Author Topic: The Discography Discussion Tracker Thread  (Read 193778 times)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliōujoāupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Re: The Discography Discussion Tracker Thread
« Reply #420 on: June 07, 2017, 07:05:32 PM »
wow, Scar tried to do an Opeth discography twice  :lol

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #421 on: June 29, 2017, 03:13:35 PM »
I think I was supposed to post in here that I'm doing a Queensryche one. Sorry.

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=50337.0
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #422 on: June 29, 2017, 04:55:32 PM »
We noticed.   :biggrin:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #423 on: July 09, 2017, 05:38:54 AM »
There's a rumour of Stadler/Barto starting a Judas Priest discussion.  I'm super pumped since JP was slightly off my listening tastes back in the day.  But.... and I don't know how anyone else feels about this .... there are already two immense and very active metal discussions underway in QR and IM.  Perhaps wait until one of those is wrapping up before starting a 3rd?

Thoughts?
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #424 on: July 10, 2017, 01:25:08 PM »
Digression... Tim, you referenced (and we all know) your love for UFO.  I'd love for you to do a discussion thread on them.

Thanks Chad! UFO is an important band. Lots of great material, and also lots of not so great material. Their impact can be seen across so many bands.

No need to add me to the list yet, but I think I will do this. As I said, I'm pretty laid up this week. I feel like if I can get a good intro down, and knock off the pre Schenker era this week, then I will be happy. I'll quietly try and put this together over the next few months.

I just did the writeup for the first album, and have the next two outlined.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #425 on: July 10, 2017, 06:27:46 PM »
Digression... Tim, you referenced (and we all know) your love for UFO.  I'd love for you to do a discussion thread on them.

Thanks Chad! UFO is an important band. Lots of great material, and also lots of not so great material. Their impact can be seen across so many bands.

No need to add me to the list yet, but I think I will do this. As I said, I'm pretty laid up this week. I feel like if I can get a good intro down, and knock off the pre Schenker era this week, then I will be happy. I'll quietly try and put this together over the next few months.

I just did the writeup for the first album, and have the next two outlined.

:caffeine:

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #426 on: July 11, 2017, 11:16:07 AM »
Anybody out there with the knowledge to do one on DIO (solo) or Fates Warning? I'm a fan of DIO solo, and a huge fan of Fates Warning, but I'm not versed enough with the history to do justice to either...
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #427 on: July 11, 2017, 11:48:49 AM »
Anybody out there with the knowledge to do one on DIO (solo) or Fates Warning? I'm a fan of DIO solo, and a huge fan of Fates Warning, but I'm not versed enough with the history to do justice to either...

I'd follow the shit out of both of those.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #428 on: July 20, 2017, 02:51:15 PM »
Helloween would be a great one as well, if anybody has enough knowledge about them...

www.roadstomadness.com

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #429 on: July 20, 2017, 03:14:36 PM »
Helloween would be a great one as well, if anybody has enough knowledge about them...

I suspect TAC is your man for them too.  Maybe Wolfking.

And yeah, I'd follow the shit out of that one too.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #430 on: July 21, 2017, 04:19:56 PM »

I suspect TAC is your man for them too.   

Not at all. After Kiske left, I gave up on them. Over the past few years, I have pretty much gotten the rest of their discog. But I honestly haven't paid any attention to the Deris Era.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #431 on: July 21, 2017, 04:30:37 PM »
You're talking about making a Helloween discography thread? I'm familiar with Their discography very well, I'm fan since I was Young kid and heard Walls Of Jericho. But, I don't know if I could managed it, I would have to remember some most important parts of Their history which is quite complicated especially in Hansen/Kiske era. I could give it a try soon...I think so.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #432 on: July 24, 2017, 05:19:52 PM »
You're talking about making a Helloween discography thread? I'm familiar with Their discography very well, I'm fan since I was Young kid and heard Walls Of Jericho. But, I don't know if I could managed it, I would have to remember some most important parts of Their history which is quite complicated especially in Hansen/Kiske era. I could give it a try soon...I think so.

Cool! Please do!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #433 on: July 24, 2017, 11:29:50 PM »

Cool! Please do!
I'm thinking about a form of it, but I think I'll go with a normal album by album runthrough with some insides in the band. Have to prepare it, but I want to do this. I love Helloween since I was kid, when I heard Guardians it took from the first time :) And I bought (to be precise, my Father did ;) )that album on cassette, only because of the cover  ;) From then, Helloween is one of my favourite bands of all times.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #434 on: July 27, 2017, 11:39:29 PM »
Too lazy to look for it, but is there an Iced Earth discography thread? And if no, why not?  :biggrin:
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #435 on: July 28, 2017, 06:02:47 AM »
Too lazy to look for it, but is there an Iced Earth discography thread? And if no, why not?  :biggrin:

No, and probably because no one has volunteered for it.

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #436 on: July 31, 2017, 06:59:51 AM »

I've considered it, but I just don't have the time to really sit down and do it, and I certainly can't compete with the quality of the Maiden and Queensryche discography threads. 

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #437 on: July 31, 2017, 08:40:03 AM »

I've considered it, but I just don't have the time to really sit down and do it, and I certainly can't compete with the quality of the Maiden and Queensryche discography threads.

If everyone felt they had to top Mosh/Samsara, there would never be another discography discussion.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #438 on: August 28, 2017, 12:46:00 PM »
After reading Mosh's great great great detailed posts regarding everything related to Iron Maiden so far and seeing how descriptive the Bruce stuff has been so far, I would like to see a discography thread of Chris Cornell being made covering his entire music life that ranges from his early days to Temple of the Dog to Soundgarden to Audioslave to his solo stuff (yes, including Scream as well).

I know I can't do this justice, since I wasn't even born yet when he did Temple of the Dog and everything pre-Badmotorfinger, and I'm a casual fan at best, but I always like what I hear from Chris Cornell from all of his stuff, and I would like to see a thread of his stuff being thoroughly discussed.  Can anyone here do it after the Iron Maiden discography is done?

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #439 on: August 31, 2017, 08:11:29 AM »
I'd love that!
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ŋDe qué sirviķ haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #440 on: September 23, 2017, 01:59:48 PM »
Instead of Ulver, I think in a couple of months I'll be ready to start making a full Steven Wilson discography thread, covering all his body of work, that is: PT, Solo, No-Man, Blackfield, Storm Corrosion, and even I.E.M., Bass Communion, Karma and Altamont if there's enough interest. I'd cover main albums, EPs and live releases, and also rare EPs, singles, collabs, etc. only if people request it :P I'd also revive the survivor along the way, maybe even start it over if necessary or just following it.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #441 on: September 23, 2017, 02:28:06 PM »
I would be so down to read that thread Sacul

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ŋDe qué sirviķ haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #442 on: September 30, 2017, 02:27:21 PM »
Great! I've been planning it a bit and was thinking about going from each project in the following order, from most popular to least known: Porcupine Tree -> Solo -> Storm Corrosion -> Blackfield -> No-Man -> Bass Communion/Continuum -> I.E.M. -> Altamont -> Karma. And maybe Pride of Passion if I can find a rip or something, shit's so obscure  :lol .

I'd review every official release under each project and classifying every entry in one of three categories: Essential, Optional, Obsessive. Essential is just main albums, not counting live ones nor EPs nor anything else, perfect for the newcomers. Optional includes most EPs, live records, and even a compilation or two of discarded material/outtakes. Obsessive would focus on obscure releases, such as Japan-only tracks, rare singles, demos, collaboration and production work with other artists, etc.

This would enable me to chronologically go through all releases and tie up all the writeups better. Essential releases would be posted one per week to let people have time to digest them, as usual, and was thinking of assigning less time for the other categories, like 5 days for Optional and only 3 for Obsessive, as those will include shorter writeups and would likely incite less debate than the rest. I will provide streaming and purchase links for each release when available. I would also consider hosting a listening session on plug.dj each week.

This project will take a long time but I hope it will help folks get into some of his wonderful work. Any feedback and suggestions are welcome  :D
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 04:47:48 PM by Sacul »

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #443 on: September 30, 2017, 03:35:17 PM »
That sounds great! I'm familiar with a lot of SW stuff but some stuff I never checked out like Bass Communion and IEM.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #444 on: September 30, 2017, 03:38:12 PM »
I'd totally follow. I'm really getting into SW's solo work at the moment. Plus I've only heard about 4 Porcupine Tree albums. All the rest will be new to me so I'd dive headlong into all of it  :tup

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #445 on: October 25, 2017, 11:01:56 PM »
I'm curious, why are there two links to the Gentle Giant Discography thread, labeled (1) and (2), but they both go to the same thread?  First post of this thread, the "master list".

Also, the master list needs a bit of updating.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #446 on: October 26, 2017, 06:57:45 AM »
I'm curious, why are there two links to the Gentle Giant Discography thread, labeled (1) and (2), but they both go to the same thread?  First post of this thread, the "master list".

Also, the master list needs a bit of updating.

Looking into the GG links, I mis-interpreted some posts by you to think that there were two.  I've removed one of them.

What needs to be updated (other than Sacul / Steven Wilson in the "coming soon")?

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #447 on: October 26, 2017, 07:24:08 AM »
Queensr˙che is done now.  I thought there was at least one more, but there are a few that haven't had updates in a while, so I think that threw me off.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #448 on: December 01, 2017, 08:12:37 PM »
I know this past summer, I discussed doing a UFO Discog Thread, but I'm actually contemplating an Alice Cooper one first. Any interest?

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #449 on: December 01, 2017, 08:38:42 PM »
I know this past summer, I discussed doing a UFO Discog Thread, but I'm actually contemplating an Alice Cooper one first. Any interest?

In UFO.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #450 on: December 02, 2017, 04:33:20 AM »
I would follow either, but would prefer UFO.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #451 on: December 07, 2017, 04:35:18 AM »

Totally down for it, I've heard every single album he's done  :metal I can talk both Welcome To My Nightmare and Dada!  ;D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #452 on: September 29, 2018, 09:06:54 AM »
So, I guess I allegedly was going to start a Neal Morse Discography thread at some point, but life got busy. I'm not sure if anyone would want one at this point, or if I would even be the most qualified to start one, but if there's any interest, I may start some write-ups in my spare time and start it this fall once I've gotten most of my write-ups done ahead of time. I've been spinning a lot of Neal Morse(-related) albums in my commutes lately, so the albums are fairly fresh in my mind and I wouldn't be opposed to doing a discography thread in the coming weeks.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #453 on: September 29, 2018, 09:11:23 AM »
So, I guess I allegedly was going to start a Neal Morse Discography thread at some point, but life got busy. I'm not sure if anyone would want one at this point, or if I would even be the most qualified to start one, but if there's any interest, I may start some write-ups in my spare time and start it this fall once I've gotten most of my write-ups done ahead of time. I've been spinning a lot of Neal Morse(-related) albums in my commutes lately, so the albums are fairly fresh in my mind and I wouldn't be opposed to doing a discography thread in the coming weeks.

-Marc.

Do it.  You will receive my full participation.  :tup :tup

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #454 on: September 29, 2018, 09:32:17 AM »
I'm in.  :tup