Author Topic: MP new interview "the 12 SS is completely my concept and my baby..."  (Read 48078 times)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: MP new interview "the 12 SS is completely my concept and my baby..."
« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2014, 02:56:35 PM »
The only thing I have to say is

This is why we won't ever see ACOS live ever again...unless they invite MP for a special show.
???
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2014, 03:06:02 PM »
I believe Jordan has said that "nothing" is off limits.

That makes me hopeful for finally seeing MTHIDDRITSS live!
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2014, 03:07:20 PM »
The only things I can see not getting played again would be TBOT and Repentance. The rest of the AA suite is fair game as well as ACOS (even though I just doubt it will be played anytime soon by DT... not because of MP but just because there is so much more that they haven't played.)
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2014, 04:07:22 PM »
If ACOS is not played on the next leg of this tour, it WILL be included after the next album is released. That is my prediction.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Sir Walrus Cauliflower

« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2014, 04:08:58 PM »
If ACOS is not played on the next leg of this tour, it WILL be included after the next album is released. That is my prediction.

I want you to be right so badly.
I feel strangely honored to be following up a post from Sir Walrus Cauliflower.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2014, 04:34:37 PM »
I agree with TAC. I think ACOS is just around the corner.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2014, 04:37:53 PM »

Absolutely. And if for nothing else, it's because the fans are beating this drum.  Although MP had this reputation for being in touch with the fans, this band IS paying attention.

Apparently the second US leg is after the Holidays, right? That means 2015. What year was ACOS released? Convenient, eh?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2014, 04:39:07 PM »
Every time MP refers to something as his "baby" I want to punch kittens. 

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2014, 04:42:42 PM »
^pretty much.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2014, 04:44:36 PM »
Really? It's how he talks. Why is it so annoying?

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #45 on: May 13, 2014, 05:20:34 PM »
Perhaps its because he makes it so personal.  It's almost a passive aggressive way of making his contributions supersede anybody elses. 

and then....

THE METAPHORS!!!

"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!" 

It gets old. 

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #46 on: May 13, 2014, 05:32:12 PM »
I'm pretty sure that JP took the lion's share in composing the songs anyway. I hope they'll be playing TGP together with TDS on the second leg instead of TSF.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #47 on: May 13, 2014, 05:36:30 PM »
Perhaps its because he makes it so personal.  It's almost a passive aggressive way of making his contributions supersede anybody elses. 

and then....

THE METAPHORS!!!

"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!" 

It gets old.

It never gets old if people twists the metaphors into something entertaining to read, regardless if it is true or not.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #48 on: May 13, 2014, 06:00:48 PM »
Good point.  It's a blessing in disguise. 

Offline Laughingplace56

« Reply #49 on: May 13, 2014, 07:34:12 PM »
Not playing the 12SS or ACoS would be the same thing as not playing anything from WDADU-Awake cuz KM left, or nothing from FII or ACoS cuz DS was let go, in my opinion. Personal value or not, they shouldn't be restricted to not palying certain songs just because an ex member who quit on their own wrote them. Not playing say TBoT out of respect is understandable (plus i don't see anyone begging for it live anyway), but I find it more respectful since they've never played it live, and that was a song MP insisted on not playing live for personal values. They've played ACoS over 100 times and TGp-TRoAE 50-150 times each. They never played TSF, but (I think?) only because they were waiting for DT11 to come out and play the entire 12SS as the second set, so that was fair game as well.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #50 on: May 13, 2014, 09:46:14 PM »

Absolutely. And if for nothing else, it's because the fans are beating this drum.  Although MP had this reputation for being in touch with the fans, this band IS paying attention.

Apparently the second US leg is after the Holidays, right? That means 2015. What year was ACOS released? Convenient, eh?

They may not even change the setlist at all. There have been other songs and albums that I would have considered a sure bet by this point, and have yet to transpire. Basically, I wouldn't place my bets on anything at this point.

And I just plain hope it doesn't happen anyway. They could do so much better with those 20+ minutes of set time. such as an intermission or drum solo
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #51 on: May 13, 2014, 09:57:51 PM »
The problem is that TGP is a fan favourite

:(
If The Shattered Fortress was played, I really think The Glass Prison will make a legendary return someday soon.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #52 on: May 13, 2014, 09:59:40 PM »
I'm pretty sure that JP took the lion's share in composing the songs anyway.

This is a big part of why, for me, it's hard to separate Dream Theater into pre and post MP eras the way MP himself seems to.  Obviously, he was in the band, so he'd feel that way, but...

I think especially after the last two albums, it's become very apparent how, even when MP was the leader of the band, JP was the primary driving force behind the band's music.  When MP talks about any part of DT being his baby, my immediate thought it that JP probably wrote most of it.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #53 on: May 13, 2014, 10:10:06 PM »
I do think John Petrucci has been and will always be Dream Theater's key element. There can be Dream Theater without Mike Portnoy, but there can't be Dream Theater without John Petrucci.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #54 on: May 13, 2014, 10:14:19 PM »
I do think John Petrucci has been and will always be Dream Theater's key element. There can be Dream Theater without Mike Portnoy, but there can't be Dream Theater without John Petrucci.

Bingo.  As a fan, I'd actually find it offputting if the other members continued under the name without him.  I hope I wouldn't be pedantic about it (because we know how sad it was when MP fans honestly hoped the band would dissolve), but I wouldn't like it.
Over and over again

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #55 on: May 13, 2014, 10:22:56 PM »

This is a good prediction, particularly A) the next tour isn't evening with and B) the new album doesn't close with a mega-epic.  ACOS is not only not off-limits, but its time has probably come.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #56 on: May 13, 2014, 10:34:21 PM »

and then....

THE METAPHORS!!!

It gets old.

:rollin :rollin :rollin

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: May 13, 2014, 10:36:03 PM »

This is a good prediction, particularly A) the next tour isn't evening with and B) the new album doesn't close with a mega-epic.  ACOS is not only not off-limits, but its time has probably come.

Apparently your copy of DT12 cuts off at track 8.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #58 on: May 13, 2014, 10:39:24 PM »
If I were DT I'd play the thing in its entirety at Sionosphere.....I think them and Winery Dogs are there at the same time....at least I recall reading that. I'd crank it up to 11 and nail every friggin' section. If  not there then somewhere because they did absolutely nothing wrong in that whole ordeal. The only thing they did was handle it in the best way possible and carry on. Those are DT songs.....not MP songs plain and simple and I'd make the point of playing them all just because I could.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline The Dark Master

• Veteran of the Psychic Wars
« Reply #59 on: May 13, 2014, 11:23:54 PM »
Well, I think Mike is pretty much spot on about all the Queensryche stuff, although he's way off on the Waters/Floyd comparison, both in reference to Tate/QR, and to himself/DT.

However, I agree with what gmillerdrake and others have said.  The 12 Step songs are Dream Theater songs, not Mike Portnoy songs.  He wrote the lyrics for them, yes, but the band wrote the music, as a collective.  Additionally, my understanding is that it has primarily always been Petrucci and whoever-the-keyboardist-was-at-the-moment who were the actual songwriters, and Mike's main songwriting contributions were lyrics, arrangements and concepts.  Mike certainly deserves a lot of credit for making DT what it was, and still is, but to act like he was the mastermind behind the band, even for certain specific songs, is ridiculous.

Furthermore, I always felt that MP's choosing not to play certain songs because they were too close to certain past members was a bit biased.  He wouldn't play Space-Dye Vest cause it was written entirely by Kevin Moore.... and yet they still played Wait For Sleep (music & lyrics by Moore) quite regularly throughout their careers, and had no problem playing other songs with Kevin's lyrics (including a certain Top 10 hit single).  Likewise, he didn't want to play Anna Lee after Derek left because it was very much a "Derek song", and yet, Mike and JP have both commented that Derek was the driving force behind writing Lines In The Sand, a song that was played many times after Derek left.  Why?  Because it's  MP's favorite song from FII.

Bottom line, if it's on a Dream Theater album, it's a Dream Theater song.  And Dream Theater has the right to play any song off a Dream Theater album.  Period.  Mike chose to leave the band.  He has no right to complain about what they can and cannot play.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 11:33:22 PM by The Dark Master »

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #60 on: May 13, 2014, 11:53:33 PM »
Holy crap :rollin
This is a good prediction, particularly A) the next tour isn't evening with
Who said that? ??? James said he likes this format more than touring with a support band, so I could see them continuing that way.
Furthermore, I always felt that MP's choosing not to play certain songs because they were too close to certain past members was a bit biased.  He wouldn't play Space-Dye Vest cause it was written entirely by Kevin Moore.... and yet they still played Wait For Sleep (music & lyrics by Moore) quite regularly throughout their careers, and had no problem playing other songs with Kevin's lyrics (including a certain Top 10 hit single).  Likewise, he didn't want to play Anna Lee after Derek left because it was very much a "Derek song", and yet, Mike and JP have both commented that Derek was the driving force behind writing Lines In The Sand, a song that was played many times after Derek left.  Why?  Because it's  MP's favorite song from FII.
I wholeheartedly agree.

Offline farsight

« Reply #61 on: May 14, 2014, 02:13:45 AM »
Oh whoa [3x]

You know you love me, I know you care
Just shout whenever, and I'll be there
You are my love, you are my heart
And we will never ever ever be apart

Are we an item? Girl, quit playing
We're just friends, what are you saying?
Say there's another and look right in my eyes
My first love broke my heart for the first time
And I was like...

Baby, baby, baby oooh
Like baby, baby, baby nooo
Like baby, baby, baby oooh
I thought you'd always be mine (mine)

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #62 on: May 14, 2014, 04:22:03 AM »
I'd kinda like to see someone asking Kevin about DT playing SDV now, but only because I'd hope for an answer more interesting than "well it's a Dream Theater song on a Dream Theater album". Dunno what exact interesting but plausible response it could be... maybe "I saw a video and it looks cool, good on them".

I asked JP if he heard any feedback from Kevin about DT playing SDV, and his response was "No.  None."

I would find it amusing if Kevin responded to a fans inquiry by chiming "oh yeah, I heard about that when the royalty checks started to arrive."  Just my hypothetical. 

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #63 on: May 14, 2014, 04:45:28 AM »
I would find it amusing if Kevin responded to a fans inquiry by chiming "oh yeah, I heard about that when the royalty checks started to arrive."  Just my hypothetical.
Future Blabbermouth headline:

"Former DREAM THEATER Bandmates Financed Kevin Moore's Medical Studies By Playing His Song Live"

(I know the royalties wouldn't be nearly big enough but... :lol)

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #64 on: May 14, 2014, 05:19:35 AM »
I don't see anything wrong with the stance he took here, although I don't buy his "I didn't think about it" line about getting the rights to the 12SS.  We are supposed to believe that someone as OCD, anal and detail-oriented as Mike Portnoy simply didn't think about trying to get the rights to "his concept and his baby" during the split?  No freaking way.  I just think his pride won't let him admit that quitting the band the way he did probably took away most of his leverage when it came to such demands.

Also, regarding the comments about Floyd, no way did Roger Waters get the last laugh.  Pink Floyd is retired, so it's not like they couldn't decide to tour tomorrow, even without Richard Wright, and not make more money that any of us could count.  They simply have chosen not to work since the mid 90s, except for the Live 8 one-off.  I mean, props to Waters for making boatloads of cash the last few years by being a nostalgia act, something Floyd never resorted to being, but let's have some perspective here, eh?

THIS.
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #65 on: May 14, 2014, 07:44:14 AM »

Totally agree, he always seems to phrase things and give himself more credit than he might deserve. Especially since....

JP is the driving force behind DT music, always has been and always will be.  Sure, MP penned the lyrics to the 12SS about something personal to him, but who wrote all those riffs, chord progressions, solos, melodys, etc...etc...?  JP and JR.  Do you see JP and JR calling pretty much all the DT music that has been composed since SFAM "their baby", nope you don't.  I can't even imagine JP speaking about a song a taking more credit than other members or even insinuating that he deserved more credit.  In fact, its the opposite, every time JP discusses songs and the writing process, he goes out of his way to credit the entire group and give everyone credit for contributing in the way they feel inspired or comfortable to contribute.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #66 on: May 14, 2014, 08:03:45 AM »
It's the same reason why big dogs bark far less than small dogs. They don't need to, their authority is tacitly understood.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: May 14, 2014, 08:09:31 AM »
In this article, he never claims he wrote the music, or denies anyone else in DT writing credit. He says the 12SS as a concept was his "baby", which makes perfect sense when you consider what the topic meant to him personally.
Come on, people. Everybody knows babies can have more than just one parent! :lol :marriageanalogy:

Slow news period, huh?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 08:15:14 AM by BlobVanDam »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #68 on: May 14, 2014, 08:16:40 AM »
Right, but while he didn't do it this time, he can sometimes word things in a way that make it seem like he did it all.  I remember him talking once about how he played the demo of The Best of Times (with him singing) at his father's funeral, which is a very touching thing, and added that it was a song that he wrote, but when you say, "a song that I wrote," the implication is that you wrote the music and the lyrics. 

To go back to rumborak's point, I've always found that a bizarre character trait of Mike Portnoy's.  Yes, he did a shit ton of stuff for the band over the years, and he was gonna damn sure let us all know that he did it all.  It's like if you are an actor who is always helping out various charities, yet feels the need to constantly publicize it: the satisfaction is in actually doing it, not in shouting to the world that you are doing it.  He would justify it as setting the facts straight, like if some fans online suggested that others might have done this or that, but it far too often came across as chest-pounding.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #69 on: May 14, 2014, 08:38:09 AM »
It's the same reason why big dogs bark far less than small dogs. They don't need to, their authority is tacitly understood.

It sounds dumb, but the fact there was zero power struggle within the band after MP left says a lot.
Over and over again