Author Topic: The Conception Thread  (Read 8996 times)

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
The Conception Thread
« on: April 14, 2014, 09:48:34 PM »
Been getting into this band over the past couple of days and I noticed that there doesn't seem to be a thread for them here yet, though they have been mentioned in various other threads. So... Conception! :metal :hefdaddy

I have to say that my personal favorite albums by them are In Your Magnitude and Flow. Two very different but equally awesome albums. Dare I say that many of Roy Khan's best performances were on these albums? :tup
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Conception Thread
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 09:52:39 PM »
Can't argue with much of that - I would rank In Your Multitude  ;)   higher than Flow though ........a more consistent album IMHO.    Flow is a bit weird in that most of my favourite tracks are the last few on the album.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 09:58:30 PM »
The Last Sunset and Parallel Minds are the best, but Flow has a few good songs. In Your Multitude has Under A Mourning Star... I should give it another listen though. I could never get into it though.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 10:00:39 PM »
Can't argue with much of that - I would rank In Your Multitude  ;)   higher than Flow though ........a more consistent album IMHO.    Flow is a bit weird in that most of my favourite tracks are the last few on the album.

:lol My bad! I do think that IYM has more consistently high points on it than Flow does, but the latter just well, flows so nicely and has a really cohesive atmosphere and vibe about it.

The Last Sunset and Parallel Minds are the best, but Flow has a few good songs. In Your Multitude has Under A Mourning Star... I should give it another listen though. I could never get into it though.

I'd have to disagree there. TLS was a chore for me to listen to for the most part and while PM has some great songs on it, I don't think it's as consistent as IYM or Flow.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, 10:05:22 PM »

I gave up on IYM about 7 years ago.  So much so that I sold it, an ignominy that I have only bestowed upon two other prog albums, and those were both "best of" albums that I no longer needed.  However, I think I still have a copy on my old hard drive from that time.  Maybe I'll see if time has changed my mind.  So Zook, you aren't the only person who was thoroughly underwhelmed by them.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2014, 10:05:53 PM »
TLS is kinda cheesy, but I like the Spanish vibe it has for some reason. Also, the title track is amazing. PM just rocks, and Khan hits some ridiculous high notes. Gonna listen to IYM tonight, but Flow isn't consistent at all. 5 good songs, whole lotta filler. What the hell, I'll listen to that one too.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2014, 10:11:22 PM »
TLS is kinda cheesy, but I like the Spanish vibe it has for some reason. Also, the title track is amazing. PM just rocks, and Khan hits some ridiculous high notes. Gonna listen to IYM tonight, but Flow isn't consistent at all. 5 good songs, whole lotta filler. What the hell, I'll listen to that one too.

My biggest issue with TLS is how flimsy Khan sounded on the album. He improved dramatically by the time PM came around, if you ask me. But even then, I just wasn't as interested in most of the songs off of TLS as I was the other Conception albums.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2014, 10:14:30 PM »
I never bothered with The Last Sunset - big fan of the band though.............presumably I got the tip not to bother and didn't.    I'd rate them IYM > PM > Flow   with only marginal difference between the top two.   Like Zook said I reckon Flow is half killer and half crap , with the last two songs my faves if memory serves correct.  Lucky I persisted.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2014, 11:07:27 PM »
Wow what a coincidence, I was listening to Flow on the way home from work today.
Easily my fave Conception, is sits somewhere in my top 50 of all time.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2014, 05:27:43 AM »
Considering the lineup, this is a band I should know well.  It's one I never get around to checking out, but I know I should.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2014, 07:29:11 AM »
Considering the lineup, this is a band I should know well.  It's one I never get around to checking out, but I know I should.

Check out these songs for starters! :tup :metal

Under A Mourning Star: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHs7XbgZCak
A Million Gods: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQ6JR4LSWk8
Solar Serpent: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLiA7jM9PWo
Water Confines: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HG7jTkLoKV4
Roll the Fire: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ri52J9JEi7M
Silent Crying: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53HGdICWAbg
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2014, 03:45:14 PM »
I didn't get a chance to listen to a full album last night as I went home early to hang my head in a toilet all night, but before going to sleep, I listened to a couple tracks from Flow and one from IYM, and they actually weren't that bad. Angel was kinda weird, but I think I can get used to it. I've had these CDs since 2006. Quite a long time to get into them :lol

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2014, 04:48:53 PM »
I didn't get a chance to listen to a full album last night as I went home early to hang my head in a toilet all night, but before going to sleep, I listened to a couple tracks from Flow and one from IYM, and they actually weren't that bad. Angel was kinda weird, but I think I can get used to it. I've had these CDs since 2006. Quite a long time to get into them :lol

Yeah, that's kinda what happened with me for the band; back when I got into Kamelot and Seventh Wonder, I heard that Khan used to be in a prog metal band too and I was left rather cold on what I'd heard back then. Tried it out again this week and it started to click pretty quickly for me. :tup
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2014, 05:18:34 PM »
I'm the opposite - was into Conception from release of Parallel Minds , followed Khan across to Kamelot and thought Siege Perilous was bloody awful and decided that was that......I'll stick to my Conception.  I didn't twig until many,many years later that SP wasn't a great yardstick for the quality of Kamelot and was pleased to find that they were putting out some great stuff with Khan.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 05:31:39 PM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2014, 08:00:48 PM »
I'm the opposite - was into Conception from release of Parallel Minds , followed Khan across to Kamelot and thought Siege Perilous was bloody awful and decided that was that......I'll stick to my Conception.  I didn't twig until many,many years later that SP wasn't a great yardstick for the quality of Kamelot and was pleased to find that they were putting out some great stuff with Khan.

Yeah, now that the band has clicked with me, I'm pretty sure I prefer Conception as well. I like Kamelot quite fine, but stuff like Conception is just more up my alley. :hefdaddy
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2014, 06:14:04 AM »
Conception is a band, given who was in it, that I should love to pieces, but I just plain never got them, no matter how hard I tried. Gave those linked songs a try and, nope, still won't work for me. How weird.  :o
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2014, 10:19:44 AM »
So I listened to both In Your Multitude and Flow. Although having some pretty cool tunes, IYM was overall kinda boring. Flow was a much better listen and tracks stood out to me more than they ever had before. The best of the bunch is still Parallel Minds though.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2014, 10:56:20 AM »
So I listened to both In Your Multitude and Flow. Although having some pretty cool tunes, IYM was overall kinda boring. Flow was a much better listen and tracks stood out to me more than they ever had before. The best of the bunch is still Parallel Minds though.

Glad to hear that Flow clicked with you this time around! Maybe IYM will do the same for you too down the road? :) It's definitely my favorite album of theirs. A prog metal masterpiece, imo. :hefdaddy
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Art

« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2014, 06:25:27 AM »
I´m listening to Flow right now, and i absolutely love this album. This band was incredible.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2014, 12:47:14 PM »
I´m listening to Flow right now, and i absolutely love this album. This band was incredible.

Listening on youtube. Very nice. Too bad the albums seem out of print.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2014, 12:55:40 PM »

:tup

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2014, 09:44:42 AM »
I tell ya what - you guys into Conception and/or missing Khan need to get your hands on a recent release by a band called Black Fate (Between Visions and Lies).  Immense stuff with a Khan soundalike and wouldn't be far from my album of the year.  :metal
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 09:50:09 AM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Art

« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2014, 10:32:04 AM »
I tell ya what - you guys into Conception and/or missing Khan need to get your hands on a recent release by a band called Black Fate (Between Visions and Lies).  Immense stuff with a Khan soundalike and wouldn't be far from my album of the year.  :metal

thanks, i´m gonna check it out!

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2014, 02:08:05 PM »
Holy Khan, Batman. Is he singing on the album, and they're just using a stand in? lol

Offline T-ski

« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2018, 03:02:02 PM »
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2018, 03:38:16 PM »
First a solo piece from him, and now this. Khan can't stay away too long from music!  :metal
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2018, 06:03:01 PM »
 :metal :metal :metal

Tore and Khan especially have been missed.      In Your Multitude made my DTF Top 50 and I'm very keen to hear what they come up with.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2018, 06:03:45 PM »
Pre-ordered the signed EP. :metal

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2018, 06:08:00 PM »
I am shocked he is coming back.  I'm interested.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2018, 06:40:42 PM »
massive bump....

Conception is back together!

https://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/conception-ep?referrer=site_search

This is such an awesome surprise! I'm glad to hear Roy's coming out of retirement! :metal
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2018, 07:18:27 PM »
Wow!
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2018, 06:15:03 AM »
I've been listening to In Your Multitude, Parallel Minds and Flow non-stop since reading the news yesterday.   :metal

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2018, 07:23:17 AM »
I am shocked he is coming back.  I'm interested.

Awesome!

I've been listening to In Your Multitude, Parallel Minds and Flow non-stop since reading the news yesterday.   :metal

I think I know what's going on to my playlist for today!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2018, 07:54:40 AM »
Not being a fan of Kamelot, I wasn't really interested in what Roy Khan did previously. But I checked out a bit of Flow yesterday after hearing the news. I dig it. Went to go buy the Conception catalog on CD...uh...good lord out of print CDs go for way too much money.  :lol
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2018, 08:04:09 AM »
Not being a fan of Kamelot, I wasn't really interested in what Roy Khan did previously. But I checked out a bit of Flow yesterday after hearing the news. I dig it. Went to go buy the Conception catalog on CD...uh...good lord out of print CDs go for way too much money.  :lol

I paid $25 for Flow and $23 for Parallel Minds (both are worth that price to me).  The other two I got for $10 each when Laser's Edge unearthed a crate of them from somewhere. 

Flow is a lot groovier than the others.  Parallel Minds is typical melodic/progressive metal.  Bug me if you want copies, though I'll have to figure out how to get them to you. 
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 08:10:48 AM by Grappler »