
Tell about my brother
Tell them about me
The Count of Tuscany

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #1780 on: October 25, 2014, 07:24:17 PM »
I still can't believe what JP played in the second half of the first solo in Lie. I never thought I would say these words, but he totally ruined it for me. He took what was an interesting and totally unpredictable guitar line and turned it into a plain and boring scale run. For a couple of seconds, you wouldn't be crazy thinking Kirk Hammett was suddenly playing with Dream Theater. I kinda hope he forgot the actual solo and just had to make something up on the spot. The rest of the show is pretty awesome though!

Are you kidding me? I thought the Lie solo was flawless. Not as in a perfect replica, but one of JPs best moments in the show. He completely kicks arse during that solo and has it down so tight, very intense and very impressive.

I think it's refreshing to have a release where the guitars don't overwhelm the mix. The mix on BTFW is their best of the MM era.

I completely agree. I liked the balance here, but despite this, I still found there were a few moments where I really felt the guitar needed to be cranked just a tad. I can't even remember specifically, just a few moments where the music focuses on the guitar for a passage or riff, I felt like the guitars didn't punch through effectively enough. I don't know what the solution to this would be other that occasionally changing the eq of the mix, which could get messy. But I can sacrifice a few guitar moments to actually hear JR the entire time.  :)

Offline changing_seasons

« Reply #1781 on: October 25, 2014, 07:53:23 PM »
Are you kidding me? I thought the Lie solo was flawless. Not as in a perfect replica, but one of JPs best moments in the show. He completely kicks arse during that solo and has it down so tight, very intense and very impressive.

No, but see, I don't find playing fast notes up a Bm scale to be particularly impressive. I guess I'm just disappointed because he started playing the solo like it's supposed to be played, but then didn't finish it correctly. It's not like he doesn't usually play stuff like it is on the albums, so I didn't expect that ending at all. It is one of my favorite solos as well.  :sadpanda:
Tell about my brother
Tell them about me
The Count of Tuscany

Offline FlashCE

« Reply #1782 on: October 26, 2014, 04:16:07 AM »

I want to watch them play.

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #1783 on: October 26, 2014, 06:13:29 AM »

I want to watch them play.

Get an external BluRay drive.

Online fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1784 on: October 26, 2014, 12:57:11 PM »
Whatever they play from I&W next tour, it better not be Pull Me Under, Surrounded or Metropolis.....I personally am really burnt out on those songs.