Author Topic: Not so favorite DT songs that a lot of DT Fans seems to like  (Read 3132 times)

Offline 54_diplomats

Re: Not so favorite DT songs that a lot of DT Fans seems to like
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2014, 11:45:38 PM »
Breaking all Illusions

Good song, but I don't rate it anywhere near as high as most DT fans do.

Offline Invisible

« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2014, 06:06:02 PM »
The Glass Prison - Really like it, but it's nowhere near the praise it usually gets. I think James sounds pretty bad here and some vocal melodies and instrumental sections are questionable. Easily my least favourite of 6DOIT(but considering it's one of my favourite albums, that's not saying much).

Beneath The Surface - If some asks me what cheesy means, this song would be one of the first things it comes to mind.

Innocence Faded - The song I usually skip on Awake, has some good moments, but the vocals are annoying and remind me of Cristian Castro, especially the ending "whoooo ooohhh ooooooohhh whoooo". Extremely dissapointed to find it on Score.

A Change of Seasons - I put it here because most people love it or don't like it so much, I'm on the middle ground. It has some great moments and flows pretty well until The Darkest of Winters, but I don't find it neither that great or that bad.

Metropolis - I get why it's considered the essencial DT song, as it has most of their signature elements and they were new at the time, that crazy instrumental section can blow your head if you're not ready for it, but it wore out it's welcome pretty soon. Kickass intro though.

Fatal Tragedy - Neither the vocals, nor the instrumental does anything for me.

Home - Bad lyrics, the metropolis reprise sounds completely forced. Otherwise it kicks ass, but those flaws are too big to be overlooked.

On The Backs of Angels - Good song, but it leaves me sort of cold, like it seems to be trying too hard to be great.

Sacrificed Sons - Can't relate to the subject matter for a number of reasons, good music though.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2014, 06:15:05 PM »
I keep reading the title as "least favorite", but that's not the question that was originally asked.  So, keeping that in mind... and in no order...

Home (the sex stuff - I mean, you get the point if you read the lyrics, right?)

Sacrificed Sons (I don't hate this one but it's very hard for me to listen to - subject matter thing)

ACOS (yeah, I don't get the love for this one and I've tried - they should've stuck more to how the 1991 demo was, but James had had the food poisoning episode by then so... yeah, no)

TCOT (MASSIVELY overrated - best part of the song is Jordan's homage to Zappa 3ish minutes into the intro)

TSF (too rehashy for me - "I am responsible" is the best part of the song, hands down)

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2014, 08:42:05 PM »
Beneath The Surface - If some asks me what cheesy means, this song would be one of the first things it comes to mind.

I could think of a plethora of DT songs infinitely more cheesy than BTS. :eek
Home - Bad lyrics, the metropolis reprise sounds completely forced. Otherwise it kicks ass, but those flaws are too big to be overlooked.

The Metropolis reprise honestly sounds like the opposite of anything that may sound forced. It very clearly draws from that theme but is modified to fit the feel of the song as a whole, which is why it always blows my mind to hear it. It also doesn't last that long in the song, so surely a couple of seconds weren't so bad that they ruin the rest of the 12 minutes?
Sacrificed Sons - Can't relate to the subject matter for a number of reasons, good music though.

I guess you place a pretty high priority on lyrics in comparison to the music, which is all good and fine, but I wouldn't necessarily consider it a detriment because I couldn't totally relate to the subject matter. There's a number of DT songs where that's the case for me but I still enjoy if it has the good music to back it up.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2014, 08:44:07 PM »

For this reason, I listen to the Symphonic version more than the original. That, and it's just so much more epic.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2014, 09:36:33 PM »
Easy to think of what mine are. But although I understand some of the points people have made, I like nearly every song that's been mentioned in this thread so at least in some way.

Anyway, Innocence Faded took a long while to click with me. And it still probably hasn't properly. I just could never get into it, but more recently I started liking a few parts of it a bit more. The Score version helps me appreciate it a bit more tbh. And Scarred is in a pretty similar boat but that one clicked a bit earlier than IF. Both of these songs I find iffy on Awake, although I love the rest of the album, save for..

Space Dye Vest. I'm not trying to offend anyone, but it's my least favourite song in the DT catalogue. I'm not biased against KM or any crap like that, he had a great role in DT at the time and I've been into some OSI and find a lot to enjoy. But SDV doesn't click with me and is one of the few DT songs I tend to not listen to. I even prefer You Not Me and all the obscure FII B sides. Hell I even like Don't Look Past Me more than SDV and talk about a song taking a long time to click, I had know idea what I was hearing when I first stumbled across DLPM. Hmm, yup, when I think about it, I'd rather torture myself with the Majesty demos than listen to Space Dye Vest more than once in a long while. At least the Majesty demos have something more interesting going on in the music. Yeah I admit that I probably miss the point of the song somewhere along the line but really, it's just not for me.  :\

Offline Invisible

« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2014, 09:43:45 PM »
I could think of a plethora of DT songs infinitely more cheesy than BTS. :eek
I'm sure you can, I can't, but DT isn't exactly short of cheesiness so it's perfectly possible. :lol The music doesn't help either. It's one of the very few DT songs I truly dislike.

The Metropolis reprise honestly sounds like the opposite of anything that may sound forced. It very clearly draws from that theme but is modified to fit the feel of the song as a whole, which is why it always blows my mind to hear it.
Good for you, to me, it feels like it breaks the flow and comes out of nowhere. I still don't like the lyrics, they are the big weakness of an otherwise perfect album for me.

It also doesn't last that long in the song, so surely a couple of seconds weren't so bad that they ruin the rest of the 12 minutes?
Who said it was ruined? It's a not so favorite song that most people seem to like, not a bad song! It's just the bad lyrics and some overlong instrumental sections that make it not among my favorites, but still it barely misses my Top 50/60.

I guess you place a pretty high priority on lyrics in comparison to the music, which is all good and fine, but I wouldn't necessarily consider it a detriment because I couldn't totally relate to the subject matter. There's a number of DT songs where that's the case for me but I still enjoy if it has the good music to back it up.
Again, read the thread title, it says not so favorite, not songs you hate. ;) It's a good song.
As for lyrics, they are important in the way that they don't have to stand in the way of my enjoyment of the song, if they accomplish that, I can roll with it, if it doesn't, then it's a problem. The Count of Tuscany has awful lyrics, but they don't get in the way of the song, even if they are the reason a song that could be an easy Top 10 choice is probably among 30-50.
Sacrificed Sons is different, actually the some parts of the songs are very well written, the reason I don't like them are more political than anything else, I'm just trying to be respectful here.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2014, 09:58:09 PM »
Anyway, Innocence Faded took a long while to click with me. And it still probably hasn't properly. I just could never get into it, but more recently I started liking a few parts of it a bit more. The Score version helps me appreciate it a bit more tbh.

Innocence Faded generally seems to be one of the least popular songs off Awake, and yet it's one of my favourites, probably for the exact same reasons people here dislike it. :lol :dunno:
I enjoy the shorter, standard structure songs from DT, and Innocence Faded has a very melodic/AOR approach, especially in the chorus with the harmonies.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2014, 10:07:27 PM »
Fair enough.  :lol BTS isn't my favorite song in the world but I think the only cheesy moment might be JR's keyboard solo, which I still enjoy anyways.

Actually, though I wouldn't call Sacrificed Sons a fan favorite, I don't like it as much as I could, but for different reasons. The lyrics are decent but it feels like it drags a bit and is longer than it needs to be. Love the riff though. As for the subject matter, I'm not too strong on it one way or the other.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2014, 10:11:24 PM »
Fair enough.  :lol BTS isn't my favorite song in the world but I think the only cheesy moment might be JR's keyboard solo, which I still enjoy anyways.

JR's solo is the only part of the song I like. :lol The rest of the song is too corny for me. I feel similarly about AFTR, although I still like that song, and yet again my favourite part of the song by far is JR's solo.
What can I say? I'm a JR guy! :hat

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #45 on: April 18, 2014, 10:12:52 PM »
That solo is awesome!  It's JR tipping his hat to Keith Emerson.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Invisible

« Reply #46 on: April 19, 2014, 09:12:01 AM »

JR's solo is the only part of the song I like. :lol The rest of the song is too corny for me.
I was going to say the exact same thing :lol I like Along For The Ride though, probably because it evolves from the regular balad as soon as the rest of the band kicks in and JP switch guitars.

Innocence Faded generally seems to be one of the least popular songs off Awake, and yet it's one of my favourites, probably for the exact same reasons people here dislike it. :lol :dunno:
I enjoy the shorter, standard structure songs from DT, and Innocence Faded has a very melodic/AOR approach, especially in the chorus with the harmonies.
For me it's not about length or structure, there are short and relatively simple structured songs that are among my very favorites: 6:00, Caught In A Web, Lifting Shadows, Dissapear, The Way It Used To Be, Cover My Eyes, Speak To Me, Vacant... etc etc. You don't need to write a super long or crazy song for it to be great in my book. My problem with Innocence Faded is actually simple: I just don't like the melodies that much. It is still not a bad song or a song that I think should be left off the album, it's great where it is and a nice change of pace on the album, it's just not my cup of tea most of the times. :dunno:

Offline The Holy Tune

« Reply #47 on: April 19, 2014, 05:16:58 PM »
-Metropolis Pt 1. It prepares the background for SFAM and contains good things but I just can't like the song much. My least fav from I&W.

-Lines in the Sand. UGH the keyboards seem to irritate me a lot from time to time. And the other guy yelling the chorus parts with James don't work for me much.

-The Spirit Carries On. I spoke to a lady friend and she said she couldn't contain her tears each time she heard the song. What is there to feel? It's a good ballad with great moments but it's been overly used! Give it a break for at least 2-3 tours, that's what I say.

-The Glass Prison. First things first, I like the song. But I rate TSF higher than TGP. TGP feels... a bit weird, I don't think I can explain that feeling.

-VIII. Losing Time/Grand Finale. A finale to such a great song could've been more grand than this. Whatever the whole song builds, this part just doesn't get it a notch higher to where I expect each time I hear 6DOIT.(Don't really know if this song is a fan favourite though!)

-Repentance. BORING. I can't go through the first 3-4 minutes. The idea is great but I just don't like how slow the thing is.

-The Count of Tuscany. Bring all the hatred!!! My least or second least favourite of the epics. So cheesy, doesn't give the feels everyone get at those spesific parts, the idea to give the song a 3 minutes break doesn't feel correct to me(it gives a cinematic feeling to IT though, that's how I defend it). Overall, I don't really agree with a huge portion of fans on this song.

-Bridges in the Sky. The song is heavy, it's pretty long and has great moments of it's own. But I don't feel it well somehow. Don't really have an arguement to say why I don't like this song much. I'll try hearing it once again ^^

-The Bigger Picture. I have to say that I love the song a lot. But I simply can't comprehend how people say it's better than IT or anything big. Would appreciate if anyone told why.

-Along for the Ride. I heard lots of people like that song. But it's my least listened to song on DT12 and I feel that it's like a dadrock song. TSCO feels like a way better ballad than this.

That's all, hope I don't get kicked for not liking Metropolis Pt 1, TCOT and TGP ;D

Offline CharlesPL

« Reply #48 on: April 19, 2014, 05:34:34 PM »
Lines In The Sand
The Glass Prison
Disappear
Stream Of Consciousness
SC (all)
A Nightmare To Remember
The Best Of Times
Bridges In The Sky
Outcry

Offline Daso

• A cultivator of dread
« Reply #49 on: April 19, 2014, 07:09:09 PM »
For This Dying Soul or Honor Thy Father, I'm not clear on whether they're liked or not, but I don't like either of them.

SDOIT's parts work better than the whole, so for me it's not up there with the other epics, except perhaps along TCoT which is pretty good but not as good as the other epics (if you want to call it epic) either.

Sacrificed Sons has good parts, but its mood changes too harshly and too often, and the Hollywood-esque section could've been left out or cut out a bit at least.

Offline James Sucellus

« Reply #50 on: April 19, 2014, 10:43:28 PM »
I like The Glass Prison, but it's really not a favourite of mine. I suspect it would seem more special to me if I hadn't heard the Train of Thought album first, which contains so many songs that emulate its style.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #51 on: April 19, 2014, 10:55:44 PM »
I think most of you know what's going to come, but I haven't had this debate with Blob in a while, so here goes:

Octavarium is overrated.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline James Sucellus

« Reply #52 on: April 19, 2014, 11:16:29 PM »
The album is overrated in some quarters, and I much prefer the two more recent releases. The song? Well deserving of classic status.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: April 19, 2014, 11:16:40 PM »
I think most of you know what's going to come, but I haven't had this debate with Blob in a while, so here goes:

Octavarium is overrated.

Meh, people have mentioned songs in this thread I'm far more defensive of. Everyone's entitled to their opinion.

Even if they are wrong. :neverusethis:

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #54 on: April 19, 2014, 11:27:50 PM »
Goddammit Blob how is a proper pointless opinion debate going to work if you don't cooperate? :P

Offline Invisible

« Reply #55 on: April 20, 2014, 09:35:03 PM »
-Metropolis Pt 1. It prepares the background for SFAM and contains good things but I just can't like the song much. My least fav from I&W.

-Lines in the Sand. UGH the keyboards seem to irritate me a lot from time to time. And the other guy yelling the chorus parts with James don't work for me much.

-The Spirit Carries On. I spoke to a lady friend and she said she couldn't contain her tears each time she heard the song. What is there to feel? It's a good ballad with great moments but it's been overly used! Give it a break for at least 2-3 tours, that's what I say.

-The Glass Prison. First things first, I like the song. But I rate TSF higher than TGP. TGP feels... a bit weird, I don't think I can explain that feeling.

-VIII. Losing Time/Grand Finale. A finale to such a great song could've been more grand than this. Whatever the whole song builds, this part just doesn't get it a notch higher to where I expect each time I hear 6DOIT.(Don't really know if this song is a fan favourite though!)

-Repentance. BORING. I can't go through the first 3-4 minutes. The idea is great but I just don't like how slow the thing is.

-The Count of Tuscany. Bring all the hatred!!! My least or second least favourite of the epics. So cheesy, doesn't give the feels everyone get at those spesific parts, the idea to give the song a 3 minutes break doesn't feel correct to me(it gives a cinematic feeling to IT though, that's how I defend it). Overall, I don't really agree with a huge portion of fans on this song.

-Bridges in the Sky. The song is heavy, it's pretty long and has great moments of it's own. But I don't feel it well somehow. Don't really have an arguement to say why I don't like this song much. I'll try hearing it once again ^^

-The Bigger Picture. I have to say that I love the song a lot. But I simply can't comprehend how people say it's better than IT or anything big. Would appreciate if anyone told why.

-Along for the Ride. I heard lots of people like that song. But it's my least listened to song on DT12 and I feel that it's like a dadrock song. TSCO feels like a way better ballad than this.

That's all, hope I don't get kicked for not liking Metropolis Pt 1, TCOT and TGP ;D
Such a great avatar, such wrong opinions. I don't kick that much, but if I had to I would for LITS, Repentance, Losing Time and TSCO. :P

And it saddens me to see so many mentions of Lines In The Sand. :(

And Scorpion, Octavarium is awesome, best flowing and most cohesive epic.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #56 on: April 20, 2014, 10:08:25 PM »
I'm not going to reiterate my other novel-lenght posts on why I don't really like Octavarium, but it basically comes down to the fact that two of the sections, while flowing great - indeed, the whole song flows great, no questions asked! - are also rather boring to listen to: Full Circle (and jeez, I get that those lyrics are tongue in cheek, but damn that's still a little embarassing) and Razor's Edge, including the most overrated guitar solo ever. So even great flow doesn't save the song. Intervals is fucking great though, the way it builds up to that great climax that is basically climax of the whole album is great.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 11:42:21 PM by Scorpion »

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #57 on: April 20, 2014, 11:22:52 PM »
Octavarium flows wonderfully - possibly the best out of all of DT's epics - but that remains far from the list of reasons why it's one of my two fav DT epics (the other being ACOS). My thoughts can basically just be the antithesis of what Scorpion said. :lol Except that Intervals is, indeed, amazing.

Offline The Holy Tune

« Reply #58 on: April 21, 2014, 02:34:17 AM »
Such a great avatar, such wrong opinions. I don't kick that much, but if I had to I would for LITS, Repentance, Losing Time and TSCO. :P

I'd like to state that I love them all, but maybe not as much as the rest of the DTF does. For example, I just listened to TSCO from LALP and it was very touching. But it has been played so much that it's getting kinda irritating. Or LITS has the keyboard tone that scratches my ears, that's kinda why I can't hear FII very much. Again, all of them are great songs. I just can't feel them as much as other people do ^^

And heh, thanks for the avatar ;D

Offline Invisible

« Reply #59 on: April 21, 2014, 01:39:24 PM »
I'm not going to reiterate my other novel-lenght posts on why I don't really like Octavarium, but it basically comes down to the fact that two of the sections, while flowing great - indeed, the whole song flows great, no questions asked! - are also rather boring to listen to: Full Circle (and jeez, I get that those lyrics are tongue in cheek, but damn that's still a little embarassing) and Razor's Edge, including the most overrated guitar solo ever. So even great flow doesn't save the song. Intervals is fucking great though, the way it builds up to that great climax that is basically climax of the whole album is great.
I'm with you on Full Circle lyrics, strong candidate for worst idea DT ever had, the chorus of that section is great though and saves the day for me, the music is also great so I can forgive the whole Owen Wilson thing. Razor's Edge I don't agree, it's great, I'm not crazy on the solo by itself, in the end it's just JP playing Someone Like Him vocal melodies in an epic way, but it was the perfect way to close the whole thing.
By the way, my favorite sections are the first two, unlike most people. And of course, flow and cohesion aren't the main thing, but still a nice trait to have.

Quote from: The Holy Tune
For example, I just listened to TSCO from LALP and it was very touching. But it has been played so much that it's getting kinda irritating. Or LITS has the keyboard tone that scratches my ears, that's kinda why I can't hear FII very much. Again, all of them are great songs. I just can't feel them as much as other people do ^^
Yeah, Lines In The Sand aged a little bad on the keyboard intro. but the song is so great I don't mind. TSCO can suffer from overplaying if you're not careful, but still such a great moment live I don't mind it no matter how many times they play it.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 01:44:37 PM by Invisible »

Offline son_ov_hades

« Reply #60 on: April 22, 2014, 06:41:29 AM »
In The Name Of God

I find this song a real chore to get through, so boring and overlong.
"Ok, these guys are only catering to the hardcore fanbase that already bought the $8000 meet and greet package complete with signed LaBrie eye patch"

Offline Octavarious

• Scenes from a Mesmerism
« Reply #61 on: April 22, 2014, 08:27:11 AM »
Among those lots of people like, I would put:
Peruvian Skies, some good ideas mixed with some very poor ones, very bad lyric, pointless.
Dark Eternal night. Boring and repetitive. No DT standard.
Outcry, total boredom, bad lyrics, pointless piece as a whole.
Forsaken. For (God) Saken! Chorus is horribly resembling worse Bon Jovi repertoire...
Can't say much about early songs (WDADU) , don't know them enough well to judge. Seems they are not loved much anyway, so why bother in this topic?
From Rome, with love.