Poll

What is your favourite DT track from this pool of tracks which most users hate?

Lie
15 (9.8%)
Lifting Shadow Off A Dream
28 (18.3%)
New Millennium
21 (13.7%)
You Not Me
5 (3.3%)
Burning My Soul
2 (1.3%)
Just Let Me Breathe
3 (2%)
Through Her Eyes
5 (3.3%)
The Answer Lies Within
6 (3.9%)
I Walk Beside You
9 (5.9%)
Never Enough
5 (3.3%)
Constant Motion
10 (6.5%)
Prophets Of War
4 (2.6%)
A Rite Of Passage
4 (2.6%)
The Best Of Times
22 (14.4%)
Build Me Up, Break Me Down
1 (0.7%)
Enigma Machine
10 (6.5%)
Raw Dog
3 (2%)

Total Members Voted: 148

Voting closed: June 11, 2014, 10:23:17 PM

Author Topic: Favourite DT track that everyone else seems to hate  (Read 4741 times)

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
Favourite DT track that everyone else seems to hate
« on: April 12, 2014, 10:23:17 PM »
Serious poll again. These are the tracks that seem to get shit on the most around here, so what's your favourite out of them?

People are likely going to question why there's no WDADU tracks - because the album as a whole seems to get a decent amount of hate, and I didn't want to put the entire thing in the poll. :lol

I've also omitted tracks that, while they are far from being loved, aren't exactly hated, either. That's why you aren't seeing stuff like Regression here.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 11:08:40 PM by Bolsters »

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
Re: Favourite DT track that everyone else seems to hate
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2014, 10:27:06 PM »
Lie. Lie is amazing.

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2014, 10:37:00 PM »
Out of that list, Constant Motion is easily my favorite. Incredibly underrated.
New Millennium is fantastic too.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Daso

• A cultivator of dread
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2014, 10:45:57 PM »
The first three, Through Her Eyes and Enigma Machine are some I consider great but get a lot of hate, or disapproval, to call it some other way. I guess I can understand it for Enigma Machine, but for me:

- Lie is a great heavy, rocking song with a phenomenal solo. I've seen the lyrics being called out a lot of times, but I don't really see what's wrong with them.
- Lifting Shadows off a Dream is pure poetry, both musically and lyrically. Everything sounds so well-thought towards forming an obscure-sounding, cold, yet uplifting and heartfelt song. It's incredible, easily on my Top 20 if not Top 15.
- New Millennium is groovy, kind of funky, well defining for what FII is as an album. My only complain could be JLB's vocals which definitely sound way too processed, but that stands for most of the album anyways.
- Through Her Eyes is pretty laid back, held up. Nothing phenomenal going on musically (no jaw-dropping solos or fifth octave notes, to name some traits), but a greatly performed and composed song for the acoustic (or semi acoustic) track it is supposed to be. And JLB really gets in the role for this one. Most vocal inflections on this song are chill inducing to me.

Also, sometimes it is not that the songs get a lot of hate but that few people hate on them a lot, or sometimes you love the song and tend to perceive the hate more. Or vice versa.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2014, 11:31:22 PM »
I rarely see Lifting Shadows Off a Dream get shit on, although one of the few who dislikes it says it a lot, so that might give the impression that more people hate it than really do.  Same goes for Lie, but to a lesser extent.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2014, 11:35:25 PM »
Admittedly, I wasn't sure about adding Lifting Shadows. But I definitely think there is enough derision towards Lie to warrant being listed here.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2014, 11:39:33 PM »
I'd like to see a "Favorite track that fans usually don't love or hate" thread. :lol  In other words, songs that rarely get mentioned as favorites, but also rarely get talked about as being among their worst.  Songs like Innocence Faded, Wither, Lost Not Forgotten, etc.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2014, 12:23:04 AM »
I would have voted for New Millennium, but I somehow missed it in the poll on my first look, so Lie got my vote. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2014, 12:29:23 AM »
I think you could've included at least Status Seeker, LFAGA and TOWHTSTS from WDADU, because those three are generally more disliked than the rest of the album (which is a shame because I love SS and The Ones... :-\)

Anyway, as Kev said, Lifting Shadows isn't really hated by a lot of people, but I voted for it because it's such a magical and beautiful song, and I started to love it after seeing it live. I like Lie and Through Her Eyes a lot, too.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2014, 12:34:42 AM »
1. You not me
2. Prophets of war

I love both of these songs.  You Not Me was obviously a nod to my ex-wife..... :lol

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2014, 12:48:03 AM »
Lie
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2014, 12:52:40 AM »
I can't recall seeing any hate for LSOAD, and Enigma Machine seems generally liked too.

I voted for CM. One of DT's many underrated metal tracks.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2014, 02:01:54 AM »
Of the songs listed, I bloody love...

Lie
New Millennium
Just Let Me Breathe
The Answer Lies Within
I Walk Beside You
Never Enough
Constant Motion
Prophets Of War
A Rite Of Passage
The Best Of Times
Build Me Up, Break Me Down
Enigma Machine

...and quite like the rest! My list of least favourite DT songs would be very different to most everyone else's. I voted Never Enough, but almost went for Enigma Machine, and could have gone for Prophets of War or I Walk Beside You, too. All brilliant songs.

I actually swung away from Enigma Machine because I don't think it is particularly hated. It's far from unanimously praised, but nothing compared to the long dark night of the soul that Never Enough and Prophets of War had to endure.

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2014, 04:38:11 AM »
I have always loved TBOT so that one gets my vote. I also think that New Millennium is really neat and I've allways enjoyed Raw Dog aswell.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2014, 04:38:42 AM »
I rarely see Lifting Shadows Off a Dream get shit on, although one of the few who dislikes it says it a lot, so that might give the impression that more people hate it than really do.  Same goes for Lie, but to a lesser extent.
This exactly, I would never have put either one of those in such a poll.

But since they are there, LSOAD is far and away the best song on this list, followed by Lie and then Enigma Machine.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline krands85

« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2014, 04:55:17 AM »
I would have voted for TMOLS if it was up there, it seems to get a lot of stick and I've always loved it - though I've seen quite a few others saying they like it recently. So from that poll, Constant Motion I guess. The first 3 in the list are quite cool too. The only ones I don't really like are the FII tracks and TBOT.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2014, 05:41:03 AM »
Had to vote New Millennium by default because it's literally in my top 5 songs.

But Constant Motion and A Rite of Passage are also top 10s for me and..

Burning My Soul, Profits of War, Build Me Up Break Me Down, The Best Of Times, Never Enough, The Answer Lies Within, Just Let Me Breath and Lifting Shadows. ALL still top 50.

So.. what's goin on here, those songs all have great moments.  :metal

Lie is probably the worst song on this list. So I really don't understand.  :lol

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2014, 08:17:37 AM »
Never Enough, for the nostalgia factor (Octavarium was the first DT CD I bought)
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2014, 08:19:57 AM »
1. I Walk Beside You
2. Never Enough
3. Through Her Eyes
4. Lifting Shadows Off A Dream
5. Enigma Machine
6. Lie
7. BMUBMD
8. The Answer Lies Within

9. the others

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2014, 08:40:31 AM »
If it were in the poll I would have gone with something like TDEN, which I was quite surprised not to see here. Otherwise, TBOT I always loved a lot for its solemn intro and absolutely beautiful guitar solo, so I'm going with that one.

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2014, 08:42:39 AM »
LSOAD, by a very wide margin

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2014, 08:43:04 AM »
If it were in the poll I would have gone with something like TDEN, which I was quite surprised not to see here.

That was the first thing I looked for too, since I love that song, and expected it to be listed. I'm surprised it isn't here considering all of the hate it gets, while other tracks listed don't seem to get that much hate imo, they just don't get universal praise.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2014, 09:24:55 AM »
TDEN does get some hate yes, but I still see a reasonable amount of praise for it. Although it isn't winning, it's even doing reasonably well in another recent poll. There's more positive things on this board about TDEN than the rest of the songs on this list.

To be honest the only thing I now regret about this poll is that I put Lifting Shadows in it, and Enigma Machine to a lesser extent. People are more indifferent towards Lifting Shadows or are bored by it, but it's not really hated. At least not to the point of being something "everyone else seems to hate". There's a lot of people who don't like Enigma Machine, but it does have more than a few fans and the people that don't like it probably don't actually hate it either.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 09:30:21 AM by Bolsters »

Offline dparrott

« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2014, 09:26:46 AM »
Too many in there for me to choose: Lie, CM, BMUBMD, POW, Enigma...
Some of those I consider my favorites, and others I just consider.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2014, 09:29:55 AM »
Lie, Lifting Shadows and New Millennium are hated? :( Why?

Can we have a poll of songs you hate that people seem to generally love?  :lol I am voting for The Glass Prison.  :rollin

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2014, 09:34:36 AM »
TDEN does get some hate yes, but I still see a reasonable amount of praise for it. Although it isn't winning, it's even doing reasonably well in another recent poll. There's more positive things on this board about TDEN than the rest of the songs on this list.

To be fair, beating out most of those songs in that poll isn't much of an achievement. :lol :P
I do think it gets more hate than a few of the songs on this poll though, but I'm glad that many people do appreciate how great a song it is. :tup

Offline SuperTaco

• why do I still exist
  • doomed to fail
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2014, 09:42:55 AM »
I like many of these songs, but I happen to especially like Never Enough.
So fking tired of being an oversensitive naive moronic fkin bitch. I CANT STOP IT. I CANT CHANGE. IM STUCK. This world eats me alive. My purpose is simply to be what others shouldn't be. A shriveled fking beacon of sad energy. I have lost. I am lost.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2014, 09:45:08 AM »
I do think it gets more hate than a few of the songs on this poll though, but I'm glad that many people do appreciate how great a song it is. :tup
Well I'm not denying TDEN gets a lot of hate, but the poll is "tracks everyone else seems to hate" after all. If we did a poll asking "Do you like TDEN?: Yes/No" no doubt there'd be more voting no than yes. It probably wouldn't even be close. But if we did the same poll for YNM, or IWBY, etc. I think they'd be even more one-sided than the results than for TDEN. :P But that's just the impression I get reading posts here, my opinion I guess. This is also why I didn't add TSF, it gets plenty of hate (including from me) but a reasonable amount of people seem to really like it aswell (edit: which is why I regret adding Enigma Machine especially).

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2014, 09:53:16 AM »
Well I'm not denying TDEN gets a lot of hate, but the poll is "tracks everyone else seems to hate" after all. If we did a poll asking "Do you like TDEN?: Yes/No" no doubt there'd be more voting no than yes. It probably wouldn't even be close. But if we did the same poll for YNM, or IWBY, etc. I think they'd be even more one-sided than the results than for TDEN. :P But that's just the impression I get reading posts here, my opinion I guess. This is also why I didn't add TSF, it gets plenty of hate (including from me) but a reasonable amount of people seem to really like it aswell (edit: which is why I regret adding Enigma Machine especially).

I guess I don't disagree with your assessment of TDEN compared to the more universally disliked tracks, but yeah, it was more a comment on a few of the inclusions here that I would at least put in the same boat as TDEN, such as Lie, LSOAD, and Enigma Machine.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2014, 10:36:26 AM »
Definitely The Answer Lies Within. Sure it's simple and in 4/4 and isn't super technical but so what ? It's really nice and has lovely melodies and I cannot listen to that song without singing the harmonies in the chorus.  :heart

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2014, 10:39:40 AM »
Lie, Lifting Shadows and New Millennium are hated? :( Why?

Can we have a poll of songs you hate that people seem to generally love?  :lol I am voting for The Glass Prison.  :rollin

A Change Of Seasons.

Offline Clancy Wiggum

« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2014, 11:15:51 AM »
Voted New Millenium - one of my DT top 10, possibly top 5 even.

This is actually a very strong list of songs that I could happily listen to from start to finish. Enigma Machine, Raw Dog and You Not Me are in my view the weakest but even then I certainly don't hate them.

Offline iamtheeviltwin

« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2014, 11:29:45 AM »
1. You not me
2. Prophets of war

I love both of these songs.  You Not Me was obviously a nod to my ex-wife..... :lol

Glad to see at least one kindred spirit around here.  Both of these songs are among my favorite DT songs and have been for years...it wasn't until I hooked into the wider world of the internet DT fandom that I discovered I should hate them.  :biggrin:

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2014, 12:25:44 PM »
Most of them. 

My first thoughts were:

You Not Me
Take Away My Pain (the album version which is to say the non-Kenny G version)
Anna Lee
Just about any song from SC which really divides the fans, especially Prophets of War
A Rite of Passage
BMUBMD (which is what I chose in the poll because that got the most unnecessary criticism....especially from some drummer)

Offline jammindude

« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2014, 12:52:20 PM »
Lifting Shadows is my favorite track on that whole list....but I didn't vote for it because, as someone said, I really don't see it getting that much hate and so I don't believe it belongs on this list.

I voted New Millennium.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude