Author Topic: The Discography Discussion Tracker Thread  (Read 193073 times)

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
Re: The Discography Discussion thread
« Reply #70 on: May 24, 2014, 07:16:51 PM »
I'd be ready as well, though I'll probably wait with mine until the first one of the recent batch is done. Three is quite enough, I should think.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #71 on: May 25, 2014, 01:29:11 PM »
I would smile my everything if Nihil-Morai did a Zappa thread.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline jammindude

« Reply #72 on: May 25, 2014, 04:40:21 PM »
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #73 on: May 26, 2014, 08:25:16 AM »
Now that we have 3 underway, let's do the next batches in order of priority from who signed up.  With a dozen+ albums from each of the existing acts, and a week or so per album... well it'll be deep into the summer before myself, Scrop and Marc are up.  So, no reason why the three of us shouldn't start to build our content over the next few months, so that we're all ready to go when the current three are done.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #74 on: May 26, 2014, 09:12:31 AM »

Oh my god I'd love to do that. It would, like Jammin said earlier, take a couple of years, however.

If I can write up one album a week, ánd there would be enough interest, I'd totally do it though. Would be an awesome way to do a new Zappathon again. I did one about 2 years back, listen to as many Zappa as possible, following his album list, but even that took me about 5 months. And there's been at least 5 new albums since then.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #75 on: May 26, 2014, 09:14:28 AM »
I wouldn't care if it took the rest of my life. I'll take any excuse I can get to read your thoughts on Zappa.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #76 on: May 27, 2014, 07:06:20 AM »
Any chance we can get this thread pinned?
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #77 on: May 27, 2014, 08:15:07 AM »
Any chance we can get this thread pinned?
Good idea.  :tup
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #78 on: May 29, 2014, 05:31:56 PM »
I'm surprised nobody is doing Porcupine Tree.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #79 on: May 29, 2014, 05:43:37 PM »
I'm surprised nobody is doing Porcupine Tree.
As am I, though I think they've almost fallen out of style here. Maybe it's just because they haven't done anything since 2009.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #80 on: May 29, 2014, 09:47:17 PM »
I wouldn't care if it took the rest of my life. I'll take any excuse I can get to read your thoughts on Zappa.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: May 30, 2014, 04:51:15 AM »

I take it there are small number of people who can discuss every album with me, (I don't know every release inside out either) but if there are a couple of people interested in listening to every single official release the man has done, I'll do it. Seems like a daunting task, but it'll be fun. Put me on the list!
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #82 on: May 30, 2014, 04:53:46 AM »

I take it there are small number of people who can discuss every album with me, (I don't know every release inside out either) but if there are a couple of people interested in listening to every single official release the man has done, I'll do it. Seems like a daunting task, but it'll be fun. Put me on the list!

I already had!
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #83 on: May 30, 2014, 04:59:48 AM »
I wouldn't mind doing something with Kansas, but it will be a while before I would be ready, so everyone else can get their stuff together first.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #84 on: May 30, 2014, 05:01:30 AM »
I wouldn't mind doing something with Kansas, but it will be a while before I would be ready, so everyone else can get their stuff together first.

:fistpump:

Awesome... was really wanting someone to lead them.  Given the list ahead of you, it's prolly not gonna be until 2015 that you'll be up.  You're on the list though.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #85 on: May 30, 2014, 05:13:36 AM »

I'm in the category of, "I own about 4 or 5 albums, and I love them all, but the catalog is so overwhelmingly huge that I don't know where to go next."

Strictly Commercial was my very first Zappa album.  From there I picked up Joe's Garage.   I also own Hot Rats, Bongo Fury, Overnite Sensation, and a copy of 200 Motels that I haven't even listened to yet.     Just last week, I decided to start from the beginning and pick up Freak Out! and I'm hoping to pick up Absolutely Free within the next month or so.     Mostly, I just want to hear from someone who knows more about it than I do. 

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: May 30, 2014, 07:45:31 AM »

I'm in the category of, "I own about 4 or 5 albums, and I love them all, but the catalog is so overwhelmingly huge that I don't know where to go next."

Strictly Commercial was my very first Zappa album.  From there I picked up Joe's Garage.   I also own Hot Rats, Bongo Fury, Overnite Sensation, and a copy of 200 Motels that I haven't even listened to yet.     Just last week, I decided to start from the beginning and pick up Freak Out! and I'm hoping to pick up Absolutely Free within the next month or so.     Mostly, I just want to hear from someone who knows more about it than I do.

I had the same problem, I'd lent Stage 3 from my uncle, and then downloaded everything at once. But that was way too much to handle. So I started with Freak Out too and worked my way through his discography. The 60's and 70's became instant favourites, but the 80's stuff is still not really among my favourites.

Well, I'm looking forward to this.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #87 on: May 31, 2014, 09:47:58 PM »
If you did it, I would try as hard as humanly possible to listen and at least say something for every album. Might be tough for other people who didn't already download everything to get in on the action because I don't think much of his stuff is on Spotify, and that's how people tend to follow discog threads, I think.

Totally with you on the overall progression of his music, as well. Everything up to Joe's Garage (that I've heard) is pure sex, but the stuff that followed hasn't done too much for me.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #88 on: May 31, 2014, 10:58:37 PM »
Now that it is June (har har), I'll be starting my SB thread sometime soon. I'll probably get a head start on my own write-ups over the next week as I do some research and compile my thoughts on the band's albums. If you guys want me to wait, I can, but I'd like to start sometime within the next two weeks, but I can wait til one or two of the existing Discography Discussion threads have finished.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #89 on: June 01, 2014, 03:48:53 AM »
If you did it, I would try as hard as humanly possible to listen and at least say something for every album. Might be tough for other people who didn't already download everything to get in on the action because I don't think much of his stuff is on Spotify, and that's how people tend to follow discog threads, I think.

Totally with you on the overall progression of his music, as well. Everything up to Joe's Garage (that I've heard) is pure sex, but the stuff that followed hasn't done too much for me.

I believe that most of his official releases are on spotify, I'll check that out.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #90 on: June 01, 2014, 10:08:58 AM »

I believe that most of his official releases are on spotify, I'll check that out.
That would certainly help a lot.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #91 on: June 01, 2014, 10:18:22 AM »
Now that it is June (har har), I'll be starting my SB thread sometime soon. I'll probably get a head start on my own write-ups over the next week as I do some research and compile my thoughts on the band's albums. If you guys want me to wait, I can, but I'd like to start sometime within the next two weeks, but I can wait til one or two of the existing Discography Discussion threads have finished.

I would say go ahead and start it then.  I can't see it being an issue.  Obviously, we don't want 10 of them going at once, but the current three should all be around the midway point by then.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #92 on: June 01, 2014, 08:30:38 PM »
I've thought about this for a while, and I just noticed an omission on the list of the bands that I find quite striking, given their popularity on this forum: Symphony X. So if everyone's cool with it, I'd probably rather do an SX discussion than a Trivium one, as I'm pretty sure the former would attract more attention. Probably.11

Sorry for switching around so much, I guess. Last time, I promise.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 08:48:11 PM by Scorpion »

Offline jammindude

« Reply #93 on: June 01, 2014, 08:40:33 PM »
I'm personally not that into Trivium at all. SX is someone I at least have a passing interest in. I own V and found it a bit too cheese whiz for my taste, but then again, I've been told there are better albums, so I'd be at least curious about an album by album analysis.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #94 on: June 01, 2014, 08:50:09 PM »
Yeah, I know quite a few guys that would probably think similarly - hence my wish to do SX instead. I honestly thought that someone else was already doing them, given how popular they are on this forum.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #95 on: June 02, 2014, 02:16:37 AM »
I'd be interested in a SX one rather than a Trivium one too.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #96 on: June 02, 2014, 07:45:45 AM »
I'd be interested in a SX one rather than a Trivium one too.
Indeed

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #97 on: June 02, 2014, 08:05:35 AM »
Count me in as interested in SX as well. I get the feeling that this is a band I should be way more familiar with and a Discog thread would be a great excuse.

Also, I'd like to chime in my EXTREME interest in Zappa (obviously) although I'm sure that I've heard all of the official releases at one point or another and about 1/4 of it doesn't interest me much. Sure, I recognise the brilliance of all of his output yet some of it just isn't my glass of gin.

I'm looking forward to Kansas and Rush as well.
I have always found it quaint, and rather touching, that there is a movement in the U.S. that thinks Americans are not yet selfish enough.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #98 on: June 02, 2014, 08:09:55 AM »
Count me in as interested in SX as well. I get the feeling that this is a band I should be way more familiar with and a Discog thread would be a great excuse.

Also, I'd like to chime in my EXTREME interest in Zappa (obviously) although I'm sure that I've heard all of the official releases at one point or another and about 1/4 of it doesn't interest me much. Sure, I recognise the brilliance of all of his output yet some of it just isn't my glass of gin.

It isn't like I love all of his work (earlier today I gave my thoughts on Thing Fish in the Zappa Thread), but I'd be happy if there's a number of people trying to comment on every single album. Add in a few who comment only on the albums they're interested in, and it'll be a perfectly healthy thread!

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #99 on: June 02, 2014, 04:08:43 PM »

Ditto on all of this. I'm super familiar with Rush already, and Kansas I used to be pretty familiar with when I was getting in to prog about a decade ago, and I ended up getting their whole discography. I really enjoy their first 8 albums or so.

As for Symphony X, I have all of their studio albums, but I really only listen to four or five of them. A discography thread of them will definitely help me flesh out their work for me since I've never given them their due attention.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #100 on: June 02, 2014, 04:53:26 PM »

It isn't like I love all of his work (earlier today I gave my thoughts on Thing Fish in the Zappa Thread), but I'd be happy if there's a number of people trying to comment on every single album. Add in a few who comment only on the albums they're interested in, and it'll be a perfectly healthy thread!

It turns out that I completely overestimated my knowledge of the man. I looked up the Zappa discography on Wikipedia today and I calculated that I own eight albums and am familiar enough with another four albums that I could sing along with every moment. There are roughly another ten albums, prior to the 1990's, that I've heard up to two times but have not heard in years and can't recall more than impressions. That means that prior to his death, I'd consumed a whopping 36% of his music... :omg: :lol

I'd say I could actually use a discography thread but I may not live that long!
I have always found it quaint, and rather touching, that there is a movement in the U.S. that thinks Americans are not yet selfish enough.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #101 on: June 02, 2014, 05:23:10 PM »
Zappa produced so much music I'm not even sure HE heard all of it before he died.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #102 on: June 03, 2014, 03:13:03 PM »
 :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #103 on: June 04, 2014, 06:10:40 PM »

-Marc.

Personally, I think we should only have three running at a time.  I know it doesn't seem too hard to be listening to three albums every few days, but not everyone is here every single day, life gets in the way preventing people from really digesting the albums. If we are to use this outlet to not only discuss a discography, but attract new fans, I think three at a time is the right number.

Also,
Now that we have 3 underway, let's do the next batches in order of priority from who signed up.  With a dozen+ albums from each of the existing acts, and a week or so per album... well it'll be deep into the summer before myself, Scrop and Marc are up.  So, no reason why the three of us shouldn't start to build our content over the next few months, so that we're all ready to go when the current three are done.

By all means, start your research and writeuos, but my vote is to hold off on actually starting the discussion until 1 of the current guys is done.

And Scrop... I'd be all over a SX discussion.  Way more so than Trivium. Shall I modify your chosen band?

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #104 on: June 04, 2014, 07:24:57 PM »
Yeah, go ahead and put me down for SX. Also, just say the word and I'm starting, I've already listened to their debut a few times in the last week or so, so I just need to do some quick reading and I'm good to go.