Author Topic: What Would Rush Do extreme (maybe this has been discussed)  (Read 1421 times)

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
What Would Rush Do extreme (maybe this has been discussed)
« on: April 20, 2014, 05:13:01 PM »
First, I'd like to say I just came back from Riverside and Los Angeles two absolutely MIND BLOWING shows, and I'm sure we're all familiar with the lack of adjectives we have to describe the extreme greatness of a DT show. This was even better. I mean, it was the greatest possible DT show ever, and every single member did a PERFECT job.

I'm starting this topic to point out this list I've noticed:

-Static setlist
-drum solo in the middle of instrumental
-The Looking Glass and the beginning of Surrender to Reason
-freaking huge stage production ( :omg: this was amazing, greatest I've ever seen)
-Even the logo on the front of the floor of the stage
-intro tape effects with imagery on screen setting the scene of the song, and even a funny intro tape to open the second set
-two points of talking to the audience, with all other songs going strait through.

My analysis is that thus far EVERYTHING is PERFECT. I even LOVE the static setlist (which is crazy coming from me), and so far they have taken all of the GREATEST aspects of Rush and none of the bad things. BUT, if this continues.. that's the question.

If we start seeing two-year-long tours with one setlist and 5 years between albums that will be beyond lame. Actually it will be devastating and tragic. I'm here to say that a static setlist is great, but only as a tool for a tour here and there; it's not something that should last forever or be a standard for a career. It's working so well right now because it's something new for DT, and it lends itself so well to the kind of show they've created for this tour. PLEASE, Dream Theater don't stop constantly changing and please don't slow down the rate at which you do new things.

Once again, I'm saying everything so far is perfect, I'm just paranoid of the possibility of this becoming a standard. Rush is ballsy (something bands should look up to them for), but Dream Theater is even ballsier, so I hope they're going even further in that direction and not back down to the point where Rush is, the point they've surpassed.

..Most bands……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………Rush…………………………………………Dream Theater
<--Less Ballsiness …. More ballsiness-->

Anyone agree?

Offline haceeb

• When you surrender to the light, You can face the darkest days
  • I am bent, not broken
Re: What Would Rush Do extreme (maybe this has been discussed)
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2014, 05:21:58 PM »
I agree but Porcupine Tree, Ayreon, Anathema and many old prog bands are also ballsier not only Rush

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2014, 05:36:35 PM »
I don't think they'll start taking 5 years between albums as they have way too many ideas and love the studio..perhaps more than touring.

Plus - as others have mentioned. They need to make albums and tour to continue their lifestyle.

They're not metallica - who can go 8 years without releasing an album and not go broke.

Offline Invisible

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2014, 09:39:50 PM »
I don't get why DT is being compared to Rush all the sudden. :-\ Just because they do one thing like Rush, doesn't mean they are going to do everything the same.

And the static setlist is going to stay like this as long as they have this stage production level I think, you can't start rotating things when you need to be so precise.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2014, 10:04:42 PM »
We've been comparing Rush and Dream Theater since the beginning of time, Invisible  :lol

I just want DT to write the lyrics first for their music, like Rush, if there were nothing else similar between them.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2014, 10:54:43 PM »
As the DT guys get older, it is likely that they will slowly start doing things at a slower rate, and it won't be because Rush did it; it will be because Father Time is catching up with them and they can't go all-out like they used to.

Rush didn't invent putting a drum solo in the middle of a song.

The vast majority of touring bands go with static set lists over the course of a tour.

Rush is the best band ever.

This post is not a recording.

Offline Invisible

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2014, 03:22:54 PM »
We've been comparing Rush and Dream Theater since the beginning of time, Invisible  :lol

I just want DT to write the lyrics first for their music, like Rush, if there were nothing else similar between them.
Well I see that, but not in the "DT is following Rush footsteps" kind of way. Rush is an influence on the band, but so are many others. I just don't get the whole "what would Rush do" thing.

- Static setlist is more normal than heavy rotation, Queen did it for years. Of course, the most normal thing is what DT did on the past tour.

- Drum solos are older than Rush, even in the middle of the song(Led Zeppelin, anyone?) and kind of lame if you ask me. No matter how good the drummer is, drums are not good for soloing.

- Two songs... so?

- Huge stage production. Again, there quite a number of bands that do the same.

- Ditto for the intro tape thing.

I mean, all the things pointed out have been done before by a lot of band and are very common. And if they slow down it would be just like Kev said, because of age or maybe because they can. Again, A LOT of bands slow down after they so many years, especially considering that records don't sell that well so they prefer longer tours to squeeze the most of each album.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2014, 03:44:08 PM »
If anything, I would say the videos are one of the things they took from Rush.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2014, 03:50:20 PM »
I still think the list I made is pretty impressive  :lol I mean because these are all things Rush does, not just any one thing in particular. Also, Mangini's drum solo was probably the greatest drum solo I've ever seen anywhere (and I've watched Todd Sucherman solos), and not only that but goes down as one of the greatest moments of any concert I've ever seen. My only point is that everything they've learned from Rush (of course not only exclusively from them) thus far is great, I'm just worried about a few bad traits of Rush rubbing off.

I'm HOPING that they don't slow down or narrow their list of playable songs. I'm not saying that these things aren't normal. But Dream Theater is not a normal band, and they don't do normal things!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2014, 09:27:58 PM »

Other bands do videos. How did they take that from Rush?

I don't see any of these things as remotely Rush specific. Tons of bands do these same things.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2014, 09:39:19 PM »
I don't know,  when DT started doing their first videos they were very similar to what Rush had just done on the previous tour.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2014, 09:48:26 PM »
What videos do you mean? Everything I've seen from DT is stuff I've seen from other bands.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2014, 10:54:20 PM »
The intermission vids?
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2014, 12:15:20 AM »
I'm noting the culmination of all these things. Not just any one or two specifically. After this whole list, I thought the logo on the floor would make my point for sure  :laugh:

As for videos, I'd say the "Bad Larry" one, and kind of the intermission one (which was AWESOME btw). Also the intro video with the albums (which was also AWESOME!! Blob thank you so much for this), it was a bit reminiscent of the Rush R30 overture.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2014, 12:16:21 AM »
I can tell you first hand that the intro video was not inspired by Rush in any way. :lol

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2014, 12:21:47 AM »
 :lol Are you sure?? ??

Seriously though it was way cooler and more intense, but a similar idea.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2014, 03:39:47 PM »
 I like the Static setlist. It lends itself to a better stage production and light show. It makes it easier for the performers to put on a show without having to worry about hashing out different songs and setlists for different nights. Thats why Rush has such great stage production, everyone including the crew know exaxtly what to do throughout the tour. Now Dream Theater is doing the same thing and I hope they keep it that way. The DT show in Seattle was picture perfect, best I've seen so far! followed closely by Systematic Chaos/Prog nation 2008 tour..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2014, 03:42:00 PM »
I can tell you first hand that the intro video was not inspired by Rush in any way. :lol

*Virtual backhand*
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2014, 01:07:59 AM »
I think I get what the Topic Creator was getting at, I mean watching the Clockwork Angels DVD does seem really similar to the presentation of the current Dream Theater tour. In the sense that it just feels similar or reminiscent of the vibe from the band and audiences at these performances. Whether that was intentional or not is probably irrelevant because at the end of the day it's just both bands have a good balance of; expression of ideas, but also recognising the humorous side to all these things aswell, as opposed to being entirely serious.

Anyway, it's good like this. But all I really want is for DT to keep giving us albums every 2 years, because that's just completely awesome.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2014, 01:10:20 AM »
You know, for DT to claim that their biggest influences were Rush and Iron Maiden, shouldn't they be doing a little more Iron Maideny stuff? Like, when is James gonna get his pilot's license? Or... Sea captain license?
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline brash47

« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2014, 03:40:46 AM »
You guys need to dig a little further back. RUSH is a huge influence on DT, as is Iron Maiden. But, do not forget a tour they did with Yes. If you look back at the bands that were popular when Yes was in the limelight, you see the advent of the huge stage presentation.

Yes I consider the kings of the huge stage show. The Crab Nebula Stage, the Circular Stage in the middle of an arena that spun. Don't leave out Genesis with Peter Gabriel....wild whacky shows. If you look into some very old David Bowie, you will see huge productions. Look at some Jethro Tull concerts. Ian Anderson and the circus they put on for people was amazing.

The taped and video intros were huge with Yes back in the day. Bill Bruford did some huge drum solos, as did Alan White, although none as good as Neil P from RUSH.

As someone said earlier, with the large light and electronic show going on, the static set list is almost a must. Having to constantly change videos, lights, and sound for each instrument and musician is a massive task for any crew. The room for error when you do that is a bit too much to make a great band known for outstanding live performance. Just a couple of fuck ups and that amazing set could grind to a halt and the show take a horrible turn.

brash

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2014, 11:01:56 AM »
I'm hoping this isn't going to be a permanent case, with the light show and all that. Personally, I have nothing against static setlists. My problem is with the show itself. Yes, it's beautiful and the presentation is amazing. And that helps, when it's a band that plays simple and catchy songs. But DT's level of complexity is such that half the fun of seeing their live shows, is watching THEM play the music, and interact with one another.
Personally, during the current set, I hardly even bothered to glance at the screen when they performed Enigma Machine, because I was much more interested in what the musicians were doing.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2014, 01:01:33 PM »
Definately moving in that direction. The Rush business model is all over this tour.

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2014, 02:27:25 PM »
I agree I hope it's not the permanent case, but I love it just for now. I think I already said that though  :laugh:

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2014, 04:39:12 AM »
I would almost see LESS of a production.  If the entire performance must be tied to a click track, just so all the production elements come off without a hitch, I don't know, that seems a little sterile to me.

I think of a band of phenomenal musicians like Umphrey's McGee, they have great live presentation without relying on click tracks or static setlists, even varying songs in the moment.  I know they are a slightly different genre than DT, but DT went years without using click tracks, and as a result some crazy things or one-of-a-kind performances happened.  No chance of that happening now, and it's kind of sad, in a way.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.