Author Topic: The Kerplunks (EP Streaming Now! Now With Music Video!)  (Read 2078 times)

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
The Kerplunks (EP Streaming Now! Now With Music Video!)
« on: April 14, 2014, 05:57:19 AM »
We've officially released our first EP, Reflections Seeing Double! Listen/buy here

Aaaaaaaaaand we just had our first show this past weekend. It was an absolute blast, and we were lucky enough to record everything. Youtube playlist is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZLWbw7JgFQ&list=PLV6f97ln-mm06uHyEbRB3PSTamt-Pi40n

For those just tuning in, I play guitar.

Teh Setlest:
Punk Song.mp3 (an original)
We Will Fall Together (Streetlight Manifesto)
Sell Out (Reel Big Fish)
Shining On (Big D and the Kids Table)
Real Eyes (another original)
Somewhere in the Between (Streetlight Manifesto)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 09:35:59 AM by Ultimetalhead »
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
Re: So, I'm playing in a ska band now
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 08:50:39 AM »
Awesome! Looks like fun. Speaking of Streetlight Manifesto, one of my friends from college is in that band and I still haven't heard them. I guess the tracks you played give me a bit of an idea...

edit:  :rollin, the guy jumping into the cactus
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 09:31:59 AM »
Holy shit! Do you know what he plays in the band?
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 11:17:50 AM »
Ska shows are always fun.  I had a ska phase my freshman year in college, and saw The Toasters and The Mighty Mighty Boss Tones on consecutive weekends.  Good times.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, 03:02:50 PM »
Yeah, it was a lot of fun to be a part of it. The crowd energy was definitely there, and we were pumped like hell, so it was like we were feeding off of each other's energy until everything just went crazy.

Also, I was secretly begging for you to respond to this thread because I swear it was you who always said you wanted to see me get with a band.  :lol

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2014, 06:50:27 PM »
Holy shit! Do you know what he plays in the band?

Si, trumpet. His name is Matt. We're not close but I spent a lot of time around the music building dating a trumpet player, so... One of the other dudes went to my college as well and we have mutual friends, but I don't know him.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2014, 07:13:56 PM »
That's awesome. I honestly wasn't that big of a Streetlight fan until joining this band, but I absolutely love the songs of theirs we play.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2014, 07:35:53 PM »
Yeah, that was me.  I said that when you were shredding over canned drum and bass tracks as The Biscuit Merchant

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2014, 07:57:52 PM »
Well, it's your lucky day. Now I'm shredding over regular drums, bass, and horns.  :)

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2014, 03:51:08 PM »
I like ska. That's awesome.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2014, 04:04:54 PM »
I thought ska was dead?

Anyway, I was a huge ska fan when I was in high school.  Started with Less Than Jake and then migrated to more Ska and less punk.

I never listened to Streetlight Manifesto before, but isnt that a lot of the same guys from catch 22 or something? I was a crazy catch 22 fan since Im from NJ and I saw them like 11 times over two years in NJ.  Always a fun and energetic show.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2014, 07:03:40 PM »
I thought ska was dead?

Anyway, I was a huge ska fan when I was in high school.  Started with Less Than Jake and then migrated to more Ska and less punk.

I never listened to Streetlight Manifesto before, but isnt that a lot of the same guys from catch 22 or something? I was a crazy catch 22 fan since Im from NJ and I saw them like 11 times over two years in NJ.  Always a fun and energetic show.
Correct. I think the energy is the best part of the whole experience. It's pretty much impossible to stand around bored at a ska show.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2014, 06:25:04 PM »
Just got word that my band is going to be playing shows with Downtown Brown in October, and a famous touring ska band called Mustard Plug in November. Needless to say I'm ludicrously excited.

Also here like us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/kerplunksband

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2014, 07:08:04 PM »
Just got word that my band is going to be playing shows with Downtown Brown in October, and a famous touring ska band called Mustard Plug in November. Needless to say I'm ludicrously excited.

Also here like us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/kerplunksband

Cool, yea I used to listen to Mustard Plug, but that was many years ago.  I didnt realize they were still around, but thats awesome.  Congrads!

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: So, I'm playing in a ska band (NOW WITH MUSIC!)
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2014, 06:12:00 AM »
We did an incredibly silly lyric video for one of our originals. Yay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Em-RXIaBsI

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2014, 09:56:33 AM »
you guys ever do any Skatalites covers? Roland Alphonso?

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2014, 10:29:01 AM »
I've actually not listened to either of those, but I'm sure my singer has. He knows literally every ska band that's ever existed. We cover a lot of Streetlight Manifesto, and we've done a Reel Big Fish song, a Big D and the Kids Table song, and we're working on a Common Rider song for our next round of shows.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2014, 10:41:22 AM »
Lol, sounds a bit like you're in the same situation like I was with my first band in Germany. They played Irish Folk Rock, and I joined mostly because I was friends with them, not because it was my favorite style of music. We would play somewhere, and after the gig people would come to me and say "You guys sound a lot like New Model Army! What do you think of their latest album?" and I would have no clue :lol
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2014, 10:47:49 AM »
Lol, sounds a bit like you're in the same situation like I was with my first band in Germany. They played Irish Folk Rock, and I joined mostly because I was friends with them, not because it was my favorite style of music. We would play somewhere, and after the gig people would come to me and say "You guys sound a lot like New Model Army! What do you think of their latest album?" and I would have no clue :lol
A little bit, yeah.  :lol Fortunately, I'm really into Streetlight Manifesto, Operation Ivy and some of the harder-edged ska bands. We're usually compared to bands that I know so it hasn't been so bad. I'll still get the occasional "Wow you guys are just like blehblahblehxxxskaband" and I just have to say "Hell yeah man!" and that's usually that.  :P

Edit: I just looked up The Skatalites and that triggered a memory. I definitely looked these guys up and listened to them quite a bit when I was first discovering the genre. I'm more into the third wave side of things, but Skatalites is definitely some good shit.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2014, 01:20:00 PM »
I've actually not listened to either of those, but I'm sure my singer has. He knows literally every ska band that's ever existed. We cover a lot of Streetlight Manifesto, and we've done a Reel Big Fish song, a Big D and the Kids Table song, and we're working on a Common Rider song for our next round of shows.

ahh makes sense.

I was turned on to some groups, including the Skatalites and Roland Alphonso (front man from the Skatalites) by a buddy I know at KFAI radio in Minneapolis. He does this show called "Rocket Ship, Ska Trip" which is on late at night but also archived to stream/download.

https://kfai.org/rocketshipskatrip

I bet your singer knows a lot of his playlist. Maybe next time I see him, I'll mention your band.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2014, 02:13:54 PM »
Hey, that would be really cool! We're releasing an EP soon (but it's a secret don't tell anyone shhhh), so if he feels like giving some lowly local ska band a bit of exposure I'd be more than happy to hook him up with a tune or two.  :tup

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2014, 01:52:36 PM »
New song we played yesterday https://youtu.be/O6wGlbCfEKo

Last night's show was absolutely insane. Tons of support from the crowd and we even made some money! We'll be releasing our EP some time in the very near future (probably some time this week).

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: So, I'm playing in a ska band (EP Streaming Now!)
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2014, 01:22:03 PM »
Yay we released the EP weeeeeee

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2014, 01:45:04 PM »
I'll pimp this off to some of my friends who are into ska. Have you heard of General Tso's Fury? I have a few friends in that band, they operate out of Jacksonville.(Not sure if I already asked this)
But yeah, I'll show some friends of mine this, see if I can help spread the word.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2014, 02:01:57 PM »
I'll pimp this off to some of my friends who are into ska. Have you heard of General Tso's Fury? I have a few friends in that band, they operate out of Jacksonville.(Not sure if I already asked this)
But yeah, I'll show some friends of mine this, see if I can help spread the word.
I've heard of them, yeah! Their name is absolutely fucking phenomenal, and their music's pretty awesome too!

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: So, I'm playing in a ska band (EP Streaming Now! BUY IT!)
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2014, 09:10:46 AM »
Buy our EP for the struggling college kids do it! Come on you know you want it in your life!  :D :heart :heart :D

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Kerplunks (EP Streaming Now! BUY IT!)
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2015, 08:35:52 AM »
Fun stuff happening over in band land. We're playing back-to-back shows this weekend, recording another EP professionally at a studio in Brooklyn, and embarking on a mini-tour straight after that. Life is good.  :D

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Kerplunks (EP Streaming Now! Now With Music Video!)
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2015, 09:36:16 AM »