Author Topic: Have you ever cried due to a DT song? Wich song was that? And why?  (Read 20131 times)

Offline Nachtmerrie

Re: Have you ever cried due to a DT song? Wich song was that? And why?
« Reply #140 on: September 14, 2017, 01:04:53 PM »
The Best of Times the first time I heard it after my mother died. The theme of the song and JP's solo brought me to tears.

Offline Drinktheater

« Reply #141 on: September 15, 2017, 08:56:29 AM »
I must say I never realized how many of DT songs mention dying or living forever, even re listening to Images and Words for the Australian tour next week, there is a lot.
Why this is especially sad for me at the moment is my Mother passed very suddenly the night after I purchased DT tickets for Sydney, so it is a sad time all around, and also
late last month was 25 years since my Dad passed (also suddenly when I was sixteen) but I am reminded more as I listen to some tracks, at the end of the day, we all put our
own interpretation of each song, and ordinarily the lyrics wouldn't faze me that way but I do find I am skipping Pull me Under, and I know that will be played at each concert...
shesh I am having a cry now typing this. In time it will be okay, just right now, maybe I wish more of their lyrics were Sunshine and Roses.... Parents passing is never easy for anyone.
Saying that for the most part I&W is great, I have a new appreciation for Kevin Moore and JP as always outstanding...
The concerts in Melbourne and Sydney have given me something to focus on and take my mind off it.  :smiley:

I am really sorry for your loss man. I don't know how I will deal with that. So you purchased both concerts Melbourne and Sydney? 

And about the songs DT will perform I am not sure if you already know the set list I don't want to spoil it. I would just say there are really some touchy songs there.
And she listens openly

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #142 on: September 18, 2017, 07:11:19 PM »
My grandfather was EVERYTHING to me, he took care of me since I was a 2 years old kid. I love him with the deepest love one can have for another human being, whenhe died back in 2006 I was deeply devastated as I watched him died in his room at the hospital coincidentally I was listening to The Spirit Carries On on my iPod, everu single time I listen to that song I cried remembering my grandpa. I love you old man.

Offline toky_world

• MP.COM Refugee
« Reply #143 on: September 18, 2017, 11:06:24 PM »
Almost with Shattered Fortress tour "The Glass Prison" .

It was the strangest thing,

Offline Chris Hinton

« Reply #144 on: September 19, 2017, 08:56:21 AM »
Dream Theater -- Disappear.  The last lyrics ("I gave you my hand, I said its ok letting go time to leave here  ...  Let him come and take you home.")  are almost word-for-word the last thing I said to my dad before he passed away.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #145 on: September 19, 2017, 10:45:50 AM »
In high school, my girlfriend was late and I thought I was going to be a dad.

I remember sitting on the school bus, sort of gently sobbing, and listening to Six Degrees. I really thought my life was over.

There's a sample in Goodnight Kiss of a baby crying somewhere. Pretty sure that's what triggered me.  :lol

Offline Bertie_Wooster

« Reply #146 on: September 20, 2017, 10:13:40 PM »
The part that made me the most emotional was the last minute of "Illumination theory"

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #147 on: September 21, 2017, 07:54:15 AM »
I try to avoid Disappear like the plague. That song hits way too close to home. I'd probably flood the room with tears. :lol
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Evai

« Reply #148 on: September 21, 2017, 08:00:22 AM »
I used to feel emotional about Ministry Of Lost Souls, but nowadays I don't feel anything for it :/ Might have had something to do with hearing Petrucci say it's just a story he made up about someone drowning.
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline lucky7

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #149 on: September 22, 2017, 12:12:52 AM »
I must say I never realized how many of DT songs mention dying or living forever, even re listening to Images and Words for the Australian tour next week, there is a lot.
Why this is especially sad for me at the moment is my Mother passed very suddenly the night after I purchased DT tickets for Sydney, so it is a sad time all around, and also
late last month was 25 years since my Dad passed (also suddenly when I was sixteen) but I am reminded more as I listen to some tracks, at the end of the day, we all put our
own interpretation of each song, and ordinarily the lyrics wouldn't faze me that way but I do find I am skipping Pull me Under, and I know that will be played at each concert...
shesh I am having a cry now typing this. In time it will be okay, just right now, maybe I wish more of their lyrics were Sunshine and Roses.... Parents passing is never easy for anyone.
Saying that for the most part I&W is great, I have a new appreciation for Kevin Moore and JP as always outstanding...
The concerts in Melbourne and Sydney have given me something to focus on and take my mind off it.  :smiley:

I am really sorry for your loss man. I don't know how I will deal with that. So you purchased both concerts Melbourne and Sydney? 

And about the songs DT will perform I am not sure if you already know the set list I don't want to spoil it. I would just say there are really some touchy songs there.

I was okay, there was a couple of points of songs with James singing that I was close, but all round it was a happy occasion. Great to take my mind off the last couple of months.
I was just wanting this year to be over, but DT did bring me back to happiness as well. 

Offline Drinktheater

« Reply #150 on: September 22, 2017, 05:10:01 AM »

I was okay, there was a couple of points of songs with James singing that I was close, but all round it was a happy occasion. Great to take my mind off the last couple of months.
I was just wanting this year to be over, but DT did bring me back to happiness as well.

I am glad you have recovered and enjoyed the show.

Hey I just have a question somewhat OT, its about the Meet and greet have you purchased the VIP Platinum upgrade or the VIP with Meet and greet what time do they usually start this.

I am asking because I have purchased for the Manila concert on the 25th but Songkick says they still dont have the schedule.

I know it is mostly likely a pre show M&G I just want to have an idea how early I should be at the venue.
And she listens openly

Offline earlilano

« Reply #151 on: September 22, 2017, 01:47:31 PM »
I remember seeing The Astonishing live after a 4 year hiatus from listening to any DT music. When I bought my tickets for the show, I decided not to listen to the album or any other DT song prior to the show. I wanted to feel what I felt when I first listened to DT. During the show for some weird reason I just started crying. I've never cried at a concert before but the music just moved me in ways that I did not think was possible.

Offline Dreammajesty

• mp.com refugee
« Reply #152 on: September 24, 2017, 03:36:31 AM »
I have no particular song but during a concert it could be an part of  an solo Petrucci is playing and i have to bite my tongue not bursting into tears.I think it's mainly because i realize they've been there for me for over 20years.Can't help it   :'(

Offline lucky7

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #153 on: September 24, 2017, 10:19:26 PM »

I am glad you have recovered and enjoyed the show.

Hey I just have a question somewhat OT, its about the Meet and greet have you purchased the VIP Platinum upgrade or the VIP with Meet and greet what time do they usually start this.

I am asking because I have purchased for the Manila concert on the 25th but Songkick says they still dont have the schedule.

I know it is mostly likely a pre show M&G I just want to have an idea how early I should be at the venue.

I purchased the Platinum and our concert was starting at 7.30pm and the meet and greet was at 5pm.
You may have an email now, they should send them out a week before to allow for travelling fans, but usually just 2 days before.
Enjoy the Meet and Greet!

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #154 on: October 13, 2017, 04:08:54 PM »
I try to avoid Disappear like the plague. That song hits way too close to home. I'd probably flood the room with tears. :lol

Hits really close to home for me too.  I listened to it for the first time in a long time a few months ago, about a year after my GF died.  Yeah, I cried my fuckin' eyes out.  After that, I haven't listened to it since.

Dream Theater -- Disappear.  The last lyrics ("I gave you my hand, I said its ok letting go time to leave here  ...  Let him come and take you home.")  are almost word-for-word the last thing I said to my dad before he passed away.

I never said those words, but I was holding my GF's hand as she passed.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline DT1138

« Reply #155 on: November 15, 2017, 12:16:29 PM »
Take Away My Pain.

I know what the song is actually about, but for me it's about dealing with mind numbing chronic pain (migraines) that I have suffered with for 20 years and counting.  I could write a small book (and almost did) about everything I went thru, but kind of like the man in the song I've kind of reached a point in my life where I don't even try to fight it anymore and whatever happens will happen.  The music just gets to me, and I find it theraputic.

Offline Drinktheater

« Reply #156 on: November 18, 2017, 02:52:08 AM »
Take Away My Pain.

I know what the song is actually about, but for me it's about dealing with mind numbing chronic pain (migraines) that I have suffered with for 20 years and counting.  I could write a small book (and almost did) about everything I went thru, but kind of like the man in the song I've kind of reached a point in my life where I don't even try to fight it anymore and whatever happens will happen.  The music just gets to me, and I find it theraputic.

I kinda relate as I have chornic depression but man I feel for you chronic Migraines? I think I would rather have more depression than migraines.

Migraines are literally painful! If I have that I would really cry
And she listens openly

Offline DT1138

« Reply #157 on: November 19, 2017, 06:13:55 AM »
Take Away My Pain.

I kinda relate as I have chornic depression but man I feel for you chronic Migraines? I think I would rather have more depression than migraines.

Thanks...Yeah they suck, trust me.  Totally interfere with my life.  But I don't wish depression on anyone either.  One of my friends has been hospitalized for it.  I've had minor bouts with it as well (due to dealing with migraines and otherwise) and it's not fun.  I also have severe anxiety, which is a trip all by itself! 

Offline Drinktheater

« Reply #158 on: November 20, 2017, 10:51:20 PM »
Take Away My Pain.

Thanks...Yeah they suck, trust me.  Totally interfere with my life.  But I don't wish depression on anyone either.  One of my friends has been hospitalized for it.  I've had minor bouts with it as well (due to dealing with migraines and otherwise) and it's not fun.  I also have severe anxiety, which is a trip all by itself!

Yep had anxiety too doctor told me its a spectrum anyone who has clinical depression will have anxiety to some degree and vice versa good thing I don't have severe migraines but there are days I have a mild lingering head ache the doctor told its part of my illness as the chemical imbalance in the brain triggers it.

Oh well having said that and having to deal with all that mess is why I really reacted emotionally to the song Illumination theory specially the last movement "Surrender,Trust and Passion"
And she listens openly

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #159 on: December 06, 2017, 04:36:01 AM »
The second chorus of Bridges in The Sky, Beneath The Surface and that Illumination Theory part that people keep getting tattoos of.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #160 on: December 06, 2017, 07:20:51 PM »
Yep, seeing illumination Theory live did it for me. Beneath The Surface gets me every time as that was my wife's favorite DT song, she passed away 2 and a half years ago. Her name was Victoria, so it's nearly impossible for me to listen to TSCO, or even the rest of the Scenes album.
 The song Chosen gets me choked up because I know for sure she would have loved it!
There are other DT songs that give me goosebumps, such as Octavarium "The Razors Edge" segment, and the Grand Finale/Reprise of Six Degrees.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline pg1067

« Reply #161 on: December 07, 2017, 05:31:49 PM »
Notwithstanding the admonishment in the song not to cry, I have been known to get a bit choked up at the end of ACOS ("I sat down with my son...I've lived my life, but now must move on....").
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline 8GRND

« Reply #162 on: December 08, 2017, 08:17:09 PM »

But seriously, I cried when JLB sang the chorus right after Portnoy's rap.
"Don't bully me, I'm just in "Wenger stay" side." - 8GRND

Offline Evai

« Reply #163 on: December 09, 2017, 08:40:22 AM »
Prophets of war is a really good song. But I dunno if it'd make me cry (the pain in my left ear from that guitar squeal, before the last chorus isn't quite that bad)
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline 8GRND

« Reply #164 on: December 09, 2017, 09:24:30 AM »
Prophets of war is a really good song. But I dunno if it'd make me cry (the pain in my left ear from that guitar squeal, before the last chorus isn't quite that bad)

Maybe that also counts to my cry.  :lol
"Don't bully me, I'm just in "Wenger stay" side." - 8GRND

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #165 on: December 09, 2017, 12:10:09 PM »
The ending lyrics to Wait For Sleep are some of my favorite lyrics of all time, and for some reason they often get me right in the feels. KevMo really wrote the most poetic DT lyrics.

In with the ashes
And up with the smoke from the fire
Like wings up in heaven
Or here, lying in bed
Palm of her hand to my head
Now and forever curled
In my heart, and the heart of the world

Also, just the way James sings that last line is so moving and emotional, especially live, ESPECIALLY on this last tour (I&W25). Moments like that make me wonder how anyone can dislike him, or refer to DT as soulless.
Check out my various music projects - I’ve got concept albums, singer/songwriter, rock, metal, prog, and more coming soon:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline Drinktheater

« Reply #166 on: December 31, 2017, 12:07:17 PM »
I still get teary with Illumination theory!! I don't know if I will get use to it. Space Dye Vest gets me too
And she listens openly

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #167 on: December 31, 2017, 12:31:52 PM »
I haven't full-on cried during a DT song yet (and I don't think I've actually cried to a piece of music that wasn't classical), but Far From Heaven, Disappear, and Misunderstood all get me emotional. Misunderstood at least has that noise freak-out section at the end for a bit of emotional release. I don't really listen to those three songs on their own unless I'm in a crummy mood, usually just if I'm listening to ADToE or SDoIT all the way through.

Offline Sir Walrus Cauliflower

« Reply #168 on: January 01, 2018, 09:12:05 PM »
Yes, for me it's The Spirit Carries on. My Grandma died of lung cancer at age 71 just 2 days before Christmas last year. She was the epitome of what people should strive to be. She was as close to perfect as they get. My cousin is a guitarist and I'm a drummer (we're her only two grandsons) and we buried her with his guitar pick in her hands and one of my drumsticks by her side. I wrote out the lyrics to The Spirit Carries On (and re-wrote the Victoria's real section) and tied them around my drumstick, so every time I listen to it I can't help but cry.
I feel strangely honored to be following up a post from Sir Walrus Cauliflower.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #169 on: January 03, 2018, 02:38:47 PM »
“The best of times” and “Through her eyes” almost made me cry a little. The Best of Times because my grand father passed away around the same time the song came out and I got emotional listening to it. Through her eyes is nothing special about it. Just the beautiful melody when he sings “as her image wonders through my head...” that part always gets to me.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk