Author Topic: MP new interview "the 12 SS is completely my concept and my baby..."  (Read 48235 times)

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
Re: MP new interview "the 12 SS is completely my concept and my baby..."
« Reply #210 on: June 09, 2014, 04:15:54 AM »
I haven't listened to it yet, are we absolutely sure he's talking about Levin? I think he is, by the looks of it.

What's so hard about this?:

"Even though it would be weird, JP and JR would be really into it I think.  TL though is busy with his own stuff at the moment.  For me, JP, and JR, LTE is a really important and special part of our lives.  While TL certainly enjoyed the project and came back for a reunion in 2008, he doesn't feel nearly as emotionally attached to it.  He's doing a King Crimson reunion tour right now and god knows what else.  LTE isn't something he's super interested in right now."

Can I be hired to be MP's PR director?
I'd hire you, that's so much better than what he said.

Also, they *could* get Billy Sheehan, or Sean Malone, or whomever.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #211 on: June 09, 2014, 05:26:40 AM »
That LTE quote reminds me of the childish "3 DT members responded to my email, 2 didn't" tweet :facepalm: I got the impression he was referring to JP, but who knows... JP has said he's been exchanging emails with MP occasionally, but I think the scars left by the split probably haven't healed enough to make him want to work with MP yet. On the other hand, it might be that JP simply wants to concentrate on DT and use the spare time to work on his solo album.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #212 on: June 09, 2014, 06:56:57 AM »
It's JP, without a shadow of a doubt.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #213 on: June 09, 2014, 07:09:23 AM »
Man, I keep trying to give MP the benefit of the doubt in these situations but he continues to make it difficult! In this same interview, he talks about honestly and how he is always honest with the fans and that sometimes his "honestly" makes some fans upset.  The problem is that there is a fine line between honestly and to much detail from his perspective. Usually, he ends up providing to much detail from his side of any given story and makes it look like he's throwing others under the bus. In this case it was either JP or TL from LTE (could be either one in my opinion), as ? pointed out in the past its been other DT members as well.

I agree that people should be honest, but there is a way to handle being honest with a little more tact. Ironically enough, I feel like JP is incredibly good at exactly that.  Telling the truth but presenting the truth with tact and leaving out details the general public doesn't need to know in order to not make others look bad who are involved in the situation.

Offline phentalmyst

« Reply #214 on: June 09, 2014, 07:23:00 AM »
MP made mention of a grudge in that LTE post, which leads me to believe he's referring to JP, not TL.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #215 on: June 09, 2014, 07:51:44 AM »
I assumed he was talking about Petrucci, since Levin has never struck me as someone who has a problem revisiting the past (see: his recent tours with Peter Gabriel). 

As for being honest, like I've always said, sure, Portnoy tells it like it is, from it is always from his point of view, so it often comes across as a skewed distortion of the facts, ones that make him look as good as possible, and quite often someone else not so good.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #216 on: June 09, 2014, 07:53:54 AM »
I thought you people commenting he was talking about Tony Levin were sarcastic. It's rather obvious to me that it's JP that's apparently ''holding grudges''.

Offline gentaishinigami

« Reply #217 on: June 09, 2014, 09:32:01 AM »
Yeah... can't see that being about anyone but JP.

Some serious shit must have went down behind closed doors for JP to feel as burned as he has.  He seems to have gone into serious-business lawyer-up mode once MP left.  He's usually so cool and calm and seems like things don't much bother him.  Then again, who knows what kind of verbal exchanges could have gone down back during the break up.

You don't act like that just because the other guy wanted to leave.  There was some stuff going on/said that he took mega personally.  Knowing MP's complete lack of a verbal filter, that doesn't seem too unlikely of course.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #218 on: June 09, 2014, 09:33:39 AM »
Okay, so:

"Well, the reality is that right now JP isn't really into the idea.  When I left DT, JP took it especially hard.  All the sudden, he was forced to be a band leader.  This sounds cool, but I wanted to leave in part because I was tired of all the different responsibilities.  I mentioned that I can't talk about the legal side of went down, but it was obviously tough.  And, from DT's perspective, JP was the main person dealing with all that.  To me, that stuff is just business, but for JP I guess it isn't.  Me, JR, and TL I think would happily make a new LTE CD, but we can't do it without John.  I hope he comes around."
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #219 on: June 09, 2014, 09:47:01 AM »
Dude, he is totally talking about Tony Levin.  Remember when Mike mentioned in every interview that Levin's Chapman Stick was too small?  It got to the point where people were creating user names like "TinyTonysChapStick" and they had to bring in Chris Collins as a backup in case Levin refused to go on for their infamous Carnegie Hall show?

I probably fabricated that

But yeah, he is definitely talking about Petrucci.  JP used to say the standard "I've talked to Mike a few times and I wish him well."  One time he even divulged a little detail about how uncomfortable with the A7X tour which I was surprised at how candid he was.  As someone else stated, he is in big time "lawyer/legal mode" and says as little as possible now.  One of those most recent video interview with JP they brought up MP and he just said, "I just want to look to the future and not look at the past."  When they asked a followup question, he replied with the same "I just want to look to the future."  His second response was especially awkward.  Of course, despite its awkwardness, it was a far more classy answer than what MP just gave. 

Offline gentaishinigami

« Reply #220 on: June 09, 2014, 09:52:05 AM »
Those fake PR answers are too long.  Just say:

"Well, I'm very busy lately with *insert project name* and I know the other guys are busy with *insert name*, but if things ever line up I'd love to make another LTE album."

Offline puppyonacid

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #221 on: June 09, 2014, 09:53:47 AM »
How about this for awkward

So MP, JR and JP get together for another LTE record and during rehearsals MP starts jamming some DT grooves life Home or 6:00 or whatever.

Or(!!) even worse, something from the last two albums!

I would not know where to put myself!
This post was brought to you by Puppyonacid and subsequently ignored.

DTF's resident thread killer

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #222 on: June 09, 2014, 09:54:45 AM »
Okay, so:

"Well, the reality is that right now JP isn't really into the idea.  When I left DT, JP took it especially hard.  All the sudden, he was forced to be a band leader.  This sounds cool, but I wanted to leave in part because I was tired of all the different responsibilities.  I mentioned that I can't talk about the legal side of went down, but it was obviously tough.  And, from DT's perspective, JP was the main person dealing with all that.  To me, that stuff is just business, but for JP I guess it isn't.  Me, JR, and TL I think would happily make a new LTE CD, but we can't do it without John.  I hope he comes around."

Or, how I imagine someone more like JP would phrase it:
"I'd love to do it, and will accept the call whenever I get it."

Paints him as willing and laid-back, but puts the ball in their court.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

Offline gentaishinigami

« Reply #223 on: June 09, 2014, 09:56:30 AM »
Okay, so:

Also not good because we're assuming JP actually doesn't want to do it as MP said, so that would allow MP to come back with "Well, I did call and he subbed me".  Gotta give an answer that says basically nothing for it to be a real pr answer!  :biggrin:

Edit: Misread, coming from MP that wouldn't be such a bad answer.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #224 on: June 09, 2014, 09:57:57 AM »
Okay, so:

Good alternative.

I just don't like short answers that are too obviously written by PR consultants and/or lawyers.  They come off as fake in an alienating way.
Over and over again

Offline gentaishinigami

« Reply #225 on: June 09, 2014, 09:58:44 AM »
Okay, so:

Good alternative.

I just don't like short answers that are too obviously written by PR consultants and/or lawyers.  They come off as fake in an alienating way.

Indeed, but that's how you kinda have to give interviews so that they don't get twisted around or make you sound bad later.

MP knows this though, he just chooses not to follow it.  He basically said the above in that youtube interview.  Maybe hes a masochist and secretly enjoys it.  :P

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #226 on: June 09, 2014, 10:16:42 AM »

So MP, JR and JP get together for another LTE record and during rehearsals MP starts jamming some DT grooves life Home or 6:00 or whatever.

haha, I could only imagine

MP: "Hey guys, remember THIS one?!"  *plays 6:00 intro*

JP: "Yeah, Mangini played it with us on the last tour.  Sounded great."

MP: *sad face*

Offline Grizz

« Reply #227 on: June 09, 2014, 03:25:32 PM »

What if he started playing one of the MM-era songs?
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #228 on: June 09, 2014, 03:38:47 PM »

What if he started playing one of the MM-era songs?

Well its kind of like a marriage.  If you got back with your ex would you want to look through his vacation pictures and sex tapes with their ummm, other drummer? 

:marriageanalogy:

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #229 on: June 09, 2014, 03:47:04 PM »
Is it normal to have sex tapes?

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #230 on: June 09, 2014, 03:50:59 PM »
Is it normal to have sex tapes?

Well yeah, dats and masters too.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Skeever

« Reply #231 on: June 09, 2014, 04:40:43 PM »
i REALLY don't see any issue with anything MP said...

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #232 on: June 09, 2014, 05:46:09 PM »
I haven't listened to it yet, are we absolutely sure he's talking about Levin? I think he is, by the looks of it.

"Even though it would be weird, JP and JR would be really into it I think.  TL though is busy with his own stuff at the moment.  For me, JP, and JR, LTE is a really important and special part of our lives.  While TL certainly enjoyed the project and came back for a reunion in 2008, he doesn't feel nearly as emotionally attached to it.  He's doing a King Crimson reunion tour right now and god knows what else.  LTE isn't something he's super interested in right now."

The guy from Cheers plays bass? Who knew.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #233 on: June 09, 2014, 06:24:24 PM »
Do I have to google that reference because I'm 21, or...?  :-\

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #234 on: June 09, 2014, 10:12:48 PM »

The guy from Cheers plays bass? Who knew.
You clearly didn't. Sean Malone plays bass. Sam Malone on Cheers played baseball.
rumby = FAIL
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #235 on: June 10, 2014, 12:04:37 PM »
LOL

"where everybody knows your name"

"except rumby"
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #236 on: June 10, 2014, 12:07:06 PM »
:rollin
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #237 on: June 10, 2014, 06:24:31 PM »
Okay, so:

Also not good because we're assuming JP actually doesn't want to do it as MP said, so that would allow MP to come back with "Well, I did call and he subbed me".  Gotta give an answer that says basically nothing for it to be a real pr answer!  :biggrin:

Catching up on some of these posts, but :tup .  I thought the exact same thought you did except I thought he would say "I did call you, and you didn't pick up, you bas*ard" except he would not say bas*ard since no one says that in this scenario.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 06:30:36 PM by Anguyen92 »

Offline 425

« Reply #238 on: June 11, 2014, 08:00:18 PM »
That LTE quote reminds me of the childish "3 DT members responded to my email, 2 didn't" tweet :facepalm: I got the impression he was referring to JP, but who knows... JP has said he's been exchanging emails with MP occasionally, but I think the scars left by the split probably haven't healed enough to make him want to work with MP yet. On the other hand, it might be that JP simply wants to concentrate on DT and use the spare time to work on his solo album.

I don't think this has been brought up with regard to this (and I don't want to stir the pot too much, but I think this is relevant and interesting enough to at least be worthy of brief discussion), but I think it's worth mentioning since this I think is the first clear indication we've had that things aren't okay between MP and JP: I don't remember the scenario and information surrounding that tweet—I wasn't around at the time—but is there any possibility that JP was not one of the three? I mean, I know it was assumed that the three were JP, JR and MM, but is it possible that this assumption was false and it was JR, MM and either JLB or JMX?
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #239 on: June 11, 2014, 08:07:56 PM »
Considering how much shit was said about JLB in the guise of others comments and his own, I doubt JLB will ever speak to MP again.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #240 on: June 11, 2014, 08:15:50 PM »
LOL

"where everybody knows your name"

"except rumby"

:lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #241 on: June 11, 2014, 11:48:49 PM »
The three members are obviously JP (if only because of legal stuff), JR (who I think is the only current member of the band to have seen MP in person since he left) and MM (who's said publicly multiple times that he considers MP a friend).
Over and over again

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #242 on: June 12, 2014, 12:18:33 AM »

I don't think this has been brought up with regard to this (and I don't want to stir the pot too much, but I think this is relevant and interesting enough to at least be worthy of brief discussion), but I think it's worth mentioning since this I think is the first clear indication we've had that things aren't okay between MP and JP: I don't remember the scenario and information surrounding that tweet—I wasn't around at the time—but is there any possibility that JP was not one of the three? I mean, I know it was assumed that the three were JP, JR and MM, but is it possible that this assumption was false and it was JR, MM and either JLB or JMX?
It was around the time DT got their first Grammy nomination, and MP said he congratulated them. I'm pretty sure James and JMX were the ones who didn't reply (can't blame them). It seems that JP is ok with being in contact with MP, but it's not like they're friends again. I wish MP would've simply said "I emailed them congratulating on the Grammy nomination" instead of playing the victim card again...

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #243 on: June 12, 2014, 04:14:01 AM »
 I still like Mike.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #244 on: June 12, 2014, 06:53:53 AM »
Yeah I'd guess the 2 members that didn't respond were JLB and JMX.  It seems like those were the relationships that were most strained before MP left DT and have continued to be strained since his departure.