Author Topic: Have you ever cried due to a DT song? Wich song was that? And why?  (Read 20133 times)

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson

Offline Sourcegamer101

Re: Have you ever cried due to a DT song? Wich song was that? And why?
« Reply #71 on: May 12, 2014, 10:17:06 PM »
Disappear.

I felt pretty much as hopeless as the lyrics in the song at that time.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #72 on: May 13, 2014, 12:04:11 AM »
Psh, cry? Who would cry?

Disappear
The Spirit Carries On
Goodnight Kiss
Beneath the Surface

Offline energythief

• Chubby Chaser
« Reply #73 on: May 13, 2014, 08:10:50 AM »
Oh yeah, I've cried listening to a bunch of songs. it's usually when I have painful life experiences that connect to the lyrics. The tears can come much easier if I am singing along (and thus "voicing" those feelings) rather than just listening. I don't think I've ever gotten emotional through instrumentals.

Offline George Eliot

« Reply #74 on: May 24, 2014, 03:10:32 AM »
Many, many times.  I had never cried while listening to a metal band until DT

SDoIT  every. single. time. (especially Solitary Shell)
TBP  I will put this on repeat for hours
TAMP  particularly the demo version at the end
TCoT  JP's instrumental/solo part just takes me to another place
IT  (during the middle part)

...more then I can count or would like to admit  :'(
"Some of them hated the mathematics that drove them, and some were afraid, and some worshiped the mathematics because it provided a refuge from thought and from feeling." -John Steinbeck 'The Grapes of Wrath'

Offline wantija

« Reply #75 on: May 28, 2014, 07:38:48 AM »
TSCO (live Score)
Disappear
Vacant
TBoT (the solo is just so powerful)

Oddly enough I cried during Repentance, the solo followed with the confessions, the 'ahhhhhhhhhhh's made me tear up.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #76 on: June 12, 2014, 08:41:16 AM »
Illumination Theory makes me cry due to total, complete and absolute disappointment.  I'd rather be laying face down in a ditch out in the middle of nowhere listening to a better song.  So yeah...
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #77 on: June 12, 2014, 04:04:39 PM »
Never cried to  DT song. That isn't to say I have never been moved by one, but not to the point of tears.

Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Tis BOOLsheet

• Banned
« Reply #78 on: June 13, 2014, 08:35:14 PM »
Almost during the climax of TBP and the last section of IT. Also out of happiness when they opened with Bridges during the ADToE tour.

Also upon hearing SC in its entirety, for totally different reasons, of course.

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #79 on: June 13, 2014, 09:48:23 PM »
Almost during the climax of TBP and the last section of IT. Also out of happiness when they opened with Bridges during the ADToE tour.

So original.. Complaining about SC.. I still can't believed people who likes DT and don't like sC.. You're missing sooo much by doing that.. I mean, most of the SC's haters have just listen it "in its entirety" (precisely) only a couple of times.. I know neither it's original to say that it's an underrated album, but I'd just advise to give it another chance.. You CANNOT dislike ItPoE both tracks, Forsaken, TDEN, TMoLS, (only to mentioned a few) and like DT at the same time.. If so, you're being contradictory..

(I'm talking in general, nothing personal.. And, yeah, maybe being a little 'bombastic' or even aggressive, but... I've try to say these very things in so many other ways that I just had to refresh myself a bit..)
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #80 on: June 14, 2014, 05:03:29 AM »
Not really Tot-147.  I'm a huge DT guy.  Seen every tour but one.  I don't gravitate toward that album for some reason.  I still play it once in a while but it stll lacks something for me at lest.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Ravenfoul

« Reply #81 on: June 14, 2014, 03:03:48 PM »

So original.. Complaining about SC.. I still can't believed people who likes DT and don't like sC.. You're missing sooo much by doing that.. I mean, most of the SC's haters have just listen it "in its entirety" (precisely) only a couple of times.. I know neither it's original to say that it's an underrated album, but I'd just advise to give it another chance.. You CANNOT dislike ItPoE both tracks, Forsaken, TDEN, TMoLS, (only to mentioned a few) and like DT at the same time.. If so, you're being contradictory..

(I'm talking in general, nothing personal.. And, yeah, maybe being a little 'bombastic' or even aggressive, but... I've try to say these very things in so many other ways that I just had to refresh myself a bit..)
I'll just pop in and mention that, although it's not 'as good' as Images, Awake, Scenes and Six. Systematic is one of my favorite albums in their catalog, particularly ITPOE 1 / 2 and TDEN.

Offline Tis BOOLsheet

• Banned
« Reply #82 on: June 14, 2014, 07:31:35 PM »

Lol

I am not "complaining" about SC. And I formed that opinion without any regard whatsoever to how many other people did or did not share it.

I have listened to SC numerous times. I bought it as soon as it came out and continue to listen to these songs as they appear in their live shows and DVDs. I don't hate every song on it-- I enjoy one of them-- but when I first experienced the album it was a terribly disappointing experience. Relative to their best work it is an album of an inferior order both musically and lyrically.

Your assertion that one cannot simultaneously dislike Forsaken and still like DT is bizarre...to say the least. It is one of their more stripped down radio-friendly metal songs. I really have to wonder about the credibility of someone who believes this description so captures the essence of the band that for a DT fan to dislike it is contradictory.

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #83 on: June 17, 2014, 09:35:10 PM »
I don't think it's necessarily fair to say it's contradictory to not like parts of SC if you like DT, but despite this, I still won't understand it.

Describe Forsaken how you will, but I say they've been doing songs like Forsaken as early as Surrounded. Admittedly perhaps some people view them very differently but I think there's more similarities than some would allow themselves to believe.  Same with Ministry of Lost Souls. JPs tried that ominous (stairway, hotel) 12 string sound before on Octavarium, I'm trying to consider another example from earlier because I'm sure there's something else other than Floyd covers which has some 12 string. :P

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #84 on: June 17, 2014, 09:53:39 PM »
If laughing so hard I cried at the "don't cross the crooked step" part of Honor Thy Father counts, then yes, I have.  :lol
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #85 on: June 17, 2014, 11:37:32 PM »
If laughing so hard I cried at the "don't cross the crooked step" part of Honor Thy Father counts, then yes, I have.  :lol

The riff right after doe. You can't deny that shit rules.

Offline Sourcegamer101

« Reply #86 on: June 18, 2014, 01:18:14 AM »
Through Her Eyes and Disappear. Especially Disappear.

"A day like today
My whole world has been changed
Nothing you say
Will help ease my pain"

I lost it at that part.

Offline purzel

« Reply #87 on: June 18, 2014, 08:51:29 AM »
I always have tears in my eyes listening to great music bec. It's so rare. I've cried so many times hearing DT but I always cry hearing Pavarotti a now listening to Haken make me cry again. music is very emotional for me a it's a gift listening to great bands like DT,Haken.

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #88 on: June 19, 2014, 01:18:27 PM »
Disappear- many times before and since my earthly father was called Home.
TAMP- because I identify with it on a deep personal level
TBOT- the song that I listened to driving home alone the night before my father came home from the hospital.  He had just been diagnosed... it's different knowing what someone you love is going to die from as opposed to when that loved one is going to die.  Maybe not so much the lyrics of the song (some of them yes) but JP's opening acoustic solo (with the back drop of the Grandfather clock) along with his ride-out uplifting solo.  I haven't listened to it since.
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Offline The Holy Tune

« Reply #89 on: June 19, 2014, 01:30:31 PM »
I have to say that I've never cried very much while listening to a song. But these ones happened:

-I couldn't comprehend how beautiful Octavarium was, so a few tears ran down my eyes when the Razor's Edge solo was near to an end. And each time I listen it, I get shivers and my eyes get wet.
-Disappear gets me very close but not enough to make me actually cry.
-TMOLS' last "Goodbye / It's almost over now" part with the loud keyboards always make me feel how touchy the song is.
-I literally felt heartbroken when listening to Goodnight Kiss and About to Crash (Reprise). Kinda lost that feel to it now though.
-IT made a similar reaction to 8VM when I first heard it, at the string section. Doesn't touch that deep now though.
-Surrender to Reason's ending also created a similar feeling.
-The Best of Times' solo, not many words needed eh?

But at the last Sunday, I had one of the most important exams in my life in taking a step to university. Maybe I exaggerated it far too much but I really hate Maths. And the feeling that I got rid of it was very... relaxing. On the way back home, I listened to The Answer Lies Within and it made me cry inside. I guess that was the only time I got really close to crying out loud during a song.

Offline genome

« Reply #90 on: June 26, 2014, 10:45:12 AM »
Most recently, Breaking All Illusions live. It was so powerful, especially the ending.

A million times this. Those massive last three chords shaking the room just got me because it was overwhelming  :lol

Offline IdoSC

« Reply #91 on: June 27, 2014, 05:47:39 AM »
I did tear up a little bit due to 2 different songs, it was the first few times I've heard each of them though.

When ADToE came out I was at the peak of my teenage years, going all hormonal and having this overly dramatic on/off relationship with some girl. So other than being a beautiful song and a stunning performance of my MVP from DT (James), Beneath the Surface kinda touched upon a personal issue back then after we had a huge fight and basically lost touch and never talked since, simply because as the song says, "it's never really the right time" and none of us took on the effort.

When DT12 came out, I flew to Italy a day later with my family. Coming from Israel, there's always this feeling of having to "fight" for your legitimacy, fighting for your life essentially, everyone around me went to the army and I was about to as well, and I was a little overwhelmed by Illumination Theory as I took it to that direction and interpreted it that way. The breakdown in the middle of the song followed by one of the most intense moments in DT's history (IMO, especially with that dropping sound), and then the extremely touching epilogue of the song just got me thinking about our status as a country etc. So I found myself listening to the brand new epic song from DT for the first time, in some hotel in a different country, when we visited a Jewish memorial museum earlier that day. So the whole experience took me by surprise.

Offline npiazza91

« Reply #92 on: June 28, 2014, 10:28:05 AM »
The Spirit Carries On made me cry the first time I think, same with Through Her Eyes.  The Best of Times used to make me cry a lot in the first half, but the second half is such  let down for me that the song as a whole doesn't make me emotional anymore.

There are some that still get me, but I won't mention them here so as not to spoil my Top 50 list.

Offline The_Sleeper87

« Reply #93 on: December 22, 2014, 03:57:46 PM »
Three songs:
Surrounded (a lot of surrounding circumstances contributed to this one).
Far From Heaven
Best of Times

Offline jonnybaxy

• Step after step We try controlling our fate When we finally start living it's become too late
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #94 on: December 23, 2014, 05:15:03 AM »
Vacant - "Am I Loosing You"
Disappear - "So I'm Moving On...."
TBOT - Intro

TCoT made me tear up because it was just that good in the acoustic ending.... No joke.

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #95 on: December 23, 2014, 05:40:36 AM »
Disappear.

Broken heart issues.
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Offline chaossystem

• We're on to your agenda, the dead-end road to nowhere.
  • Chapters unfinished, fading
« Reply #96 on: December 23, 2014, 07:32:19 PM »
SS
LFAGA
TOWHTSTS (Intro)
IAW
6:00
Ero
Voices
Lie
LSOAD
SDV
PS
HK
LITS
TAMP
TOT
THE
TSCO
FF
Misunderstood
ATC
GK
SS
LT/GF
ITNOG-Outro
TW
SS
8V
Repentance-Solo(sometimes)
ANTR-Slow part
W
TBOT-Outro solo
TCOT
LNF
TITL
BAI
BTS-Sometimes
TLG
TBP-Outro parts,sometimes
BTV-Solo
STR
IT

Others:
ACOS
Eve
DLPM
STM-Sometimes
TLF-Sometimes

Many live versions,lika HY or AH/KH,etc.

If you're crying this much over this many songs and versions of songs, you're going to end up becoming awfully dehydrated!
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Offline Sourcegamer101

« Reply #97 on: December 28, 2014, 09:18:09 PM »
the bigger picture is an honorable mention

i took a good listen at the bridge, and that part almost got me to tears

Offline CharlesPL

« Reply #98 on: December 28, 2014, 09:54:52 PM »
If you're crying this much over this many songs and versions of songs, you're going to end up becoming awfully dehydrated!

I drink a lot of water :D

Offline The Nameless One

« Reply #99 on: December 28, 2014, 11:03:41 PM »
The Spirit Carries On

Illumination Theory

Breaking All Illusions

Finally Free (From Breaking The Fourth Wall)

Metropolis, Pt. 1

Learning To Live

Scarred

Hollowed Years

The Grand Finale

Offline Fredo96993

« Reply #100 on: December 31, 2014, 07:35:24 AM »
Disappear just seems to make me emotional. I don't know particularly why apart from some great JLB lyrics with innovative and unique music to fit. I have no personal connection to it at all but...

Offline Aythesryche

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #101 on: December 31, 2014, 02:08:57 PM »
Whenever I first picked up playing the guitar, the very first song I learned to play was Metropolis Pt. 1. When I first listened to the song, it moved me quite a bit, but it didn't bring me to tears... However, after some months of practicing and finally getting all the parts down on guitar, I remember the very first time I played the song all the way through from beginning to end brought me to tears. Right after the big crescendo, switching from distortion to clean, I lost it in a bit of joyous tears. It was fantastic.

Offline XB0BX

« Reply #102 on: January 01, 2015, 02:13:01 PM »
I cried during the chorus of Forsaken the first time

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #103 on: January 01, 2015, 06:30:04 PM »
I  have never actually cried due to a Dream Theater songs, but there are a few songs that have gotten me close a few times and always move me emotionally.

The Spirit Carries On is the big one here. I get chills every time I listen to it and from the solo to the end almost always chokes me up.

Vacant is the first song from Train of Thought to click for me because it's lyrics really hit me hard. It is my favorite song from that album for the lyrics alone.

Octavarium and more specifically Razor's Edge is just an overwhelmingly emotional experience. The last four horn notes get me every time.

Forsaken's chorus used to move me a lot, but not so much anymore.

A Nightmare to Remember (obviously I'm talking about the Beautiful Agony section) is amazing. Those three part harmonies are to die for.

The Best of Times has what is in my opinion John Petrucci's finest and most emotional solo. Every time I hear it I'm fighting back tears.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #104 on: January 02, 2015, 12:57:27 AM »
I've never fully cried cried to any song ever. I have though watered my eyes but not cried, felt emotional and raised goosebumps, that happens from time to time.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls