Home - The Dance Of Eternity - One Last Time
The Great Debate - Disappear
Honor Thy Father - Vacant - Stream Of Consciousness
Panic Attack - Never Enough - Sacrificed Sons
In The Presence Of Enemies (Part 1) - Forsaken - Constant Motion
A Nightmare To Remember - A Rite Of Passage
Far From Heaven - Breaking All Illusions - Beneath The Surface
The Bigger Picture - Behind The Veil - Surrender To Reason

Author Topic: Your favorite of these (mostly) 3-Track 20-26 minute stretches?  (Read 1680 times)

Offline The Letter M

Pretty simple poll. For some albums, I went with natural groupings, like the "A Mind Beside Itself" suite, or the FII run that has the bridging instrumental. For the albums of SDOIT and BC&SL, I only picked two because they both contained one really long track and their albums only have 6 songs on them anyway, so picking 3 would go over my time range.

For IAW, TOT and ADTOE, it was only natural to include the runs where the shorter track preceding a small epic would include themes or a reprise of said shorter track, as well as a track that came before or after said pairing of tracks.

On 8VM, I did the "C-D-E" run of the keys, although I had considered the first three tracks, but I like how the three I picked have a flow together in of themselves. Similarly, I did the "3rd side" of SFAM with Scenes 6 and 7.

Anyways, feel free to vote and explain your choice, and if you want, rank the options!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
Re: Your favorite of these (mostly) 3-Track 20-26 minute stretches?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 11:35:24 PM »
Went with the Systematic Chaos run... My god... the first part of that album is epic to bowl to.

AMBI is nearly tied with it.. but I figured that'd get a lot of votes... So I showed SC the love it deserves but probably wont get.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 12:13:41 AM »
UAGM-WFS-LTL

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 12:33:03 AM »
Voted for the TOT run, but it's pretty close.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 12:55:04 AM »
Definitely the SFAM run. It's the perfect DT trio. A heavy song, a crazy technical song, and a beautiful, melodic ballad.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2014, 04:14:39 AM »
I can't do it.

You pretty much got the best run of WDADU. The I&W set is obviously amazing. A Mind Beside ifself cheats it's way to my top 5 if I can count it as one piece. The FII set is hard to not consider either though, it's a great run of songs. SFAM speaks for itself. SDOIT is cool but if it was The Glass Prison and Blind Faith i'd be more sold. ToT run includes some of my favorites from the album. Even the 8vm line is too epic to ignore (I think you chose a better run than if it had been track 1, 2 and 3). You captured the best parts of SC and some real highlights of BL&SL. Breaking All Illusions and Beneath the Surface are favorites on ADTOE and.. I'm gonna stop. I can't choose.  :facepalm:

Offline krands85

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2014, 05:05:07 AM »
I&W set blows everything else out of the water really. I'd try and rank the rest of the options, but I'm finding it very tricky!
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2014, 06:48:57 AM »
The I&W run... But the Awake run and the DT12 run were a close second and third.  Its just hard to top UAGM, WFS, and LtL.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2014, 07:11:10 AM »
BMS ruins what would otherwise be the best run so I went with the ADTOE one since FFH and BAI are both amazing and BTS is pretty good too.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2014, 07:21:19 AM »
I went with FII. Many of these groupings have songs I don't like in the slightest (TBP, BTS NE, LFAGA), or think are relatively very overrated (LTL, BAI, Home). I'd normally default to whatever the SDOIT option is, but it's only two songs, one of which is the weakest on the album (although still good). Any other tracks, and it would have won my vote.

And I never thought I'd say this, but how is the Awake option not doing much better? A way stronger option than the IaW/ADTOE/DT12 options that are ahead of it. It's currently tied with WDADU! What gives, guys? :lol
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2014, 07:53:51 AM »
And I never thought I'd say this, but how is the Awake option not doing much better? A way stronger option than the IaW/ADTOE/DT12 options that are ahead of it. It's currently tied with WDADU! What gives, guys? :lol
Crikey! Are you feeling all right?!

No, I'm joking, cos I do agree, A Mind Beside Itself is bloody cracking. I don't know if I agree that it's stronger than any of the other triumvirates, but I would've thought that the unity, the flow of the trilogy would have set it in way better stead than some of its competitors for a lot of voters. That said, I'm not one of them, I went DT12!

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2014, 09:05:02 AM »
Definitely the SFAM run. It's the perfect DT trio. A heavy song, a crazy technical song, and a beautiful, melodic ballad.

This. I found the TOT and I&W runs to be close contenders, but the flow of the SFAM run and its inclusion of Home can't be beat.

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2014, 09:24:12 AM »
Also went DT12. Those three songs are magical. Then again, so is the rest of the album  :)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2014, 09:55:46 AM »
This is too hard.  Where do you come up with this stuff?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2014, 09:57:16 AM »
Not hard at all.  I&W option easily.  It contains the best DT album closer of all time.  It's a shame that BAI is stuck between two clunkers on the ADTOE option.  BAI is one of my favorite DT songs.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2014, 11:45:58 AM »

When I'm either in the shower or on the toilet for a very long time while listening to DT music.

I could've picked TGP/BF as Rodni said about, but I figured I'd pick a less popular pairing for that album. Likewise, I could have picked "The Shattered Fortress" and "The Best Of Times" for BC&SL, I picked the opening pairing (the openings for both BC&SL and SC were VERY strong runs). Maybe by coincidence or by design, I did not pick any runs that include songs from the Twelve-Step Suite.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2014, 11:57:13 AM »
This was a very difficult poll. Nearly every selection has top tier moments and I hated to 'vote against' certain favorites like Stream of Consciousness, Disappear, In the Presence of Enemies pt. 1, and the Awake and ADTOE runs. In the end I chose DT12 since there isn't a single moment of those three songs that I don't thoroughly enjoy.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2014, 11:58:01 AM »

When I'm either in the shower or on the toilet for a very long time while listening to DT music.

Or you "stole" the idea from me after I did my 28-35 minute thread earlier in the day. :lol

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2014, 01:08:11 PM »

Or you "stole" the idea from me after I did my 28-35 minute thread earlier in the day. :lol

Kind of. :tup

Honestly, though, I had the idea of doing a pool that pitted BMS/HK/LITS against runs like AMBI and FFH/BAI/BTS, but I decided to throw in runs from all of the other albums as well. Seeing your poll, Kev, just reminded me of the idea and so I decided to finally post it. Thanks! :biggrin:

-Marc.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2014, 02:02:29 PM »
Bump for anyone who hadn't voted yet. Interesting to note that nearly a third of the votes so far have voted for the IAW option. Now whether or not that's because it's from IAW or because it really is the best option here is debatable (I voted for the ADTOE trio, which I like just a TINY bit more), but it's nice to know that there's at LEAST one person who likes each option more than the other eleven.

-Marc.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2014, 02:46:35 PM »
I guess the I&W option.  All the rest have at least one flaw for me.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline a8ac

« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2014, 05:11:41 PM »
I went with the ADTOE trio.. It was a tough choice, but I really think this three songs together are an entire emotional rollercoaster, and they are meant to be together.

Offline CharlesPL

« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2014, 12:06:35 AM »
2nd option.

Offline son_ov_hades

« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2014, 12:26:26 PM »

This, absolutely this.
"Ok, these guys are only catering to the hardcore fanbase that already bought the $8000 meet and greet package complete with signed LaBrie eye patch"

Offline Daso

• A cultivator of dread
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2014, 02:21:24 PM »
Went with the ADToE section, but the I&W one is just as good.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2014, 06:37:27 PM »
UAGM-WFS-LTL

It's gotta be this.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Grizz

« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2014, 06:55:47 PM »
ADToE is ahead of Awake and DTXII? The hell is wrong with you people?
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2014, 08:07:20 PM »
I was picking between TGD/Disappear, FFH/BAI/BTS, and TBP/BTV/STR, and the last one won.

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2014, 11:31:33 AM »
Under A Glass Moon - Wait For Sleep - Learning To Live

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2014, 01:33:10 PM »
I&W
ADTOE
Awake
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Holy Tune

« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2014, 03:19:35 PM »
I went with SFAM choices. Home is my second favourite on that album, and DoE is my first favourite! One Last Time is a great song to cooldown after those 2 big songs.