Author Topic: Not so favorite DT songs that a lot of DT Fans seems to like  (Read 3117 times)

Offline erwinrafael

Not so favorite DT songs that a lot of DT Fans seems to like
« on: April 14, 2014, 07:23:47 PM »
OK, I will start this thread.  :lol I will qualify that I do not HATE these songs, but the gap between the love showered on these songs by a huge portion of the fanbase and my own feelings for the songs are quite huge. I have a lot more DT songs that rank lower, but this thread is about songs that seem to be generally loved.

So I have three:

1. The Glass Prison - when I first listened to the song, I was almost blown away. What a rocking song.

Then I heard THE scratch. And all I can picture is DT in hiphop outfits.

And then the Cookie Monster comes in. That's when I went "what the hell?" Can't we just stick with how they did a similar thing in The Mirror?

2. The Great Debate - this is the reason why the SDOIT album, despite having three tracks in my Top 20, did not become my number one album. It was an interesting experiment but it just did not work for me.

And I think my most controversial pick:

3. Learning To Live - I like this song, actually. But I sort of see it as a prototype. Whenever I see posts that proclaim LTL as the greatest DT song ever, I think "what a sad experience for this fan" because it comes across as if everything DT has done in the next two decades since is just downhill from whatever pedestal LTL has been on. For me, LTL is a step in the right musical direction for DT, but it is not the pinnacle that many fans seem to make it out to be. The dated guitar and keyboard sounds and some of the musical arrangement decisions like the fade ending (which is very typical of songs at the time) and the bass guitar lines (which were good but brings to mind people wearing black leather pants and excessive metal accessories) did not age well for me. For me, the significance of the song is not being the greatest DT song ever, but its being a song that DT built on to make greater songs.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Not so favorite DT songs that a lot of DT Fans seems to like
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 07:36:38 PM »
This one is easy:

The Root of All Evil

Every time I see a fan say, "This is one of their best," I think, "Wait, seriously?"  It's not a bad song by any means, but it is definitely in their bottom 20%, and seeing it on the Luna Park Blu-ray make it that much more obvious, as the songwriting quality noticeably drops off during that song, especially when compared to most of the other songs in that set list.

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 08:34:33 PM »
This one is very easy, although I fully expect to take the usual amount of hate for it :)

1. Fatal Tragedy- Love the first 40 seconds of this song, and then it gets bad, and then bad goes to worse, and then I usually turn it off before it ends.
2. SDOIT - easily my least favorite song on the album. I don't think even a single section of it would make my top 50 (maybe Solitary Shell). I don't have any great reasons for disliking it, it just isn't my cup of tea.
3. Metropolis- Great beginning and great ending. Can't stand the instrumental section, which is probably the only time I'll ever say that about an early era DT song. My least favorite song on I&W

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 09:20:19 PM »
Definitely LTL and ACOS. I don't dislike either song, and I could listen to either one if I was going through the entire discography, but there is a great divide between how much I like them, and how much DTF generally loves them. Both songs would probably just miss out on my top 50, or just edge in.
Both songs just have clear weaknesses in their songwriting that drag them down for me, although overall both songs are enjoyable enough I suppose.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, 09:48:45 PM »
Honestly not too sure if there's any DT song widely loved that I don't like a lot as well. Oh unintentional conformity and I. :hat

I would say maybe LSOAD. I don't hate it at all, I still like it, but I don't really put it on this pedestal that many fans seem to do.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2014, 10:01:15 PM »
#1 that comes to mind is definitely The Great Debate. I will never understand why people love it so much. It's definitely a bottom 5 DT song for me. And while there isn't a single DT song that I outright dislike, I still feel like all the negative aspects of this song make it so not worth sitting through the whole thing, just to hear the few good moments that it does have. There's nothing wrong with liking this song, but considering how much people worship it, it just boggles my mind.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2014, 10:19:16 PM »
I guess for me it would have to be The Spirit Carries On. I don't think it's a bad song by any means, but I've always thought it was a bit cheesy and it's never done a whole lot for me.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2014, 10:39:09 PM »
I guess for me it would have to be The Spirit Carries On. I don't think it's a bad song by any means, but I've always thought it was a bit cheesy and it's never done a whole lot for me.
:iagree:

For some reason ACOS and TCOT are the only "big" epics I've been able to get into for real. I find the rest - especially Octavarium - pretty overrated.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2014, 12:43:35 AM »
Scarred's the ultimate. I find the praise mystifying - I just don't get it. There's some nice ideas in there, but they're adrift in a sea of them. It's a song I've never been able to map, I know the intro's quite nice, but beyond that it's all sort of a blur.

Metropolis I "get," I just think it's a little low on substance. The instrumental's good, and there's stuff to recommend the verses, but it's like JLB opens his mouth and the band go into a holding pattern. Nothing that's particularly instrumentally interesting happens while James LaBrie's singing, and I think it sounds so weird - very sparse. I don't get how it became their signature song, when I think a song like Take the Time showcases a lot, lot more of what makes the band great. Metropolis is still a pleasant enough listen, but would not make my top fifty.

There are probably a couple more - I am fond of Lines in the Sand, but don't think it's particularly essential - but I tend to be on the opposite side of this thread, and more often find myself loving the songs some people quite vocally deride. I don't think Octavarium has a single weak track, and I think In the Presence of Enemies, pt. 2 is the closest to a weak link on Systematic Chaos. I'm more than happy to listen to You Not Me if it comes up. There really are very few songs I dislike.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2014, 12:49:47 AM »
Outcry. The subject of the lyrics is good, but the lyrics themselves? They're not. I like the instrumental section and the chorus is okay but it's one of my least favourite songs from ADTOE.

...aaaand probably most of DT12. I really don't like the album that much, I can't find the 'magic' on it that other DT albums do have for me. I like a few songs, and the ones I like best are probably TEI and IT, but even those would probably not be in my top 50.

Offline adastra

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2014, 12:50:16 AM »
Blind Faith :D   Never liked the song.. Total borefest from start to finish.  I struggled to finish it when I heard it first time in 2002  and I still do! :D

And I really haven't got into DT12.. I hope that someday I will :)
Stay by my side / as I fade / so you can point to the end of my struggle /and the twilight of eternal days / at the low, dark edge of life.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2014, 12:59:03 AM »
Metropolis I "get," I just think it's a little low on substance. The instrumental's good, and there's stuff to recommend the verses, but it's like JLB opens his mouth and the band go into a holding pattern. Nothing that's particularly instrumentally interesting happens while James LaBrie's singing, and I think it sounds so weird - very sparse. I don't get how it became their signature song, when I think a song like Take the Time showcases a lot, lot more of what makes the band great. Metropolis is still a pleasant enough listen, but would not make my top fifty.

I see your point on Metropolis, although I think that JLB's strong melodies are what make those sections of the song. The band gets into a good metal chug, so JLB can add some soaring vocals. And the instrumental section is a defining moment for DT, and add significantly to the song as a whole. And the outro is pretty epic too.

Also, I think it became a signature song because it translates so well live, perhaps in part because of the simpler arrangement, so it became a live staple early on, and stayed there, which has helped it gain more fans. Even though Take The Time is easily a top 5 DT song for me (probably 3rd), and I prefer it to Metropolis, I don't think it often translates nearly as well live. The vocals were so incredible in the studio that they're difficult to replicate live, and it really needs to get into that groove to sound right, and needs that bubbly bass sound.

Metropolis is also a relatively "safer" song for DT, so I think a very high percentage of people at least like it, even though I don't see a huge amount of people rank it top 10. It's universally liked, rather than universally praised. Given the diversity of DT's music and fanbase, that puts it in rare company, unlike songs that are a bit more divisive that gain adoration as well as a fair share of detractors.

I do agree that TTT is the much better song though, and deserves at least equal cred. It covers a lot of ground musically, some of which they've rarely if ever repeated, but has so many signature DT elements.

Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2014, 01:04:28 AM »
I see your point on Metropolis, although I think that JLB's strong melodies are what make those sections of the song. The band gets into a good metal chug, so JLB can add some soaring vocals. And the instrumental section is a defining moment for DT, and add significantly to the song as a whole. And the outro is pretty epic too.

Pretty much this. THe thing is, first of all, like Blob said, JLB does a great job, and quite frankly, some times a band needs to know when to "dial back" on the instruments, to let the vocals do their job better. It's the same case with Home and One Last Time, if you think about it, when the vocals first start on those two songs, the riffs in the background are relatively minimalistic (although very enjoyable if you ask me).
And the thing with Metropolis is, that instrumental section still allows all the musicians to showcase their chops, so it's not a "showcase the singer only" song.

Offline mirko_metal_88

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2014, 01:36:55 AM »
TCOT...song is often pointless, lyrics are too bad...the ending is so cheesy, 4 chords over and over for some minutes, but it's quite enjoyable

not 100% crap, but definitely not on the same level of all other long tracks (ACOS, ITNOG, 8vm...)

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2014, 01:46:30 AM »
- Another Day and Take The Time: the definite low points of I&W for me. TTT is pretty cool musically, but nothing as amazing as Metropolis, UAGM or LTL. What really bugs me about both songs are the vocal melodies. And Another Day is one of the cheesiest DT songs ever.

- Voices: I don't get it. It's not bad or anything, but by far the weakest song on Awake for me, which is unfortunate, since I love the rest of the album.

- Blind Faith and Misunderstood: These two are the reason why I hardly ever listen to SDOIT in full. After the amazing opener that is TGP, you get these two borefests. And what the hell is up with the feedback section in Misunderstood? I can't stand the lyrics of either song either.

- Lost Not Forgotten: I'm not sure if it fits this list, since I enjoy and like it, but it's the low point of ADTOE imo. I don't really understand why it's some people's favourite, but oh well. Also, lyrically, it's really SC and BC&SL like, which makes it stand out in a negative way among the pretty damn good lyrics of the rest of the album.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2014, 02:05:30 AM »
A Change Of Seasons. Each time i've listened to it - it sounds like a bunch of ideas left over from better songs just thrown together and I can never work out how

it gets as much - or more - praise as Octavarium - which flows perfectly.

Offline krands85

« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2014, 04:58:10 AM »
- Blind Faith and Misunderstood: These two are the reason why I hardly ever listen to SDOIT in full. After the amazing opener that is TGP, you get these two borefests. And what the hell is up with the feedback section in Misunderstood? I can't stand the lyrics of either song either.
Those 2 for me too. I often had the strange feeling that Blind Faith might be a great song for me one day, but that it just hadn't clicked yet (like what happened with Trial of Tears and Lines in the Sand, which I now love). But it's been so long now, I doubt it ever will. Never really been too keen on Misunderstood, especially the ending.

But the most obvious one for me is the 6 Degrees title track - I've just never been a fan. Despite loving DT's longer songs, it's just never done it for me (probably doesn't help that I've always see it as separate tracks). There are some cool moments, but overall it ranks pretty low.

I don't dislike any of those songs, but it's a shame they all come on the same album! Partly explains why 6DOIT is one of my least favourite DT records.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline ninja1125

« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2014, 05:57:00 AM »
Root of all evil, Outcry, Spirit Caries On

Offline Juular

« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2014, 08:19:01 AM »
Octavarium. The only redeeming part is Petrucci's outro solo, the rest is pretty much "meh" to me, starting with the overly long Pink Floyd rip-off intro, the Disney melodies and that nonsensical lyric part (you know the one).

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2014, 08:33:49 AM »
Take The Time - It's one of my least favourite DT songs. I just don't get anything about it. The keyboard sounds annoy me and the vocal melodies are very weak in my honest opinion.
A Change of All Seasons - Drags on way too much except for Another World and doesn't flow very nicely.
Fatal Tragedy - The first 5 minutes are pretty boring compared to the great instrumental.
Lines In The Sand - Once again annoying keyboard sounds and very weak vocal melodies (especially the chorus, god).

- Voices: I don't get it. It's not bad or anything, but by far the weakest song on Awake for me, which is unfortunate, since I love the rest of the album.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2014, 08:57:18 AM »
"Space Dye Vest" - was my bathroom break at the concert a few weeks ago.  Always found it to be a massive bore that I skip whenever I listen to Awake

« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2014, 04:17:52 PM »
"Space Dye Vest" - was my bathroom break at the concert a few weeks ago.  Always found it to be a massive bore that I skip whenever I listen to Awake

You skip it? So every time you listen to Awake and Space-Dye Vest comes on, you just move on to the song that comes after it? :neverusethis:

Offline Nearmyth

« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2014, 04:42:22 PM »
There's probably a list of them, but the ones that come to mind are...

The Root of All Evil

These Walls

The Spirit Carries On

Trial of Tears

Peruvian Skies

Can't really bother with an explanation to each, they're just ones I see a lot that I don't rally care for
"Now I'm not one to soon forget
And I bet I never will...

WAAHH WAAHH DIGA DIGA WAAHH WAAHH"

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2014, 04:46:32 PM »

You skip it? So every time you listen to Awake and Space-Dye Vest comes on, you just move on to the song that comes after it? :neverusethis:

:lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jammindude

« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2014, 08:21:57 PM »
Home

I just don't get it. The outro is amazing (and the female voice acting is quite nice...lol) but the verses are too drawn out and just plain BAD.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2014, 08:22:58 PM »
I do think the verses in Home drag a bit, though overall I still really like the song.

Offline manticore999

« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2014, 11:12:05 PM »
There are quite a few, but to start off ....

ACOS - never understood the fascination with this song. 

8VM - Actually, I guess this is 'ok' on the rare occasions I can stay awake long enough for it to kick in.

TCOT - Not a fan of comedic metal

Constant Motion, ITPOE part 2, Dark Eternal Night .... it goes on and on. 

Basically, they lost me after 6DOIT but I got back on the bandwagon once ADTOE came out.  The last two albums are incredible.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 11:25:53 PM by manticore999 »

Offline adastra

« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2014, 11:24:54 PM »

ACOS - never understood the fascination with this song.  It's just drawn out, boring and James sounded horrible on it (to me).

I like ACOS but I think that it sounds kinda bad :P    It would be so cool with FII or 8VM mixing!
Stay by my side / as I fade / so you can point to the end of my struggle /and the twilight of eternal days / at the low, dark edge of life.

Offline manticore999

« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2014, 11:43:56 PM »

ACOS - never understood the fascination with this song.  It's just drawn out, boring and James sounded horrible on it (to me).

I like ACOS but I think that it sounds kinda bad :P    It would be so cool with FII or 8VM mixing!

I actually edited out the comment about James.  I've never been a fan of his voice, so it's not fair for me to comment on that. 

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2014, 04:32:41 PM »

:lol
I have Eve right after SDV :hat

Offline energythief

• Chubby Chaser
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2014, 10:48:40 PM »
The Count of Tuscany (actually all of BC&SL)
Octavarium
Sacrificed Sons
The Dark Eternal Night
Constant Motion
Panic Attack
Most of the middle of SDOIT (the song)
The Bigger Picture
Bridges in the Sky

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2014, 04:18:04 AM »
Sacrificed Sons and all of BC&SL.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2014, 04:52:04 AM »
Sacrificed Sons and all of BC&SL.
Not so favorite DT songs that a lot of DT Fans seems to like
:neverusethis:

Offline Laughingplace56

« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2014, 08:11:08 AM »
- Another Day and Take The Time: the definite low points of I&W for me. TTT is pretty cool musically, but nothing as amazing as Metropolis, UAGM or LTL. And Another Day is one of the cheesiest DT songs ever.

First point is my thoughts on those songs exactly. I like TtT a lot and it's real fun and all, but it gets too high of praise imo. And AD has some nice things about it but overall very cheesy and not interesting.

Voices I do enjoy, but it's not as good as most think it is to me. It's my least favorite of AMBI, but it's still a good song and not my least favorite off the album (I actually don't what that is for that album. Most of it is so strong.)

As for some others, I'd say all of Falling Into Infinity save ToT and HK. I see a lot of people defend the album and say they love it, but on a whole I don't love the album. LitS is very overrated. I like it and it has some great parts, but it just drags. Most of the rest is just not great in my eyes.

Offline Zyzzyva17

« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2014, 02:43:02 PM »
The following songs are not in my top 50:

Learning to Live
Voices
Scarred
Trial of Tears
Home
Finally Free
The Glass Prison
The Great Debate