Author Topic: Have you ever cried due to a DT song? Wich song was that? And why?  (Read 20143 times)

Offline rosepetaljelly

Re: Have you ever cried due to a DT song? Wich song was that? And why?
« Reply #105 on: January 06, 2015, 06:54:36 AM »
About To Crash did it for me.

It's the desperation illustrated in this part:
He helplessly stands by
It's meaningless to try
As he rubs his red-rimmed eyes
He says I've never seen her get this bad

and then:
All she wants to do is cry
No one ever knew she was so sad.

The beautiful guitar riff right after only makes it worse.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #106 on: January 06, 2015, 09:57:31 AM »
"Disappear" has gotten me close. Actually, it was funny because I was reading a thread about sad DT songs a while back and people were only rating "Disappear" a 7/10 on the sadness scale. I thought, "What would a 10/10 be then?" :lol
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline took_the_time11

« Reply #107 on: January 11, 2015, 04:58:37 PM »
Solitary Shell always got me. It reminded me of me a bit. On the school bus the other morning, I had an emotional experience of sorts towards the end of SFAM. At One Last Time, I started getting nostalgic and thought about my friends and life in general. Really, it just became a manifestation of everything Dream Theater meant to me.
I know the Aries Code & I enjoy the right to date.

Offline pcs90

« Reply #108 on: September 20, 2015, 07:33:45 PM »
I rarely cry in general, but the songs that have almost caused me to do it are:
Illumination Theory (last movement...lyrics and the way James sings them are incredible together)
Beneath the Surface
State of Grace (from LTE Live in LA 2008)
The Spirit Carries On
Eve

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #109 on: September 21, 2015, 03:51:17 AM »
I don't think I've cried during a DT song, but the ones that got me really close are:

SDV (only the BTFW version)
TBOT acoustic intro and the outro
This is the Life
The Count of Tuscany acoustic section
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #110 on: September 21, 2015, 07:03:33 AM »
Nope.

Offline Dukeman678

« Reply #111 on: September 23, 2015, 11:15:01 AM »
Metropolis.  "Loooooove is the dance...of eternity" gets me every time.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #112 on: September 23, 2015, 01:34:25 PM »
I've gotten teary during Disappear a couple times. That last verse is just so emotional and if that song comes on during a time where I recently lost someone it definitely tugs at the heart strings a bit.

Offline progrockman

« Reply #113 on: September 23, 2015, 07:40:13 PM »
I almost cried when the music store wouldn't accept my return of SC and BCSL. It was a difficult time I don't want to talk about it anymore...

Offline theGonz

« Reply #114 on: September 24, 2015, 12:32:09 AM »
Almost everytime I listen to Goodnight Kiss and The Spirit Carries On I'll cry. Dissappear makes me weep WITHOUT FAIL.
*epic instrumental section*

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #115 on: September 24, 2015, 12:33:16 AM »
I almost cried when the music store wouldn't accept my return of SC and BCSL. It was a difficult time I don't want to talk about it anymore...

I cry every time I read rehashed unfunny jokes like this. ;)
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 12:47:45 AM by BlobVanDam »
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #116 on: September 24, 2015, 06:23:01 AM »

His lifespan on the DTF's isn't long enough for it to be repetitive, everyone's gotta have that first time!
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline progrockman

« Reply #117 on: September 24, 2015, 06:36:04 AM »

My apologies, serious internet guy  ;)

Offline simonso

« Reply #118 on: September 25, 2015, 06:13:44 AM »
the only two I can think of are
Dissapear and
acoustic section of The Count Of Tuscany that brings tears almost every time

Offline Drinktheater

« Reply #119 on: September 09, 2017, 11:40:00 AM »
About To Crash did it for me.

It's the desperation illustrated in this part:
He helplessly stands by
It's meaningless to try
As he rubs his red-rimmed eyes
He says I've never seen her get this bad

and then:
All she wants to do is cry
No one ever knew she was so sad.

The beautiful guitar riff right after only makes it worse.

I have suffered depression and yes About to crash and the reprise really gets me.

Specially this part.

Even though I get so high
I know that I can't fly
And when I fall out of the sky
Who'll be standing by

Will you be standing by

It just describes depression really well I can get by and fight the illness but I know I won't be fully cured hence "I will never fly". Actually just typing this makes me teary eyed.

And off course Illumination theory the orchestra interlude and the finale! Its more of tears of Joy for me.
And she listens openly

Offline Renzo

• Daryus
« Reply #120 on: September 09, 2017, 04:12:11 PM »
Ending of Illumination Theory and The Count of Tuscany.

Plus, Losing Faythe:
"I would trade my life
Just for one last moment
Use your gift, I beg
May life begin again
May life begin again."

Offline Evai

« Reply #121 on: September 09, 2017, 04:42:09 PM »
Dammit, now I need to listen to Astonishing again  :D
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline red barchetta

• don't worry, I'm being watched lol
« Reply #122 on: September 09, 2017, 05:45:49 PM »
I wish I would pay more attention to the lyrics. I'm french canadian and I concentrate more on the music and the main words like the chorus line. After a while, if I really like a song, I will be curious of knowing what the song is about.
About DT's songs, it never happened that one of them made me cry. About to crash has always been one of my favorite because the music and harmonies are fantastic. But once I paid attention to the lyrics, they really moved me a lot.
Once, at a concert where they opened for Iron Maiden, they were simply brilliant and as they were leaving the stage, I blew them a kiss. Something I have never done in any of the so many concerts I have attended.
With all respect, sincerely yours

Offline Evai

« Reply #123 on: September 09, 2017, 06:52:35 PM »
Once, at a concert where they opened for Iron Maiden, they were simply brilliant and as they were leaving the stage, I blew them

Even though she seems so high
He knows that she can't fly
She also likes to eat pie
Her favourite guitarist is Steve Vai
And when she falls out of the sky

...He'll be standing by
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline Drinktheater

« Reply #124 on: September 09, 2017, 11:14:34 PM »
Once, at a concert where they opened for Iron Maiden, they were simply brilliant and as they were leaving the stage, I blew them

Even though she seems so high
He knows that she can't fly
She also likes to eat pie
Her favourite guitarist is Steve Vai
And when she falls out of the sky

...He'll be standing by

Omg I chuckled you win the internet!
And she listens openly

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #125 on: September 10, 2017, 08:30:48 PM »
I don't play Vacant, The Best of Times, or Beneath the Surface much anymore because they consistently make me misty eyed or even cry a little in the wrong mood. I love those songs to death and they're some of the most beautiful songs in DT's catalogue, but they're hard for me to hear since I heard all of them at pretty painful times in my life.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #126 on: September 11, 2017, 12:35:38 AM »
As much as I love music, nothing has brought me to tears but there are three moments in two DT songs that evoke very strong feelings within Herrick's heart. The first is The Razor's Edge section of Octavarium. The lyrics and the weird...juxtaposition of the sad-sounding music with Petrucici's solo. The solo starts out kind of in a solemn mood but ends up triumphant at the end. The story ends where it begins. The circular theme makes me feel hopeless. I'm sure that wasn't their intention but that's how I feel about it.

The other ones are the Carpe Diem & Crimson Sunrise sections of A Change of Seasons which is my favorite song. Lyrically I find those sections to be very sad. "...But those days are goooooone!" "We can hope for the future but there may not be one". "Even though I'll be gone,
I will live on, live on". Living on through one's kids is an idea that never appealed to me. I don't have kids nor do I believe in an afterlife so that's a very sad part of the song topped off with that great outro which is also the intro to the song.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #127 on: September 11, 2017, 05:17:35 AM »

I got this off a prog meme page on FB a few years ago, so I guess it's a thing. It happened to me too btw, when I watched Live Scenes in its entirety, and the whole story clicked with me for the first time. Also, I sh(r)ed a tear this year as well when I saw JP perform the Breaking All Illusions solo.

TSCO brings a lot of people to tears, watch the LALP and especially the Live Wacken version or it.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 05:12:35 AM by Sycsa »

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline Drinktheater

« Reply #128 on: September 11, 2017, 10:41:51 AM »

I got this off a prog meme page on FB a few years ago, so I guess it's a thing. It happened to me too btw, when I watched Live Scenes in its entirety, and the whole story clicked with me for the first time. Also, I sh(r)ed a tear this year as well when I saw JP perform the Breaking All Illusions solo.

TSCO brings a lot of people to tears, watch the LALP and especially the Live Waken version or it.

The Solo section in Finaly free made teary eyed that is right after the one last time chorus, Its actually the main theme of Scenes from a Memory I think.
And she listens openly

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #129 on: September 11, 2017, 05:37:00 PM »
As a mom, with 2 teens, one just starting college the other a jr, its Goodnight Kiss and also Solitary shell. It's not the same story as GK, but my heart aches with the thought of my children being gone in any fashion. Motherhood is my favorite thing on earth. Then both my kids struggle with mental illness and it's especially hard right now...I doubt if I could listen to SS today.

Offline WheyWaffles

« Reply #130 on: September 11, 2017, 07:00:12 PM »
Maybe when on ecstasy.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #131 on: September 11, 2017, 07:28:54 PM »
It was during when I was relistening to The Astonishing on New Year's Eve (since I decided to use that day to relisten to my top five favorite albums of 2016).  I was listening to Hymn of a Thousand Voices and I was reading the lyrics in context of the story and hearing about how the townspeople coming together, gathering around, making music, in Gabriel's time of need to bring Faythe back to life. 

I had a tear in my eye on that one and think to myself, "Music is a beautiful thing and sometimes, if it can so powerful that it can bring people back on their feet and it can."  It was a beautiful and touching song and the follow-up was the much more needed upbeat song, Our New World.  Two of my favorites from The Astonishing.

Offline |KirK|

• DT Addicted
  • Seize The Day
« Reply #132 on: September 12, 2017, 12:23:02 AM »
I was about to cry when they played ACOS live in this tour. I wasn't expecting that song at the end of the concert, so it was a beautiful surprise...
This song is so important to me. It has a deep meaning. In fact I tattooed "Seize the day" on my right arm, to remember it every day of my life. Thank you Mike!!!

Offline Drinktheater

« Reply #133 on: September 12, 2017, 04:50:44 AM »
I was about to cry when they played ACOS live in this tour. I wasn't expecting that song at the end of the concert, so it was a beautiful surprise...
This song is so important to me. It has a deep meaning. In fact I tattooed "Seize the day" on my right arm, to remember it every day of my life. Thank you Mike!!!

I love ACOS of too, and I will see them perform in Manila this month I wish I had not done some research about their set list I want surprises!
And she listens openly

Offline |KirK|

• DT Addicted
  • Seize The Day
« Reply #134 on: September 12, 2017, 05:50:44 AM »

I love ACOS of too, and I will see them perform in Manila this month I wish I had not done some research about their set list I want surprises!
It was in Rome, the first show of this tour, so it was completely unexpected!!!  :o

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #135 on: September 12, 2017, 09:02:33 AM »
Nope.

Actually, I have to change this; I have come very close with "This Is The Life".  It really reminds me of my daughter, and her life and how I hope she chooses to live it... it's a powerful song (though I deeply suspect it has a very different meaning to the writer).

Offline Drinktheater

« Reply #136 on: September 12, 2017, 09:20:05 AM »

It was in Rome, the first show of this tour, so it was completely unexpected!!!  :o

Ah I see you lucky, well I could have stop my self from googling the set list but damn once I purchased the ticket I can't help my self to check what else they will play I know they play the whole IaW album since its a tribute to that but I already have a good guess that they will do the ACoS again since ACoS should have been part of the IaW album.

And she listens openly

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #137 on: September 12, 2017, 01:09:36 PM »
certain parts of 6DOIT off of Score moistens the ol eyeballs.  So does ACOS - The Crimson Sunset

Offline lucky7

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #138 on: September 13, 2017, 02:27:58 PM »
I must say I never realized how many of DT songs mention dying or living forever, even re listening to Images and Words for the Australian tour next week, there is a lot.
Why this is especially sad for me at the moment is my Mother passed very suddenly the night after I purchased DT tickets for Sydney, so it is a sad time all around, and also
late last month was 25 years since my Dad passed (also suddenly when I was sixteen) but I am reminded more as I listen to some tracks, at the end of the day, we all put our
own interpretation of each song, and ordinarily the lyrics wouldn't faze me that way but I do find I am skipping Pull me Under, and I know that will be played at each concert...
shesh I am having a cry now typing this. In time it will be okay, just right now, maybe I wish more of their lyrics were Sunshine and Roses.... Parents passing is never easy for anyone.
Saying that for the most part I&W is great, I have a new appreciation for Kevin Moore and JP as always outstanding...
The concerts in Melbourne and Sydney have given me something to focus on and take my mind off it.  :smiley:

Offline Renzo

• Daryus
« Reply #139 on: September 13, 2017, 03:04:41 PM »
Even in Petrucci's solo in TBOT