Metallica's Worst Decade ?

1983 - 1992
1 (1.3%)
1993 - 2002
13 (16.3%)
2003 - 2013
66 (82.5%)

Total Members Voted: 80

Author Topic: Metallica's Worst Decade ?  (Read 4682 times)

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Metallica's Worst Decade ?
« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2014, 08:00:14 AM »
Two studio albums, and one of them was St. Anger?

Yeah, that's the worst of them.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2014, 08:00:39 AM »
Where's the vote for every decade is the worst. ;)
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2014, 08:04:43 AM »
In a different thread - not about Metallica ?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2014, 08:14:02 AM »
I saw them on the MOP tour and AJFA but never was a big fan.  I would say the 2000's is their worst output.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2014, 08:41:25 AM »
Where's the vote for every decade is the worst. ;)
It's in the thread where everyone and everything is wrong. ;)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: April 20, 2014, 09:25:49 AM »
I also posted this same thread on the Metallica forum and the most recent decade is also winning by a factor of 4 over there too.

:biggrin:

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #41 on: April 20, 2014, 10:13:57 AM »
Hero Of The Day
Mama Said
Bleeding Me
The Outlaw Torn
Carpe Diem Baby
Where The Wild Things Are
Low Man's Lyric
Fixxxer

I don't think there's anything on Saint Anger or Death Magnetic as good as the best of Load or Reload.

Hard to beat The Outlaw Torn and Hero of the Day, but I'd say All Nightmare Long quite easily beats a lot of the others. Aside from that, there isn't much from the 2003 - 2013 era that beats out some of those other options, so this most recent Metallica decade is definitely their lowest.

Beyond Magnetic pleasantly surprised me actually. Hate Train and Rebel of Babylon were simply OK, but Just a Bullet Away and Hell and Back were pretty damn good. Those two would have easily made Death Magnetic a better album and why they were left out in favor of some of the songs that did appear on the album is beyond me.

Offline 425

« Reply #42 on: April 20, 2014, 11:52:13 AM »
Hero Of The Day
Mama Said
Bleeding Me
The Outlaw Torn
Carpe Diem Baby
Where The Wild Things Are
Low Man's Lyric
Fixxxer

I don't think there's anything on Saint Anger or Death Magnetic as good as the best of Load or Reload.

Replace Carpe Diem Baby with Until It Sleeps, THEN you'll have the best of L/R. And I think I would agree that there's nothing on DM that can beat them, but there are some that I think would come close...
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: April 20, 2014, 12:33:18 PM »
Unnamed Feeling from St. Anger is a good song with a terrible production.

But Unforgiven III from Death Magnetic is a shit song with shit production.

Offline TL

« Reply #44 on: April 20, 2014, 01:22:19 PM »
Can anyone see Metallica lasting another 10 years ? They're all 50 now and have released two original studio albums in the last 15 years.

If the next album is a big success - they should tour the arse off it and retire on a high point.
Now that you mention it, it is a bit difficult to see.
I think it will heavily depend on when they actually release their next album, and how that album is received.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: April 20, 2014, 06:27:05 PM »
Assuming that the new album comes out late 2015 - That will put most of the band in the 50 - 55 age bracket.

Also - If they were to take a further 5-7 years to release an 11th studio album - they would be around about 60 years old.

Kirk and Lars can barely play as it is.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #46 on: April 20, 2014, 07:07:12 PM »
They're conserving energy for the long haul, you dummy.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #47 on: April 20, 2014, 09:39:50 PM »
Given that for the past decade Hammett and Ulrich have been shadows of what they used to be, I think it would be in their best interests to get out as much music as possible while they still can. DM was already beyond their current capabilities, and that was 6 years ago now.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: April 21, 2014, 09:45:43 AM »
I'm running this poll on two forums and the most recent decade is winning by 75% in both. :p

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #49 on: April 21, 2014, 12:46:16 PM »
Definitely 2003 to 2013.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #50 on: April 21, 2014, 12:46:26 PM »
I took a listen to the sequels to Unforgiven.  I actually like those better than the Unforgiven I (though maybe listen to that one on the radio, a lot, has soured my experience).  Granted, both of those still, at most, a little average listening song (although I like Unforgiven II a lot).

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: April 21, 2014, 12:47:52 PM »
I like Unforgiven 2 the most and 3 is just bad. The awful production and solos don't help.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #52 on: April 21, 2014, 01:44:03 PM »

Offline 425

« Reply #53 on: April 21, 2014, 03:13:11 PM »
I like Unforgiven III, actually. Not one of my favorites on the album but not bad either. I do agree that it's the worst of the trilogy, and I think Unforgiven II is indeed the best. I think it's actually a good trilogy of songs, all the way through, though.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: April 21, 2014, 03:14:08 PM »
Low Man's Lyrics repeats the line " Please forgive me ". It would have made a better Unforgiven III had it not have been on Reload.

Offline 425

« Reply #55 on: April 21, 2014, 03:17:40 PM »
I REALLY like Low Man's Lyric. I don't know how to describe it, really, and there's no doubt that the lyrics make it a rather uncomfortable song, but it's just full of great melody.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #56 on: April 21, 2014, 03:35:37 PM »
I REALLY like Low Man's Lyric. I don't know how to describe it, really, and there's no doubt that the lyrics make it a rather uncomfortable song, but it's just full of great melody.

Fuck yes it is. It's a wonderful song.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: April 21, 2014, 03:51:13 PM »
Reload has an unfair rep as being the shit left over from Load - when if anything it has better "filler" and is overall more rocking than Load.

It has gems like Devil's Dance, Carpe Diem Baby, Where The Wild Things Are, Memory Remains, Low Man's Lyric & Fixxxer.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: April 21, 2014, 04:06:11 PM »
Definitely the last decade.  Death Magnetic was a solid album and better than a lot of the 90s when you compare album to album, but theres a lot of really good songs in those 90s albums that when combined just blow the last decade out of the water.  Maybe if Metallica could make more music then it could be closer.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: April 21, 2014, 04:12:58 PM »
I've noticed Metallica don't really like to capitalise on big successes :P

Made a hugely successful album with " Metallica " - took 5 years to release a highly controversial bluesy follow up.

Made a hugely successful album with " Death Magnetic " - 6 years and counting to release a follow up.

Instead of riding the wave of renewed interest in the band after DM - they made a collab album which everyone pretty much hated and a movie which nobody saw.

Offline 425

« Reply #60 on: April 21, 2014, 04:16:56 PM »
Reload has an unfair rep as being the shit left over from Load - when if anything it has better "filler" and is overall more rocking than Load.

It has gems like Devil's Dance, Carpe Diem Baby, Where The Wild Things Are, Memory Remains, Low Man's Lyric & Fixxxer.

Here's the thing with me and Reload: both it and its predecessor are, to me, difficult to listen to as full albums. They're both very long albums of mostly the same style with a lot of very generic-sounding songs. As a result, I've only listened to Reload once or twice as a full album. I kept getting fatigued! So I pulled out the tracks that were memorable to me from both albums, worked through some of those, and eventually made my single album playlist of what I think is the best 78 minutes from that era. Those songs I've listened to a lot, the rest of the songs, those on Reload in particular, have only a couple of listens.

My version of Load, for reference, is:

1. Fuel
2. The Memory Remains
3. The House That Jack Built
4. Until It Sleeps
5. Bleeding Me
6. Hero of the Day
7. Fixxxer
8. Mama Said
9. Where the Wild Things Are
10. Low Man's Lyric
11. The Unforgiven II
12. The Outlaw Torn

Runtime: 78 minutes

The first two you list are songs that I've just not listened to that much. Devil's Dance was one that I think made my list for songs I would consider putting on there but ultimately decided it wasn't worth it. Most of the other Reload songs I've just found to be utterly forgettable—I can't remember a single thing about Prince Charming, for example, or Slither (in fact I had to check the tracklisting to make sure that I wasn't just imagining that Metallica had a song called Slither too). But Carpe Diem Baby was the one that stuck out to me as "I don't like this one at all. This one bothers me." I guess that puts me in a minority among people who actually listen to this era of Metallica, but it just bothers me. I think it's a combination of I don't like the lyrics one bit and that I don't like the vocal melodies one bit. So all that was basically to say that it always perplexes me a bit when I see people listing that one among the best of Reload, because I find it to be one of the worst.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: April 21, 2014, 04:26:32 PM »
To be perfectly honest - the only songs from Load & Reload I really don't like are Ronnie & Poor Twisted Me.

The rest are enjoyable on some level for me.

Offline 425

« Reply #62 on: April 21, 2014, 04:44:40 PM »
I actually like Ronnie for some twisted reason. It's just so outright... whatever it is, and isn't ashamed to display it. HE SAID, LOST MY WAY, THIS BLOODY DAY. Poor Twisted Me is not good though, I agree there. I think everything on Load aside from it and Wasting My Hate is at least moderately enjoyable to me. As for Reload, there are really some songs that I just haven't heard enough, but those ones come off as generic to me. Carpe Diem Baby as I said is somewhat off-putting, and what I remember about Better Than You and Bad Seed is slightly off-putting.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: April 21, 2014, 04:48:16 PM »
Most people hate Bad Seed - but i love the groove on it. I'm kinda obsessed with feel and groove and rhythm.

A good riff at exactly the right tempo will do it for me.

There's also that lyric that goes " drop the disguise, spit it up, spit it out. " - i just love how Het weaves the lyrics around the rhythm.   

Offline 425

« Reply #64 on: April 21, 2014, 04:52:36 PM »
I may have to take a run at Reload again in the near future. I also really like feel and groove.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #65 on: April 21, 2014, 05:17:05 PM »
One day I'm gonna do a poll asking two questions:

1. How old are you?

2. How much do you like Metallica's Load?

I just have this feeling that the younger you are, the more likely you are to like Load.  :rollin
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline 425

« Reply #66 on: April 21, 2014, 05:20:54 PM »
I think that's probably true on account of not having the experience of having been a fan at the time and going through the whole experience of being unprepared for the band to take that left turn.

1. 17
2. I would rate it somewhere in the vicinity of 6/10. That average would be higher for my personal playlist of the best tracks of both albums, though.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #67 on: April 21, 2014, 05:37:27 PM »
How old are you, Jaq?

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: April 21, 2014, 05:43:41 PM »
i'm 35 and I prefer Load and Reload to And Justice For All.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: April 21, 2014, 06:17:53 PM »
Load has a few good songs and a lot of forgettable stuff, Id rate it around 5 or 6 / 10.  I actually became a fan of Metallica after Reload was released and the singles got tons of radio play.  I remember then getting Master of Puppets and pretty much never listened to Reload again.