Author Topic: Dream Theater Signing, April 19, 2014 (Any Questions You Want Answered?)  (Read 1987 times)

Offline Lark the Starless

• Engrish.
So DT will be at a signing at Fingerprints (music store) in Long Beach, CA tomorrow for Record Store Day, before the concert at the Orpheum later that night.

I already preordered the 12" picture disc version of IT that they are releasing for that day and I will have an opportunity to have the guys sign some of my albums and to briefly talk to them.

In order to not look completely starstruck (since it'll be my first time "meeting" the guys), do you guys have any questions you would like answered?

Can't wait for tomorrow: signing and a concert?! My body is ready.

Offline Madman Shepherd

What vegetables do they most resemble?

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
What happened to the lava lamps.

This NEEDS to be asked, ASAP.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

• Engrish.
Check. And check.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
DID THEY EVER SEE THE RED LIGHT?
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
Thoughts on anything to do with a new album? (Yes, I know there probably won't be any answers here)
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

• Engrish.
You guys suck  :lol

Screw it, I'll come up with questions, you'll see...

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
Do they already have some ideas in mind regarding the setlists for the upcoming summer shows? Any songs that definitely will be switched out, or any songs that will probably be played?

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
Are there plans for a second NA leg, and will they play in markets that were not chosen for the first leg? (aka DT COEM TO TEH TESSASS :lol )

Have a great time tomorrow!!!

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Ask each of them what they consider to be DT's start date.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

:lol Nice!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Invisible

:clap: :rollin

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
Well played, rumby :lol

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
What are their favorite tracks 4 and 5 from the Rudess era albums?

Offline Sycsa

What vegetables do they most resemble?
Wow, the forum was indeed terrible lately. :lol

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline Infinite Cactus

• DT.net Member
What happened to the lava lamps

DID THEY EVER SEE THE RED LIGHT?

Ask JP the red light question, pause until there is awkward silence. As soon as he begins to talk, scream "ROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR" in his face.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
If someone doesn't find out what Mangini's favorite brand of cigar is I'm gonna lose my mind.  I've been attempting to get that answered since the Q&A they did for us.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Is anything certain in life?

Offline nikatapi

Are they aware of the production quality criticisms, and are they going to change the mixing - mastering staff?

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
What brand of hair straightener does Mangini use?

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
Do you go to the bathroom during Mangini's solo?
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni

:rollin

Could this be the end?
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline Invisible

To JP: aren't you suposed to be dead today and resurrect tomorrow?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
To Mangini : How does he compare Steve Vai and John Petrucci with regards to technique etc ?

Offline RaiseTheKnife

Fingerprints Record Signing:

I asked if it would be too much to do two meet and greets in one day, and DTF responded with “Of course NOT!”  Event had a great turnout, and always a pleasure to chat with fellow fans in line.   If Lark doesn’t object, I’ll post my questions and answers with the band here.  DT's replies are in bold:   

James Labrie

•   I assume that people outside of the DT community call you Kevin.  Do other band members call you Kevin, or do they call you James?  He said that his wife and anyone who knew him before his time in the band still call him Kevin.  But professionally, everyone calls him James (I think this means the band too).  He added that it simply would not be appropriate for anyone within the DT world, such as the fans, to call him Kevin.  And since James is his middle name anyway, he’s fine with the DT community knowing him as James.

Jordan Rudess

•   Is there a song in the DT catalog you really would like to play, but have not – or is there a song that you don’t look forward to learning? (JP peeked over to hear his answer) He replied that, of course, he looks forward to the songs from the new album that have not been played yet. As far as any other song in the DT archive, he is happy to learn whatever songs are called upon.

John Petrucci

•   Has Kevin Moore made any comment regarding the live performance of Space Dye Vest?  “No.  None.”

•   With the successful reaction to Space Dye Vest in the setlist, I think slower tempo songs like Anna Lee and Wither add so much depth and breathing room to a setlist.  “I agree! I agree!”

Mike Mangini

•   There are still two extra bass drums in your kit.  Are these being used as triggers for sound effects during this tour? [btw, I asked this on behalf of a DTF member here]:  Yes.  He told me he uses the triggers on (1) Trial of Tears (I believe I noticed it as the opening wind chimes and the wasteland thunderclap) and (2) Enigma Machine (MM plays the melody during drum solo, and emphasizes this by pointing down at the pedal when hitting the note with his foot)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Great questions, RTK!

Except maybe the JR question. Never ask a "which do you like least" question, you never get an answer on those, for obvious reasons.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

yeah, in retrospect that would have been a better question for Mangini anyway.  I mean, Jordan has already played almost the entire catalog.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
I'm saying in general, you'll never get more than a "I love 'em all" answer. No seasoned artist will badmouth a song that might be some people's favorite.

Offline Madman Shepherd

I learned more from those questions you have asked than I have from the last 20 DT interviews I have read/listened to. 

BTW, when James LaBrie first got a facebook he was Kevin LaBrie.  Of course being an older dude that doesn't understand technology his facebook was completely open and added whoever sent him a friends request.  After seeing a handful of people post on his wall "Thanks for accepting my request, I'm a big fan!"  I thought to myself, well, I guess I'll be a creeper too.  He only had a few hundred friends by that point and accepted my request.  Some woman, I'm assuming a childhood friend of his, posted a picture of them together at some bar and commented, "Kevin, it was so good to see you and Karen!" 

Last year he finally deleted it because it was ridiculous.  Thousands of fans posting stuff on his wall on a daily basis.  Tagging him in pictures of themselves that have nothing to do with anything.  So now he only has his fan page.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

Thanks, Madman. The question I was most curious to ask was regarding if Kevin Moore had expressed a reaction to the live playing of SDV.  I'm sure he is aware they are playing it, as it is likely he's getting checks in the mail for each performance (assuming  DT is paying ASCAP a performance royalty (ASCAP is the administrator for the publishing rights for SDV (yes, I verified this))).

When James first  joined FB I added him as Kevin too, which probably planted that question in my mind.  But mostly I was wondering if his attitude was "Jeesh guys, I changed my name because of Kevin Moore and its been 15 years since he left, can we just call me Kevin now?"  Understandably, turns out to be totally the opposite.