Author Topic: Patents...  (Read 482 times)

Offline PowerSlave

Patents...
« on: April 20, 2014, 01:53:09 AM »
http://www.alternet.org/economy/5-things-know-about-how-corporations-block-access-everything-lifesaving-drugs-scientific

I found this article over at fark and thought it was pretty interesting. It's a subject that I don't know a lot about, but I thought that I could learn some things by reading some what some of you have to say about it.

Thoughts?
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline Scheavo

Re: Patents...
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2014, 08:05:07 PM »
As with everything in our current government, there is corruption that benefits large corporations. I completely agree we need to do away with it, but I don't think the solution is to get rid of patents, or the government, entirely.

I think one thing often overlooked in the patent discussion is the fact that patenting it also makes it public information. WD-40 isn't patented because the company wants to keep the product a trade secret, and without copywriting it, they don't have to divulge the exact formula. Patents help idea's spread as much as they keep them the exclusive market of individuals.

I also don't see why eminent domain of intellectual property shouldn't exist. Amazing drug that cures people for cancer, is cheap to make, and safe? Government should be able to make that public through the same process as eminent domain (which includes compensating at a fair market value).

That's my two cents on the issue. Copywriting and patents are a valuable and important part of society. There's a reason it's a specific power and desire of our Constitution.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
    • Hopped on Pop
Re: Patents...
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2014, 08:51:53 PM »
Unfortunately the eminent domain thing ain't gonna happen; it's the same corrupt corporation deal, where even shortening the term of copyright duration they'd decry as an unlawful taking by the government.

In short, the whole thing's fucked.
I am an SJW (Super Jewish Warrior)
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.