Author Topic: Minneapolis 1994 - Best JLB performance ever?  (Read 11778 times)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: Minneapolis 1994 - Best JLB performance ever?
« Reply #105 on: May 26, 2014, 08:01:43 AM »
SFAM and SDOIT alone cancel out any possible theoretical scenarios to me. They booted DS out of the band not a moment too soon. While FII is my #4 DT album, what DS contributed to the band pales in comparison to what JR added.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #106 on: May 26, 2014, 09:13:00 AM »
But then again, seeing how much of SFAM was written with Derek, SDOIT is probably the first proper sample of unique JR's sound and ideas transferred onto DT.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #107 on: May 26, 2014, 09:42:29 AM »
But then again, seeing how much of SFAM was written with Derek, SDOIT is probably the first proper sample of unique JR's sound and ideas transferred onto DT.

Despite his participation in the SFAM "demo", I don't believe DS contributed much to the final album at all. SFAM is in fact arguably the most undiluted "JR" that JR has ever been allowed to be in DT, aside from maybe SDOIT. JR's stamp is undeniably all over SFAM from start to finish, and that fresh sound is a lot of what makes that album so amazing imo, not the tiny dribs and drabs drafted while DS happened to be in the band.

The demo was mostly 20 minutes of rough noodling, and how much of that made it in? Some main keyboard parts of Overture 1928 are in there, the outro run from TDOE that is just doubling JP, which I would assume JP wrote anyway based on the pattern and performance, and sections of One Last Time that are based around a signature JP melody, where the keyboard is just playing the most rudimentary of accompaniment on a hammond, which got replaced with something better by JR. I was skimming, so maybe there's something else in there too, but no developed ideas or signature DS parts that I spotted.

So only a small portion of the final album was even written while DS was in the band, and I'd only credit him with himself writing an even smaller portion of that. I'd only give him credit for Overture 1928. Had he not been involved, it would hardly have changed a thing imo. The greatness of SFAM comes largely from the fresh writing dynamic of JP/JR.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 09:49:27 AM by BlobVanDam »

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #108 on: May 26, 2014, 11:44:37 AM »
Do you have any insider info on how Metropolis Part 2 was written?  To me, it seems like DS should have writing credits on Overture 1928, Strange Deja Vu, maybe TDOE, and OLT.  Even the minor accompanying sections are still songwriting.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #109 on: May 26, 2014, 12:02:16 PM »
The Metropolis pt 2 demo gives a ton of info as to how it was written, if you're familiar with the style of each musician, and the writing process in general. Accompaniment only counts as songwriting if you wrote the progression. Accompanying an already written progression doesn't.

In the case of OLT, that certainly appears to be the case. In the case of TDOE, he's only doubling JP (not all that well either, and I don't for a second believe he wrote it). The only unique thing I near from DS in the Metropolis pt 2 demo is Overture 1928, which as I noted before, I'd credit him for. Everything else he played (of the parts that made it into the album) is basic level accompaniment and/or doubling to what JP is doing.

To think he contributed enough to the album to support MoraWintersoul's point is unfounded imo.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #110 on: May 26, 2014, 03:25:56 PM »
Blob, I think you're heavily overplaying Jordan's influence in the songwriting. Check out this comment by Paul Northfield, talking about Jordan's role in the writing of Systematic Chaos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYgAPl4UDUo#t=8150

I see no reason why that would have been different for SFAM, where he had just joined the band.
I mean, maybe he has a bigger role in the writing these days now that MP is gone, but sound-wise it doesn't sound like it. And from Paul Northfield's comments about ADTOE, it's all JP these days.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #111 on: May 26, 2014, 03:48:23 PM »
I think ADTOE had a lot of Jordan.  Even the harder songs, like BMUBMD, have keyboard elements that go beyond "orchestration."

DT12 though feels like a far more JP influenced project.  Very few if any moments that make me think "oh yeah, total JR thing here."
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #112 on: May 26, 2014, 04:46:12 PM »
While the above points are all correct, I can at the same time only dream what DS would have contributed music-wise to DT had he stayed, based on what he later did in Planet X.
Also, of the three keyboardists, he is my favorite in terms of solos. KM had good melodies for his solos but weak sounds, and JR's solos are, sorry, 90% total throwaway.

Well, in fairness, those other keyboardist have had a lot less time to disappoint you with the presentation of their solos. Derek gets 1 and a half albums and Kevin gets 3 where as Jordan has at least 8 albums worth of DT material, and many more related projects. Although I think you're onto something I agree with, in that Derek had a good ear for tone and sound which can make a simple melody or passage much more appealing, which is something KM never got right with me despite coming up with some amazing keyboard leads. Even in OSI these days he's more about the ambient noises and the rhythmic sound effects. But Jordan has some hits and misses, which I think is he same for the other keyboardists, it's just their 'misses' are relatively lower by default, but it doesn't necessarily mean they're more consistent, I believe they just didn't have enough time to disenchant you. JR is constantly trying out new sounds in the music he plays, and continues to play around with sounds outside of DT with his digital sound manipulation programmes. And if I'm honest, some of Jordans solos have completely blown my mind from lack of comprehension and sheer amazement at some of the scale patterns and arpeggios that he plays at astonishing speeds. I know playing is not all about speed but when he hammers on the right heartstrings and plays very high energy solos sometimes while his left hand is taking care of the ambient stuff. It really proves to me that he's on a whole 'nother level.  :millahhhh

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #113 on: May 26, 2014, 11:00:25 PM »
Blob, I think you're heavily overplaying Jordan's influence in the songwriting. Check out this comment by Paul Northfield, talking about Jordan's role in the writing of Systematic Chaos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYgAPl4UDUo#t=8150

I see no reason why that would have been different for SFAM, where he had just joined the band.
I mean, maybe he has a bigger role in the writing these days now that MP is gone, but sound-wise it doesn't sound like it. And from Paul Northfield's comments about ADTOE, it's all JP these days.

The difference in JR's influence between SFAM and SC (and later albums) is obvious though if you listen to the albums. On SC/BCASL, JR was more restricted in what he could contribute with the heavier riffs and heavier style, and everyone suspects the dynamic was different in the later MP days too. Even the most recent albums, it sounds like the JP show, and JR kind of has to work around that.
SFAM and SDOIT are the two albums where you can easily hear JR's songwriting influence. After that was a completely different beast. What Paul Northfield says about SC has zero relevance to SFAM.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #114 on: May 28, 2014, 11:33:08 AM »
During Lie, you can see Derek smoking as he plays the keyboards.

Dream Theater was just cooler back in the day man.

The Derek phase was performance-wise one of the most enjoyable. Lava lamps, TVs on stage, then the occasional antics (Nightmare Cinema), and even acoustic sets. And Derek himself is coolness in person anyway.
Not that the current stage show is bad, but they lately rely a lot on video screens for their visuals. In the Derek days the stage had a lot going on.

Huge difference of opinion here. I almost threw in the towel on them in early '98. From the outside looking in, it just seemed like it was a matter of time (oops!) before the outside pressures did the band in.  I didn't like what they were becoming at all.
Always easier to say in hindsight, but Derek became the poster boy to all that went wrong then. At least he did to me. I think the performance standards took a hit in those years too.

Derek was/is completely cool in person though. No doubt about that. Met him several times during those years.

Of course it all comes down to opinion in the end. I know a lot of people here see the switch to JR as an unequivocal trade up, but I think they chipped away at a thing they would never regain from there on: character. Derek infused the band with a lot of unique character (sound and personality I wise), and so did MP. There's no question that JR and MM are exceptionally skilled musicians, but I gotta be honest with you, those changes made DT more and more reliant on JP as the creative input. Like, MP obviously left his indelible mark on the DT sound, and Derek even supplied a full song on FII, one which I think is brilliant. And look at what he wrote later for Planet X.
These days there's maybe a drum full or a small piano break from JR and MM, but that's the extent of it really.

I don't share  your fondness for most Derek contributions (performances, fashion sense, humor, contributions) while he was in the band, but I will COMPLETELY agree with your assessment of his work after he left (at least as far as his solo stuff and Planet X is concerned)  I LOVE that stuff and it's obvious that he learned quite a bit from being in Dream Theater. My contention has always been that he was not the right fit for Dream Theater. I'll admit that in retrospect things aren't quite as bad as it was when I was living through that period and there is quite a lot to like there (except Anna Lee. Never changing my mind on that one.)

As far as Jordan goes, I'm firmly in the camp that they should just turn the guy loose and let him be creative and impose fewer boundaries.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #115 on: May 28, 2014, 11:35:58 AM »

I don't share  your fondness for most Derek contributions (performances, fashion sense, humor, contributions) while he was in the band, but I will COMPLETELY agree with your assessment of his work after he left (at least as far as his solo stuff and Planet X is concerned)  I LOVE that stuff and it's obvious that he learned quite a bit from being in Dream Theater. My contention has always been that he was not the right fit for Dream Theater. I'll admit that in retrospect things aren't quite as bad as it was when I was living through that period and there is quite a lot to like there (except Anna Lee. Never changing my mind on that one.)

As far as Jordan goes, I'm firmly in the camp that they should just turn the guy loose and let him be creative and impose fewer boundaries.

Yup.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Shine

« Reply #116 on: July 18, 2014, 03:24:54 PM »
So are there any bootlegs of Learning to Live from 93/94?
lake of fire

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
  • The One Who Help To Set The Sun
« Reply #117 on: July 18, 2014, 03:29:18 PM »
So are there any bootlegs of Learning to Live from 93/94?
Yes, actually! There's one from a very good bootleg I have called Lost In The Sky from Milan, 93. Closes the show.
i don't even like dt but i had keyboard and an ipad so what the fuck
Jordan is actually DT's tax advisor. He just happens to do their taxes on stage, that's why he has that iPad there.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #118 on: July 18, 2014, 03:33:57 PM »
Funny you mentioned it.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
« Reply #119 on: July 18, 2014, 03:35:58 PM »
Haha! It's the first example I could think of, so now that means I've got it playing naturally now.
Jordan is actually DT's tax advisor. He just happens to do their taxes on stage, that's why he has that iPad there.

Offline Öxölklöfför

• Pull my finger, I'm not afraid.
« Reply #120 on: July 19, 2014, 04:58:51 AM »
There you go people! https://1drv.ms/S6Ptn4

Thanks a lot! But, I'm having trouble downloading it, it'll only download 257k. Probably because I'm on a Mac. Does anyone have an alernate download link that isn't hosted on Skydrive?

Offline Grizz

« Reply #121 on: July 19, 2014, 12:27:49 PM »
I've had this problem before. It stopped randomly
 Try a different browser?
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #122 on: July 19, 2014, 12:35:24 PM »
Do you have any insider info on how Metropolis Part 2 was written?  To me, it seems like DS should have writing credits on Overture 1928, Strange Deja Vu, maybe TDOE, and OLT.  Even the minor accompanying sections are still songwriting.

My guess would be that when Derek was fired, any severance pay or whatever he received was given under the condition that he forfeit songwriting credit and/or (any more) monetary compensation on anything used on later albums that might have come about in jams/demos/etc. when was still in the band.  That could apply to the parts that ended up in Scenes... or Raise the Knife ending up on Score.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #123 on: July 19, 2014, 01:10:04 PM »
Derek even supplied a full song on FII
Which song is that?

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
« Reply #124 on: July 19, 2014, 01:41:39 PM »
Derek even supplied a full song on FII
Which song is that?

Anna Lee, of course

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #125 on: July 19, 2014, 01:50:09 PM »
Why is that in sarcasm green? It is the song he contributed. He even reused the tune on his solo album.

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
« Reply #126 on: July 19, 2014, 02:15:17 PM »
Because of Five Years in a LIVEtime commentary, Petrucci says the music wasn't all Derek's.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #127 on: July 19, 2014, 08:16:13 PM »
Because of Five Years in a LIVEtime commentary, Petrucci says the music wasn't all Derek's.

Petrucci actually got a little defensive when Mike mentioned it was pretty much just Derek with James adding lyrics

Offline Grizz

« Reply #128 on: July 19, 2014, 08:34:30 PM »
I'd let him have the credit for the most boring song in DT's catalog.
I'd rather listen to Forsaken.
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #129 on: July 19, 2014, 08:43:22 PM »
Enigma Machine is three times as boring as Anna Lee, IMHO.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #130 on: July 19, 2014, 08:49:41 PM »

Agreed.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #131 on: July 19, 2014, 11:04:48 PM »

My independent testing actually puts it at more like 7.2x more boring. Anna Lee is a beautiful song.

Offline Grizz

« Reply #132 on: July 19, 2014, 11:14:40 PM »
Both are boring, the difference being Enigma Machine has energy.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #133 on: July 20, 2014, 12:45:00 AM »
The difference being Anne Lee is a song, and not just a few riffs thrown together. :biggrin:

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #134 on: July 20, 2014, 05:08:33 AM »
Look, I like Enigma Machine, but Anna Lee is a much better song, and I hope that DT brings it back to live performances, now that MP is no longer making the setlists.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Enalya

« Reply #135 on: July 21, 2014, 08:37:59 AM »
There you go people! https://1drv.ms/S6Ptn4

Thanks a lot! But, I'm having trouble downloading it, it'll only download 257k. Probably because I'm on a Mac. Does anyone have an alernate download link that isn't hosted on Skydrive?

Doesn't work for me either.. So eager to have it xD

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #136 on: July 21, 2014, 09:41:13 AM »
Alright, I 'll look into it when I get back from the concert!
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Grizz

« Reply #137 on: July 21, 2014, 05:21:51 PM »
It's SkyDrive. They handle downloads strangely and stop randomly with no hope of resume. In fact, I was shocked that our last exchange worked. Perhaps you could try DropBox or Google Drive? (I'd mirror it but I don't have a fully functional computer until Friday.)

BTW, Did my emails scare you off?  :lol

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #138 on: July 22, 2014, 05:06:04 AM »
Am I the only one who always reads the thread title as "Metropolis 1994"? :D

Offline Grizz

« Reply #139 on: July 22, 2014, 12:08:08 PM »
It doesn't say metropolis?
Fuck.