Author Topic: DREAM THEATER Unveils Career-Spanning Box Set: 'The Studio Albums 1992-2011'  (Read 14220 times)

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/dream-theater-unveils-career-spanning-box-set-the-studio-albums-1992-2011/

Ok, this release is pointless if you've got all the albums already, but it might be a good introduction for new fans, depending on how much money they're willing to spend. One thing I'm curious about is how RR got the rights to include the pre-SC albums in the set.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
"The Studio Albums 1992-2011" collects the first 10 studio albums from DREAM THEATER's groundbreaking two-decade-plus career, from 1992's RIAA gold-certified classic "Images And Words"..........

I approve of this. :hat
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Weymolith

• THIS IS NOT HERE
  • Moderator Emeritus
RoadRunner is owned by Warner Music Group which also owns Atlantic Records and Elektra Records, so all Dream Theater albums (with the exception of WD&DU) are owned by Warner Music.
As a general rule, never play with boxes that open portals to Hell.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
RoadRunner is owned by Warner Music Group which also owns Atlantic Records and Elektra Records, so all Dream Theater albums (with the exception of WD&DU) are owned by Warner Music.
Hmm... I didn't realize that. Thanks to Wey for the facts!

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
Already have all the albums, its cool though I guess.

Offline aprilethereal

Kind of weird to only include these 10. I can see why DT12 was left out, as most people who might be interested in the box probably already own it since it's DT's most recent album and came out not too long ago, so if someone got into the band through DT12, they wouldn't   want to"rebuy" it. But why leave out WDADU?

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
No bonus tracks or anything? Even Century Media included bonus tracks with their cash grab Iced Earth discography box set.

Online evz

I can only hope this leads to more HDtracks releases :)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Kind of weird to only include these 10. I can see why DT12 was left out, as most people who might be interested in the box probably already own it since it's DT's most recent album and came out not too long ago, so if someone got into the band through DT12, they wouldn't   want to"rebuy" it. But why leave out WDADU?

Because they don't have the rights to the album.

I could think of plenty of other reasons, but that's the first one, so I'll stop there. :lol
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline The Letter M

Had this included "A Change Of Seasons" with all the B-Sides from Cleaning Out The Closet, as well as "Raw Dog", ALL on a separate disc (B-Sides & Non-Album Tracks), it would've totally been worth getting all the albums again.

It'd be a great incentive to new fans who don't have the stuff yet, but also a good reason for existing fans to buy them all again, especially since tracks like "The Way It Used To Be" and "Don't Look Past Me" have never been available to the general retail public.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
No bonus tracks or anything? Even Century Media included bonus tracks with their cash grab Iced Earth discography box set.

We don't know that there aren't bonus tracks.  It doesn't look like there will be, but it's possible. 

But honestly, what else is out there that hasn't been released in some form already?  Not much.  I mean, they could throw in a few live tracks that are not on official releases, but in terms of extra studio stuff, there really isn't much else out there.  They would have had to record something just for this release.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand

Offline lithium112

Cool I guess, but I don't see too many people buying this. With that many records, I think there's a very small number of fans that don't already have one or more of the CDs, and are also willing to buy ALL the albums at the same time.

Offline ethebubbeth

SO MUCH THIS!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus

SO MUCH THIS!

???  This has nothing to do with HDtracks, so I don't see the connection you are making.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Anguyen92

Hmmmm, box sets are tricky to work with.  I mean something like this could be tailor made for a fan like me, who's been a fan for less than a year, but it's something that I don't want to spend a lot of money at once on.  In these day and ages, people are more careful to not spend a lot of money at once in something like music, so I can't imagine this tailoring to casual rock fans unless it is promoted really well.

Also, WDADU was released from the record label that Universal Music Group bought or something like that?  Is that why that album is not included?

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Good for them, but I don't see myself buying this, since I already have all of it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Also, WDADU was released from the record label that Universal Music Group bought or something like that?  Is that why that album is not included?

As Blob mentioned above, it is owned by another label, and neither DT nor RR have the rights to it.

Offline emtee

Probably going to be a tough sell as a large % of DT fans have all the albums already. Not all but many.

If they would/could have included something like WDaDU re-recorded in studio with JLB, or some other uber special
incentive I would jump on it.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Yeah, this seems like a bizarre thing to release, since, like has been said, most fans probably already have some or all of the albums already. 

Plus, given that Roadrunner is notorious for compressing albums (notice DT's problem with that really took off once they signed with them), I wouldn't be surprised if they "remastered" the 90s albums to sound more modern, aka louder and not as good.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni

SO MUCH THIS!

???  This has nothing to do with HDtracks, so I don't see the connection you are making.

Well the fact that they are able rerelease these albums says the it's not impossible for them to also be on HDTracks. Before it wasn't so clear since they only released the RR albums.

Offline Weymolith

• THIS IS NOT HERE
  • Moderator Emeritus

We don't know that there aren't bonus tracks.  It doesn't look like there will be, but it's possible. 

I can confirm there are no bonus features of any kind.
As a general rule, never play with boxes that open portals to Hell.

Online evz

SO MUCH THIS!

Well the fact that they are able rerelease these albums says the it's not impossible for them to also be on HDTracks. Before it wasn't so clear since they only released the RR albums.

what he said :)

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
This is a release which is not going to sell much. Too bad they didn't include anything special. Something new recorded/rerecorded material there could have sold much better.
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
This is a release which is not going to sell much. Too bad they didn't include anything special. Something new recorded/rerecorded material there could have sold much better.

It should have been like Joe Satriani's "box set"

Except DT could have done Jordan's Wizard hat or something rad.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
I think this release is meant for new fans who don't own any DT albums yet. In fact, I'd be pissed off if there was a disc of rarities included, because I wouldn't want to buy a box set just to get those songs.

Online RaiseTheKnife

Well Noobs, this one is for you.  Nothing here for us vets, which is strange as DT usually offer something extraordinary as we not just ordinary fans.   Doesn't even have a nice booklet of pictures. Would I buy a box set for a disc of rarities.  The answer is YES. 

I wonder if the band's support is really behind this rather ordinary release.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
I don't know...I can think of a few people I'd get this for if the price is right.

For example: My youngest daughter just got engaged and her fiance seems really interested in my music collection and has borrowed my DVD of Live at Luna Park to get a feel for what DT is all about. He was blown away and wants to hear more. Now because he's young and poor it would be really fun for me to buy this for him as a birthday or christmas present.

But yeah, probably a pretty limited market unless they picked up a great deal of new fans since the release of DT12.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline son_ov_hades

If this had a vinyl version I'd buy it in a heartbeat, even though I already have all the records(and multiple pressings of a few). I can imagine a few obsessive collectors will buy this.
"Ok, these guys are only catering to the hardcore fanbase that already bought the $8000 meet and greet package complete with signed LaBrie eye patch"

Offline Ħ

Because they don't have the rights to the album.

I could think of plenty of other reasons, but that's the first one, so I'll stop there. :lol

I strongly concur with your "other reasons." :lol

Speculation time - is DT making a statement about which of their albums count as "official"? I certainly hope so. Even not, I'll choose to see it that way anyway.  :angel:
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Pointless release.  Even if I was a new fan, I don't usually like these kind of box sets.  I like buying one of two albums at a time, getting into them and them building some anticipation and going out and buying another studio album or two until I have them all.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
It does feel rather underwhelming to have a box set without any special features whatsoever.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
I know why they can't include WDaDU, but it's so incredibly annoying to see them pretend the album doesn't exist.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
How weird and ironic.  Who's going to buy this?  Long time fans like myself already have everything.  New fans aren't going to shell out that kind of money for 10 albums, most of which they probably haven't heard at all.  Hmmm....underwhelming to say the least.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline The Letter M

"The Studio Albums 1992-2011" collects the first 10 studio albums from DREAM THEATER's groundbreaking two-decade-plus career, from 1992's RIAA (Recording Industry Association Of America) gold-certified classic "Images And Words" to 2011's Grammy Award-nominated milestone "A Dramatic Turn Of Events".
Read more at https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/dream-theater-unveils-career-spanning-box-set-the-studio-albums-1992-2011/#Y9VcDBIywqs8JEo7.99

"The Studio Albums 1992-2011" collects the first 10 studio albums from DREAM THEATER's groundbreaking two-decade-plus career

"The Studio Albums 1992-2011" collects the first 10 studio albums from DREAM THEATER

the first 10 studio albums from DREAM THEATER

the first 10 studio albums

the first 10

I guess Dream Theater's anniversary really starts at 1992, now. Whatcha gotta say about THAT, Pirate Captain James LaBrie?!  :lol :lol :lol

Seriously though, this is a HUGE middle-finger to When Dream And Day Unite, Charlie Dominici, and in some ways, also to Mike, both of whom helped form the first album with the Johns and Kevin Moore. Why make that statement? Is it just *easier* to say "the first 10 studio albums" than say "their 2nd studio album up to their 11th"??

Or just clarify and say "the first 10 studio albums with James LaBrie". Poorly written article is poorly written. >.<

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!