Author Topic: JLB: This year, not 2010, is DT's 25th anniversary  (Read 25668 times)

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
JLB: This year, not 2010, is DT's 25th anniversary
« on: April 18, 2014, 12:44:38 PM »
Just saw a new interview in which JLB mentions the band's anniversary.  He feels this year is the 25th, not 2010.  It's not a big deal, but I just thought it was interesting because DT sold a few 25th anniversary items in 2010.  Personally, I have a 25th anniversary hoodie that I wear alot.  So it's interesting to hear that JLB considers this year to be the 25th anniversary.  I wonder if the other guys feel the same way.

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xpUe6RIXKU (6:30 mark)

JLB on 1985: "For me personally, that's when the band formed at Berklee.  But as far as I'm concerned, the way I look at it... The first album came out in 1989, so as far as I'm concerned 2019 will be our 30th.  I always go by when the band released their first album.  I know it was established in 1985, because that's where Mike and John Petrucci and John Myung -- that's where they met.  So the nucleus of the band was formed there, and then it spread out from there.  So, to me, 2015 doesn't really commemorate 30 years for me.  It commemorates 25.  So how about we do something to commemorate our 25th...which would be now.  The 25 years would be now in 2014, if we wanted to do that.  We'll definitely, in 2019, still be going so I think at that point it would be really cool."
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 01:19:30 PM by Mebert78 »
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Setlist Scotty

Re: JLB: This year, not 2010, is DT's 25th anniversary
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 01:03:48 PM »
I know I posted about this before (tho I don't remember where), but I disagree with JL. I've never understood why the band's first album has to mark the official beginning of the band, especially when you consider that they recorded material earlier in their career that was circulated in the public (tho admittedly demos) and that they had multiple band member changes. In a band like Rush, I can understand why they chose 1974 as their starting point, because that's when Neil joined the band. But for DT, it makes more sense just to count from 1985 onward, especially since this has been how things have been counted from 2000 onward (the Metropolis 2000 tourbook marked the 15th anniversary).
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 01:13:44 PM »
The other thing is, considering that even WDADU was originally supposed to be released under the name "Majesty" one can say that Dream Theater wasn't a band until 1989 anyway.

To say, "That's when we started jamming" is not something I would consider the beginning of a band, just because people who would become its members were already around at that point.

Disturbed, for example, at first was known as "Brawl" (later Crawl). They didn't have an album or anything, and it wasn't until they hired David Draiman that he suggested they name the band Disturbed. Personally, I would say that was the point when Disturbed became a band.

With Dream Theater, it's a little more fuzzy than that, but I would say that Dream Theater as we know them, at the very least started after they hired Charlie Dominici, and not before, when they had Chris Collins and the Majesty demos.

Either way, there can be many potential answers as to when a band becomes a band, but if JLB feels that a band's discography defines their existence, then I see nothing wrong with that. And, it means that my DT 25th anniversary T-Shirt is still current this year.  :biggrin:

"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 01:19:38 PM »
Yeah, have to disagree with James here as well. Under his definition, I only ever played in one single band, because the others didn't produce a recording.
To me a band starts existence the moment the band members decide they're in one. And that will have happened very early on with DT.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 01:30:08 PM »
Think of a band like a marriage: do most married couples celebrate the anniversary of when they first started dating?  No.  They celebrate their wedding anniversary, just like most bands celebrate the anniversary of their first album.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2014, 01:33:43 PM »
I'm not particularly precious about anniversaries, so I'm probably not the best person to ask, but When Dream and Day Unite is the moment the band emerged, screaming, into the world. You can count it a lot of different ways - if they want to celebrate a thirtieth in 2019, I won't object!

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2014, 01:36:53 PM »
It all comes down *what* anniversary is being celebrated. If you're just saying "DT's anniversary", you can mean the start of the band, the first album, the first time MP took a shit in the tour bus toilet, whatever. To me, *without* any specific specifier preceding the word "anniversary", I will talk about the band. And the band has existed since 1985.

Think of a band like a marriage: do most married couples celebrate the anniversary of when they first started dating?  No.  They celebrate their wedding anniversary, just like most bands celebrate the anniversary of their first album.

But when you ask a couple how long they've been together, I'm quite sure they will include how long they had been dating before that. With JLB's analogy, dating couples are never "together" until they get married.

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2014, 01:38:27 PM »
Oh No!  Marriage analogies . . .  :lol

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2014, 01:42:40 PM »
A band's anniversary should ultimately be up to the band; when they formed, when their debut came out, what have you. I'd personally have it when the debut came out since, yeah, we'd have been jamming for perhaps years before then, but that's when we came out into the world  and first received wider exposure.

In the case of DT:
the first time MP took a shit in the tour bus toilet

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2014, 01:44:07 PM »

That's the thing, too. Usually when a bunch of guys start jamming and want to start a band, I mean, there are a lot of milestones. When the idea first came to mind with JP, JM and MP. But then, they said, "We need a keyboard player and a vocalist" so at that point, the band wasn't complete yet, and if it's incomplete, I would say it's not a band. Then they got Moore and Collins, okay, now they have every musician they need to have a band, so that's one milestone. First demo, , first gig, first record deal, and even then, there are steps, "When was the phone call made, when was the contract signed." It's all very fuzzy. I can't imagine JP, JM and MP still remember the exact day and month of when they first decided, "This should be a legitimate band." But once that album drops, it has a solid, concrete release date, and it's the date when people would be able to go to a store and see this band on the shelves, and purchase their music.

I'm not particularly precious about anniversaries, so I'm probably not the best person to ask, but When Dream and Day Unite is the moment the band emerged, screaming, into the world. You can count it a lot of different ways - if they want to celebrate a thirtieth in 2019, I won't object!

You know, that's a good metaphor. Instead of a marriage metaphor, a baby metaphor is better. You don't celebrate when a baby's parents first made that sweet love that conceived the baby, or when the doctor announced that they're pregnant. You know it's there, that it exists, but you only celebrate it once it's actually born, and out for the world to see. So first album is a legitimate time, if someone chooses to see it that way.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2014, 01:47:05 PM »
I find it rather peculiar DT would play a song on their 20th anniversary concert, Another Won, that is from their "doesn't count" era. Discounting the 6 tracks on the Majesty demos just because they weren't release on a shiny CD does not make a lot of sense to me.

I'm pretty sure most bands on this planet would meet you with incredulous laughter if you told them that none of their demos count, that they only become a "real band" when they release a CD, even though they had a ton of gigs already. No offense to James, but I also wouldn't be surprised if JM and JP disagree with him on that one. The years they labored to get the band off the ground, I'm pretty sure they don't just relegate that to "jam band" status. It might just be easy to view it that way for James since he wasn't part of it.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 01:56:45 PM by rumborak »

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2014, 01:56:20 PM »
I find it rather peculiar DT would play a song on their 20th anniversary concert, Another Won, that is from their "doesn't count" era. Discounting the 6 tracks on the Majesty demos just because they weren't release on a shiny CD does not make a lot of sense to me.

Well, first of all, I think that just like Raise The Knife, Another Won was a song that was good enough that it really deserved an official release, even if it was in live format, and Score was the perfect platform to do it. The songs on the Majesty Demos were just that, demos. The band had a different name, different vocalist and a different approach back then. At most, it was an early prototype of what would become Dream Theater. With Another Won having gotten an official live release, I would say that's the only song from that era that's been inducted into the Dream Theater discography. Every thing else, Two Far, Your Majesty, etc. Those are songs by a band called Majesty, again, with a different vocalist, different approach, etc, so I wouldn't go about counting them as a part of DT's discography.

Second, yes, the band has always said they were established in 85, I mean, it's on the official jacket, and that's why they played Another Won. It was a special treat for those who knew the band's history. But honestly, to me, it always seemed like, they said they were established in 85, just to make themselves seem like they've been around longer. I truly always thought that it was a little pretentious to say that DT has been around for that long.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2014, 02:00:31 PM »
With Another Won having gotten an official live release, I would say that's the only song from that era that's been inducted into the Dream Theater discography.

Yeah, let's just say we won't agree on this one. The fact that a live play can elevate a song to "proper discography" whereas the songs from the same demo are considered "different band", yeah, no.
To me the Majesty demos are the absolute most-late point where I would say the band was "proper". And that was in 1986.

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2014, 02:01:17 PM »
With Another Won having gotten an official live release, I would say that's the only song from that era that's been inducted into the Dream Theater discography.

Yeah, let's just say we won't agree on this one. The fact that a live play can elevate a song to "proper discography" whereas the songs from the same demo are considered "different band", yeah, no.

Okay, then you can say that Another Won was a Majesty cover song.  :biggrin:

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2014, 02:23:43 PM »
To me, JLB's comment brings a more interesting question than which year is the proper 25th.  His comment shows the band was not on the same page in 2010 when they unveiled the 25th anniversary merchandise campaign.  JLB was clearly not on board with it.  He seems pretty firm in his stance that this year is the 25th.  So, the obvious question is, who spearheaded all the 25th anniversary stuff -- the band or management?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 02:45:21 PM by Mebert78 »
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2014, 02:29:10 PM »
I am curious about what JP thinks, but from the sounds of it, it doesn't seem like JLB feels too strongly about the issue. It's not like he spoke out saying, "It was wrong of us to do that in 2010."

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2014, 02:31:17 PM »
To me, JLB's comment brings a more interesting question than which year is the proper 25th.  His comment shows the band was not on the same page in 2010 when they unveiled the 25th anniversary merchandise campaign.  JLB was clearly not on board with it.  He seems pretty firm in his stance that this year is the 25th.  So, the obvious question is, who spearheaded all the 25th anniversary stuff -- the band or management?

MP, probably.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2014, 02:34:53 PM »
Frankly, I don't give a damn about all this, but officially calling Score the 20th anniversary is binding and there's no way out of it now.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 02:43:18 PM by Sycsa »

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2014, 02:36:28 PM »

MP, probably.

Exactly. JP probably had to sign off on it, but I'm pretty sure James and Jordan had no vote in it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2014, 02:53:25 PM »

While we are on marriage analogies, do you still celebrate an anniversary when the father who raised the baby quit the family?

:marriageanalogy:

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2014, 02:55:15 PM »

While we are on marriage analogies, do you still celebrate an anniversary when the father who raised the baby quit the family?

Dont cross the crooked step.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2014, 02:57:52 PM »

Dont cross the crooked step.

Wait... How's Mangini crooked?
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2014, 03:10:17 PM »

They never saw the signs. He never said a word.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2014, 03:11:44 PM »
DID THEY EVER SEE THE RED LIGHT

« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2014, 03:17:36 PM »
INVENTORY!

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2014, 03:19:42 PM »

This.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2014, 03:29:35 PM »
SUCKIN' ON HIS PIPE.

LOL marriage analogies.  You might as well talk about when life begins.  At conception or birth.  Doesn't really matter does it?
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2014, 03:31:21 PM »
SUCKIN' ON HIS PIPE.

LOL marriage analogies.  You might as well talk about when life begins.  At conception or birth.  Doesn't really matter does it?

I just addressed this a few posts ago:

Instead of a marriage metaphor, a baby metaphor is better. You don't celebrate when a baby's parents first made that sweet love that conceived the baby, or when the doctor announced that they're pregnant. You know it's there, that it exists, but you only celebrate it once it's actually born, and out for the world to see. So first album is a legitimate time, if someone chooses to see it that way.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2014, 03:51:33 PM »
I can only scratch my head here, and maybe it's because most of you have never been in a band. The first few years of any band are exceedingly important and formative. It's where the groundwork and structures are laid down for whatever comes after.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2014, 04:00:04 PM »
Frankly, I don't give a damn about all this, but officially calling Score the 20th anniversary is binding and there's no way out of it now.

:rollin
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2014, 04:05:33 PM »
It all comes down *what* anniversary is being celebrated. If you're just saying "DT's anniversary", you can mean the start of the band, the first album, the first time MP took a shit in the tour bus toilet, whatever. To me, *without* any specific specifier preceding the word "anniversary", I will talk about the band. And the band has existed since 1985.

But when you ask a couple how long they've been together, I'm quite sure they will include how long they had been dating before that. With JLB's analogy, dating couples are never "together" until they get married.
Thank you rumbo - I completely agree! If JL is referring to the anniversary of the band, then it's 1985 or 1986 at the latest since that's when the first full line up existed. If he wants to talk about album anniversaries, then 1989 would be it, assuming he's referring to the anniversary of WDaDU (as if they'd ever celebrate that anniversary with a mini set or perform a side of that album...) ::)

I can't imagine JP, JM and MP still remember the exact day and month of when they first decided, "This should be a legitimate band."
Maybe JP and JM can't remember, but I'd be willing to bet there's at least a 50% chance that MP does!

You know, that's a good metaphor. Instead of a marriage metaphor, a baby metaphor is better. You don't celebrate when a baby's parents first made that sweet love that conceived the baby, or when the doctor announced that they're pregnant. You know it's there, that it exists, but you only celebrate it once it's actually born, and out for the world to see. So first album is a legitimate time, if someone chooses to see it that way.
I get what you're saying, but I still think the marriage metaphor is more appropriate, since it's the celebration of the union of individuals, not simply what they produce (children or music).

The songs on the Majesty Demos were just that, demos. The band had a different name, different vocalist and a different approach back then. At most, it was an early prototype of what would become Dream Theater. With Another Won having gotten an official live release, I would say that's the only song from that era that's been inducted into the Dream Theater discography. Every thing else, Two Far, Your Majesty, etc. Those are songs by a band called Majesty, again, with a different vocalist, different approach, etc, so I wouldn't go about counting them as a part of DT's discography.
But you're still ignoring the fact that AW was produced by that first line up of musicians. And don't get me started on the excuse that they had a different name, a different vocalist and a different approach. They are still the same band as they were with different members. It's obvious you're not discounting Kevin Moore, Derek Sherinian or even Charlie Dominici, so why do that to Chris Collins? And I've already argued the name thing with you - the ONLY reason why we aren't calling the band Majesty today is because there was another band that already had the name. So the name issue means nothing. And as for having a different approach, even that I would argue. Yes, it's true that they may not write music the same way as they did way-back-when, but that's a matter of growth and maturity, not a complete change of direction. I would counter with the example of Pantera, who had a different vocalist for their first 3 albums, and even after they got Phil, they continued in the hair-metal/cock-rock style for their 4th album. They might be an example of a "different" band, and even then I would have my doubts. But with Majesty/DT, it's the same friggin' band.

Let's also not forget that ALL 6 of the songs on the Majesty demo tape, as well as a few other Majesty-era tracks (The School Song, Cry For Freedom, Resurrection of Ernie and maybe others) were all listed on the back of 20th anniversary T-shirt, along with all the other DT tracks. So your argument that these other songs don't count holds no water.

MP, probably.
Exactly. JP probably had to sign off on it, but I'm pretty sure James and Jordan had no vote in it.
I agree with rumbo - probably was MP.

Even if JL and JR disagreed, they aren't original members of the band, nor are they leaders in the band, so if the original members/leaders in the band say so, who are they to argue?
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2014, 04:11:57 PM »
I can only scratch my head here, and maybe it's because most of you have never been in a band. The first few years of any band are exceedingly important and formative. It's where the groundwork and structures are laid down for whatever comes after.

I've been in a band. It only lasted a few months and we didn't play any gigs and only released a rough demo single on MySpace. And while yes, I would say that we were a band, and we did exist at that time, but I would still say that those were early developing stages of the band. If you think of a band like a franchise, then it only exists as an officially released, finished product. If we had stuck around for a year, and then a year later, we had member changes that caused our sound to change, and were forced to change our name, then I would consider that a new band.

So you're right, the groundwork and structures are laid out, but like I said, it's a development stage, like making a movie franchise, or like I said, having a baby. Those development stages are when the people who are to represent the brand come together and develop that brand into what it eventually becomes, but until that moment, it's all just work in progress, or a "band in the making" as the case would be.

Maybe that's the difference. Whether a person sees the band as a product, or whether they see a band as a group of people who get together and make music. Personally, to me, a band, if you give it an official name, is a product. Dream Theater is a franchise, and as a franchise, it came to fruition in 1989.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2014, 04:21:10 PM »
I don't mind the band celebrating their 30th anniversary in 2019... except I do, because Score marked their 20th anniversary and was released in 2005. That doesn't make sense.

Except for when they're doing this in a tetradecimal system. In which case the band would have been formed in 1977. Well, it's Dream Theater, so I guess everything is possible.

« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2014, 04:25:19 PM »
Except for when they're doing this in a tetradecimal system. In which case the band would have been formed in 1977. Well, it's Dream Theater, so I guess everything is possible.

Wat?

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2014, 04:25:54 PM »
 :biggrin: