17 (12.9%)
A Nightmare to Remember
6 (4.5%)
On the Backs of Angels
3 (2.3%)
False Awakening Suite
3 (2.3%)

Total Members Voted: 126

Author Topic: Best DT Album Opener  (Read 2464 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Best DT Album Opener
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2014, 01:29:06 PM »
While it's not the best song per se, when you consider that it sets the tone for the rest of the album, probably moreso than any other track 1 in their history, you really could argue that Regression is their best opener (as opposed to just picking the best song that just happens to be track 1).

Kevin, I agree. Regression is especially effective on Live Scenes From New York.

The Glass Prison is actually not aging that well for me. But I remember bringing 6 Degrees home and putting it on. The Glass Prison made me go  :omg:. I actually played it a second time to check if what I heard was actually what I thought I heard before moving on to the rest of the album.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2014, 01:34:52 PM »
The Glass Prison, killer opener.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2014, 02:58:50 PM »
While it's not the best song per se, when you consider that it sets the tone for the rest of the album, probably moreso than any other track 1 in their history, you really could argue that Regression is their best opener (as opposed to just picking the best song that just happens to be track 1).

Kevin, I agree. Regression is especially effective on Live Scenes From New York.

The Glass Prison is actually not aging that well for me. But I remember bringing 6 Degrees home and putting it on. The Glass Prison made me go  :omg:. I actually played it a second time to check if what I heard was actually what I thought I heard before moving on to the rest of the album.

I can't say it's not aging well for me, but I don't rank it as highly as I used to.  I used to consider it a top 15 or so DT song, but now it would probably be in the 25-30 range for me. I still love it to pieces, but some songs have simply aged better for me, while a handful of songs from the last three albums have surpassed it, thus dropping it even more spots.

Offline Enalya

« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2014, 11:47:44 AM »
Still surprised to see there's not that much appreciation for A Nightmare To Remember. I clicked it even before reading the others ones - it's a masterpiece to me and has been at my top list of songs since I started listening DT. :hefdaddy

Offline Ravenfoul

« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2014, 11:52:45 AM »
Still surprised to see there's not that much appreciation for A Nightmare To Remember. I clicked it even before reading the others ones - it's a masterpiece to me and has been at my top list of songs since I started listening DT. :hefdaddy
Don't know if I'd call it the best, but hey, I love that (whole album) opener myself!

Offline 54_diplomats

« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2014, 12:13:40 AM »
Ah this is a tough one. I love almost all of these songs. It's definitely close between 6:00, The Glass Prison, ITPOE pt.1 and The Root of All Evil.

I'll give this one to The Glass Prison.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2014, 04:41:20 AM »
6:00. When it kicked in, it's like a declaration that the album is different from the popular preceding album.

Offline Invisible

« Reply #42 on: April 20, 2014, 09:48:24 PM »
Regression is awesome, that and New Millenium were my second and third choices. I chose 6:00 for the same reason as you: it sets the mood of Awake immediately, and it's a different approach than the classic "heavy song goes first" move.

By the way, I think Pull Me Under is not that great opener, killer track though.

Offline James Sucellus

« Reply #43 on: April 20, 2014, 09:50:57 PM »
6:00.

A key statement of artistic intent regarding what will separate Awake from the previous album, whilst also being catchy as hell.

Offline son_ov_hades

« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2014, 06:50:30 AM »
A Fortune In Lies is one of the most iconic opening moments I can think of. From the moment the needle drops to the first drum beat and those huge opening chords, magical! 6:00 is a close second.
"Ok, these guys are only catering to the hardcore fanbase that already bought the $8000 meet and greet package complete with signed LaBrie eye patch"