Poll

Do you like The Dark Eternal Night?

Yes
121 (77.1%)
No
36 (22.9%)

Total Members Voted: 152

Author Topic: Do you like The Dark Eternal Night?  (Read 4418 times)

Offline McNugg

• Lurker Extraordinaire
Re: Do you like The Dark Eternal Night?
« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2014, 03:04:53 AM »
On the record -  not so much.

Live - VERY YES.

Offline JLa

« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2014, 05:02:58 AM »
Don't like it. Actually, I prefer the Dark Nintendo Night-version.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2014, 05:12:32 AM »
Cool song.  Love the outro breakdown riff.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Juular

« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2014, 07:05:15 AM »
No, I think it's one of the worst songs they've ever written. Some nice riffs but the melodies are pretty bad and the vocals are just ridiculous.

Offline tiagodon

« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2014, 08:32:04 AM »
The song is a cousin of Metropolis Pt. 1.
It follows the same pattern. Strong riff in the beginning, a long instrumental part in the middle, very progressive and heavy.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2014, 09:00:36 AM »
I could take it or leave it.    The lyrics are....kind of.....you know....   

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2014, 09:49:58 AM »
One of a kind for DT, and it should be appreciated for that fact alone.
Well, I don't get THAT reasoning.  If it was one of a kind, and still awful, it shouldn't be appreciated for being one of a kind.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2014, 09:54:08 AM »
If I'm in the mood for something heavier then that is one of the first songs I'll go to.  I love the opening riff and the instrumental section in the middle. I am not a fan of the lyrics though.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2014, 10:03:12 AM »
I love it!

Like Blob points out it is extremely well crafted and in my mind it does perfectly what it set out to do. It's a heavy, fun sound-track to a monster movie. I'd actually like it if DT spent more time writing more songs that don't take themselves too seriously. The instrumental section is awesome and of course the JP solo is a monster in its own right. It also has some of my favorite work by MP...the outro.

Oh, and it slays live!  :biggrin:
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2014, 10:15:27 AM »
Yeah, musically it's pretty killer.  Like I said, take it or leave it.  I do listen to the entire track whenever (e.g. once a year) I listen to Systematic Chaos

Edit: and the instrumental break is the best part, yup  :tup

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2014, 11:19:03 AM »
The song is a cousin of Metropolis Pt. 1.
It follows the same pattern. Strong riff in the beginning, a long instrumental part in the middle, very progressive and heavy.

To be fair, most longer DT songs have the same general structure.  In any case just being structured similarly to Metropolis doesn't necessarily make it good.

Offline jonnybaxy

• Step after step We try controlling our fate When we finally start living it's become too late
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: April 15, 2014, 11:35:27 AM »
Album: Hell yeah!

Live: God no! Labries whiny vocals in the verses make me cringe!

Offline Cable

« Reply #47 on: April 15, 2014, 01:16:33 PM »
Probably bottom 5 for me, so no. I like parts of it (main riff, some of the instrumental section, ending riff), but it's not enough to save the song as a whole IMO.
---

Offline Shine

« Reply #48 on: April 15, 2014, 04:31:46 PM »
It's the song that got me into DT. I had just spent the previous year or two listening to almost exclusively Metallica and Dragonforce, so it was just about perfect for me. It's got more cheese than the moon, but it's still pretty great.
lake of fire

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #49 on: April 15, 2014, 05:58:36 PM »
It's the song that got me into DT. I had just spent the previous year or two listening to almost exclusively Metallica and Dragonforce, so it was just about perfect for me. It's got more cheese than the moon, but it's still pretty great.

In other words, it doesn't actually have any cheese?  :lol
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #50 on: April 15, 2014, 06:29:48 PM »
On the record -  not so much.

Live - VERY YES.

Pretty much this. I don't know why this song gets so much better for me in a live setting... maybe it's because it's less easy to concentrate on the god-awful lyrics (I can tolerate some cheese but this song is just on a whole other level) or because the Portnoy vocals on the studio version sound pretty terrible. Or maybe it's just because its energy-packed heaviness just works perfectly for a live setting.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #51 on: April 15, 2014, 09:13:14 PM »
No other version of TDEN can touch the studio version imo. It's just so perfect for what it needs to be, with the heavy drum sound for that essential pounding rhythm, the gated sounding guitars, the cranked bass, the distorted vocals, it's all just right. On LALP the drums are weaker, and the vocals aren't quite as aggressive, and the mix doesn't give it that necessary low end for the song to work as effectively. It's still a solid version though, but I'm always coming back to the studio version.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #52 on: April 16, 2014, 05:42:08 AM »
yes
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #53 on: April 16, 2014, 09:48:33 AM »
One of the bottom 3 DT songs.
So, no.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: April 16, 2014, 09:59:19 AM »
Havent voted yet, but yes I like the song but its one of my least favorite DT songs.  I do like it live better without the effects on the vocals.

Offline Nearmyth

« Reply #55 on: April 16, 2014, 10:45:38 AM »
I like it, mostly for the instrumental section which is just plain fun  :biggrin:
"Now I'm not one to soon forget
And I bet I never will...

WAAHH WAAHH DIGA DIGA WAAHH WAAHH"

Offline energythief

• Chubby Chaser
« Reply #56 on: April 20, 2014, 12:00:07 PM »
Don't care for it. It's an auto-skip.

But I am happy others enjoy it!
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 01:06:00 AM by energythief »

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #57 on: April 20, 2014, 02:12:30 PM »
Not at all. They tried to do something very tongue in cheek but it just doesn't work for me.

Offline JiM-Xtreme

« Reply #58 on: April 20, 2014, 02:32:29 PM »
Yes!

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #59 on: April 20, 2014, 02:39:10 PM »
I "like" it but being the fanboy I am, just liking a DT song usually leaves it somewhere near the bottom.  Some great instumental work but there is something about it leaves me feeling a little silly as I think it is just a bit out of character for who the band has evolved into as shown in recent work - namely a more mature overall presentation of their collective abilities.  Don't think we will ever see another song like it from DT.
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #60 on: April 20, 2014, 02:47:44 PM »
While I cringe every time I hear the studio version, the live version from the Forsaken EP kicks major ass.

Offline The Holy Tune

« Reply #61 on: April 20, 2014, 04:09:24 PM »
Used to dislike it with passion like a year ago. But after hearing the LALP version, I suddenly loved it! Now I like both the studio version and the live versions. Pretty kickass song with fucking metal lyrics!

Offline James Sucellus

« Reply #62 on: April 20, 2014, 04:15:01 PM »
I don't think I dislike any DT song that isn't You Not Me, or a Muse clone. Hell, I like every song on When Dream and Day Unite.

The Dark Eternal Night is alright, and I get a kick out of DT homaging H.P. Lovecraft, as his works are among my biggest obsessions. It's just not especially involving or memorable when it comes to their work.

Offline son_ov_hades

« Reply #63 on: April 22, 2014, 03:23:17 PM »
The worst song Dream Theater has ever written. Suffering through it several times live nearly killed the show for me.
"Ok, these guys are only catering to the hardcore fanbase that already bought the $8000 meet and greet package complete with signed LaBrie eye patch"

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #64 on: April 22, 2014, 03:31:39 PM »
The worst song Dream Theater has ever written. Suffering through it several times live nearly killed the show for me.

You are full of strong opinions. :eek

I totally get that people don't like the song, but I can't see it as 9 minute of total ear-grating shitagery. What about it don't you like?

Offline XB0BX

« Reply #65 on: April 22, 2014, 06:55:32 PM »
One of my favorite songs from one of my favorite albums.

Offline son_ov_hades

« Reply #66 on: April 22, 2014, 08:48:53 PM »

You are full of strong opinions. :eek

I totally get that people don't like the song, but I can't see it as 9 minute of total ear-grating shitagery. What about it don't you like?

My opinions seems to be abrasive at times, but that's just how I express myself don't take it too seriously. Here's how I phrased it in my top 50 thread.

Aaaaand the worst song Dream Theater has ever written is very obviously The Dark Eternal Night. Seriously, fuck this song. There is nothing good about it. That god awful nu metal riff that forms the basis of the song, ugh >:(. Mike Portnoy's Phil Anselmo tough guy impression coupled with Labrie's lead vocals that suck so much they had to throw a million layers of effects on to try and cover them up :lol. The chorus is so lame too. Oh and Jordan hasn't done anything yet so they throw in a bunch of stupid and totally uninteresting synth parts that just meander and go nowhere. As if the song was a mess enough already they decide it would be good to break into ragtime for half a second!  :facepalm: Oh and its waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too long. I mean halfway though I wish it was over and by the end I'm not even paying attention anymore.  :flame: this bullshit song
"Ok, these guys are only catering to the hardcore fanbase that already bought the $8000 meet and greet package complete with signed LaBrie eye patch"

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #67 on: April 22, 2014, 09:15:21 PM »
And that post was ok with the forum rules how?
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #68 on: April 22, 2014, 09:33:19 PM »
 :rollin

I don't know, it might find trouble in making it to my top 50, but I still really like it. The chorus is powerful and awe-inducing.

"Drifting beyond all time..." <-- Love that shit there

That ragtime section adds this wacky, almost bombastic and bloated feeling to the song, which would only be a bad thing if you're taking it too seriously. The lyrics in this one seem to be the laughing stock of the DTF community, and to be honest they do feel a little overly dramatic and filled to the brim with cheese, but that's the kind of crap I can take and appreciate for what it is when it's coming from DT. Actually paying attention to the lyrics, I usually can't take the song very seriously, and that helps a lot with this kind of music cause I always see TDOE as a fun, heavy, energetic song rather than "epic" for lack of a better word. That's probably why the ragtime section never bothered me, because the rest of the song is also wacky as hell.

The utter, sludgy riffage near the end of the instrumental section is pretty satisfying too.

Offline SuperProgBros

« Reply #69 on: April 23, 2014, 03:28:17 PM »
Yes, but I don't like the way they played it on the Live at Luna Park blu-ray...