Author Topic: The Discography Discussion Tracker Thread  (Read 193074 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: The Discography Discussion thread
« Reply #105 on: June 05, 2014, 08:25:02 AM »
j.b, you're probably right about keeping it to three at a time, but I guess it all depends on what bands are going.  Not everyone is gonna be interested in each discography thread. 

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #106 on: June 05, 2014, 10:58:58 AM »
This ^

Personally I am obsessively participating in the Pink Floyd thread... but only skimming through the BOC and DT threads when I have spare time.  Not a whole lot of interest in them.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #107 on: June 05, 2014, 11:07:43 AM »
However if people are getting into one or more of the artists through these threads, having more than 3 could be overkill. It my discourage someone from following or getting into an artist.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #108 on: June 05, 2014, 01:44:15 PM »
Yep, that's the thing.  For example, if someone wanted to do a 4th one right now, it being a band very different from those currently being featured, I'd say go for it.  You just don't want too many similar-type artists going at the same time.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #109 on: June 05, 2014, 02:58:23 PM »
I know I'm not the only one following all three.  While I already know the PF albums, BOC and Devy are new to me. Even stacking on SB (whom I know) I do want to listen while participating, so a fourth will be a little taxing.

I guess the question is this... Are we more concerned with giving people enough to be interested in (for example, Jay's only following 1, so one more isn't a big deal), or are we more concerned about overloading people (eg, me and Hef)?

The latter potentially limits participation more so than the former. That's my only point.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #110 on: June 05, 2014, 03:06:43 PM »
I'd say we wait. Three are quite enough - what's the rush?
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #111 on: June 05, 2014, 06:44:56 PM »
I'm probably not the best example (laid up with a busted leg and also working on my own Top 50/ following others....) but i'd appreciate it be kept to three at a time -  not finding the time I'd like to participate as it is  :-\  Either way they'll make a great reference but maximising participation has to be good..
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 06:58:39 PM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #112 on: June 06, 2014, 05:04:53 AM »
Yeah, any more than three and I think we run the risk of defeating at leas part of the purpose of these threads.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #113 on: June 07, 2014, 08:55:03 AM »
Listening through Kansas's first album getting ready for starting my writeups.  So good!
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #114 on: June 07, 2014, 09:50:03 AM »
Oh man, I will be going hog wild in that one! Love me some Kansas. :coolio

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #115 on: June 07, 2014, 11:30:33 AM »
Oh man, I will be going hog wild in that one! Love me some Kansas. :coolio
:metal

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #116 on: June 09, 2014, 06:42:04 AM »
Oh man, I will be going hog wild in that one!

Me too, but for different reasons.  Kansas slipped under my radar back in the day, so this will be my exposure to them.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #117 on: June 10, 2014, 09:29:32 AM »
Oh man, I will be going hog wild in that one!

Me too, but for different reasons.  Kansas slipped under my radar back in the day, so this will be my exposure to them.
You'll be in for a treat.

But it will most likely still be a while.  Time is not on my side.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Discography Discussion Tracker Thread
« Reply #118 on: June 10, 2014, 09:47:42 AM »
^ I've got patience.

Also, I just added myself to the bottom of the list with Arjen Lucassen and all his projects.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Discography Discussion Tracker Thread - any requests?
« Reply #119 on: June 22, 2014, 05:45:56 AM »
Chatter seems to have died down here, so I thought I'd throw out a couple of requests to see if there are any takers?

Ozzy
Dio
Rainbow

Those are a few of the acts that I just never explored for some unknown reason. 

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #120 on: June 22, 2014, 09:09:43 AM »
About Rainbow, I'm a big fan and I bloody love Dio era and Stranger In Us All album, but I actively dislike almost everything they've done with Turner, so I'm not the person you would look for this job. However, if anyone hosts this one, I promise I'll be down to discuss everything.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #121 on: June 22, 2014, 10:55:21 AM »
There must be someone interested in doing a Steven Wilson discography thread. Including the best albums of all his projects. Discussing all of his releases would be way too much, but a couple of albums per band... I'd be interested in discussing!
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #122 on: June 22, 2014, 11:08:45 AM »
There must be someone interested in doing a Steven Wilson discography thread. Including the best albums of all his projects. Discussing all of his releases would be way too much, but a couple of albums per band... I'd be interested in discussing!

The problem with that would be that there is little consensus on what his best albums are, especially when it comes to PT, so leaving any of them out would seem weird.  I think someone doing just PT makes the most sense.  He only has three solo albums and all three have been discussed a ton in the SW thread over the last few years as each has been released, so it's probably too soon for those.  Someone doing a PT discography thread makes the most sense, at this point.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #123 on: June 22, 2014, 11:13:31 AM »
The problem with that would be that there is little consensus on what his best albums are, especially when it comes to PT, so leaving any of them out would seem weird.  I think someone doing just PT makes the most sense.  He only has three solo albums and all three have been discussed a ton in the SW thread over the last few years as each has been released, so it's probably too soon for those.  Someone doing a PT discography thread makes the most sense, at this point.
This.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #124 on: June 22, 2014, 11:36:36 AM »

Yeah, I see your point. Other SW projects aren't as loved at PT around here. I love No-Man and Bass Communion, I like IEM, but I don't see much discussion about those bands around here.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #125 on: June 25, 2014, 04:00:26 PM »
I'm probably going to start zipping through the balance of BÖC's discography so we can clear a space for a more popular group. Come on Kansas!!  :tup :tup Besides, we've pretty much skimmed the cream off even if there are a few surprise highlights left.

Get ready!
I have always found it quaint, and rather touching, that there is a movement in the U.S. that thinks Americans are not yet selfish enough.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #126 on: June 25, 2014, 07:15:36 PM »
I'm probably going to start zipping through the balance of BÖC's discography so we can clear a space for a more popular group. Come on Kansas!!  :tup :tup Besides, we've pretty much skimmed the cream off even if there are a few surprise highlights left.

Get ready!

Whoa whoa there Tex.  Kansas is at the bottom of the list  I've been starting my Zeppelin writeups, and I think Marc and Tommy Boy have been as well.  Now that we're underway, I think it's only fair we do things on a first come, first serve basis - unless otherwise stated by the person who signed up.  I'm still probably two weeks away from being far enough along to really start, so I'll defer to Spock's or S-X, and do Zeppelin when the Floyd or Devy discussions are done.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #127 on: June 26, 2014, 08:12:30 AM »
Yeah, Kansas is not ready anyway.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #128 on: June 26, 2014, 08:38:17 AM »
Oh, okay  :blush

Was much excite but I can wait...
I have always found it quaint, and rather touching, that there is a movement in the U.S. that thinks Americans are not yet selfish enough.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #129 on: June 26, 2014, 10:34:14 AM »
Yeah, Kansas is not ready anyway.

You don't have a feeling your in Kansas anymore?

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #130 on: June 26, 2014, 10:48:07 AM »
I should be ready for Spock's Beard in a couple weeks. Work has kept me plenty busy but it'll lighten up soon so I'll start my write-ups shortly.

- Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #131 on: June 27, 2014, 08:56:08 PM »
I'd be ready for some Symphony X discog as well, just say the word.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline jammindude

« Reply #132 on: June 27, 2014, 08:59:31 PM »
Still hoping for a Zappa discussion. I'm SO COMPLETELY HOOKED on Absolutely Free at the moment.  :xbones
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #133 on: June 28, 2014, 03:06:34 AM »
Still hoping for a Zappa discussion. I'm SO COMPLETELY HOOKED on Absolutely Free at the moment.  :xbones

It's on the list! I guess it'll be my turn at the end of summer. I better start preparing  :lol

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #134 on: July 11, 2014, 07:18:10 PM »
I don't post a lot here, mainly lurk..but would there be interest in an Iron Maiden discog discussion? They're my favorite band and I know their catalog inside and out, would love to host it.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #135 on: July 11, 2014, 07:29:01 PM »
Sounds like you just volunteered.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #136 on: July 11, 2014, 08:30:39 PM »
Great! Can't wait.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #137 on: July 11, 2014, 09:58:41 PM »
Hasn't Iron Maiden already been done? I mean... I could have sworn...
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #138 on: July 12, 2014, 04:32:17 AM »
Hasn't Iron Maiden already been done? I mean... I could have sworn...

There's been lots of IM discussion...it's thread, people did their Top 20 IM songs, survivors... I don't think there's been a specific discography discussion.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #139 on: July 12, 2014, 09:50:37 AM »
I swear there was one around a year ago. It was the first one I read through before I discovered Orbert's threads... And Bosk was a big participant... I just can't find any evidence of it now besides Bosk mentioning it in a couple posts in the IM thread last year. Or I might be crazy :lol

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"