Author Topic: Mister Gold's Top 50 Albums - "Here at the End of All Things"  (Read 46784 times)

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
Hey everyone! Looks like I'll finally be starting my Top 50 Albums thread! :metal I limited myself to only allowing two albums per band on the list, so that way the list wouldn't just be full of the same few bands. I'll try to get through this quickly so others can go ahead after I'm done. :tup

That being said, here we go! :metal

Mister Gold's Top Fifty Albums

50. DragonForce – The Power Within (2012)

I wasn’t actually very surprised when I heard about ZP leaving the band, as an argument between him and Herman and Sam was documented in an article I had read in Guitar World magazine. I had a fair bit of fun watching the online auditions that popped up afterwards. Quite a few of them were hilariously bad; one example included an eight year old boy who could only hit the high notes because he hadn’t hit puberty yet. There were also plenty of female singers who tried out who could hit the notes, but were clearly non-professional singers and sounded awful otherwise. But the funniest example was definitely this pair of Russian twins who dressed up in tuxedos and sang “Through the Fire and Flames” in deep bass voices, polka-style.

That said, there were a few decent auditions out there. The first guy I saw that I thought had a chance at getting the gig was this blonde-haired dude named Marc Hudson. I remember thinking of Michael Kiske when I saw his audition videos for the first time, though that’s probably because Marc was wearing a Helloween t-shirt in those videos. I won’t say that I knew that Marc was going to get the gig, as there were several other really great auditions, but he was immediately my top candidate and the guy I figured the band would pick. I actually had a couple of brief exchanges with him via YouTube comments during those audition periods and he came across as a really nice guy. So I was very happy to see that he had indeed gotten the gig a year or two later.

Now for the album itself… well, The Power Within is hardly a groundbreaking album. It’s pretty standard as far as DragonForce goes. But I rank it as my favorite of theirs for a few reasons. Obviously I connected with it because of Marc, who I feel ended up becoming an improvement over ZP Theart, but I also loved that the band finally made an effort to cut back on all of the pointless, wanky instrumental sections and focused on the quality of the songs. Heck, I liked that they made sure not to use the phrase “So far away” at any point in the album too.

49. Opeth – Still Life (1999)

I’m a casual Opeth fan. I like them, but they’ve never really made the album that I personally want out of them. I normally prefer clean vocals over screams or growls, but unfortunately the only two Opeth albums to only have clean vocals are their most mellow and non-metal albums. I don’t mind that, but I think Opeth is at their best when they’re heavy. It says a lot that my favorite song by them is their cover of “Remember Tomorrow” by Iron Maiden.

Still Life is the band’s best work, bar none. It’s heavy as hell, it’s inspired and energetic and you can feel the passion that Mikael injected into it. While growls aren’t normally my thing, Mikael does them rather well on this album. There's a palpable energy that accompanies the album. I'd probably rank it higher if I listened to it more often. We'll see where it ends up next time around. :hat

48. Black Country Communion – Afterglow (2012)

I think many of us will agree that it was a damn shame that this band didn’t last very long. I enjoyed all three albums and I always wanted to see them live, but alas, the band imploded just as this album came out. That said, the friction that led to the band’s destruction also resulted in their best album.

Afterglow is a darker and heavier affair than the preceding BCC albums. You can feel the frustrations that went on between Glenn Hughes and Joe Bonamassa in the music. It’s rather explosive. I also like Derek Sherinian's work on the album. :tup

47. Dio – Dream Evil (1987)

I think Holy Diver is overrated. There, I said it. It was between Dream Evil and The Last in Line for me, but while the latter album had its title track, I feel that Dream Evil had more highlights for me. Its title track echoes back to Dio’s days in Rainbow with Ritchie Blackmore and while Sunset Superman has a pretty dumb chorus, I love the verses and the guitar work on that song. Of course there’s also the album’s highlight, All the Fools Sailed Away, which rivals The Last in Line as my favorite Dio song.

46. Slayer - Hell Awaits (1985)

I’m not a Slayer fan by any means, but I am quite fond of this album. It’s a lot smarter than I think one would expect a Slayer album to be. I still remember listening to this album for the first time while Skyping with a friend of mine and then suddenly flipping out on him when Crypts of Eternity came on. It’s easily the best song the band has ever done. I’m also sure that my friend was probably laughing his ass off at my reaction to the album. It’s great.

While I like that the band has the likes of Gary Holt in their band now, I sincerely doubt that they will ever come close to making another album as good as this. To put it simply, Hell Awaits is Slayer's masterpiece.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 08:31:05 PM by Mister Gold »
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

Re: Mister Gold's Top 50 Albums - "You'll dream evil!"
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2014, 01:20:40 PM »
Woah. As I opened up this thread, I was listening to Still Life. :lol Not my favorite Opeth album, but a hella good one. :metal

I've only heard the first BCC album once and liked it a lot from what I remember, but found it a shame that they had split. :'( Still gotta get more into them.

which rivals The Last in Line as my favorite Dio song.
:hifive:

Dio was/is such an impact on me and my musical taste while first getting into metal. Dream Evil is fantastic.

Stellar picks overall, and I enjoyed the write-ups too. :tup Will be following obviously.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2014, 01:33:07 PM »
Still Life  :metal

Great start, MG!  Going forward would you mind adding the release year of the albums in the post?
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2014, 01:50:11 PM »
Still Life  :metal

Great start, MG!  Going forward would you mind adding the release year of the albums in the post?

Sure thing! I just went back and added the release years for the albums I've already posted. :tup
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2014, 02:56:02 PM »
Well, I'm 1 from 5 there. Dream Evil is a great album - as good as the first 3 DIO albums for me and none have bettered it since.

I've heard all the others so far but not a fan. I did however enjoy ZP's I Am I album  after he left Dragonforce. BCC were a big let down. I expected so much more, but like Chickenfoot the sum wasn't greater than the parts. And I hate Glenn Hughes voice.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2014, 03:52:39 PM »
Dream Evil is a great album - as good as the first 3 DIO albums for me and none have bettered it since
What about Lock Up the Wolves? That, to me, was the last great Dio album. It has really aged well.

M-Gold, Holy Diver is NOT overrated. I'm fine if you prefer Dream Evil. It a solid album that I feel is fairly underrated, but C'mon Man!

I like Hell Awaits too. THAT INTRO!! :metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2014, 04:00:37 PM »
5 from 5 for me.  Great start. 
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2014, 04:38:55 PM »
Respect for including DragonForce.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2014, 07:37:18 PM »
Like Lowdz I'm one from five here (Dio) but I like the look of where this is going.

And like TAC I really rate the under appreciated Lock Up The Wolves - not for the   plodding Sabbath style tracks but the more upbeat and melodic stuff like Hey Angel, Walk On Water, Wild One, Why Are They Watching Me ..........and Rowan slays on it.  Shame about all the filler - like most of his albums.  In terms of the full album rating I'd probably next go with Sacred Heart to be honest - another low rated album by most it seems.  It doesn't contain a whole lot of favourites but less filler.

Having said that :neverusethis:  .............I agree that Holy Diver is over rated.  I love Stand Up & Shout, Don't Talk To Strangers and Rainbow In The Dark ( 3 classics) but I find the rest is meh!!  If I saw it in a store I'd only pay a holy fiver. ;D

Actually I'm 2 of 5 .................I have a few BCC albums but never got around to listening to them , so a "maybe" there.  Opeth , Slayer and DF don't do much for me .

Good start  :tup

« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 08:15:45 PM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2014, 08:15:51 PM »
I actually might put up Lock Up The Wolves on the list next time around. I like what I've heard off of it, but I haven't listened to it in its entirety. I do remember hearing in an old Dio interview that he considered Rowan to be the absolute best guitarist to have ever been in his solo band (and this was after the 1992 Black Sabbath reunion, so Rowan wasn't in his band anymore).
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2014, 11:12:19 PM »
Huge props for The Power Within. I love how much more diverse their songs on that album are - sure, you have the insane speediness of songs like Fallen World, but you also have mit-tempo numbers like Cry Thunder, or the instrumental break in Die By the Sword - heck, you even have some thrashy qualities in Give Me the Night! Yeah, it's not groundbreaking, but it's a huge step-up from their last few albums with ZP - it might even be better than Valley of the Damned, though they're both very good.

Good call on the others. For some reason, I have never really gotten into Dio, but the rest are stellar. Props for including Hell Awaits, which I feel is quite overlooked, and unjustly so, among the behemoths that are Reign in Blood, South of Heaven and Seasons in the Abyss.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
Re: Mister Gold's Top 50 Albums - "CONSUUUMMMMEEEEDDD"
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2014, 11:52:55 AM »

45. King Diamond – Abigail (1987)

What can I say? It’s King Diamond. His voice is definitely an acquired taste, but once you get used to it, you love it. His theatricality is wonderful and the band accompanying him is no slouch either. In particular, Andy LaRocque is an insane guitarist. Not to mention that terrific Romantic-period horror story that makes up the album!

I've always been a fan of that type of old school gothic horror story, and as you'll see with future albums in the list, I'm also a big fan of good concept albums. When done right, I think there's a special sort of cohesiveness that comes with great concept albums. Whether that's because they tell an ongoing story or not, I'm not entirely sure, but it adds a nice touch to an album.

44. Anthrax – Spreading the Disease (1985)

I’m pretty new to Anthrax, so I didn’t want to rank them too highly just yet. That being said, I wouldn’t be surprised if this album or another one of their albums were put in a much higher position the next time I do a Top 50 Albums list. I’m actually a little surprised that I picked this album as my representative of the band in the list. I was initially more impressed with The Persistence of Time, but Spreading the Disease seems to have more staying power with me right now. Perhaps it's because of Belladonna's performance on the album? I dunno, but it gets my pick for this go-around at least. :tup

43. Kreator – Pleasure to Kill (1986)

Kreator is another band that I’m relatively new to and I will probably rank this album higher in future lists, as I've very much enjoyed what I've heard off of it. I had heard a couple of tracks off of their most recent album a couple years ago and had been meaning to check out their previous works for some time, but had never gotten around to doing so.

What set me over the edge? The series finale for How I Met Your Mother.

I was so pissed after I had read what had happened in the ending of that show that I immediately went over to YouTube and randomly picked out a Kreator album. As I told a friend of mine the following day, I was so angry that I needed to listen to "an obscure German thrash metal band to properly vent out my rage." Sure enough, Pleasure to Kill did the trick.

42. Helloween – The Dark Ride (2000)

I’ve said it elsewhere not too long ago, but The Dark Ride is Helloween’s greatest album. Forget Walls of Jericho and forget the Keeper albums, this is where it’s at for Helloween. The run of albums from Master of the Rings to The Dark Ride is perhaps the most underrated and greatest period in Helloween’s career. It’s certainly the band’s best lineup. Thankfully it went out on a high note with this album.

What Andi Deris lacks in comparison to Michael Kiske's incredible vocal prowess, he makes up for with incredible songwriting. That isn't to say that he's a slouch vocally either. As others can testify, Deris can usually do justice to Kiske's songs and he's generally on fire whenever it's his own music that he sings over. Unsurprisingly, I think his best performance is on this album. :metal

41. Control Denied – The Fragile Art of Existence (1999)

As you’ll see later on in this list, I love Death. Chuck Schuldiner is possibly my all-time favorite metal guitarist and songwriter. The way I see it, he was to heavy metal what Stanley Kubrick was to filmmaking. This is hardly the best album Chuck ever worked on, but it has plenty of great material. While Chuck lived long enough to record all of his parts for the yet-to-be-released follow-up Control Denied album, I find it eerily fitting that the last song fans heard from him in his lifetime was the title track off this album. It almost feels as if he had come full circle.

Speaking of that second Control Denied album, I'm really hopeful that the surviving band members will eventually get the opportunity to finish it and release it. You can actually listen to four unfinished tracks off the album on YouTube, due to a pretty nasty legal issue that the band had to struggle with over the course of the previous decade. The sound quality is awful and the titles deserve more original names than just "Tracks 1 - 4," but it's worth checking out. If they ever finish and release it, I think that album could potentially go on to be recognized as Chuck's masterpiece.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 11:59:47 AM by Mister Gold »
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2014, 12:16:12 PM »
Nice update - I rate the Anthrax, Helloween, King Diamond ...............I've heard a bit of Kreator over the years but can't remember what I thought tbh.  Control Denied I haven't heard and will check out.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline adace

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2014, 12:18:13 PM »
Pretty interesting picks so far. Following. :tup

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2014, 12:48:14 PM »
God damn you have some awesome tastes! :tup I love all of those albums, and yay for Pleasure to Kill! I'm not sure what would be my favourite Kreator album, but Pleasure to Kill is definitely up there, along with Coma of Souls and Enemy of God, probably.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2014, 01:13:02 PM »
God damn you have some awesome tastes! :tup I love all of those albums, and yay for Pleasure to Kill! I'm not sure what would be my favourite Kreator album, but Pleasure to Kill is definitely up there, along with Coma of Souls and Enemy of God, probably.

Thanks man! :tup And yeah, Pleasure to Kill is awesome! I'll definitely be checking out more of Kreator's albums over the summer, but I'd be really impressed if I found another album of theirs that impresses me as much as PtK has. :metal
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2014, 01:14:33 PM »
Enemy of God was the first album I heard, so I kinda have a soft spot for that, and Coma of Souls has two of my favourite Kreator tracks ever in When the Sun Burns Red and Terror Zone, but yeah, in terms of consistency, I think I have to give that one to PtK as well. :metal

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2014, 02:48:52 PM »
4 out of 5 in the 2nd batch. Some great stuff there. Abigail, Spreading The Disease, Control Denied and Dark ride are all top notch.

Well played sir.

And TAC, I don't like Lock Up The Wolves at all. Wasn't a fan of the guitarist but mainly the songs were shit. Revisited it a while ago and it was still shit.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2014, 03:18:10 PM »
Spreading the Disease   :metal :metal :metal  A.I.R.   :tup 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2014, 03:46:28 PM »
Abigail  :metal

Dark Ride is classic, Kreator are killer, and that Control Denied is amazing.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2014, 04:55:31 PM »
Wow, that was a LOUD update!

My favorite of the bunch would be Spreading The Disease.

Control Denied is very good too.

I was NOT a fan of King Diamond back in the day. In fact, I went to two of his club shows back in the late 80's only to leave before he came on. I had gone solely for the opening bands each time ( Armored Saint and Flotsam & Jetsam. About 5 years ago, I finally dived in with both feet on King Diamond. I really wasn't into his shtick back in the day. I like Abigail well enough. It's a good metal album.

I've also warmed up to Deris era Helloween in the last couple of years. Yes, the Dark Ride is a great album, but I am most definitely a Keepers guy.

And TAC, I don't like Lock Up The Wolves at all. Wasn't a fan of the guitarist but mainly the songs were shit. Revisited it a while ago and it was still shit.
:lol
That's cool.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2014, 02:09:52 PM »
very cool picks!  Dio, Anthrax, and Helloween are the standouts from the list for me.

No way is Holy Diver overated!!

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
Re: Mister Gold's Top 50 Albums - "You electrify my life"
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2014, 04:31:43 PM »

40. Iced Earth – Night of the Stormrider (1992)

I’m sure Zook could probably do a better job in describing this album’s greatness, but this is my list. John Greely is terrific on this album and Jon Schaffer never sounded more inspired than he did on this album. Despite the great talents Schaffer would enlist on future albums in singers such as Matt Barlow or Tim Owens, or even former Death members such as drummer Richard Christy and bassist Steve DiGiorgio, Iced Earth has never topped this album.

As I mentioned in the previous entry with King Diamond's Abigail, I feel that well-done concept albums have a tendency to have a wonderful cohesiveness that regular albums don't have. While Stormrider has a relatively simple story, it is an effective one: a mighty warrior becomes disillusioned with the religious people of the world and becomes seduced by the dark powers of the world, which results in him bringing about the end of the world and he marches right on into his doomed fate of perdition. This straight-forward plot results in the album sounding and, more importantly, feeling like an old apocalyptic fable.

39. Dream Theater – Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence (2002)

Dream Theater is not my favorite band, nor are they close to being my favorite. That being said, I do like a great deal of their work and recognize the band’s talents. No other album in the band’s discography shows that talent off as much, or as well, as Six Degrees. In many ways, this album is the band’s magnum opus. It's an incredibly ambitious album. 

I usually list it as my favorite by the band, but lately I have found myself more drawn to another one of their albums...

38. Dream Theater – Awake (1994)

Awake is not as technically challenging or complex as Six Degrees is, but it is definitely the band’s best album. It’s rife with atmosphere and interesting songs. The band isn’t showing off here, but instead are playing some really complex and yet tasty music. This is also easily the best performance James LaBrie ever gave with the band. But I think a big part of why I now rank this as my favorite Dream Theater album is because of the finale; Space-Dye Vest. It’s so unlike the band and yet it’s my favorite song of theirs.

37. Pink Floyd – Dark Side of the Moon (1973)

This album is tied with Animals as my favorite Floyd album. I decided to go with Dark Side though, because of how well it all flows together. It is really a perfect musical journey from start-to-finish and transitions from song-to-song seamlessly. I feel like I should rank it much higher, due to its icon status, but I'm still in the process of really digesting this album. After all, while I love prog, I am definitely more of a metalhead at heart. So we'll see how Dark Side (and maybe even Animals) turns out in future lists...

36. Muse – Black Holes and Revelations (2006)

I love Muse. I was tempted to put Absolution in here instead, but Black Holes is definitely the superior album. It just flows together so well. I'm sure others have said it before, but Muse really come off as a modern blend of Queen and Pink Floyd. They have this great talent for writing really catchy, memorable quality songs that have more going on than you might realize.

While I know a lot of people aren't fond of Starlight, it's a personal favorite of mine. For starters, it got me into the band. But on another level, it speaks to me more than your average love song. I've always had a bit of a talent for thinking up various different stories and worlds, which is part of why I'm hoping to get a career in either creative writing or filmmaking. Starlight always makes me think of a personal favorite story of mine when I listen to it. So yeah, I'm a sucker for the song. :biggrin:
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2014, 04:40:18 PM »
Dude, our musical tastes are so similar it's scary! Are you sure you aren't my long-lost brother? :P

Yeah, two of my DT Top 3, Night of the Stormrider, BH&R... all great stuff. You fail for not mentioning Take a Bow, though, easily the best song on BH&R... though Starlight is pretty rad as well.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2014, 04:45:26 PM »
Dude, our musical tastes are so similar it's scary! Are you sure you aren't my long-lost brother? :P

Br-brother?  :justjen Is that you?! :biggrin:

Yeah, two of my DT Top 3, Night of the Stormrider, BH&R... all great stuff. You fail for not mentioning Take a Bow, though, easily the best song on BH&R... though Starlight is pretty rad as well.

Dude, Take a Bow IS awesome. I just wanted to give Starlight some credit, since it speaks to my inner muse, no pun intended. :tup
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2014, 04:47:59 PM »
Nice update.................I'll admit Muse do zero for me based on what I've heard but apart from that - I love Awake and DSOTM ,  SDOIT is a bit of a mixed bag for me (I like Disc 2 a lot more than Disc 1) and I got Night of the Stormrider based on Zook's review and haven't got around to listening to it properly yet.  Seems I need to get onto it.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2014, 06:44:58 PM »
Not really big on Muse, but the others are pure classic all around.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
Re: Mister Gold's Top 50 Albums - "OH, I SEE HIS FACE!"
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2014, 12:05:39 PM »

35. Tool - Lateralus (2001)

Like several other albums on this list, I only heard Lateralus for the first time a few months ago. However I've really come to love it more and more with each repeated listen in that short amount of time. This album isn’t just an album; it’s an experience. The artwork and the packaging is truly an accompaniment of the music inside.

It’s the Dark Side of the Moon of metal albums.

34. Crimson Glory - Transcendence (1988)

While I often say that I prefer Midnight over Geoff Tate, I’ll admit that Queensryche is the superior band to Crimson Glory. That being said, Transcendence is a terrific album. There’s excellent musicianship and songwriting all the way through, but let’s face it: the star of this album is undoubtedly Midnight. He gives one of the absolute greatest vocal performances in metal history on this album. His silky smooth pipes shriek and slither all around the music and truly allow the album to ‘transcend’ into being something very special.

While I've included Transcendence on this list, I feel that the self-titled debut is very good too and has some of the band's best moments.

33. Kamelot – Karma (2001)

I’m a big fan of Roy Khan. His voice is gold. In my opinion, Karma was the first real classic album to come from Kamelot. While The Fourth Legacy has some great moments on it, I think Karma was really the album where Kamelot became Kamelot. It’s quite consistent and has some terrific highlights. The title track, Forever and the Elizabeth Bathory trilogy are all some of the best power metal songs ever.

32. King Crimson – Red (1974)

I was rather surprised when I found out that the singer from Asia did the lead vocals on this album. Wetton sounds very different here than on “Heat of the Moment,” to say the least. That said, I love the music off this album. If you ask me, Robert Fripp is an incredibly underrated guitarist. His work on this album is positively chaotic. Not to mention the sublime work done by drummer Bill Bruford. I'm not entirely sure if this is his best album or not, as I am also quite partial to his work on Yes's Fragile and Close to the Edge, but he certainly does a great job here.

31. Rainbow - Rising (1976)

This album, along with a few other albums, has drastically swayed back and forth in its ranking in my various drafts for this list over the past year. It’s a classic, there’s no denying that. It’s also Rainbow’s finest album, though my favorite song of theirs is Gates of Babylon. I think my trouble with ranking Rising stems from the fact that most of my favorite work from Ronnie James Dio stems from his Black Sabbath albums. On the one hand, this lineup of Rainbow is certainly a more technically talented band than either of the two incarnations of Sabbath that Dio fronted. But on the other, the songs that came out of the Dio-era of Sabbath are positively classic.

Who knows where this album will be on future lists from me? I certainly enjoy it a great deal and I'd wager that it'd probably move up the list with more time.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2014, 12:16:10 PM »
Plenty to like there once again - for me Crimson Glory and Kamleot mostly.  I love stargazer but the rest of Rising doesn't do much for me.     Tool and King Crimson ain't really to my taste .

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2014, 01:46:03 PM »
Rising was top 5 for me so  :tup. Where Power metal was invented. I agree on Gates Of Babylon too, but not on your opinion of Dio's Sabbath albums. For me if you join the best songs from both on one album it would be a top 10 for me, but both have plenty of filler.

Transcendence is a great Queensryche-esque album.  :tup :tup. I'd take 80s/early 90s Tate over Midnight as I really only like two of their albums (the other being Strange & Beautiful) and he always seemed to be "full on". And Queensryche were my favourite band at that time.

And Karma is my favourite Kamelot album so  :tup :tup  :tup

Just can't get into Tool or King Crimson.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2014, 03:08:04 PM »
Let me pick up on that slack. Those Tool and King Crimson albums are fantastic. Excellent choices. :tup

Rainbow as well :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2014, 03:22:44 PM »
4 out of 5 for me.  I could never really get into King Crimson either.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2014, 03:37:31 PM »
When I saw the new thread title, I instantly knew that it was something I was familiar with - heck, I was even singing the phrase in my head! - but I didn't remember until I finished reading your update that it was from Stargazer. Which is an awesome track with a godlike solo.

The rest are pretty cool, though I'd say this is the weakest update for me. I like Red, but for various reasons, I have never really gotten around to checking out Crimson Glory and Kamelot (I know, I know!), and Tool STILL haven't clicked with me. I hear lots of things I like, but I never really feel the urge to revisit their stuff all that much.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2014, 03:50:22 PM »
I like Rising, but really, there's only two great songs on it.

Offline adace

« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2014, 03:53:05 PM »
Not really into Crimson Glory, but the other four are fantastic.