Author Topic: DREAM THEATER Unveils Career-Spanning Box Set: 'The Studio Albums 1992-2011'  (Read 14219 times)

Offline Invisible

I only have I&W and Awake, since I only became sort of "hardcore" fan the last eight months or so, so if I have the chance maybe I'll grab it, if they send it down here anyway, that is. ::) Too bad they didn't release it earlier, it would've been a good gift to one of my friends who got me into them but doesn't have most of the albums either.

So no, I don't think it's a 100% pointless release, not all fans are longtime hardcore fans and sometimes it can be tricky to find all the albums(the stores I've checked only had a few of them). I do agree that it would've been miles better with Cleaning Out The Closet, one of my favorites and probably the one I listened to the most. :lol

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
While I understand why they couldn't put WDADU on it, I absolutely don't get why they would leave out ACOS. Just because it's an EP doesn't make it any less of a studio recording. I can see some RR intern not really caring and just leaving it off because it's an EP.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline The Dark Master

• Veteran of the Psychic Wars
This should have had another disc with ACOS (just the song) and Cleaning Out The Closet.  If it had that, then it really would have been a definitive box set worth the release.  As is, it's just a "get all the albums at once" thing, which, while cool for people just getting into the band, doesn't really have anything to appeal to someone who has been a fan for years.

Offline mioist

Overall an essential set. I would buy it if the albums weren't presented in cheap cardboard sleeves with no booklets at all, which is exactly what the pictures of the set imply at this time. I have Images and Words, Octavarium, Black Clouds and Silver Linings (deluxe 3cd edition) and Dream Theater 2013 (deluxe 2cd edition). Getting the rest in one go would have been nice but I want jewel cases with proper booklets at least.

Offline Rodni Demental

Wait no booklets? How are we supposed to understand certain parts of Awake?

Offline billybobjoe1881

Were we ever supposed to understand Awake?

Offline Invisible

Just search What DId James say on Youtube. :biggrin:

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
I can confirm there are no bonus features of any kind.

I don't suppose you can confirm that some of the albums have been remixed and remastered...

Honestly though, I already have all the albums in question... Buuut, I might buy this, just for collection's sake. Then I won't have to worry about wearing down my CDs or anything.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran

Spiderman has like a million comics.  Just pick one up.  It's all there.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus

This.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 10:17:48 AM by hefdaddy42 »
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Depending on the cost I may pick it up despite already having all of these. Because, I'd like to have some 'prestine' copies....mine are used and abused.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand

This.

Quote fail.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 10:18:28 AM by hefdaddy42 »

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Not sure what you mean.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
:lol It's good to be king.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
I feel violated.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
:lol It's good to be king.
:biggrin:

I feel violated.
Don't worry, I used protection.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
This sounds like just a record company thing.  The band may have nothing to do with it.  They certainly haven't said anything about it beforehand.

Bingo.

I don't think the band had any say in this at all.

Also wouldn't surprise me that there are no lyrics to be found.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
Just now hearing of this. Out of this style of box sets, I own Green Day's and Deep Purple's, so it's cool to see DT getting one. These aren't the "all-out" box sets with bonus tracks like, say, Satriani's or BOC or that, they're just very basic. It's really only good for getting studio albums really quick. No lyric booklets or anything, just slipcase covers of each album with the disc inside. Lots of bands get these.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 04:49:17 PM by Nel »
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
Well, they posted it on their facebook, so I guess it's officially official.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
I almost bought the Green Day one when it was first issued as it was going for £12 !!!

Offline Grizz

Well, they posted it on their facebook, so I guess it's officially official.
And they, once again, said that these are the first ten albums.
Where's that damn RRPR guy?
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Kinda weird to see the PR machinery being so removed from the actual band.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
I almost bought the Green Day one when it was first issued as it was going for £12 !!!

It was actually a Best Buy exclusive over here, and came out in celebration of the trilogy. I think it actually came out the same day as Dos! too. I bought it, Uno!, and Dos! that day, so I pretty much got GD's complete discography that day. Tre! was the following month.

And that's my off-topic post. >_>
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
In response to the thread title, so THIS is what was behind the veil. :neverusethis:

Offline Virtualman64

Wouldn't buy it unless there were extras like all the lyrics,or a booklet.I guess that would be to much to ask.

Offline goo-goo

Since apparently As I Am was remastered on the Greatest Hit(s) album, does it sound better? Haven't heard it myself.

Would ToT need a remaster?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
Since apparently As I Am was remastered on the Greatest Hit(s) album, does it sound better? Haven't heard it myself.

Would ToT need a remaster?

The difference is pretty minor, maybe just a shade more dynamic. The main point of remastering a compilation is so the volume of the songs is consistent across the board, since older albums usually sound softer than more recent ones.

Offline Rodni Demental

I'm fairly sure the only difference is the censored swears, and the lack of string fade in after the string fade out from SDOIT. It just starts with the Bass guitar riff. Much like how the Octavarium tracks don't have the overtone transitions at the beginning or end because they're not transitioning to another song up the octave. Can't say I've compared the As I Am waveforms though, maybe it is a bit different to the Train of Thought version. But not noticeable enough to consider remastering old albums in a similar style. Apart from perhaps the I&W tracks, but I didn't see any demand for people to remix I&W after Greatest Hit came out either.  :lol

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
it's a dB or two less loud, but just as compressed. the only other unmentioned difference is that the ending fades out instead of feeding back and stopping with the cymbal rush.

Offline Skeever

Hmm....

I guess as someone who already has all there albums, is there any reason to buy this....?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
Hmm....

I guess as someone who already has all there albums, is there any reason to buy this....?

As far as we know, no. Unless there's something they haven't announced, it just seems to be the regular albums in a new package.

Love the avatar. :tup

Offline kanutaros

I hate to bump an old thread, but personally I'm kinda really interested in getting this, especially since my paycheck is coming through soon and I'd like some DT decoration for my room that I had just moved into.

Does anyone own this box set? I'm curious as to whether the CDs themselves have labels on them worth showing off, if not I'll find some way of hanging the sleeves.

Aside from the decorative value, I only own SDOIT, WDADU, DT, BCSL, ACOS and SFAM so there's more new material for me to listen to, and I've heard and liked various songs from these unlistened albums (Just heard I&W properly for the first time and I love Another Day) so I think for the price it's pretty appealing to someone like me.

I just wish there was more unreleased/demo content much like Megadeth's Warchest set (absolutely baller release) but I'm still down for this.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
You already own 6 out of the 10 albums in question, and thus find paying $65 for 4 new albums without any artwork a good deal?

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
It's 6 new albums. Neither WDADU nor ACOS are included in the boxset, and 65$ for 6 albums... well, I'm not sure on album prices in the States, but that does sound at least closer to reasonable.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Sir Walrus Cauliflower

That's definitely reasonable from what I've seen, plus you still have other albums that you can loan or sell or keep for the hell of it. Sounds like a pretty good deal.
I feel strangely honored to be following up a post from Sir Walrus Cauliflower.