Author Topic: You Not Me, live in concert.  (Read 7926 times)

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
Re: You Not Me, live in concert.
« Reply #70 on: May 01, 2014, 04:26:02 PM »
Quite a few people does not equal "vast majority" of DT fans.

No, but it would imply that the number of people who flat out "don't like" it, if they are in a majority, it's not a vast one.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline robwebster

« Reply #71 on: May 01, 2014, 04:35:25 PM »
Yep - no matter how hard any song's hatebase wishes!

Offline As I Am

• Banned
« Reply #72 on: May 01, 2014, 08:17:23 PM »
Still waiting to see performed live:
Status Seeker
Light Fuse And Get Away
Only A Matter Of Time
You Not Me
Take Away My Pain
Don't Look Past Me
Where Are You Now
Wither
The Best of Times
Raw Dog
The Bigger Picture
Surrender To Reason
Behind The Veil

Wow, that's quite amazing that it's easier for you to list the songs you haven't seen. xD So lets say you're easily gonna see the rest of DT12, some of WDADU is always up in the air so completely possible, and at this point The Best of Times is waiting to have it's day.

I'll be a pessimist and say you might never see Raw Dog/You Not Me/Where Are You Now/Don't Look Past Me. :P But hopefully you'll never believe it's not possible.  ;)

But I'm curious, during any of the FII/TOT(or others)/BL&SL tours were you ever close to catching Take Away my Pain/WDADU stuff/Wither? You must have seen quite a variety of shows with different setlists. I suppose the When Dream and Day ReUnite show would have been just, The Ultimate Show for you at this point.  :coolio

I've seen multiple shows on every DT tour since FII, but just never got to see any of the songs I've mentioned. Some of it was bad luck, but others I just had no shot. Yeah, I WISH I was in L.A. for the WDADR show....That would knock 3 right off the list :hat

Offline As I Am

• Banned
« Reply #73 on: May 01, 2014, 08:19:19 PM »

No offense, but I HIGHLY DOUBT, you "know" a "vast majority" of DT fans :facepalm:

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #74 on: May 01, 2014, 09:34:49 PM »
It wouldn't be the first time DT have played a song that's not loved by the majority. DT aren't a "greatest hits" band, they're a band with a diverse fan base who want to hear some deeper cuts than that one on MTV and that Grammy one.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #75 on: May 01, 2014, 09:47:25 PM »

That's awesome.  :tup But this lot could be tricky as they mostly only got played around their initial tour, then that was it (not that you don't know that haha). But at least you've managed to see WDADU. Was is spaced out or did you catch the reunion show? You ever close to catching any of the other songs you're missing also?

Both.  I was at the WDADU reunion show, plus I've seen various tracks from that album played through the years.  Cover My Eyes was played a few times (quite inexplicably) in 2002 to kick off the Six Degrees tour -- so one never knows if and when these songs may  show up again.  Fingers always crossed though.

It should be noted that I think DT is one of the only bands that really plays all of their tracks, much to the benefit of fans like us.  So many other bands write tracks as album fillers, but DT stands behind each song and shares them in a live experience.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #76 on: May 02, 2014, 09:48:11 AM »

No offense, but I HIGHLY DOUBT, you "know" a "vast majority" of DT fans :facepalm:

I didn't say I did.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #77 on: May 02, 2014, 10:17:45 AM »
If they busted out You Not Me in concert, I'd probably laugh and then joyfully sing along.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #78 on: May 02, 2014, 10:44:06 AM »
If they busted out You Not Me in concert, I'd probably laugh and then joyfully sing along.

Same here! You know what? I'm off to listen to You Or+Not Me in sequence  :lol
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Tis BOOLsheet

• Banned
« Reply #79 on: May 02, 2014, 04:31:46 PM »
I'd be pissed as hell if I spent at least 60 bucks on DT and they played that song.

Yes, having the band take up a fraction of a percent of the show on a song you don't like would be the worst thing ever.

There are always some songs people won't like in a show...but why would they go out of their way to play a song that is disliked and regarded as an embarrassment to the band's abilities and unmistakable progressive metal sound. That song in particular has attracted-- deservedly, in my opinion-- widespread scorn and reprobation, and represents one of the lowest moments in the band's life.

Yes, it would be a pretty bad experience as a fan.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #80 on: May 02, 2014, 05:41:15 PM »
That song in particular has attracted-- deservedly, in my opinion-- widespread scorn and reprobation

It really hasn't.

Mixed or lukewarm reviews among a sample of the geekiest DT fans - yes. But people really, really overestimate how big or representative this community is.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #81 on: May 02, 2014, 08:37:38 PM »
Well Rob, 95,310 of those youtube views were me.

Just kidding.  I paid for my DT music.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #82 on: May 02, 2014, 09:09:04 PM »
I paid for my DT music too, but loading up YouTube is quite the convenience.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #83 on: May 02, 2014, 11:23:06 PM »
Maybe those who hate the song just want to be polite and not click the "dislike" button :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #84 on: May 03, 2014, 05:38:48 AM »
Rob, of those 95,000 views, how many are people who actually like the song?

I would submit that it is a song that appeals more to "casual" fans, or even non-DT fans, than the more steadfast and dedicated fan base.  I would suspect that a large  portion of those views are such people, and even repeat views for most of them.

It has historically been a much looked down upon song by the fanbase.  I mean, I'm glad that you like it, and that some others like it.  But at this point, the only value it would have in being performed live would be the novelty of it.  By my count, the band only played it 3 times on the tour that promoted the album it was on.  That's the same number of times they performed Where Are You Now on that tour, which didn't even make it to the album, and less than half the number of times they performed The Way It Used To Be, another B-side.

Even other songs that have been absent since that tour, like Take Away My Pain and Anna Lee, were still performed a LOT on that tour.  But You Not Me was virtually ignored except for 3 dates over a two-week period.  I get that MP made the set lists and he didn't like the song, but obviously no one else in the band ever stood up for it, either.

For me, YNM showing up on a setlist again would be a bigger shock than a song that's never been played before, like TBOT or DLPM.  I would be completely flabbergasted.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #85 on: May 03, 2014, 08:47:06 AM »

Counting the likes in that screenshot, about .005%. :lol :lol

Granted, way less disliked it enough to click on the dislike button, but you get my point.

Like I have said before, I don't put a lot of stock into YT views, likes and dislikes.  I think rob's posts are money 99% of the time, but I think he is reaching on this one. :biggrin:

Offline robwebster

« Reply #86 on: May 03, 2014, 11:41:21 AM »

Counting the likes in that screenshot, about .005%. :lol :lol

Granted, way less disliked it enough to click on the dislike button, but you get my point.
99.9% of the votes are "Thumbs up," 0.01% thumbs down. Some of the viewers didn't have accounts so wouldn't have been able to vote, and plenty more just didn't choose to vote one way or another. I'm in the final camp. Never vote on YouTube videos, rarely occurs to me to vote.

I think the most valid complaint about the stat is one that I think you're raising, hef, which is that the only people who are going to navigate to You Not Me on YouTube are people who already like You Not Me. Totally true, it's a different form of skewed sample, but I just picked YouTube as the first place that would pick up lots of different types of traffic.

Another, Last.FM --

https://www.last.fm/music/Dream+Theater/+charts?rangetype=week&subtype=tracks

Different tip of the same iceberg, I'd wager most DT fans don't have a Last.FM account, but you can count off Enigma Machine, As I Am, Panic Attack, I Walk Beside You, Forsaken, Endless Sacrifice, The Dark Eternal Night, Constant Motion, and The Answer Lies Within as tracks that have been more listened-to in the last week than the top track off Awake - The Mirror. Try getting those results on this website!

I'm not saying "YouTube's right and we're wrong," I'm saying Dream Theater fandom is a many-headed beast and many of the songs we would broadly consider pariahs just plain... aren't! We're a small piece of a big puzzle, and even here, there's plenty of people who are perfectly happy to watch YNM live. We don't, and shouldn't, hold any more sway than any other subculture of DT fans. We're not elder statesmen, nor keepers of some sacred tome. We're just a couple of hundred, broadly cynical, DT fans on some website.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #87 on: May 03, 2014, 12:18:58 PM »
We're not elder statesmen, nor keepers of some sacred tome.
Yes we are.  Don't sell yourself short, bub.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #88 on: May 03, 2014, 12:21:59 PM »
I'll make us all hats.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #89 on: May 03, 2014, 12:36:39 PM »
I'll make us all hats.
Don't bother, I would just break mine.

:uny:

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #90 on: May 05, 2014, 01:17:21 AM »
I'll make us all hats.
I'd like a fez then, please.

Offline metrojam

« Reply #91 on: May 16, 2014, 03:40:40 PM »
Would much rather see them do this song than nearly every song they do from the dreadful DT12 release!!!...and I'm not even really a fan of "You not Me"!!!

Offline Nearmyth

« Reply #92 on: May 16, 2014, 09:56:15 PM »
YNM is not that bad in my opinion... I actually kind of like it. Then again, it's been quite a while since I last listened to it, so who knows.
"Now I'm not one to soon forget
And I bet I never will...

WAAHH WAAHH DIGA DIGA WAAHH WAAHH"