Author Topic: Recording question  (Read 1046 times)

Offline Aefenwelg

Recording question
« on: May 04, 2014, 03:44:25 PM »
Hello fellow music making people,

Let's say I want to record some songs that are just acoustic guitar and my voice.

What would be a good setup to do this, from start to finish?
Assume I know nothing about recording, because I pretty much don't. Please be as detailed as possible.

I'm talking about, what kind of mics would I use? Should I use some kind of program? What's the deal with mixing/mastering?
All those types of things.

Thanks to any responders.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Recording question
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2014, 06:29:28 PM »
What gear do you have if any ?

Could you record it into your iPhone / Smartphone if you're not arsed about quality ?

Most computers allow you to plug any old shitty mic into them and record..

Do you have *any* recording software / hardware at all ?

You don't want to spend £500 on Logic Pro and a nice AKG 414 & Audio Interface I assume ?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2014, 06:31:32 PM »
If you aren't bothered about quality - you can get small portable recording devices like MiniDisc or alternatives which could record to MP3 which you might be able to

save to SD or sync to your computer ?

This is an area i'm not clued up on though.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2014, 10:02:54 AM »
You'll most likely need a preamp. A friend of mine (who is big into music production) uses an ART tube preamp. I also have one of these for the eventuality of recording accoustic instruments (and for jamming when using my hifi as the monitors. He also uses a program called Ardour (but as far as I know, that's only on Linux), but I generally record bass parts on an H4N Zoom and send them to him (it's a handly little recording device, mine gets heavy use).
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2014, 11:45:29 AM »
If you have a mac, experiment with Garage Band. You can plug a guitar or mic into your computer if you have the right stuff to do so, or even just use the internal mic on your computer. Sorry to be broad, but I pretty much only know how to use Garage Band and I happen to have all the right chords and stuff to plug my instruments in. Sometimes I go through my mixing board (as in, plug my mic or instrument into my mixing board and then send a chord from my mixing board's out to the input on my computer).

Offline Aefenwelg

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2014, 09:46:18 PM »
I have recorded with the on-board mic and another not really good mic, both to Audacity.

They both didn't sound as, I guess, full? as I wanted.

I want these recordings to sound like songs, not just a person recording themselves playing, if that makes sense.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2014, 12:15:01 AM »
Shure SM 58 microphones are pretty cheap and not bad.

I have a Placid Audio Copperphone, but that's more what you would use if you want to sound like an old 30s jazz or blues recording (I love it).
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D