Author Topic: Hannibal Lector's Couch - TV Series and Mythos Discussion *IT'S RAINING SPOILERS  (Read 14144 times)

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
To echo the statements made on this page, this last episode was everything I could ever hope for in Hannibal; it was my idea of a perfect episode. Not gonna lie, I was heartbroken when I heard they cancelled it but it wasn't all that surprising. Here's hoping that they find a new home for it.

I was really sketched out by the change in Verger's actors but Anderson is (was) fucking awesome in the role and I think I like him more than Pitt. It's sad that these might be the last episodes ever but hopefully they're going to go balls to the wall and go out with a bang. I'm pretty certain that every season has ended in such a way that if they were cancelled, it'd still be a fitting ending (I suppose you could argue against that for S2) so I doubt we'll be left with a cliffhanger. It'll be awesome to see the glory of the Red Dragon, and I'm loving the way that all the characters have been portrayed, especially the amazingly deadly and gorgeous Chiyo.

Good stuff so far for S3, I was getting a little confused and a bit frustrated with all the jumping around in terms of timeline as well as locale but it's come together nicely; I'm still definitely going to rewatch to get a better perspective though.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
And so the show finally begins

This is exactly what I wanted from day 1 and Its finally here. I couldn't be happier.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
I don't know anything about the Red Dragon story, so it'll be exciting to see what it's all about. Even without dialogue, Richard Armitage did a really good job portraying someone who just seems completely mentally sick.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
I totally agree. His performance was excellent. Very engrossing and very convincing. Excellent stuff.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
Of course this show would have some of the greatest episodes it's ever had right after it gets cancelled. That was probably my second favorite episode of the show, what a fantastic entry into the Red Dragon saga. I'm sad that it has to be a bit rushed but they're doing a fantastic job with what they've got left. I'm really sad to see it go, especially since it's pretty dim hope that it'll be picked up. I'm truly not into a movie because I love the format it's in as is and honestly this is more amazing than any Hannibal-series movie they've done. I am utterly astonished with some of the crazy awesome concepts they have with their cinematography and overall use of both practical set and CGI, which is always top notch and just as artsy as the rest.

Armitage is great as 'ole Francy and I like the choices for Will's family. Awesome stuff, I'm definitely going to binge this season down the line.

RIP DTP.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
I'm just curious as to if any of the Exec's at NBC who made the call to cancel,the show actually watched any of this season prior to making that decision? Just fantastic episodes lately that are clearly building to a great finale.....

This show HAS to get picked up by someone.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
Just another awesome episode. As they begin to stack on top of one another it's all the more saddening this show has yet to find a new home. Such a great season going on right now.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
Yeah, I'm really enjoying the Red Dragon story so far. Armitage continues to do a marvelous job portraying this guy.

Abigail cutting the throat of her father's corpse was really disgusting, another classic only-on-this-show moment.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah, I'm really enjoying the Red Dragon story so far. Armitage continues to do a marvelous job portraying this guy.

Abigail cutting the throat of her father's corpse was really disgusting, another classic only-on-this-show moment.

Agree on both. Whatever that fluid was leaking out of him was.....ehh...gross!

For all the effort Hannibal put in to manicuring Abigail, seemingly 'loving' her....then to just kill her the way he did. Man...says a lot about just how F'd up and psychopathic he is.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
The guy playing dolarhyde is AMAZING  :hefdaddy

The actress playing Molly sucks though

One thing I think they screwed up on was having the phone call between Hannibal and dolarhyde after his date with Reba. In previous incarnations, after his time spent with her, he began to resist the Dragon and this internal struggle was fascinating, but here, he has the date with her and then is all like "hey Hannibal, sup, I'm the Dragon and shit". Just felt a little out of order. All his heinous shit should be pre-reba. Pre-redemption (or attempt at redemption)

besides that, everything is cool.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 02:55:09 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
Another amazing episode. Absolutely awesome to see these episodes give specific justice and singularity to scenes that have literally been word for word told before and yet this show makes those scenes its own. I was floored when (I've seen Red Dragon at least a dozen times and can recite it if I was bored enough) the scenes that played out were actually and literally the same. I figured Fuller would find a way to deviate and yet retell, but he's got some serious balls in recreating those scenes exactly and still giving them a feeling of their own. That is some fucking awesome victories for the show.

Makes me even more depressed thinking that it might be over in a handful of episodes. It'd be typical though; that's for god damn sure.

RIP DTP.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
I just re-watched Manhunter. I absolutely love that movie  :heart

For anyone who is really enjoying the red dragon segment currently, I highly recommend it

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah....that is a cool movie. Interesting take on characters that we all know from different iterations.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
Another great episode. Fun to see Will give Bedelia some shit. And Armitage was awesome as usual.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
Armitage  :metal

stealing the show

This is the height of my enjoyment of the series and I wish they would have done this set up from beginning. Rather than have an elaborate "killer of the week" (power rangers style), instead a have one killer that we follow over 4 or 5 episodes and really get to know and understand, because what's going on now is absolute gold.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 06:22:04 AM by Phoenix87x »

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
I get the feeling the remainder of the 'red dragon' arc is going to take us to the end of the season (show?) Which, all in all won't be that bad given how great it's been but it's a bummer that there has been no news of this being picked up by anyone else yet thus leaving this arc being the final arc of the show. 

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
Damn....Hannibal is just flat being a dick to Will now. Guess he finally got ticked he went to prison for that guy.

Another great episode. It seems pretty clear now that the resolution to,the Red Dragon storyline will be the season finale....and for,the time being, the series itself. And if that's the case then it's been an awesome ride it will always beg the question "what could have been" had they allowed the series to run the seven seasons it was mapped out for.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
I don't really have anything new to say that I haven't said every week. The show's great.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
Chiltons demise and the visuals associated with it were gruesome! Interesting deviation from the story as it's been told prior.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
Chilton just can not catch a break. sliced up, burned, chewed up, dissected, shot in the face... geez  :lol

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
Psyched for the finale next week!

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
Psyched for the finale next week!

Yeah....very curious to see how/if they deviate from any of the "cannon" out there to close out the Red Dragon Arc.

Anyone read/seen ANYTHING about this show getting picked up anywhere? I just can't believe it could be over for good?

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
Holy heck what a way to (potentially) close out a series! :clap:

I mean, what an episode.....Will and Hannibal together at the end. I'm just curious as to if Will had planned all,along for The Red Dragon to 'free' Hannibal? If he'd tipped him off on what was going down? I think he did as portrayed by the look on Jacks face at the crime scene.

I guess 'if' it's picked up they'll be able to say Will captured Hannibal....as they do in the cannon.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
Awesome finale. Awesome show. Everything is awesome.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
That was a sweet finale

Thoughts on the entire series:

Season 1- Cool, but really wasn't into the whole killer of the week thing. And the fact that they were so far fetched and gimmicky... Especially the human body totem pole thing, but they were finding their footing so whatever.

Season 2- Really excellent season. Just very solid stuff

Season 3 part A- I wanted to die. All the abstract europe storyline. Kill me.  I also never bought Hannibal turning himself in for will. In the book, he toyed with Will and when Will finally got too close, just tried to take him out. Here, its this whole bromance thing and the whole "I can't live without you thing" never really worked for me. It just muddled the story a little imo.

Season 3 part B- The red dragon arc  :metal   Absolutely loved it. Everything was elevated. The writing, the concepts, the storyline, characters. Just utterly amazing

overall, a cool show and i was happy to have it
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 08:35:02 AM by Phoenix87x »

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
I just watched this whole series (in the span of like a week and a half :lol) and loooved it.
Some thoughts- I actually thought the third season was the weakest but still great. I agree about all the Europe stuff. I guess the whole Hannibal turning himself in thing was a bit hard to swallow, but it was just another excellent mindfuck. I haven't read the books (but know the story) so all the changes in the plot didn't bother me, and I did like the "bromance" aspect (and that final scene  :heart). I loved the development of their fucked up relationship and all the crazy psychological shit.
I didn't really like where things went with Alanna, and sort of found that hard to buy. She went flat to me.
Mason was amazing.
I wanted to punch Bedelia.
I hated Freddie at first but she grew on me.
For the most part I really liked the whole story with Jack and Bella, and when Hannibal brings her back to life- so intense. And that slap!
The whole red dragon arc was great, but I have to say I was soo pumped to see the tiger scene (which was maybe my favorite scene in Manhunter) and hugely disappointed by it in the show. It just didn't have the same power to me.
I actually liked the "killer of the week" aspect of the first season (though some stories were weaker than others) and seeing Will's process in action with all of the different crazies. I thought the totem pole was awesome, and the fact that it was this old man's "legacy" was cool. And Tobias, that weirdo :lol
It was interesting to see some familiar faces and little nods to Fuller's other shows, like George from Dead Like Me being that Georgia girl with Cotard's Syndrome.
So good. Kinda sad it's over.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
I didn't really like where things went with Alanna, and sort of found that hard to buy. She went flat to me.

I'd always fought to put my finger on how I felt about how Alanna 'evolved' after it all went down and you nailed it. She went flat....that's the perfect way to describe it. Like you said, it was hard to buy because prior to that her character was much more robust and multi dimensional.

I loved the series....am bummed that there seems to be nothing on the horizon to continue it. I think it'd have been neat to watch the entire story but what they gave us was pretty friggin' cool IMO.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
Yeah, my understanding was they couldn't get the rights to Silence of the Lambs. Oh well.
And yeah, she went from lots of substance to just... meh. I didn't buy who she was supposed to be anymore, and her "badness" was so not exciting or believable.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
Thoughts on the films:

1. Manhunter- I truly love this movie. From the mood, to the soundtrack to the cinematography. Will Peterson is fascinating as Graham and so is Tom Noone as the tooth fairy. I will without hesitation admit that Cox does not work as lector. Its just not what it needs to be, and that's not a slight against cox, since he is a great actor. It just is lacking. Other than that I pretty much worship this movie. This film is kind of the black sheep of the series for its lack of Hopkins, but if people dismiss it for that alone, they are missing out. And honestly if Hopkins would have been in this film at the time it was made, I think people would hold it in higher regard.

2. Silence- even though I am obsessed with manhunter, I will admit this is the best one. Manhunter is incredible to me, but it is missing hopkins lector, and Tony Hopkins is really what brings silence to the next level. Also, What is genius about this movie is how much it plays it strait. Its like I am watching a documentary, since it feels so real. The score is very subtle, as is the cinematography. It feels so real and that's what makes it terrifying, because there are these monsters in the real world. Its an actually real world threat.  I love films with strong women, whether its Ripley, sarah connor or Clarice. And clarice fights for and earns her success. because she endured and overcame adversity, she earned my respect. Respect will not be given if unearned.  She literally descends into the hell of Buffalo bills basement and emerges stronger than she was before and emerges to success and accomplishment. In short, I love this movie.

3. Hannibal- Highly entertaining, I won't take that away from it, but its kind of a joke IMO. The author of the series Thomas harris notoriously takes FOREVER to write his shit, but after the smash success of lambs. The studio pretty much put a gun to his head and was like "WE WANT NEW BOOK" and in a way I think Harris trolled them. Read the book and you find stuff like Cattle prod lesbian prostate milking sperm jacking and hypnotized clarice mischa madness and a corrupt FBI out to get Clarice. Wut... Its feels wildly removed from what we had before with Red dragon and lambs, which are way more down to earth and believable. Scott directs is in the theatrical and stylized manner and it feels like I am watching a movie. And This is where hopkins stopped feeling like lector too IMO. He's 10 years older so there's that, and he just doesn't feel the same. Moore does a decent job as starling, but its not foster. No one can capture that except foster. Foster had strength but mixed with kindness. Moore is kinda playing it as an alpha bitch, but whatever. Its still a very entertaining film. And where the fuck is crawford? He was one of my favorite characters and his absence is felt for sure.

- I would have preferred a film were clarice is still looking for lector, but must consult with will graham to get insight on how to catch him. So in a way, the two work together to catch him and maybe even just kill him once and for all. but what evs

4. Yeah, red dragon... Some people like it, I personally don't. I find this film dry and strait forward (which is typically of Ratner's directing) Elfman's score makes me feel like I'm in a nightmare before christmas... I think hopkins just wanted a payday since this is a FAR CRY from what he brought in Lambs, despite this being before lambs in the time line. He's looks tired and bored. And it feels like he's playing a caricature of lector instead of lector. Its just not the same. Also, a vital mistake is that since everybody gets wet for lector, the shoved him into more scenes to give the people what they want. And he overstays his welcome a little bit. That's the genius of lambs, he's literally in the film for like 10 mins seriously. But you leave the film unable to think about anything except hopkins performance. Sometimes less is more and in lambs he left you wanting more.

Norton is very wrong as Gramn. People want to bitch about hopkins not being in Manhunter, well I'm gonna bitch about peterson not being in Red Dragon. I would have loved to see will peterson and hopkins face to face in a red dragon film. I love edward norton, but I feel like he's miscast here. He's not tortured with the these serial killer thoughts in his head. He plays gramn like just some normal guy. WTF   The gramn character is a person with a unique gift of being able to empathize with the the serial killer mindset, but this burden brings him to the breaking point, and everday that he works as an FBI agent, he rides the fine line of sanity and madness. I don't get that from Norton's performance. Now all that being said, I think ray fiennes does an incredible job. That's the films saving grace.

So if you actually read all that, Ty. I had to spill these thoughts onto the page. But anyway on to what all this is about:

Because of these films, and how much they have meant to me throughout my life, I am now actively preparing to apply to the FBI. Being an active member and contributor to the work of the behavior science unit is a new goal I would like to accomplish in my life.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 11:36:04 AM by Phoenix87x »

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
There's a Clarice show now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsjoRzezy4I

I'll check it out for sure