Author Topic: AC/DC will NOT announce their retirement this week  (Read 3804 times)

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: AC/DC will NOT announce their retirement this week
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2014, 11:36:50 AM »
Changed the thread title to accommodate for the situation
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: AC/DC will probably announce their retirement this week
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2014, 11:50:02 AM »
Not surprised.  With a 40th anniversary tour supposedly on their horizon, they aren't just gonna ditch that big of a payday.

That makes $ense. One last big one perhaps.

I would love to see KK Downing fill in.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Mladen

Re: AC/DC will probably announce their retirement this week
« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2014, 12:17:01 PM »
I would love to see KK Downing fill in.
:clap:

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2014, 12:32:15 PM »
Pretty disappointed to see that. They'd said in the past that Malcolm was irreplaceable and there'd be no AC/DC without him. Furthermore, if they were carrying on as sort of a Clive Burr thing to make much needed money for his care then I could see it. As co-writer of the second best selling album of all time I seriously doubt the guy needs any assistance. This actually applies to all of them. Hell, I'd be surprised if even Phil and Cliff weren't filthy stinking rich. I don't see any reason for a cash grab, and a farewell tour without him would be disrespectful.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2014, 01:01:20 PM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2014, 01:08:59 PM »
Pretty disappointed to see that. They'd said in the past that Malcolm was irreplaceable and there'd be no AC/DC without him. Furthermore, if they were carrying on as sort of a Clive Burr thing to make much needed money for his care then I could see it. As co-writer of the second best selling album of all time I seriously doubt the guy needs any assistance. This actually applies to all of them. Hell, I'd be surprised if even Phil and Cliff weren't filthy stinking rich. I don't see any reason for a cash grab, and a farewell tour without him would be disrespectful.

Offline emtee

« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2014, 01:18:10 PM »
To be fair nobody here knows what the true situation is and it's possible the band has made multiple commitments that they
don't feel comfortable breaking. Adding to that the realization that they are all getting along in age and this is likely the last
chance they all have. I'm sure they had multiple meetings spread out over many months and came to the conclusion this was
the best course of action.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2014, 01:27:51 PM »
I'm sure they were committed to some stuff, but I'm guessing that their contracts had clauses to protect them in cases of "natural disasters" or "personnel issues" etc.

If not, they should fire their manager  :justjen

I have a lot of fond memories that are tied to this band.  First time I ever got laid was while listening to "Shoot to Thrill" on the car stereo.   

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: April 16, 2014, 05:18:50 PM »
I also find it pretty surprising that they possibly look to continue without him,  I wonder who they will get.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline rickhawk80

• Dressed To Kill
« Reply #44 on: April 16, 2014, 08:24:26 PM »
If memory serves, the only other time Malcolm had to sit out his son Scotty filled in.

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #45 on: April 16, 2014, 08:33:47 PM »
Mike Portnoy could fill in :neverusethis:

Offline Mladen

« Reply #46 on: April 16, 2014, 10:28:18 PM »
If memory serves, the only other time Malcolm had to sit out his son Scotty filled in.
This would be both appropriate and touching.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #47 on: April 17, 2014, 12:18:01 AM »
If not, I'll settle for Steve Young.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: April 17, 2014, 07:54:50 AM »
Yeah, Malcom's son would be a great choice.   :tup

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #49 on: April 17, 2014, 11:38:27 AM »
Would love to see them again.  It has been about 30 years since I last saw the show.  By the way, Black Ice is a great cd for those that have not listened.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #50 on: April 17, 2014, 11:58:24 AM »
Nephew Stevie, I thought. My understanding is that nobody even noticed.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #51 on: April 17, 2014, 11:59:16 AM »
Nephew Stevie, I thought. My understanding is that nobody even noticed.

It was, and yes, no one apparently noticed.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #52 on: April 17, 2014, 12:24:05 PM »
By the way, Black Ice is a great cd for those that have not listened.
Yeah it was decent. At 15 tracks, there was a healthy bit of filler, but if you got it down to 10, it would be a lot better.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #53 on: April 17, 2014, 12:41:23 PM »
Black Ice was OK. I preferred Stiff Upper Lip.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #54 on: April 18, 2014, 01:24:36 AM »
It makes sense that they would carry on. I can remember when Bon died and everybody thought they were done. People wondered how can they go on without their frontman? He was after all the voice of the band. And their statement then was basically thst, no one member was bigger than the band. Then they went out hired Brian Johnson and crafted what is arguably one of the best hard rock albums ever.

So, I would think Malcolm would want them to keep playing.
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #55 on: April 18, 2014, 10:06:06 AM »
I think the comparison with Bon's death is severely flawed. When Bon died, they were only 4 years together and were just breaking big on the international scene. In contrast, the current lineup has been together for 35 years and at this point everybody was expecting the closing of the curtains anyway.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #56 on: April 18, 2014, 12:31:51 PM »
I thought Stiff Upper Lip, and Ballbreaker for that matter, were terrible.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #57 on: April 18, 2014, 03:08:32 PM »
I thought Stiff Upper Lip, and Ballbreaker for that matter, were terrible.

The last time they had an album I loved from start to finish was Blow Up Your Video.    Even The Razor's Edge is vastly over-rated, and only gets praise because of the title track and the hit singles.   The rest of the album honestly isn't that good.     

I agree that Ballbreaker wasn't that great either.   I think I like 3 songs.   But I actually enjoy about half of Stiff Upper Lip.   The title track, Meltdown, Hold Me Back, Safe in NYC, Can't Stand Still, and Satellite Blues are all great tunes. 

Black Ice wasn't terrible...just felt "phoned in".   After three or four spins, I only had 4 or 5 tracks out of 15 stand out.   Stormy May Day and War Machine seem to stand out in my memory.   RnR Train was pretty cool. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #58 on: April 18, 2014, 03:12:36 PM »
The last time they had an album I loved from start to finish was Blow Up Your Video.    Even The Razor's Edge is vastly over-rated, and only gets praise because of the title track and the hit singles.   The rest of the album honestly isn't that good.     

I agree with you 100% on BOTH accounts. I still listen to Blow Up Your Video. Criminally underrated.

Black Ice wasn't terrible...just felt "phoned in".   After three or four spins, I only had 4 or 5 tracks out of 15 stand out.   Stormy May Day and War Machine seem to stand out in my memory.   RnR Train was pretty cool. 

I'm glad that you didn't ask me which songs I would cut out, because frankly, I couldn't even name the songs I liked! :lol

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #59 on: April 18, 2014, 08:34:51 PM »

I agree that Ballbreaker wasn't that great either.   I think I like 3 songs.   But I actually enjoy about half of Stiff Upper Lip.   The title track, Meltdown, Hold Me Back, Safe in NYC, Can't Stand Still, and Satellite Blues are all great tunes. 

I agree with you about Razor's Edge, Stiff Upper Lip and Black Ice, but I never liked Blow Up Your Video. To me it was always one of their absolute worst albums...I'd even prefer to listen to Flick of the Switch, Fly on the Wall, or High Voltage (the Australian version) than BUYV. :lol. Ballbreaker, I really liked that one though, it's easily my favourite of their post-1981 albums.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #60 on: April 19, 2014, 12:03:30 PM »
I've always thought Fly on the Wall was a real under-rated classic.   The production is a bit spotty (I believe it was the first and only time that Angus and Malcolm attempted to do it on their own) but what I love about it is that Simon tried to do something different on the drums.   His original intro for Shake Your Foundations (which was subsequently scrapped and re-recorded for the Who Made Who album) was really cool and very different for an AC/DC album.    I was absolutely addicted to Fly on the Wall when it came out, and I was really sorry to see it ultimately fail.   :mehlin

Re: Blow Up Your Video....I think you're missing out.  Nick of Time, Some Sin for Nothin and Meanstreak in particular are FANTASTIC AC/DC songs....not to mention the two fantastic singles Heatseeker and That's the Way I Wanna RNR.   

EDIT:  I also wanted to add that the Fly on the Wall home video was seriously one of the coolest things the band ever did.   It's no secret that the band themselves have never been fond of music videos, which is why the early stuff just tended to be live footage for FTATR, and then studio/warehouse footage for FOTS.   But whoever put the FOTW home video together was just brilliant.   Subsequent videos were pretty cheezy...downright silly actually... 
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 12:09:40 PM by jammindude »

Offline jammindude

« Reply #61 on: April 19, 2014, 12:16:05 PM »

I agree with you about Razor's Edge, Stiff Upper Lip and Black Ice, but I never liked Blow Up Your Video. To me it was always one of their absolute worst albums...I'd even prefer to listen to Flick of the Switch, Fly on the Wall, or High Voltage (the Australian version) than BUYV. :lol. Ballbreaker, I really liked that one though, it's easily my favourite of their post-1981 albums.

And furthermore....   (seems I just can't shut up about AC/DC now.  :lol )   I will say this about Ballbreaker.    I had *VERY* high expectations for that album.   At that time, Rick Rubin was a producing guru.  (he has since, shown his major flaws)   And the first AC/DC - Rick Rubin pairing had produced Big Guns, which I thought was absolutely incredible.   So when I heard they were making an entire album together, I was expecting Back In Black 2.     When I picked it up, I liked the first two tracks, and Honey Roll (man, I wish they'd bring that one back...GREAT tune).   Nothing else grabbed me AT ALL.    But maybe I'll have to go back and give it a spin to see if time has been kinder to it.     Loved the artwork in the booklet of that album though...possibly the best artwork in any AC/DC album ever.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #62 on: April 19, 2014, 10:28:19 PM »
Re: Blow Up Your Video....I think you're missing out.  Nick of Time, Some Sin for Nothin and Meanstreak in particular are FANTASTIC AC/DC songs....not to mention the two fantastic singles Heatseeker and That's the Way I Wanna RNR.   
I remember liking Meanstreak a bit, but don't remember the others at all. I think the ship has well and truly sailed regarding my building an appreciation for it now, though. I listened to a few albums last week in response to reading this thread, but that was the first time in over a decade that I'd listened to an AC/DC album at all. :lol I was a big fan in my early highschool days around 1998-2001, AC/DC were actually my first favourite band, where I went and got all of their albums. These days though I usually only listen to a couple of individual songs a year, at most.

On Ballbreaker, Hail Caesar and Caught With Your Pants Down are only songs I never really liked on it, so it's a very consistent album for me.