Poll

What is your favourite DT track from this pool of tracks which most users hate?

Lie
15 (9.8%)
Lifting Shadow Off A Dream
28 (18.3%)
New Millennium
21 (13.7%)
You Not Me
5 (3.3%)
Burning My Soul
2 (1.3%)
Just Let Me Breathe
3 (2%)
Through Her Eyes
5 (3.3%)
The Answer Lies Within
6 (3.9%)
I Walk Beside You
9 (5.9%)
Never Enough
5 (3.3%)
Constant Motion
10 (6.5%)
Prophets Of War
4 (2.6%)
A Rite Of Passage
4 (2.6%)
The Best Of Times
22 (14.4%)
Build Me Up, Break Me Down
1 (0.7%)
Enigma Machine
10 (6.5%)
Raw Dog
3 (2%)

Total Members Voted: 148

Voting closed: June 11, 2014, 10:23:17 PM

Author Topic: Favourite DT track that everyone else seems to hate  (Read 4737 times)

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
Re: Favourite DT track that everyone else seems to hate
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2014, 01:50:34 PM »
Raw Dog. It's the closest DT has ever come to playing as heavily as I wish they would for just one song. Though they've been more geared toward metal since TOT, except for 8VM, JP usually writes riffs that sound like what would've been ballsy 5 years ago but not quite so much in the present. Raw Dog just has a fun vibe to it and its nice to not have the heaviness compromised by JLB's vocals since he's never been cut out for singing over truly heavy music.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline fibreoptix

« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2014, 01:54:48 PM »
Burning My Soul, Lie, Lifting Shadows and Anna Lee are the most obvious contenders for me. And Build Me Up for that matter.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2014, 01:55:28 PM »
Josh, how does it feel to be the one person out of 76 to have voted for Raw Dog?

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2014, 02:15:02 PM »
For what it's worth, I actually like Raw Dog as well. I just like Lie more.

Offline Nearmyth

« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2014, 02:46:00 PM »
People hate Lie and Lifting Shadows? ??? ??? I've almost never seen hate for those, so I'm not gonna count those in the list (otherwise I would pick Lie).

But probably The Best of Times, I love that song
"Now I'm not one to soon forget
And I bet I never will...

WAAHH WAAHH DIGA DIGA WAAHH WAAHH"

Offline yeah_93

« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2014, 08:57:01 PM »
People hate Lifting Shadows? That's really strange. If it wasn't for that song I'd vote for Constant Motion or A Rite of Passage, I like them.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2014, 03:33:30 AM »
Can we have a poll of songs you hate that people seem to generally love?  :lol I am voting for The Glass Prison.  :rollin

I'd love that poll :lol
Another Day, Take The Time, Voices, Blind Faith, Misunderstood ;)

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2014, 04:16:14 AM »
Lie, Lifting Shadows and New Millennium are hated? :( Why?

I can assure you that Lie can be hated, and you can tell your stepfather I said so.  :loser:

Offline CharlesPL

« Reply #43 on: April 14, 2014, 04:31:50 AM »
Lie.

Offline Nefarius

• Named Nefarius since before it was cool.
« Reply #44 on: April 14, 2014, 09:24:10 AM »
I actually like Lifting Shadows Off A Dream, You Not Me, Through Her Eyes, The Answer Lies Within, Prophets Of War, Build Me Up Break Me Down and You Not Me, Through Her Eyes, Prophets Of War quite a lot. No idea what's to hate. ???

Greetings...
Nef

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #45 on: April 14, 2014, 09:37:46 AM »
If we did a poll asking "Do you like TDEN?: Yes/No" no doubt there'd be more voting no than yes.
I think that you are very, very wrong.  Not sure where this concept comes from, because from what I've seen it gets mostly love.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #46 on: April 14, 2014, 04:24:42 PM »
Why people hate Lifting Shadows, I will never understand. One of the most beautiful DT songs ever written.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #47 on: April 14, 2014, 05:00:04 PM »
Raw Dog. It's the closest DT has ever come to playing as heavily as I wish they would for just one song. Though they've been more geared toward metal since TOT, except for 8VM, JP usually writes riffs that sound like what would've been ballsy 5 years ago but not quite so much in the present. Raw Dog just has a fun vibe to it and its nice to not have the heaviness compromised by JLB's vocals since he's never been cut out for singing over truly heavy music.

I really like raw Dog. It's easily as good as, if not better than, Enigma Machine.

I voted The Best Of Times. I love that song. In my DT Top 20 easily. I have no idea why the lyrics catch so much flak. They're so direct, if simplistic. Absolutely conveys the message.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #48 on: April 14, 2014, 06:25:34 PM »
Lie, Lifting Shadows and New Millennium are hated? :( Why?

I can assure you that Lie can be hated, and you can tell your stepfather I said so.  :loser:

LOL

Mother mary quite contrary
Kiss the boys and make them wary
Things are getting just a little bit scary
It's a wonder I can still breathe

Offline Cable

« Reply #49 on: April 14, 2014, 06:27:22 PM »
New Millennium. Top 5 DT, and basically is the song that got me into them.
---

Offline Lucidity

• Patron Saint of Time Signatures
« Reply #50 on: April 14, 2014, 07:12:26 PM »
I'm going with New Millennium. Never seen any hate for Lie though.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #51 on: April 14, 2014, 09:16:02 PM »
Why people hate Lifting Shadows, I will never understand. One of the most beautiful DT songs ever written.

I don't hate the song, but I will chime in and say I just don't like the vibe of the song at all (kinda U2-ish). Objectively I don't think there's a problem with that song at all, it's just personal preference.
I can't say I ever hear any hate for the song anyway.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #52 on: April 14, 2014, 10:23:47 PM »
Hard choice for me here but I had to go with A Rite of Passage. I know everyone here seems to hate the song, but I've always enjoyed it and I love the chorus. I do agree with one of the main criticisms I've seen here that the bebot solo drags the song down though. Overall the song would probably land somewhere in my top 30-50 DT songs.

Offline Cable

« Reply #53 on: April 15, 2014, 10:50:10 AM »
Hard choice for me here but I had to go with A Rite of Passage. I know everyone here seems to hate the song, but I've always enjoyed it and I love the chorus. I do agree with one of the main criticisms I've seen here that the bebot solo drags the song down though. Overall the song would probably land somewhere in my top 30-50 DT songs.

The chorus is amazing, and I love JP's lead-esque lines during it.
---

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: April 15, 2014, 11:16:25 AM »
I'm going with through her eyes. I didn't vote for LSOAD because I don't think people hate that song so it doesn't really qualify
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #55 on: April 15, 2014, 01:24:47 PM »
Enigma Machine

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #56 on: April 15, 2014, 02:23:17 PM »
Raw Dog.  Its truly underrated and treated like a step child.  Almost every interview last year mentioned Enigma Machine as the first (album) instrumental in ten years, and I just felt sorry that Raw Dog was put out on the stoop so soon.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #57 on: April 15, 2014, 02:40:21 PM »
From that list, I'd say New Millennium.  I have always really dug that song. Its groovy and actually is probably one of my favorite MP and JMX songs.  I think it really shows them working together as the rhythm section.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #58 on: April 15, 2014, 03:39:48 PM »
Raw Dog.  Its truly underrated and treated like a step child.  Almost every interview last year mentioned Enigma Machine as the first (album) instrumental in ten years, and I just felt sorry that Raw Dog was put out on the stoop so soon.

Exactly.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #59 on: April 15, 2014, 08:02:15 PM »
I don't think even DT really like Raw Dog. They've never played it live, have they?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: April 15, 2014, 09:16:32 PM »
I don't think even DT really like Raw Dog. They've never played it live, have they?

They also never played SDV until this tour. I wouldn't take it as an indication either way. It's a quick instrumental they put together for a video game "soundtrack", so it's not exactly high priority.
I doubt they love it, but I don't see that they'd dislike it either.

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #61 on: April 16, 2014, 12:08:05 AM »
I always find it funny when DT fans dislike certain songs so much that they try to convince themselves that DT themselves don't even like the song either.  They wrote the song, why on earth would DT hate Raw Dog all of a sudden?

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #62 on: April 16, 2014, 12:14:35 AM »
Maybe they think that most of the people at their shows wouldn't even know the song (Raw Dog). It hasn't appeared on any actual Dream Theater releases, after all, and if I recall that God of War disc wasn't very popular. Better for them to fill the setlist with songs that people know and that they think people want to hear.

Online Sycsa

« Reply #63 on: April 16, 2014, 12:28:11 AM »
They wrote the song, why on earth would DT hate Raw Dog all of a sudden?
Hate is a strong word, but similarly, you can't assume that they like all their songs just because they wrote it. JP was pretty critical regarding WDADU in a recent interview for example but they still feature the album live quite often.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #64 on: April 16, 2014, 12:29:37 AM »
I suspect most of its audience follows the band with a hardcore enthusiasm.  It just DT's fan base, so I think a majority of concertgoers would be at least familiar with Raw Dog.  In the end, its a good song that could stomp some ass live, so I think people would respond favorably for that reason alone.  DT has historically sprinkled rare gems into its set (Raise The Knife) regardless of album exposure and I hope this continues.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #65 on: April 16, 2014, 01:21:56 AM »
I suspect most of its audience follows the band with a hardcore enthusiasm.  It just DT's fan base, so I think a majority of concertgoers would be at least familiar with Raw Dog. 
Watch Score again - half the crowd don't even know where Raise the Knife ends! I know DT are a cult band, but it's still a mistake to define its fanbase by its geekiest fringes. (That's us!) Scarred was dropped from the Chaos in Motion tour because it wasn't going down too well - Constant Motion persisted right through to the end of the BCSL tour.

Some of that's the format - I think Scarred's more Evening With friendly - but I don't think there's any day of the week you could run a "What do you want to see live - Constant Motion or Scarred" poll on this board and not expect Scarred to win by a landslide. We're a very warped portrait of the greater ticket-buying fanbase. I'm sure there'd be a lot of people in that room who'd recognise Raw Dog, but I also think there'd be a lot more who wouldn't. DT is just one band among many, and it won't necessarily be everyone's favourite band - just a band they like.

Equally, though, I'd argue that's not a reason to shy away from playing it! They played Another Won every night on the 20th Anniversary tour. Most everyone in the crowd was probably hearing that for the first time, but I think it was absolutely worth dusting off. Don't Look Past Me's the song I'd like to see. They never played it, as all the backing vocals would make it nigh-on impossible to perform with just the one strong lead singer, but they're playing to a click track now, they can pump some of that stuff in.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: April 16, 2014, 01:40:45 AM »
What rob said.

Offline Eldomm

• Metropolis chemist
« Reply #67 on: April 16, 2014, 02:21:20 AM »
very tough choice between Lie and Lifting Shadows, I love them both...

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: April 16, 2014, 03:55:50 AM »
I voted AROP, I always thought that was a great song.  IWBY would be next, then Lie.  Didn't know people really hated Lie though, or Lifting Shadows.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #69 on: April 16, 2014, 03:56:36 AM »
yeah, good points Rob.  +1 for Don't Look Past Me.  It would be great to bring out a singer from a supporting act to sing the backup vocals on that one, which would not be the first time DT has done that -- Galactic Cowboys/Take the Time; Doug Pinnick/Lines in the Sand.