Author Topic: The Conception Thread  (Read 9011 times)

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
Re: The Conception Thread
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2018, 11:53:59 AM »
Not being a fan of Kamelot, I wasn't really interested in what Roy Khan did previously. But I checked out a bit of Flow yesterday after hearing the news. I dig it. Went to go buy the Conception catalog on CD...uh...good lord out of print CDs go for way too much money.  :lol

I paid $25 for Flow and $23 for Parallel Minds (both are worth that price to me).  The other two I got for $10 each when Laser's Edge unearthed a crate of them from somewhere. 

Flow is a lot groovier than the others.  Parallel Minds is typical melodic/progressive metal.  Bug me if you want copies, though I'll have to figure out how to get them to you.

Thanks man. No worries. If I want to get into them more, I'll just buy it digitally (I think the albums are available to buy on Amazon as downloads). Appreciate the offer though.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2018, 01:42:56 PM »
massive bump....

Conception is back together!

https://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/conception-ep?referrer=site_search

I would have preferred Ark to come back than Conception, but hey...

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2018, 03:00:40 PM »
I'm trying to not get too excited by these news, but this is difficult. Holy shit I'm down with whatever they're releasing. :metal
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2018, 04:52:03 PM »
Not being a fan of Kamelot, I wasn't really interested in what Roy Khan did previously. But I checked out a bit of Flow yesterday after hearing the news. I dig it. Went to go buy the Conception catalog on CD...uh...good lord out of print CDs go for way too much money.  :lol

I paid $25 for Flow and $23 for Parallel Minds (both are worth that price to me).  The other two I got for $10 each when Laser's Edge unearthed a crate of them from somewhere. 

Flow is a lot groovier than the others.  Parallel Minds is typical melodic/progressive metal.  Bug me if you want copies, though I'll have to figure out how to get them to you.

Thanks man. No worries. If I want to get into them more, I'll just buy it digitally (I think the albums are available to buy on Amazon as downloads). Appreciate the offer though.

Grappler

Can I take your offer on the CDs? Where are you located?

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2018, 08:31:15 PM »

Grappler

Oh, I'm not parting with them.  It took me a very long time to track them down.  Samsara's a friend and I could have provided copies for him, that's all.  Should have made the offer privately. 

PS:  Samsara, do yourself a favor and watch the video for Roll The Fire:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hO1Cg42PKhQ

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2018, 08:47:18 PM »
This is something I never imagined would happen, but man am I glad that it is. I'd have sooner put my money down on an Ark reunion happening, but I personally prefer Conception myself. :metal
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2018, 09:04:45 PM »
I’ll be the first to ask the question: would you guys like to see Khan back in Kamelot?

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #42 on: May 01, 2018, 09:06:03 PM »

Grappler

Oh, I'm not parting with them.  It took me a very long time to track them down.  Samsara's a friend and I could have provided copies for him, that's all.  Should have made the offer privately. 

PS:  Samsara, do yourself a favor and watch the video for Roll The Fire:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hO1Cg42PKhQ

No biggie. Thought you had extra copies. Time to track them down. I believe I have Flow but wasn’t impressed by it. I did stream the earlier stuff and that seemed to be better.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #43 on: May 01, 2018, 09:15:16 PM »
I'd love to get a copy of Flow if anyone has a legit copy available.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #44 on: May 01, 2018, 09:38:53 PM »
I’ll be the first to ask the question: would you guys like to see Khan back in Kamelot?

Nah, not really. It's clear that Khan had burned himself out in Kamelot by the time of his departure, so it's probably healthier for him to be in a smaller band like Conception. Besides, Tommy is doing great work in Kamelot already.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #45 on: May 02, 2018, 01:11:14 AM »

Nah, not really. It's clear that Khan had burned himself out in Kamelot by the time of his departure, so it's probably healthier for him to be in a smaller band like Conception. Besides, Tommy is doing great work in Kamelot already.

What he said.

Also, as I stated in the Kamelot thread, his voice was starting to show difficulties and growing older and older and touring and touring wouldn't help that. I was devasted by Khan's leaving like anyone else but really, being a bit cynical, when it comes to the live shows tenure and the longevity of the band, his departure was actually a blessing in disguise.

Then if he would show up somewhere for an encore or something, I'd be totally down for it.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: May 02, 2018, 09:01:56 PM »
I'll wait to see what this Conception album brings, but I don't really think Khan can save Kamelot.  They are great vocally with Tommy, but it's the samey song writing that has hurt them IMO.  If Khan is making interesting music in Conception, then that's where he should be.

Now I'd certainly love to see a Khan reunion show with Kamelot since I never got to see them with him before.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #47 on: May 02, 2018, 11:30:47 PM »
I'm just glad Tore Ostby is still making music. The man's an amazing guitarist.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #48 on: May 03, 2018, 12:09:18 AM »
I'll wait to see what this Conception album brings, but I don't really think Khan can save Kamelot.  They are great vocally with Tommy, but it's the samey song writing that has hurt them IMO.  If Khan is making interesting music in Conception, then that's where he should be.

Now I'd certainly love to see a Khan reunion show with Kamelot since I never got to see them with him before.

Yep, exactly. It's just down to the songwriting going on over at Kamelot these days. Tommy's clearly still going strong with his other band, Seventh Wonder, judging by the first single they released for their next album Tiara.

If Khan is able to put out killer music with Conception, that's probably the place he should be. Like I mentioned before, Kamelot clearly wore him out at the end and I doubt Conception will ever reach the same commercial success that Kamelot has, so teaming up with Tore again is probably the best option all around for him. Not too taxing on the rest of his life, but still a great venue for Khan to express himself musically.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #49 on: May 04, 2018, 12:16:59 PM »
Interview with Khan, the very first one after the Kamelot split!!!

https://www.spaziorock.it/intervista.php?&id=conception-roy-khan-kamelot-2018

Italian site but they kept the original english interview, which I assume happened through mail, so you can read it as well.

Very condensed version: he's happy to be back working with the Conception guys, he's really behind this, he has no intention or plans on touring, he heard the latest Kamelot stuff and likes some of it and thinks Tommy is great, and the details surrounding the Kamelot split are too weird and messy to discuss.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #50 on: May 04, 2018, 07:48:31 PM »
Interview with Khan, the very first one after the Kamelot split!!!

https://www.spaziorock.it/intervista.php?&id=conception-roy-khan-kamelot-2018

Italian site but they kept the original english interview, which I assume happened through mail, so you can read it as well.

Very condensed version: he's happy to be back working with the Conception guys, he's really behind this, he has no intention or plans on touring, he heard the latest Kamelot stuff and likes some of it and thinks Tommy is great, and the details surrounding the Kamelot split are too weird and messy to discuss.

It's great to have Roy back in the music scene. :metal
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Art

« Reply #51 on: May 05, 2018, 09:48:24 AM »
Awesome news! Tore and Roy  :metal  :heart

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #52 on: May 05, 2018, 07:25:26 PM »
Awesome news! Tore and Roy  :metal  :heart

Yup! It's great to have either one of them back on the music scene, considering how long it's been since either of them have put out any new material. :metal
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #53 on: June 07, 2018, 12:18:22 PM »
Another italian AND english interview with Roy Khan:

https://loudandproud.it/roy-khan-risveglio-della-forza/

He goes more into the details of the Kamelot split than last time... condensed version, he was starting to feel the pressure and the burning out from doing gig after gig with countless fans waiting for him for autographs and pictures, and he was overwhelmed at the idea of performing in Wacken for so many people while other personal things were going on with him. So in the end the burnout reason was essentially true, he had to get away from it knowing in its heart that it was over already then, and getting confirmations whenever mentions of Kamelot would make him anxious again (in the times before the split was announced to the public). He add that he always got along with Youngblood but he had to cut ties with him as well because he was reminding him too much of Kamelot.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #54 on: June 07, 2018, 12:40:07 PM »
I believe it. If you've ever talked to a big Kamelot fan, they treat Khan like he's literally a god or otherworldly. It's kind of ridiculous. I'd pull a full-on Neil Peart and avoid all fans.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: June 07, 2018, 12:49:12 PM »
I believe it. If you've ever talked to a big Kamelot fan, they treat Khan like he's literally a god or otherworldly.

Wait, he isn't?

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: June 07, 2018, 12:50:58 PM »
I believe it. If you've ever talked to a big Kamelot fan, they treat Khan like he's literally a god or otherworldly.

Wait, he isn't?

No no no. You're thinking of Fabio Lione.  :biggrin:
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline T-ski

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: October 23, 2018, 07:26:07 AM »
 :metal

Cool art too.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: October 23, 2018, 04:28:04 PM »
Yeah nice cover.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #60 on: November 02, 2018, 04:01:10 AM »
https://conception.lnk.to/ReConceptionFA

Really good to hear them again and it sounds like Conception and no one else...

Offline T-ski

« Reply #61 on: November 02, 2018, 08:11:23 AM »
Feather Moves is absolutely beautiful.  Welcome back Conception!

Offline Grappler

« Reply #62 on: November 02, 2018, 12:05:59 PM »
It makes me so happy to hear Roy Khan sing again.   :metal

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: November 02, 2018, 01:10:29 PM »
So for some reason I've just never clicked with Conception before, it's not bad whatsoever but it never resonated with me. But Grand Again is freaking good. These guys must've been practicing their asses off over the years because imo this is an amazing song. The songwriting as it is is very good but Roy takes it to another level. He sounds fan-fucking-tastic. :2metal:

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #64 on: November 02, 2018, 04:55:26 PM »
Both song are really, really good! I'll admit that I'm actually a bit surprised by Roy's perfomance. I guess his break did his voice some good :)

Offline Grappler

« Reply #65 on: November 05, 2018, 07:18:07 AM »
Saw this on another forum.  Possible back catalog reissues could be coming: 

a) I asked them on FB yesterday. The band are actively working on catalogue reissues

b) they were on Noise Records, which is currently controlled by BMG / Universal music group. Noise have been reissuing their previously out of print releases through Crowdfunding site PledgeMusic. Stay tuned.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #66 on: November 05, 2018, 08:12:41 AM »
Saw this on another forum.  Possible back catalog reissues could be coming: 

a) I asked them on FB yesterday. The band are actively working on catalogue reissues

b) they were on Noise Records, which is currently controlled by BMG / Universal music group. Noise have been reissuing their previously out of print releases through Crowdfunding site PledgeMusic. Stay tuned.

I desperately need this to happen. I've been wanting to get In Your Multitude on iTunes for ages now.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Art

« Reply #67 on: November 23, 2018, 04:33:07 AM »
Listening to the new record (or EP?) for the first time. I like it, the production is great, Roy sounds great as always. It reminded me of Flow.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #68 on: November 24, 2018, 06:35:13 PM »
I got my signed EP yesterday, but haven't had time to listen to the whole thing yet. Excited to have Khan's signature though, considering I'll never have another opportunity.

Offline Freeze

« Reply #69 on: May 01, 2019, 05:42:06 AM »
Went to see Conception live in their hometown Gjøvik this weekend. They played two nights in a small venue, and I attended the second night on Saturday. Since the band haven't played live since a few gigs in 2005 , it was with great anticipation I traveled to see the gig. I attended one gig in Oslo in 2005, and while a fun night, I remember thinking the band sounded a little bit underrehearsed then. Not so this time. The band was tight , and delivered a great setlist of new songs mixed with the expected old favorites. While we missed some very good songs played on the first night (In Your Multitude, And I Close My Eyes, Into The Wild, Cardinal Sin), we got some changes that were still very welcome (Flow, Under A Mourning Star, The Moment). The small but energized crowd gave the band a great response , and the band seemed very touched to find people coming from far and near to experience their comeback on stage. Very cool to have the band back, and I am looking forward to hopefully more shows and new material.

The Saturday setlist: https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/conception/2019/friscena-black-box-gjovik-norway-3934543.html

The Friday setlist : https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/conception/2019/friscena-black-box-gjovik-norway-6b9352ea.html