Author Topic: BlobVanDam tour video appreciation thread  (Read 10750 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
BlobVanDam tour video appreciation thread
« on: April 18, 2014, 08:13:02 AM »
Because these NEED to be appreciated.  Best work so far.  I especially loved the drive-in theater screen effect.  :clap:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
Re: BlobVanDam tour video appreciation thread
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 08:15:51 AM »
I agree.  I've mentioned this in other threads, as have others, but definitely deserves it's own thread.  Mandatory bonus material on the Boston DVD.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 10:07:57 AM »
Indeed.   The video was an excellent opener. 

If Blob wouldn't mind answering, how exactly did you get set up with that job?

Offline Mladen

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 12:23:04 PM »
Blob, you did a terrific job overall, but the intro video was masterful in particular. The transition from BC&SL to ADTOE in combination with the music made my eyes water a bit, I found it touching for some reason. Once again, hats off.  :tup

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 02:49:16 PM »
Plus hats off to all the other video contributors featured in the live show.  Amazing all around.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2014, 03:27:13 PM »
Transforms into a robot dog and humps Blob's leg
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2014, 03:32:13 PM »
Transforms into a robot dog and humps Blob's leg

That would explain why Blob's computer camera is all gummed up!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2014, 04:00:44 PM »
So...going to the LA show tomorrow night, which work is Blobs?  Just the Intro?  Thought I heard somewhere that the video break during IL was someone else's work?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 04:56:22 PM by CrimsonSunrise »

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2014, 04:25:33 PM »
Those videos were amazing, especially the intro video!

Offline Grizz

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2014, 06:52:44 PM »
So...going to the LA show tomorrow night, which work is Blobs?  Just the Intro?  Thought I heard somewhere that the video break during IL was someone else's work?
The intro and everything with a taxi.
Needs moar elephants IMHO.
Can't say I imagined the ADToE unicyclist bald. Do you know what sort of hard/software the touring crew uses to handle the live (drive in) effect?
Also, great vids. There's something truly unique about cheering with everyone for SFaM and cheering alone for BC&SL.
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2014, 07:28:59 PM »
Blob mentioned that anything 3D is his, along with the intro.

I do believe Blob got hooked up with the band because they came across his Action Figuurs (which are prominently displayed during intermission) videos.  IIRC, it was Jordan specifically?

It's funny that the SFAM clip during the intro seems to get the biggest rise out of the audience - both in Toronto and SF at least.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2014, 11:47:36 PM »
Those videos were amazing, especially the intro video!

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2014, 01:06:06 AM »
Hehe, I was actually going to start this exact same thread.

Seriously Blob, some truly tremendous work throughout. I don't think I've ever seen an intro that just fired up the audience to a brilliant boiling point. I tip my hat to you good sir!!!!

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2014, 02:49:58 AM »
The videos were absolutely incredible. Blob has mad skills. Immense amount of talent there.
Check out my various music projects - I’ve got concept albums, singer/songwriter, rock, metal, prog, and more coming soon:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2014, 05:28:25 AM »
Hehe, I was actually going to start this exact same thread.

Seriously Blob, some truly tremendous work throughout. I don't think I've ever seen an intro that just fired up the audience to a brilliant boiling point. I tip my hat to you good sir!!!!

Agreed... best intro ever.  The combo of that video, to their own intro recording was sheer brilliance.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2014, 08:24:03 AM »
Yeah, the intro thing to start the show was really neat, and I thought the compilation of things they used during the intermission was great; very funny and most of that stuff I had never seen before.  I don't remember most of the songs intros, as none really struck me as notable, but again, the intro thing with all of the album covers was definitely good stuff. :tup :tup

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2014, 11:11:17 AM »
I thought all the videos were spectacular!  Even the Astronomical stuff prior to the Intro video.   Simply an outstanding job by Blob!!!   I have to say though, Blob, did you do any of the video that went along with Scarred??   :lol  I thought about you as the song kicked off.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 05:39:46 PM by CrimsonSunrise »

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2014, 01:54:30 PM »
Yeah, these video's were really good. Best intro I have seen for a concert. It set the mood for the evening perfectly.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2014, 02:25:53 PM »
I have to as though, Blob, did you do any of the video that wen along with Scarred??
He'd have quit!

As far as I recall, the False Awakening Suite is the only bit he's done to sync up with the music - most of his work this tour is standalone, the intermissions, the bits between songs. (And will, I'd expect, be featured very heavily on the DVD as such!)

DT works with a whole litany of talented artists, these days. Mika Tyyska did the Enigma Machine video, and I believe the Illumination Theory video was the work of a different artist who also walks among us. Can't remember the handle, at the moment, but drinks are on me! I think we've also got the man who did the (utterly spinechilling) video from The Shattered Fortress in our midst. I mistook it for Lasse Hoile's work, in the arena. Think he did a few more - might've done the new Strange Deja-Vu? SDV looks gorgeous now, the new visuals are a lot more artful than the Metropolis 2000 scenes. [ETA: Thomas Pasieka, Illumination Theory animator, Shattered Fortress videoer, and did Lifting Shadows, too.]

But! This is a Blob thread. Blob, you're an absolute diamond! Always superb, and constantly exceeding yourself. Hats off.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 02:36:23 PM by robwebster »

Offline Grizz

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2014, 03:40:46 PM »
I was hoping to see Metropolis 2000 videos to sync with the stock SFX (except for Julian uttering the female gasp  :facepalm:). The ones done by whomever are great enough.
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2014, 09:49:59 PM »
I have to as though, Blob, did you do any of the video that wen along with Scarred??
He'd have quit!

As far as I recall, the False Awakening Suite is the only bit he's done to sync up with the music - most of his work this tour is standalone, the intermissions, the bits between songs. (And will, I'd expect, be featured very heavily on the DVD as such!)

DT works with a whole litany of talented artists, these days. Mika Tyyska did the Enigma Machine video, and I believe the Illumination Theory video was the work of a different artist who also walks among us. Can't remember the handle, at the moment, but drinks are on me! I think we've also got the man who did the (utterly spinechilling) video from The Shattered Fortress in our midst. I mistook it for Lasse Hoile's work, in the arena. Think he did a few more - might've done the new Strange Deja-Vu? SDV looks gorgeous now, the new visuals are a lot more artful than the Metropolis 2000 scenes. [ETA: Thomas Pasieka, Illumination Theory animator, Shattered Fortress videoer, and did Lifting Shadows, too.]

But! This is a Blob thread. Blob, you're an absolute diamond! Always superb, and constantly exceeding yourself. Hats off.

So how do these people get setup with this job?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2014, 10:12:58 PM »
Thanks guys.  :blush  :laugh: I love you all no homo

If Blob wouldn't mind answering, how exactly did you get set up with that job?

After seeing the 3D videos on the Score DVD (with the newton's cradle etc), I got inspired and really wanted the band to use my work. So back in 2007 when the SC album cover was first released, I made a video of the album cover and tried to get the band to see it. Thanks to the kind folks on the DT-related forums, the video link was sent to the band, and the rest is history. I've been very fortunate to work for them ever since. :)

He'd have quit!

:lol I rarely do videos for previous albums, so I'm safe! It's mostly my niche to cover the current album artwork. As mentioned, there are a lot of very talented artists covering the rest of the video show. I think this tour was probably the biggest ever in terms of contributors and new video. It's a big production.
The two videos for AFTR are also designed to loosely sync, but that's not as critical as it was for FAS. The rest were all standalone bits, which was new for me.

It's funny that the SFAM clip during the intro seems to get the biggest rise out of the audience - both in Toronto and SF at least.

That's universal. :lol I've been watching a bunch of clips of the intro since the first show, and SFAM always gets the biggest reaction by far without fail. ToT usually gets a big pop too.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2014, 02:50:04 AM »

Yes.  Check out the tour program for full credits on each video segment and pre-show visualizations.  There are about 10 contributors works used on this tour.  Blob's stuff truly stands out.  The movie theater screen projecting live footage is genius.   

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2014, 02:53:15 AM »

Yes.  Check out the tour program for full credits on each video segment and pre-show visualizations.  There are about 10 contributors works used on this tour.  Blob's stuff truly stands out.  The movie theater screen projecting live footage is genius.   

DT's video director Johnny Dekam gets full credit for that bit of genius. All I did was supply the still frames for his idea.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2014, 11:23:19 AM »
Since DT aren't coming to my town on this tour and I won't be able to see Blob's masterwork live, I'm really hoping the DVD of the Boston Concert not only his intro video at the concert but also has a high-res special feature synched with FAS. I'd like to see that mother on my 55 inch plasma in full surround sound glory!

The shaky-cam youtube clips just aren't doing it justice.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2014, 11:07:23 AM »
I'm sure after the tour is done, it will be posted on Blob's site, all of his previous work ends up there.

Offline Grizz

« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2014, 12:31:13 PM »
Only about an eighth of it.

Offline lucky7

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2014, 02:05:41 AM »
Finally got to see this Live in Melbourne last night....absolutely amazing...Blob and everyone else who worked on these projects!  :smiley:

So did they end up as an extra on The Boston DVD does anyone know? (I still haven't got this one)

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2014, 02:12:09 AM »
Finally got to see this Live in Melbourne last night....absolutely amazing...Blob and everyone else who worked on these projects!  :smiley:

So did they end up as an extra on The Boston DVD does anyone know? (I still haven't got this one)

The intro with all the album covers starts off the concert on the DVD so yes, it's included :)
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline lucky7

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2014, 02:43:24 AM »
Thank You! Great News....what about the action figure commercials?  :corn

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2014, 03:02:46 AM »
Thank You! Great News....what about the action figure commercials?  :corn

They're not on the DVD though.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2014, 05:23:39 AM »
Finally getting to see it in person on the last show of the tour! :)

Offline lucky7

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2014, 04:26:23 PM »
Better late than never Live!  :smiley:

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2014, 08:52:32 AM »
Dude, I didn't know that was your work! It was very awesome indeed  :tup
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Grizz

« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2014, 07:25:30 PM »
Just watchin' PN09 vids and appreciating the elephants and lighthouses and moons and people banging on glass.
Blob, do the vids become DT's property after you make them?