Author Topic: The Discography Discussion Tracker Thread  (Read 193095 times)

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: The Discography Discussion Tracker Thread
« Reply #140 on: July 12, 2014, 10:30:37 AM »
Well... the only thing I can think of is that Bosk started running through all the albums in the official IM thread as he started discovering them... prompting (essentially) a discography discussion?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #141 on: July 14, 2014, 02:25:58 PM »
Now that Gregg is finished the BOC discography, I'll load up the Led Zeppelin discussion in a couple of days.  I'm traveling for work, back on Friday, so I'll give his final entry a few days of discussion, then fire up the Zeppelin thread before the end of the week
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #142 on: July 14, 2014, 02:34:27 PM »
I'm really looking forward to it! See ya there.  :biggrin:
I have always found it quaint, and rather touching, that there is a movement in the U.S. that thinks Americans are not yet selfish enough.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #143 on: July 14, 2014, 02:49:00 PM »
Now that Gregg is finished the BOC discography, I'll load up the Led Zeppelin discussion in a couple of days.  I'm traveling for work, back on Friday, so I'll give his final entry a few days of discussion, then fire up the Zeppelin thread before the end of the week
:tup
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #144 on: July 14, 2014, 09:51:12 PM »
I'll load up the Led Zeppelin discussion in a couple of days.
:caffeine:

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #145 on: July 17, 2014, 08:21:46 AM »
I'd consider doing an Alice Cooper one, but it'd be a lot of work and prep, and I don't think there'd be any interest in it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #146 on: July 17, 2014, 09:28:54 AM »
I don't know if it warrants a mention here or not, but both Yes and Chicago have recently released new albums, and I plan to update their discographies in the near future.  I'm pretty sure I'm one of maybe five people in the world who still listen to either of those bands, but at this point, I'm a completist.  I have to get the new albums just because it wouldn't make sense not to.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #147 on: July 17, 2014, 11:58:18 AM »
I was actually intending to ask you about the new Chicago album.  :lol
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #148 on: July 17, 2014, 01:26:38 PM »
I picked it up the other night, and am on my third listen.  I figured it would be "easier" than starting with the new Yes album.  I need to finish this listen, maybe do one more, make a few notes, then I'll update the Chicago Discography thread.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #149 on: July 18, 2014, 01:29:08 AM »
I used your Yes writeups a sort of guide when listening to all their albums recently, would love to see your take on the new album.  :tup
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #150 on: July 18, 2014, 06:47:02 AM »
Yep, that one's coming, too.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #151 on: July 18, 2014, 07:26:46 AM »
Orbert's discographies are the gold standard for sure! I've read them all and I've used the Genesis thread several times while trying to get into the band. His insights are invaluable for pointing out things I would miss on my own. It's about time to attempt my annual Genesis trek so I'll be using it again.

I wonder...I suppose we should have checked with Orbert before we started this project. I mean it was his idea for sure and some of these discographies could have been in his plans. For instance, Pink Floyd.

Hey, Orbert, if we stole your thunder with any of these bands, I'm truly sorry! A little after the fact, yes?

Also, I'd like to apologize for not doing your tradition justice with my BÖC discography--it's pretty embarrassing for me to go back and read it in comparison to, say, your Yes thread.  :blush  Still, I did about the best I could, which is about all I can expect I suppose.
I have always found it quaint, and rather touching, that there is a movement in the U.S. that thinks Americans are not yet selfish enough.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #152 on: July 18, 2014, 07:29:56 AM »
I picked it up the other night, and am on my third listen.  I figured it would be "easier" than starting with the new Yes album.  I need to finish this listen, maybe do one more, make a few notes, then I'll update the Chicago Discography thread.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #153 on: July 18, 2014, 07:47:33 AM »
Orbert's discographies are the gold standard for sure! I've read them all and I've used the Genesis thread several times while trying to get into the band. His insights are invaluable for pointing out things I would miss on my own. It's about time to attempt my annual Genesis trek so I'll be using it again.

I wonder...I suppose we should have checked with Orbert before we started this project. I mean it was his idea for sure and some of these discographies could have been in his plans. For instance, Pink Floyd.

Hey, Orbert, if we stole your thunder with any of these bands, I'm truly sorry! A little after the fact, yes?

Also, I'd like to apologize for not doing your tradition justice with my BÖC discography--it's pretty embarrassing for me to go back and read it in comparison to, say, your Yes thread.  :blush  Still, I did about the best I could, which is about all I can expect I suppose.

No worries.  I don't "own" the discography concept or anything.  I just wanted to do something a little more in-depth, and share some of the trivia that's been accumulating in my head for the past 40 years.  This place has kept me sane through some tough times, and I felt like I needed to give something back.  Also, I'm a teacher and a writer, so I figured if I was going to do it, it had to be well-structured and consistent from the start or I myself wouldn't be happy with it.  The Yes Discography was first, as they're still my favorite band, but you can see how the discography goes through a few tweaks in format and approach at first.  But there's no set format; the forum might have certain expectations, but each writer has to do it in a way that suits them.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #154 on: July 18, 2014, 08:03:09 AM »
I really need to plow through those Yes and Genesis threads.  I casually followed as they were happening, but should go all in with them.  I love both bands, but don't 'know' either of them very well.

Led Zeppelin will be up by tomorrow morning, maybe later today.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #155 on: July 19, 2014, 06:32:59 AM »
There was a time (about 15 years ago) when my two favorite bands in all the world were Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin, and now (for a while anyway) there are current discography threads on both of them.  So I am in a state of nostalgic music heaven.  Kudos!

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
  • The One Who Help To Set The Sun
« Reply #156 on: July 20, 2014, 09:33:14 AM »
I feel like we should probably have a Radiohead discography discussion sometime.
i don't even like dt but i had keyboard and an ipad so what the fuck
Jordan is actually DT's tax advisor. He just happens to do their taxes on stage, that's why he has that iPad there.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #157 on: July 20, 2014, 11:50:19 AM »
I feel like we should probably have a Radiohead discography discussion sometime.

sounds like you're volunteering.

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
  • The One Who Help To Set The Sun
« Reply #158 on: July 20, 2014, 12:37:05 PM »
I might be
i don't even like dt but i had keyboard and an ipad so what the fuck
Jordan is actually DT's tax advisor. He just happens to do their taxes on stage, that's why he has that iPad there.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #159 on: July 20, 2014, 12:39:22 PM »
Can someone give me a week's heads-up when I'm up-to-bat for my SB Discography Discussion? I've been a bit busy with work this summer and haven't had a chance to hunker down and get to an introduction, let alone an album or two. I'd like a week in advance just so I can get the first few write-ups done and be on top of everything. I'm sure i was close to being next but I wanted to make sure I wasn't stepping on anyone's tails with it.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #160 on: July 20, 2014, 06:12:29 PM »
Can someone give me a week's heads-up when I'm up-to-bat for my SB Discography Discussion? I've been a bit busy with work this summer and haven't had a chance to hunker down and get to an introduction, let alone an album or two. I'd like a week in advance just so I can get the first few write-ups done and be on top of everything. I'm sure i was close to being next but I wanted to make sure I wasn't stepping on anyone's tails with it.

-Marc.

Will do.  It should be soon though - within 3-4 weeks I suspect.  I suspect UMH will be done with Devy next (2 albums I think), then Scrop will go with Symphony X.  When the Gentlemen is done with Floyd (only 3 albums to go + some solo work potentially), you're up with either SB or Morse - your choice.  I would suggest/recommend that you only do one at a time, and we push the other one further down the list?  That would give you and your followers a break.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #161 on: July 20, 2014, 06:40:42 PM »

-Marc.

Will do.  It should be soon though - within 3-4 weeks I suspect.  I suspect UMH will be done with Devy next (2 albums I think), then Scrop will go with Symphony X.  When the Gentlemen is done with Floyd (only 3 albums to go + some solo work potentially), you're up with either SB or Morse - your choice.  I would suggest/recommend that you only do one at a time, and we push the other one further down the list?  That would give you and your followers a break.

So almost a month from now? I'm good with that. That'll give me the rest of this month to prepare a bit, then after my busy weekend at Otakon (August 7-10), I'll have time to finish initial preparations for my first few write-ups.

As for my Discography, I'm going with Spock's Beard, and at the point where Neal leaves (between Snow and Feel Euphoria), I'll make a note about his departure and plan to discuss his relevant solo career in another thread at another time. Since both SB and Neal are working on new albums for this/next year, it'll be a good time to do these discographies to get people interested in them as SB's 12th album is in recording, and Neal is about to release a new singer/songwriter album, then possibly a new prog album next Spring/Summer (and given the rate of these discussions, I'm sure my SB one will go well into October, then I'll hope to start the Neal Morse one sometime in the Winter (January would be good) to help gear up for whatever he has coming out in 2015.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #162 on: July 20, 2014, 07:19:38 PM »
I'll definitely be all over the SB discussion. I've really only heard The Light (love that album to death), and definitely need to explore further.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #163 on: July 20, 2014, 09:19:49 PM »
I'll be all over it too.  Have the discog, but always up for listening and learning.  Neal on the other hand, will be much more informative.  I've listened to a few of his albums once each, but never went any further.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #164 on: July 21, 2014, 01:35:31 PM »
I'll be all over it too.  Have the discog, but always up for listening and learning.  Neal on the other hand, will be much more informative.  I've listened to a few of his albums once each, but never went any further.

I believe I know most that Neal mas put out, but still I'd love to listen to it all in a row.

On a sidenote, out of enthousiasm, fear of not being able to keep up the pace and lack of other work to do, I've already started writing on Zappa. Could be 6 months till the discussion starts, but what the hell.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #165 on: July 21, 2014, 02:19:12 PM »

It's probably a great idea to write while the mood strikes you and have them banked away...especially with how many you'll be asked to do.

I was thinking about that the other day and thought, "If I was Nihil, I think I'd try and figure out a way to do write-ups by years." You'd have some write-ups that would encompass two or three records per post but if you gave them a week or ten days for discussion it might work. Still, you'd be hosting the discussion for a year even by doing that!  :)

Of course, the problem with that is Frank's output could vary radically from one album to the next so that wouldn't make it conducive to a single post.

Either way, I'm looking forward to it!

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #166 on: July 21, 2014, 02:22:00 PM »

It's probably a great idea to write while the mood strikes you and have them banked away...especially with how many you'll be asked to do.

I was thinking about that the other day and thought, "If I was Nihil, I think I'd try and figure out a way to do write-ups by years." You'd have some write-ups that would encompass two or three records per post but if you gave them a week or ten days for discussion it might work. Still, you'd be hosting the discussion for a year even by doing that!  :)

Of course, the problem with that is Frank's output could vary radically from one album to the next so that wouldn't make it conducive to a single post.

Either way, I'm looking forward to it!

That's an interesting idea. I could stitch albums together in a single post. Not by year per-se, but by similar albums right before or after. (Absolutely Free and We're Only In It and Mothermania come to mind. Lumpy Gravy sits in between but has nothing to do, stylistically, with those albums)
Thanks for your input nonetheless!
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #167 on: July 21, 2014, 09:24:22 PM »
I don't think there's a single thing related to Zappa that could qualify as "simple" or "efficient," let alone a thorough analysis of his entire discography. It's going to be a hell of a slog, no matter how it's done. I'll be there though. I swear on my life I will try as hard as I possibly can to at least contribute SOMETHING to every discussion.

It's a very good idea to start writing now though. I've had several times where I realize "oh fuck me it's been a week" and I have to rush through the write-ups.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #168 on: July 22, 2014, 12:38:13 AM »
Sorry if this has been addressed already but is the Zappa discog going to include posthumous albums?
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #169 on: July 22, 2014, 03:54:17 AM »
Sorry if this has been addressed already but is the Zappa discog going to include posthumous albums?

I'll follow the official Zappa discog. So that's 99 albums so far. Other releases are not officially discussed, but I'll mention those that could be relevant.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #170 on: July 22, 2014, 03:57:08 AM »
99 albums :lol Will you be doing 3 per day or something?
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #171 on: July 22, 2014, 04:02:06 AM »
Haha, it's quite a lot... I don't think I'll be doing more than one a week, or maybe two or three that fit together in a single post. I simply won't think of how long it'll take me, I just can't :lol 

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #172 on: July 22, 2014, 05:29:00 AM »

I'll follow the official Zappa discog. So that's 99 albums so far. Other releases are not officially discussed, but I'll mention those that could be relevant.

Are you fucking shitting me!?!?!  :lol  when everyone was gushing over how many albums I was figuring 30-40 tops.  NINETY-FUCKING-NINE!?!?!

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #173 on: July 22, 2014, 05:34:40 AM »
Some artists are crazy when it comes to putting out many albums. There's a Japanese musician called Merzbow who has put out 274 studio albums, and a guitarist like Buckethead who has almost 100 studio albums (40 of them are probably for 2014 alone).

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #174 on: July 22, 2014, 05:39:04 AM »
Some artists are crazy when it comes to putting out many albums. There's a Japanese musician called Merzbow who has put out 274 studio albums, and a guitarist like Buckethead who has almost 100 studio albums (40 of them are probably for 2014 alone).

Oh yeah, and Klaus Schulze has a crazy discog too.

Are you fucking shitting me!?!?!  :lol  when everyone was gushing over how many albums I was figuring 30-40 tops.  NINETY-FUCKING-NINE!?!?!

:biggrin: