Poll

What grade do you give the Score set list, given that it was a 20th anniversary one?

A
44 (30.1%)
B
68 (46.6%)
C
25 (17.1%)
D
8 (5.5%)
F
1 (0.7%)

Total Members Voted: 143

Voting closes: March 09, 2035, 05:49:26 PM

Author Topic: What grade do you give the Score set list?  (Read 9146 times)

Offline GPedrosa

Re: What grade do you give the Score set list?
« Reply #70 on: April 30, 2014, 11:50:37 PM »
That's great for me, but could be so much better.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #71 on: October 30, 2017, 09:01:14 AM »
This weekend I had occasion to be in the kitchen for hours and picked Score to be my soundtrack to cooking. I haven't listened to this concert in nearly 10 years and I was floored with how effortlessly awesome it was...and all from what I would consider a "B" list of DT tunes.

Now, maybe it's because I'd spent the past couple of weeks exploring newly released music and struggling to find "the awesome" in them: or maybe it's just that at this point in time DT was just a spectacular live act (JLB sounded great): perhaps it was just my mood, but man this was a very uplifting listen and I was singing along and really enjoying myself. It's been awhile since music has moved me like that.

Just imagine if the first disc had more killer and less filler and if the orchestra would have been in tune with the band on the other discs!  :lol
I have always found it quaint, and rather touching, that there is a movement in the U.S. that thinks Americans are not yet selfish enough.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline don_waka

« Reply #72 on: October 30, 2017, 09:23:25 AM »
A.

This is actually their last live performance without crappy songs on it.

:hefdaddy Raise the Knife

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #73 on: October 30, 2017, 09:29:04 AM »
F.  I really dislike Octavarium and it's my least favorite DT record.

I love the ideas of playing a suite of songs in order based on each album's release date, and I love the performance of Metropolis with an orchestra.  Beyond that, the only songs I care for on this album are Under a Glass Moon, Innocence Faded and Metropolis. 

I've never been a fan of the full SDIOT suite, nor the title track to Octavarium, so those performances don't have much worth to me.  Also agree that it's a very underwhelming set for a 20th anniversary show with very few hits, and a lot of under-played classics.

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #74 on: October 30, 2017, 01:10:05 PM »
C. It was a good setlist, I love Octavarium & SDOIT but I don't care much for The Answer lies within and Raise the Knife, I would prefer something like Hell's Kitchen, JLMB (I know I'm in the minority about that song) or LITS for the FII spot.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #75 on: October 30, 2017, 01:12:22 PM »
I'd probably give it a C, or maybe C-.  I Squawk Beside You was really a bummer coming after Root, and I'd be happy never hearing Spirit again. Otherwise the first half was rock-solid. The second set was built around the orchestra, and for the most part it was wasted effort. I was just fine with 6°, but a lot of the other stuff just didn't work for me. I gather they were wanting to do Sacrificed Sons because of NYC and all, but it came across as dull. 8V was great, but Metropolis was a let down. I think it was Setlist Scotty that said they should have gone with LtL instead, and he's absolutely correct. The orchestra could have been made to work with that, but shoe-horning it into Metro kind of sucked.

I enjoyed the show and I'm happy to have been there, but the LSfNY show would have totally kicked its ass. In fact, using Live Scenes as a benchmark, Score just got downgraded to a D.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: October 30, 2017, 01:47:44 PM »
Went with B, but maybe more so a B-.  Gets lots of praise for songs like Another Won and Raising the Knife, but for me, mostly loses out with 6DOIT.  It's not one of my favorite DT tracks and it takes up so much set time, plus is actually one track on the CD/DVD  :facepalm: .  Having Octavarium also really helps the setlist.  I personally really like Sacrificed Sons here as well. 

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #77 on: October 30, 2017, 01:56:28 PM »
Gave it a B a couple years ago when this poll opened, and I'd still stick with that.

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #78 on: October 30, 2017, 02:06:48 PM »
I'll give it a C. The first disc is an interesting survey of their albums up that point, with a couple of rarities thrown in. Disc 2 is the weakest of the 3. I'm not a fan of the song Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence, and so making it all one track (plus the very flat orchestral intro/overture) doesn't endear me to it. Disc 3 is magnificent.

Live at Budokan and Breaking The Fourth Wall are my two favourite live releases of theirs in terms of setlist.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #79 on: October 30, 2017, 02:08:01 PM »
I think the set for Score is incredible. A+. Honestly, I think it's the only time I listen to Sacrificed Sons!
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #80 on: October 30, 2017, 02:12:24 PM »
Just to clarify, I bumped this thread because I listened to this album over the weekend for the first time in a decade. I agree with all the sentiments that it's a sub-par set list by DT's standards. (I originally gave it a C in this poll)

My larger point was even with all that going against it it was infinitely more enjoyable and effortlessly more impressive than every bit of music I've been struggling to find enjoyment from over the past several weeks.
I have always found it quaint, and rather touching, that there is a movement in the U.S. that thinks Americans are not yet selfish enough.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #81 on: October 30, 2017, 02:56:21 PM »
As I said in my original post when this thread was made, the set list itself is highly subjective and I can see why some don't prefer it to other shows.  But, I think the venue, the sound and the performance more than make up for it.  That said, I really didn't mind the set list and still don't.  I never really cared for SS, but it sounded good on the DVD.  Afterlife and Another Won were awesome.  Don't think I ever heard RTK before that DVD came out and the live version is awesome.  Overall, even though the orchestra sounded a little quirky from time to time, I enjoyed Score very much.  Still do.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #82 on: October 31, 2017, 04:16:41 AM »
My only minor complaint is that Falling Into Infinity had no "proper" songs on the set, just a leftover. Sure, that leftover is better than half the album probably, and I understand that with the time contraints something had to give, but to have an album song and a b-side song off FII during the "normal" shows and having just a leftover in the DVD, feels a bit incomplete.

Technically, every album and even the demo got a song released on said album played live, but Falling Into Infinity didn't.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #83 on: November 03, 2017, 03:15:38 PM »
I'll start with the caveat that I got this on DVD very soon after it came out and have watched it many times, but I usually focus on the orchestra songs.

The Root of All Evil:  I'd have preferred Panic Attack, but TRoAE is a good opener.
I Walk Beside You:  Worst song on 8VA.  HATE the chorus.
Another Won:  Meh...
Afterlife:  It's an ok song, but there are many better songs on WDADU.
Under a Glass Moon:  I'm in the minority here, but I've never been a fan of this song.
Innocence Faded:  One of the worst songs on Awake.
Raise the Knife:  I don't know this song other than its appearance on Score.  I know it's an MP-fanboy favorite, but I don't recall being impressed by it.
The Spirit Carries On:  It's fine in the context of SFAM as a whole, but I'm not a huge fan of it as a stand-alone song.

SDOIT:  LOVE LOVE LOVE this -- especially with the orchestra!
Vacant:  It's a cool piece for what it is, but nothing remarkable.
The Answer Lies Within:  Solid choice.
Sacrificed Sons:  Love it.
8VA:  Same comments as with SDOIT.  The MP backing vocals really stand out here.  Only negative is the expanded JR-wanking intro, which I almost always FFWD through.
Metropolis:  Love, but it didn't benefit much from having the orchestra.

All in all, the second set gets a strong A, but the first set is no better than a C- (so I guess that averages to a B or B-).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #84 on: November 03, 2017, 03:21:33 PM »
Okay, but the thing is, once they decided to play SDOIT, which you say you love, that pretty much locked in the entire rest of the set list.  I would have loved a few substitutions here and there.  But there really is very little room to have changed hardly ANYTHING in the set. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #85 on: November 03, 2017, 03:40:21 PM »
Okay, but the thing is, once they decided to play SDOIT, which you say you love, that pretty much locked in the entire rest of the set list.  I would have loved a few substitutions here and there.  But there really is very little room to have changed hardly ANYTHING in the set.

Exactly.

Honestly, devoting 40+ minutes to 6 D's would be my complaint.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #86 on: November 03, 2017, 04:26:01 PM »

I guess this is directed at me, but it doesn't make much sense.  Nothing in the first set is "locked in."  Maybe I'm not understanding your point, and it's obviously a subjective thing, but if I were picking songs for the non-orchestra set (the orchestra set is fine as is):

1. Play Panic Attack instead of Root (they're almost exactly the same length).
2. Another Won can stay as being representative of the pre-WDADU period.
3. Swap out Afterlife for The Killing Hand or Only a Matter of Time (+1-3 minutes).
4. Drop I Walk Beside You (that more than makes up for using a longer WDADU song, and there are already plenty of 8VA songs).
5. Substitute Surrounded for UAGM (-1.5 minutes).
6. Substitute 6:00 or Lifting Shadows for Innocence Faded (6:00 is almost exactly the same length, and LSOAD is only about 30 seconds longer).
7. Substitute Burning My Soul and Hell's Kitchen for Raise the Knife (-2 minutes).
8. Substitute Fatal Tragedy for TSCO (or, since the I&W and FII substitutions save about 3.5 minutes, play Home or Finally Free).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #87 on: November 03, 2017, 05:05:17 PM »

I guess this is directed at me, but it doesn't make much sense.  Nothing in the first set is "locked in." 

Yeah, it was locked in because of the pre-determined format of the show.  They were featuring Octavarium AND going chronologically through their career.  AND they had severe time constraints on that show (and were fined for going over as it was).  Most of the Octavarium songs were locked in.  But I'll go through your list.

1. Play Panic Attack instead of Root (they're almost exactly the same length).

I love Panic Attack, but there was no way this was going to happen.  They were opening shows on the tour with Root.  That was a lock.  And given that they wanted to use the Octavarium album as a theme, there was no way they were going to open the show that got filmed with anything but the album opener.

Yeah, that was a lock as well.  They had few options for the Majesty period, and this was the best they could have chosen, IMO.

3. Swap out Afterlife for The Killing Hand or Only a Matter of Time (+1-3 minutes).

The time crunch is the problem.  There is no way they could add longer songs unless they swapped in something shorter somewhere else in the show, and there weren't really many opportunities to do that.  I'm with you that those are better songs.  But no way they could do either of them.

4. Drop I Walk Beside You (that more than makes up for using a longer WDADU song, and there are already plenty of 8VA songs).

As with Root, this was a lock from Octavarium.  It was the lead single.  No way they aren't playing it on that tour.

5. Substitute Surrounded for UAGM (-1.5 minutes).

Yeah, this would work, since it was shorter.  I'm not sure it buys them much though.  That isn't really gaining much time, and IMO, it is a lesser song, so there isn't really incentive to do that.  But yeah, it is a possibility that could have worked.

6. Substitute 6:00 or Lifting Shadows for Innocence Faded (6:00 is almost exactly the same length, and LSOAD is only about 30 seconds longer).

For my personal tastes, 6:00 would have been nice.  But a LOT of people were happy with Innocence Faded, given that it hadn't really been played.  See my prior comments about longer songs for LSOAD.  Plus, I'm not feeling like they needed another softer, atmospheric song.  They had enough of that.

7. Substitute Burning My Soul and Hell's Kitchen for Raise the Knife (-2 minutes).

They've never played that combo, so I'm not seeing it.  They could have also saved time with Peruvian Skies, which WAS played on the tour.  But understand that you are in a minority on wanting anything but RTK.  Fans overall were REALLY glad they pulled that one out.  But yes, I concede that they theoretically COULD HAVE saved time in the FII spot.

8. Substitute Fatal Tragedy for TSCO (or, since the I&W and FII substitutions save about 3.5 minutes, play Home or Finally Free).

I was starting to feel TSCO burnout by this time.  But it's sort of a "hit," and the atmosphere fit the show well.  And to make room for those other songs, again, time constraints.

Look, I'm not arguing that it wasn't technically possible to make some changes here and there.  But given what they wanted to do, what songs they had rehearsed and prepared for the tour already, and the constraints they were under, they really didn't have much wiggle room.  They had some.  But not much.  I was giddy when they played the last two parts of SDOIT at the show just before the NYC show, because I was SURE that that meant Six Degrees in its entirety.  I'm really glad they did it.  But doing that came at a price in terms of what else they could do with the set list.  In an ideal world, they wouldn't have had to worry about time constraints and could have done a few things differently.  But given what they had to work with, they had to pretty much rely on the shortest songs available in most spots.  I can't really criticize.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #88 on: November 03, 2017, 05:13:20 PM »

Yeah, that was a lock as well.  They had few options for the Majesty period, and this was the best they could have chosen, IMO.

I think that was also the first song they had written as a band at Berklee so that one would absolutely be played at this show. 

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #89 on: November 03, 2017, 05:56:37 PM »
As a set list? I loved it. I would get rid of TSCO, but I would always get rid of that song. Replace it with something more interesting.

The execution of some stuff like 6DOIT was a bit of a let down, but I think as a set list it was great.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #90 on: November 03, 2017, 07:11:07 PM »
I gave it a B. It’s a great set list but not their best (that would be LSFNY). There’s a few songs that bring it down and could have been replaced by something better (Innocence Faded for example) but having all of SDoIT and 8vm makes it amazing, and other songs like AW, UaGM, RtK, TSCO, SS, and Metropolis make it even better.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline DT1138

« Reply #91 on: November 15, 2017, 09:33:29 AM »
Performance: A
Setlist: C

Perhaps I would have enjoyed it more in person.  My least favorite list of songs ever done by DT.  And throw all the rocks or whatever you want at me....not a fan of Spirit Carries On.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #92 on: November 15, 2017, 10:58:06 AM »
Yeah, it was locked in because of the pre-determined format of the show.  They were featuring Octavarium AND going chronologically through their career.  AND they had severe time constraints on that show (and were fined for going over as it was).  Most of the Octavarium songs were locked in.  But I'll go through your list.

My point was that choosing to play SDOIT didn't "lock in" anything else.  There may well have been many reasons why the band felt constrained to play some of the songs they did, but those reasons have little or nothing to do with playing SDOIT.  And, I was aware of the time issues, which is why I kept the running count of how my choices for other songs impacted the overall set length.  Ultimately, this is all about personal preferences, and none of this will take us back in time and change what they did.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #93 on: November 15, 2017, 11:10:09 AM »
My point was that choosing to play SDOIT didn't "lock in" anything else.  There may well have been many reasons why the band felt constrained to play some of the songs they did, but those reasons have little or nothing to do with playing SDOIT.

I'm not sure how you can possibly say that.  I mean, I think it's pretty clear how and why they were locked in once they decided to go with SDOIT, but...okay.  :dunno:

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #94 on: November 15, 2017, 11:14:08 AM »
Great setlist for a concert, but a poor setlist for a live DVD. We already had live recordings of several of the songs, and too much was from a single album. It didn't really feel like it did the "20 year anniversary" justice.

That being said, I was in the 8th row and loved every second of the show.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #95 on: November 15, 2017, 12:00:52 PM »
I gave it an A. Had I been allowed to choose the setlist it probably would have been different, but this is still a great set and it turned out so well.  I like most of the songs on Awake better than Innocence Faded, for example, but after hearing it I'm glad they did it - it turned out so well and I'm glad to have this version.

Offline robbob

« Reply #96 on: December 16, 2017, 11:12:38 PM »
Just gave the DVD a listen after not hearing it for about 2 years.  Gave the setlist a B grade. Only thing that pulls it down for me were IWBY, Vacant and TALW. All kind of meh songs. Sacrificed Sons is not one of my favorites either.

Orchestra set was cool, obviously made sense to do the whole 6 Degrees suite along with Octavarium, Metropolis is always awesome.

But what I really love about it is the run of songs on the first set, from Another Won thru Raise the Knife. All great songs with just enough Prog, straight Rock and Melodic stuff without going overboard on any one style. Think it works great. The whole first set is a good intro for newcomers to DT's music.

Overall the band is on fire, easily best sounding live recording of the band, the mix of all instruments is perfect to me. And James is awesome, enough said.