Author Topic: New here - couple of simple questions  (Read 2317 times)

Offline connolla

New here - couple of simple questions
« on: July 08, 2014, 09:42:17 AM »
Hey guys, I've been lurking here for a while but just made an account to see if I could get some answers to some questions. Apologies if this stuff has been answered before, I looked but didn't find anything.

1. During the chorus in "Home", MP & JP are singing some weird background stuff that I've never been able to make out. It doesn't seem to be on any lyric sheets or on the web -- do any of you guys know what they're saying?

2. "Erotomania" is commonly referred to as a joke song on this site and by the band members. Why is that?

Thanks for the help!

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
Re: New here - couple of simple questions
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 10:10:59 AM »
I've never heard anyone refer to Erotomania as a joke song.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 10:13:18 AM »
Same here. 

Regarding the background stuff in Home, some of it is probably wordless vocals for effect, and some of it might be singing a key word from the chorus and letting it hang in the background while JLB sings the lead vocal over it.  I'd have to listen closely to say for sure.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 10:14:12 AM »
Hey guys, I've been lurking here for a while but just made an account to see if I could get some answers to some questions. Apologies if this stuff has been answered before, I looked but didn't find anything.

1. During the chorus in "Home", MP & JP are singing some weird background stuff that I've never been able to make out. It doesn't seem to be on any lyric sheets or on the web -- do any of you guys know what they're saying?

2. "Erotomania" is commonly referred to as a joke song on this site and by the band members. Why is that?

Thanks for the help!

1. Not sure on that one. I've never been able to quite make it out.

2. I recall that the song originated as the band messing around as a joke, and then it got developed into Erotomania. That's probably what you're thinking of. Beyond that, it's not what anyone would call a joke song.

Same here. 

Regarding the background stuff in Home, some of it is probably wordless vocals for effect, and some of it might be singing a key word from the chorus and letting it hang in the background while JLB sings the lead vocal over it.  I'd have to listen closely to say for sure.

It sounds like there are different vowel sounds, so I think it is key words, perhaps not directly from the chorus, but related to the meaning.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline connolla

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2014, 11:41:20 AM »
Thanks, guys. Those have been bugging me for a while now.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2014, 05:35:04 PM »
Mike and John sing, "Love! Deceit! Death!"

The three dances from Metropolis Pt. 1.

:hat
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2014, 05:48:34 PM »
Raw Dog is DT's joke song. ;D

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2014, 06:11:37 PM »
As was mentioned, DT never considered Erotomania a joke song, but when JP was interviewed for the IaW fanzine back in 1994 and Neil Elliott (the interviewer) commented that it was tight and really flows well, JP responded:
You think so? It's strange that it would flow well, because it's an example of sections from a long time ago meshed together with new ideas.
I think I recall reading elsewhere that they kind of laughed at the craziness of the song, just as I believe they laughed at the craziness of the instrumental section in TDEN after they figured it all out. So just because they laughed at something doesn't mean that it is a joke song.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2014, 06:59:20 PM »
At least he didn't ask why Pull Me Under

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2014, 08:12:34 PM »

:hat

Winner.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Cable

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2014, 08:55:32 PM »

:tup

I think I recall reading elsewhere that they kind of laughed at the craziness of the song, just as I believe they laughed at the craziness of the instrumental section in TDEN after they figured it all out. So just because they laughed at something doesn't mean that it is a joke song.

As much I am lukewarm about Erotomania, the big JP solo works better in it than PMU/Oliver's Twist. With it, to me it is similar in style to the crazy part of TDEN.
---

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2014, 11:37:40 PM »
I recall reading that JP said that he and Kevin Moore were playing around with some concepts that were deliberately nonsensical, which became the opening riff.   This should not be misconstrued as a joke -- as it is only an unconventional approach to composing an unconventional song.

Offline connolla

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2014, 09:50:50 AM »

Ugh

Works for me.