Author Topic: The Discography Discussion Tracker Thread  (Read 193087 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
The Discography Discussion Tracker Thread
« on: May 09, 2014, 03:21:04 PM »
So, there seems to be enough interest to make this a regular thing.  There's no shortage of music fans here that know an entire band's discography, and no shortage of DTF'rs looking to find a reason to absorb new music.  I'm happy to have this be a 'sign-up' or tracker thread.  Couple of suggestions to keep in mind:

- the artist/band should have a minimum of 5 albums
- If you sign up to lead a discussion, please have it for a band who's discography you that you truly "know"
- give the forum about a week to listen to, digest, and discuss the album
- give your DTFrs a reason to follow... tell us why you're doing the band, why you're uniquely qualified to do it, why you're a huge fan, share stories/anecdotes/experiences etc...
- if anyone has any other suggestions or guidance, feel free to offer them up

Completed:

Orbert/Yes

Orbert/Chicago

Orbert/Genesis

Orbert/ELP

KevShmev/The Flower Kings

Podaar/Blue Oyster Cult

Ultimatalhead/Devin Townsend

GentlemanofDread/Pink Floyd

jingle.boy/Led Zeppelin

Scorpion/Symphony X

KevShmev/Rush

KevShmev/U2

hefdaddy42/Kansas

?/Anathema

James Mypetgiress& Fluffy Lothario/The Mars Volta

KevShmev/Spock's Beard

The Dark Master/Savatage

Stadler/Kiss

Orbert/Gentle Giant

Samsara/Queensrÿche

Mosh/Iron Maiden

Kattelox / Avantasia

TAC/Riot

Orbert / Jethro Tull

TAC/UFO

DragonAttack / Queen

Metropolaris / Devin Townsend v2

Lethean & LithoJazzoSphere / Katatonia

In Process:

Evermind/Arjen Lucassen Projects

Scuttled

darkshade/Pat Metheny
GentlemanofDread/Radiohead
ASacrificedSon/Opeth (1)
Scar/Opeth (2)
Nihil-Morari/Frank Zappa

Coming Soon (allegedly):

The Letter M/The Neal Morse Band
Sacul/Ulver Everything Steven Wilson
Elite/Pain of Salvation
lonestar/IQ
ProgSnob/King Crimson
GentlemanofDread/Coheed & Cambria
The Silent Cody/Helloween
Mosh/Extreme

---------------------------------------------------------------

Original OP:
Now that we're coming to the end of Kev leading the discussion around The Flower Kings' discography, how many people would be interested in making this a regular thing?  People 'sign up' for a band, and then lead a thread and discussion on their discography?  Bob had a ton of interest in the ones he led, and I'm up for following more bands, using it as reason to explore etc... There's no shortage of music fans here that know an entire band's discography.

Thoughts?  Anyone interested in following these kinds of threads?  Anyone interested in leading these kinds of threads?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2024, 05:22:35 AM by jingle.boy »
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
Re: The Discography discussion thread
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2014, 03:43:10 PM »
I'll follow!!!
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2014, 03:47:05 PM »
I'd follow, not sure if I'd want to do one.  I need to do a top 50 really.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2014, 04:04:35 PM »
The more music the merrier I guess.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2014, 04:08:42 PM »
I'd follow that Led Zeppelin one.

Maybe up for doing a System of a Down one, don't know how much interest that would generate though. Or Trivium.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2014, 04:19:13 PM »
Zep would be really good because people are so opinionated and sometimes emotional over their output. I'd follow that.

Also, the Original Post maybe a good place to have links to the other threads. I know Orbert did Chicago, Yes, ELP and Genesis? Maybe more?
I have always found it quaint, and rather touching, that there is a movement in the U.S. that thinks Americans are not yet selfish enough.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2014, 04:39:38 PM »
I've thought about doing one for Spock's Beard/Neal Morse/Transatlantic and related albums from SB members. It would have to wait a couple more weeks before I begin so that work calms down a bit and summer comes around.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2014, 04:46:21 PM »
Also, the Original Post maybe a good place to have links to the other threads. I know Orbert did Chicago, Yes, ELP and Genesis? Maybe more?

Great idea.  If this continues to gain interest, I could make this a 'tracker' thread, maybe get a mod to sticky it, and then see who signs up for what.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2014, 04:51:16 PM »
I too would be interested in this, as a follower.  :corn
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2014, 04:53:38 PM »
Another  :tup for a Led Zeppelin discussion.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2014, 05:58:44 PM »
I'd follow a Led Zep one, but my experience with my top 50 thread (what? It's been ten days since I did a post?!) pretty much proves I'd have no business doing a discography thread.  :lol
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2014, 06:13:49 PM »
I think it's an interesting idea for a thread and something that would be fun, but I doubt any of the bands people would write about would be of much interest to me personally.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2014, 06:58:11 PM »
I think it's an interesting idea for a thread and something that would be fun, but I doubt any of the bands people would write about would be of much interest to me personally.

There's a group of fans on the board that likely would ... Reaper, DC, LieLow... plenty of others have interest in bands (eg, Gojira) I would have zero interest in.  Just like the Top 50 and Roulette 'games', all tastes are welcome, and produce all different kinds of followers.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2014, 07:08:05 PM »
I call dibs on doing Rush's.  :biggrin:

I think other naturals for this forum would be Opeth, Floyd and Porcupine Tree, all of which are hugely popular here.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2014, 07:14:48 PM »
I've thought about doing one for Spock's Beard/Neal Morse/Transatlantic and related albums from SB members. It would have to wait a couple more weeks before I begin so that work calms down a bit and summer comes around.

-Marc.

I'd do them separately, instead of lumping them all together.  SB deserves their own, as does solo Neal; Transatlantic doesn't have enough albums to do one for them, and we've discussed them all ad nauseam in the TA thread anyway.  Lumping them all together would result in a thread that takes too long and would see interest jump up and down, since you'd have people who maybe don't listen to all of those projects.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2014, 08:09:12 PM »
I'd like to do a Dream Theater one.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2014, 08:32:19 PM »
Put me in the "follow but not host" column.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2014, 04:44:25 AM »

Not sure if serious.  I think with the number of Rush fans on the forum, the depth of their discography, perhaps two people could share the responsibilities, and split it?  Just thinking out loud.

-Marc.

I'd do them separately, instead of lumping them all together.  SB deserves their own, as does solo Neal; Transatlantic doesn't have enough albums to do one for them, and we've discussed them all ad nauseam in the TA thread anyway.  Lumping them all together would result in a thread that takes too long and would see interest jump up and down, since you'd have people who maybe don't listen to all of those projects.

You took the the words right off my keyboard Kev.  I think we collectively should come up with some 'guidelines' on how to run these.  My initial thoughts are:

- the act should have a minimum of 5 albums.  Doing a Circus Maximus discog discussion would be over in 2 weeks.
- whoever leads the discussion should truly know the band and the albums. 
- like the top 50 and roulette 'games', I don't think there should be more than 3 of these running at any given time.
- give the forum about a week to listen to, digest, and discuss the album.  Especially if there's 3 running simultaneously, giving updates every couple of days won't allow the followers that are new to the band/albums the chance to listen and participate.  I think Kev's pacing was great for TFK (though I fell behind because of work).

Any other thoughts?  I'll update the OP before the end of the weekend, and we can use this as a 'sign up' thread.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2014, 05:35:28 AM »
Even though I am a total Rush Nut Ytserush is the go to on all things Rush
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2014, 08:19:24 AM »

Not sure if serious.  I think with the number of Rush fans on the forum, the depth of their discography, perhaps two people could share the responsibilities, and split it?  Just thinking out loud.

-Marc.

You took the the words right off my keyboard Kev.  I think we collectively should come up with some 'guidelines' on how to run these.  My initial thoughts are:

- the act should have a minimum of 5 albums.  Doing a Circus Maximus discog discussion would be over in 2 weeks.
- whoever leads the discussion should truly know the band and the albums. 
- like the top 50 and roulette 'games', I don't think there should be more than 3 of these running at any given time.
- give the forum about a week to listen to, digest, and discuss the album.  Especially if there's 3 running simultaneously, giving updates every couple of days won't allow the followers that are new to the band/albums the chance to listen and participate.  I think Kev's pacing was great for TFK (though I fell behind because of work).

Any other thoughts?  I'll update the OP before the end of the weekend, and we can use this as a 'sign up' thread.

All good advice! I figure you guys would suggest to do them separately, and upon thinking about it, I agree. I guess I mean to say I would start with SB, do the band's albums, then branch off to some member's solo albums, and move on through Neal's solo albums, all in separate threads. Give the complete SB/NM experience. I'd have to do a bit of research and work on some things, but if there's a bigger SB/NM fan out there who wants to do one, go right ahead! I don't mind! Heck, I've only been a fan of them since 2003/2004, so I've only known them for half of their career! I'm sure there are a few older/long-time fans here that know more about the band.

Also, in addition to Chicago, Yes, Genesis, ELP, and The Flower Kings, wasn't there also one for The Beatles?

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2014, 08:45:18 AM »
I think so, but IIRC, it was abandoned and never finished.

I think it would make sense that these should be done only by regular posters, meaning people that post regularly.  You don't want people to get interested in the thread and then have to sit around waiting weeks for updates because the person running it only shows up once in a while.  That would kill the fun of it.  If you aren't around to do updates every 5-7 days, what is the point?

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2014, 09:07:53 AM »
I searched "discography" for thread titles, and there were a few.  I'll link those.

Agree on premise of what you're saying Kev... though so long as someone stays committed and provides regular updates, I don't think leading a discussion should be limited to just 'regular posters'.  IMO, the purpose of 'leading' the thread/discussion (WHOEVER does it for a given band) is simply to foster the discussion with some anecdotes, insights, experiences and/or stories etc..  ytserush might not even be interested in committing to lead the discussion on Rush, but actively participate. 

My suggestion was just to ensure whoever leads it does as good a job as Kev/Bob have done in their discog threads.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2014, 07:54:52 PM »
Even though I am a total Rush Nut Ytserush is the go to on all things Rush

I appreciate the vote of confidence, but I think not being around everyday probably disqualifies me.
Besides, the anal level of detail would likely crush any good that would come from it if I do it.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Discography Discussion thread
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2014, 05:52:05 AM »
OP updated.  I won't be able to do the Zeppelin one for at least another month, so if someone else wants to start, knock yourself out.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2014, 06:08:48 AM »
I'll follow. May even go for a discog too. I'll have a think. If I like a band I usually get the whole discog. Until they start  to become shit.

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
  • The One Who Help To Set The Sun
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2014, 06:09:46 AM »
I'll follow most, and if nobody else really wants to do it, I'll do Pink Floyd discography discussion at some point if that's good?
i don't even like dt but i had keyboard and an ipad so what the fuck
Jordan is actually DT's tax advisor. He just happens to do their taxes on stage, that's why he has that iPad there.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2014, 08:24:30 AM »
I'll follow most, and if nobody else really wants to do it, I'll do Pink Floyd discography discussion at some point if that's good?

You're on the list.  Given there's only a few on the 'coming soon' list, I suggest anyone start whenever they're ready.  If this grows like the Roulette and Top 50 series', then we'll start using a first come/first serve method.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2014, 11:44:44 AM »
We'll see how much a SoaD discussion generates. If not many people follow, it'll be over quickly, at least :lol.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2014, 11:49:11 AM »
You know I'll be all over that crap dawg

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2014, 12:59:03 PM »
I was considering doing an Anathema discography thread, but I don't know anything about their doom/death albums.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2014, 03:32:51 PM »
I think I'd rather do a Trivium thread, instead of SoaD. I think that would generate more discussion.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2014, 01:49:05 AM »
The only bands I could think of that I could lead a discussion with are Shadow Gallery, Pain of Salvation and Haken. Unfortunately Haken is off limits, due to having only 3 albums and the Haken thread seems to be flowing nicely anyway. I would like doing a thread on Shadow Gallery, but given the marginal interest on these forums, I'm not sure whether that's a good option (and Doc and Nick would hate me for taking the band probably ;) ), so I could do a Pain of Salvation one if people are interest. I could line it up up to have it run with the Survivor I plan on doing again as well. They have 8 studio albums and some other stuff, as well as a very interesting development as a band. If that's all right with you, I'll gladly do it when there's room.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2014, 09:38:15 AM »
I'd love to see someone do one on Queen, although I am not sure I am the one to do it. There has to be someone here who knows a lot of the ins and outs of every Queen album, to where they could do them justice.

I wouldn't mind doing a U2 one eventually, but I am not sure how high the interest would be for that one.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2014, 09:40:29 AM »
I was considering doing an Anathema discography thread, but I don't know anything about their doom/death albums.
I like all Anathema albums, so I can do it if nobody else volunteers.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2014, 11:05:36 AM »
I thought about doing Queen, and also Rush.  Both are bands I've followed for a long time, pretty rabidly at first and then less enthusiastically later, and doing a discography would have given me a good reason to dig more into their later material.  I have each band's entire catalogue.  But there are probably people more knowledgeable about each of them than I.  Well, probably not Rush.  But there's a lot more work involved, there, so I'll just let someone else do it.

I'm in as a follower for pretty much anything, though.