Poll

Do you like The Dark Eternal Night?

Yes
121 (77.1%)
No
36 (22.9%)

Total Members Voted: 152

Author Topic: Do you like The Dark Eternal Night?  (Read 4421 times)

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
Do you like The Dark Eternal Night?
« on: April 14, 2014, 11:31:43 AM »
This was called into question in the "favorite DT track that everyone else hates" thread, so here we go.  Let's settle this.  What is DTF's opinion on The Dark Eternal Night?

I'll start off by saying that I don't really like it at all.  The main riff is cool and the chorus is catchy but that's all the song really has going for it IMO.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 12:33:55 PM by hefdaddy42 »

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
Re: Do you like TDEN?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 11:32:35 AM »
I like it. It's not one of their best, but I still enjoy it a fair bit.

Offline emtee

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 11:33:39 AM »
Yep.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 11:36:57 AM »
I like the song but it's very average for DT, leaning towards the lower side of the average spectrum
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, 11:39:36 AM »
I love the song. It's powerful and it pumps me every time  :metal
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline krands85

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2014, 11:51:05 AM »
I like the song but it's very average for DT, leaning towards the lower side of the average spectrum
I pretty much agree with this. I would like it a bit more if it didn't drag on as long as it does. I generally prefer the longer DT songs, but this one doesn't really have enough about it to justify being almost 9 minutes long.

Maybe put the full song name in the thread title, for those not so hot on the acronyms if you want a better response?
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2014, 12:06:59 PM »
Yes, but not a favorite by any means.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2014, 12:09:54 PM »
No.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2014, 12:12:55 PM »
Love it
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2014, 12:15:15 PM »
Probably not my least favorite track, but definitely at the bottom end, so I would say no I don't like it.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2014, 12:23:13 PM »
Yep, I like it.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2014, 12:31:50 PM »
No.
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2014, 12:32:09 PM »
Yep.  I get why some do not like it, and I didn't like it at first either, but for what it is - a metal song that is a big pile of cheese - it works really well. :metal

Offline CharlesPL

Re: Do you like The Dark Eternal Night?
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2014, 12:41:35 PM »
No

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2014, 12:43:50 PM »
Love it, it's one of my go-to-tracks when I feel like I'm overwhelmed with energy. The main riff, the chorus and the magnificent end riff are the highlights. MP slays throughout, I especially like how he places some of his snare hits in the instrumental sections and that overcranked double bass makes the main riff (and the last part of the chorus) sound huge.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2014, 12:44:44 PM »
Maybe put the full song name in the thread title, for those not so hot on the acronyms if you want a better response?
Good idea.

And yes, I like it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2014, 12:52:57 PM »
Yep.  I get why some do not like it,  but for what it is - a metal song that is a big pile of cheese - it works really well. :metal
Yeah, I agree.

Plus it's an absolute fuc#ing BEAST live.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2014, 12:57:51 PM »
Yes. When SC came out, it was the track (as well as "Repentance") that surprised me the most on that album. "Constant Motion" and "Forsaken" were pretty standard DT-fare, and "Prophets Of War" was just riding the Muse-train that started on the previous album with "Never Enough". The two epics were pretty by-the-numbers for DT as well, just new riffs and lyrics. "The Dark Eternal Night" was heavy, balls-to-the-walls metal and the chugging riffs were tight and massive. The middle section is stellar as well, and the outro contains that crazy Continuum solo that JR improvised!

Sure, the lyrics have more cheese than a pizza parlor, but it's part of its charm! It's not my FAVORITE song from that album, or by DT altogether, but it's a good song to just head bang to!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline robwebster

« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2014, 01:03:34 PM »
Huge "yes" from me. It's one of their very best.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2014, 02:01:37 PM »
Huge "yes" from me. It's one of their very best.

Yes.

Offline As I Am

• Banned
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2014, 02:11:18 PM »
Good song, not great by any means

Offline Infinite Cactus

• DT.net Member
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2014, 02:31:57 PM »
I really like it. It's my second favorite from Systematic Chaos (after ITPOE1). I had just gotten into DT through the Octavarium cycle and since exploring all of their albums, thought I knew what to expect. This was probably the biggest surprise to me. It's such a ridiculous song. I legitimately like it, but it makes me laugh out loud at parts. Which is why I like it so much. It's heavy as fuck, and wacky as all get it (apparently this song is my ex-girlfriend waka waka old man joke.) But nah, it's a neat dude.

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2014, 02:37:02 PM »
Probably not my least favorite track, but definitely at the bottom end, so I would say no I don't like it.
This. Although I will say it was much better live.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2014, 02:41:26 PM »
I like the first 30 seconds or so, then the distorted vocals come in and I lose all feels.

Offline evz

« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2014, 02:43:10 PM »
This is a song that did not click for me until Live at Luna Park - they absolutely kill it, and I love it :)

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2014, 02:55:47 PM »
Great song. The riffs are crushing and I love the chorus. I'm not even sure if it would be in my own top 50, and as Nekov said, it might even still lean towards the lower side of the average spectrum (when it comes to DT at least), but even that means it's still pretty good.

Offline mirko_metal_88

« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2014, 03:46:59 PM »
One of my favourite from SC...i don't like so much that record so it means that i like the song, but i don't "love" it :D

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2014, 04:05:47 PM »
This is a song that did not click for me until Live at Luna Park - they absolutely kill it, and I love it :)
I have a sort of similar story, since I started listening to it more often when I saw that it'll be featured on the DVD. Before that it was on the auto-skip-list, but it clicked with me soon enough and nowadays it scratches my top 25.

With that said, I ended up being woefully disappointed with the Luna Park version (just like with pretty much the rest of the DVD, sans 6:00, the drum solo and JLB). The drums sound especially weak when juxtaposed with MP's sound and the 50 layers of JLB backing vocals kill the live vibe. The ending is a lot better though, Jordan's Zen Riffer solo runs circles around the random Continuum sliding he does in the studio version.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2014, 04:23:15 PM »
Great song. One of a kind for DT, and it should be appreciated for that fact alone.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2014, 04:26:24 PM »
I've always thought it was alright, but for some reason I gained a new respect for it after I saw the LALP version.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2014, 06:28:37 PM »
It is a good live track. It's like Enigma Machine, not spectacular when played in its studio version, but enjoyable when played live.

Offline 2Timer

• The only DT fan who plays country music!
  • Don't turn your back on parrot eyes
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2014, 06:55:12 PM »
What's not to like? Awesome riff, catchy chorus, kick ass guitar solo. It doesn't have to be their best work for it to be awesome!
I am God when it goes to hell
When it turns out good I'm not to blame

Offline mahyar.sn

« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2014, 07:21:36 PM »
yeaah! this is a different song for the group, some kind of djent style riffs here and there, like it but not love love it

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2014, 09:13:38 PM »
With that said, I ended up being woefully disappointed with the Luna Park version (just like with pretty much the rest of the DVD, sans 6:00, the drum solo and JLB). The drums sound especially weak when juxtaposed with MP's sound and the 50 layers of JLB backing vocals kill the live vibe. The ending is a lot better though, Jordan's Zen Riffer solo runs circles around the random Continuum sliding he does in the studio version.

I don't think much of the LALP version either. The drums are just not right all around, especially what he does during the outro. They pulled off the vocals slightly better than I expected though.

I don't like TDEN. I LOVE TDEN. Excellent song, and hugely underrated for how well crafted it is. I do get why it's not to everyone's tastes though. But it's their loss. :biggrin:
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2014, 01:56:54 AM »
Love it. My favourite from SC.